7Likes

post #1501 of 1525 Old 09-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genzy7 View Post
Here's the deal. Canceled cable a few months back, but kept high speed internet. Our HDTV continued to receive expanded cable channels. I thought this was because the TV had an internal antenna as indicated by antenna icon near on screen channel numbers. I want to record those programs so began looking into DVR's and found the Mediasonic HW150PVR.

I bought this unit after reading reviews that confirmed it could be used to record channels my HDTV was picking up via it's internal antenna. After configuring cables several ways and not being able to scan any channels from my TVs tuner, I decided to try connecting coax cable and was surprised to find out signal to HDTV was interrupted, could I have cable service after all? I shot off an email to Mediasonic customer support to see if this unit could work for me given above.

Come to find out via Mediasonic customer support that tv's don't include internal antennas (hm?) and I am probably getting analog channels and this unit wouldn't work. After researching I believed I might be picking up QAM channels from my cable provider (since we canceled our subscription) and requested a firmware upgrade as found in previous forums. Completed upgrade and scan, but only able to pick up some channels, mostly local. Very confused!

I have researched and found that cable provider may be encrypting channels. If this is true, then can someone explain why my HDTV is picking up these "encrypted" channels but this unit cannot?

Could it be as simple as trying to manually search for these channels? If this is what I should try then does anyone know how I can find the "real" channel number for these expanded networks?

Or could my HDTV really have an antenna and the fix would be to try getting an external digital antenna?

I have spent too much time trying to figure this out. Happy with local channels, but would like the to be able to record from other channels. If this is not the right unit then any other affordable options out there (under $200)?

I canceled cable to save money, why our HDTV continues to get expanded channels I do not know, but would like to be able to record a few shows. Anyone able to help?

Thank you in advance!!
You are confusing an antenna with a tuner. TVs have built-in tuners, analog, digital, or both. They "tune" whatever signal they receive whether it is from cable or an antenna.

My best friend is my PAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1525 Old 09-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm about ready to throw my box out the window. If I set a recording overnight and put the box in standby mode (red light on) the recording disappears from the "to do" list and it doesn't record anything. So to get around that I try setting the recording before bed, and leaving the box completely on... then it freezes up totally, and does nothing. I can't win. Companies shouldn't release crap like this.
post #1503 of 1525 Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
help, pleeease heeelp

I have the hw-150 connected to an Onkyo NR609 receiver which is connected to my Optoma hd20 and I do not get a picture or sound. I removed the receiver from the equation and connected directly to the projector and the video works. I set up the channels and changed the audio to RAW HDMI on and connected it back up to the receiver. Now the audio works, but I still do not get a picture. I have played with the settings on the receiver and used 2 hdmi cables but no luck. Is there a known issue with connecting HDMI to some receivers, Onkyo in particular? I have searched and found that some people have had issues with their receivers, but nothing about issues with Onkyos.

thanks
post #1504 of 1525 Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I'm about ready to throw my box out the window. If I set a recording overnight and put the box in standby mode (red light on) the recording disappears from the "to do" list and it doesn't record anything. So to get around that I try setting the recording before bed, and leaving the box completely on... then it freezes up totally, and does nothing. I can't win. Companies shouldn't release crap like this.
This thing is really nothing more than a glorified digital conversion box that can schedule recordings (if your lucky). Get yourself a real dvr from someone like Channel Master or Tivo.
unclehonkey likes this.
post #1505 of 1525 Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe00877 View Post
I have the hw-150 connected to an Onkyo NR609 receiver which is connected to my Optoma hd20 and I do not get a picture or sound. I removed the receiver from the equation and connected directly to the projector and the video works. I set up the channels and changed the audio to RAW HDMI on and connected it back up to the receiver. Now the audio works, but I still do not get a picture. I have played with the settings on the receiver and used 2 hdmi cables but no luck. Is there a known issue with connecting HDMI to some receivers, Onkyo in particular? I have searched and found that some people have had issues with their receivers, but nothing about issues with Onkyos.

thanks
Sounds like an HDMI handshaking issue between your AVR and TV. Since the AVR is getting audio, the HDMI connection between the Homeworx and AVR apparently works.

Try changing the Homeworx's video output resolution (with the HDMI button on the remote). It's possible that one resolution will work even if others don't.

Since you have the audio working, you could also bypass the HDMI issue entirely by connecting component video cables between the Homeworx and your TV.
post #1506 of 1525 Old 09-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sounds like an HDMI handshaking issue between your AVR and TV. Since the AVR is getting audio, the HDMI connection between the Homeworx and AVR apparently works.

Try changing the Homeworx's video output resolution (with the HDMI button on the remote). It's possible that one resolution will work even if others don't.

Since you have the audio working, you could also bypass the HDMI issue entirely by connecting component video cables between the Homeworx and your TV.
Thanks! That's what it was. My onkyo receiver does the hdmi dropout thing from time to time and I have to unplug the receiver. that has solved the problem the other few times it has done it. It hadn't done it in a while and it was JUST working fine prior to hooking up the new box. Works great now
post #1507 of 1525 Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post
This thing is really nothing more than a glorified digital conversion box that can schedule recordings (if your lucky). Get yourself a real dvr from someone like Channel Master or Tivo.

