Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1471 of 1479 Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 305
This is why always using mod16 is a good idea. Not all hardware players understand H.264's autocropping convention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1479 Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Air or Cable choice in firmware?

Hi,
I just received the QAM updated firmware from Mediasonic and believe I updated the firmware correctly, but I don't see any choice to select Air or Cable. Can anyone tell me what screen this should be on?
Thanks.
post #1473 of 1479 Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 158
There should be a "Signal Type" option under the Channel Search menu, just above "Modulation."

If it's not there, either your firmware update didn't "take" or the updated firmware isn't QAM enabled. You can check your firmware version with the "Information" option under the System menu. The SW version should contain "QAM."
post #1474 of 1479 Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This is why always using mod16 is a good idea. Not all hardware players understand H.264's autocropping convention.
Confirmed! With modulus set to 16, Knight Rider crops to 544x480 instead of 540x480. 544 is divisible by 16 and the file plays correctly on the Homeworx. Only drawback is the file's slightly larger (since 4 fewer pixels were cropped), but it's still significantly smaller than the original.

Edit: Well, I spoke too soon. I re-transcoded a bunch of videos today with modulus set to 16. This fixed most of them, but even though this gave them all standard dimensions, a few still wouldn't play correctly on the HW! The troublesome videos were ones that defaulted to cropping both horizontally and vertically. To get those to play correctly, I had to resort to turning off cropping completely, which is rather inconvenient on Handbrake (you have to select "Custom" then manually enter 0's for all four cropping values).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-28-2014 at 10:42 PM.
post #1475 of 1479 Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Okay, so it turned out that the flash drive needed to be formatted to fat32 for the firmware to take. Seems to be working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
There should be a "Signal Type" option under the Channel Search menu, just above "Modulation."

If it's not there, either your firmware update didn't "take" or the updated firmware isn't QAM enabled. You can check your firmware version with the "Information" option under the System menu. The SW version should contain "QAM."
post #1476 of 1479 Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM

Searching for stations

Hi,
Is there a way to switch back and forth between clear QAM and OTA and still retain my channel search selections for each?
Thanks.
post #1477 of 1479 Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I read over on the iView thread that this works. Of course, you'll need an A/B RF switch to switch your Homeworx's RF input between antenna and cable.

I think you can only auto-search one band (say, antenna). Then you switch to the other band, throw the A/B switch, and manually add its channels one at a time.

But that's just from my fallible memory. You may want to check the first five posts at the iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-29-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Remove repeated word "thread"
post #1478 of 1479 Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think I read over on the iView thread that this works. Of course, you'll need an A/B RF switch to switch your Homeworx's RF input between antenna and cable.

I think you can only auto-search one band (say, antenna). Then you switch to the other band, throw the A/B switch, and manually add its channels one at a time.

But that's just from my fallible memory. You may want to check the first five posts at the iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread thread.
This is correct.
post #1479 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
This is correct.
Okay, so it is possible to have either the QAM and OTA stations available if the feed is switched. I am now wondering if there is a way to save the channel line up when the unit is unplugged (or through a power outage).
post #1480 of 1479 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3000 View Post
Okay, so it is possible to have either the QAM and OTA stations available if the feed is switched. I am now wondering if there is a way to save the channel line up when the unit is unplugged (or through a power outage).
Well, simply unplugging it (after putting into standby) should not reset the box and erase channels. If you have a power outage and it doesn't shut down properly, it may or may not reset. Sometimes my iview would just reset to factory defaults all by itself for no reason, although the later firmware cut down on that a lot. Also, sometimes it would randomly delete individual channels, even while I was watching them, but not the whole channel line up. If you find that on whatever hardware/software combo you are running that it does delete all your channels when unplugging, then no there is nothing you can do to save them.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page