What luck? Mine works fine. Not everybody has money to spend on electronics and digital program guides.
post #1508 of 1525 Old 10-02-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Your luck using the HW to record may depend on your local stations.

My HW records from my This!, Me-TV, and Cozi TV affiliates pretty reliably. But I can't record my Retro TV affiliate even though I can watch it fine on the HW. There are just too many issues with their data stream. (Bad PSIP time, one of the most common issues with scheduled recordings, is only one of 31.4's issues.)

OTOH, my other HW can record Tulsa's Retro TV affiliate fine. So it depends on the station, not the network.

That may be one reason why some folks have a lot more trouble than others with recordings on the HW.

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to spend either >$200 up-front or $15 each month, there's not much else in the marketplace. Seems like there's a gap there: I bet a lot of folks would pay around $120 or so for a very basic but reliable, HW-style, 2-tuner DVR.
post #1509 of 1525 Old 10-03-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, unless you're willing to spend either >$200 up-front or $15 each month, there's not much else in the marketplace. Seems like there's a gap there: I bet a lot of folks would pay around $120 or so for a very basic but reliable, HW-style, 2-tuner DVR.

I agree. For about $80 to $120 one should be able to record anything on over the air TV. And subscription fees should be optional but not necessary.
post #1510 of 1525 Old 10-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
I agree. For about $80 to $120 one should be able to record anything on over the air TV. And subscription fees should be optional but not necessary.
Im going by memory, but when VCRs had tuners didnt they sell in the $75-$100 range? So I think a 2 tuner DVR with an internal 500GB/1TB HDD in the $100-$200 range wouldnt be out of line. Make it like a VCR, manual time and program setting and not relying on PSIP data which IMHO is the reason my Homeworx operates sporadically. If I set a timer from 8:59 to 10:01 then start and end at those times, based on my clock, and record whether the signal is poor, excellent, or somewhere in between! BTW I paid $275 for my PAL and IMHO it was well worth it.

My best friend is my PAL
post #1511 of 1525 Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I think I'm going to go with a TiVO... I know the monthly fee applies, but it seems to be the most stable solution. I tried the DVR+ but the tuner in it is too sensitive for my area. I'm in one DMA officially, but actually closer to the towers of another DMA that I prefer. The problem is that DMA uses two tower clusters.. the "close" stations overpowered the DVR+'s tuner, but the far away stations tower cluster wouldn't be receivable without the pre-amp. Plus the new TiVo's records from 4 tuners at a time. I can live with the monthly fee (or possibly a lifetime plan purchase) for that convenience.
post #1512 of 1525 Old 10-04-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Plus the new TiVo's records from 4 tuners at a time. I can live with the monthly fee (or possibly a lifetime plan purchase) for that convenience.
Be sure that you buy the Roamio Basic and not the Roamio OTA if you want the lifetime subscription. The Roamio OTA only allows the monthly fee.
post #1513 of 1525 Old 10-04-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
I'm going by memory, but when VCRs had tuners didn't they sell in the $75-$100 range? So I think a 2 tuner DVR with an internal 500GB/1TB HDD in the $100-$200 range wouldnt be out of line. Make it like a VCR, manual time and program setting and not relying on PSIP data which IMHO is the reason my Homeworx operates sporadically. If I set a timer from 8:59 to 10:01 then start and end at those times, based on my clock, and record whether the signal is poor, excellent, or somewhere in between! BTW I paid $275 for my PAL and IMHO it was well worth it.
What you describe is essentially the Funai HD DVR. A nice basic DVR w/o an EPG; why on Earth is it over $200?

Just adding up the components, based on current costs: one HW with its one tuner is about $40, so two tuners shouldn't be more than $80, plus another $50-$60 for a 500GB-1TB HDD, works out to around $130-$140. Those are retail prices so it should still be profitable at that price. And I don't see why they couldn't include the HW's basic EPG too (when available, it does make it simpler to schedule recordings than entering everything manually; when unavailable, i.e., cable, you could fall back to VCR-style scheduling).
post #1514 of 1525 Old 10-04-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think I'm going to go with a TiVO... I know the monthly fee applies, but it seems to be the most stable solution. I tried the DVR+ but the tuner in it is too sensitive for my area. I'm in one DMA officially, but actually closer to the towers of another DMA that I prefer.

The problem is that DMA uses two tower clusters.. the "close" stations overpowered the DVR+'s tuner, but the far away stations tower cluster wouldn't be receivable without the pre-amp. Plus the new TiVos record from 4 tuners at a time. I can live with the monthly fee (or possibly a lifetime plan purchase) for that convenience.
Unless you've successfully tried it already, I wouldn't assume TiVo's tuners would handle your unusual situation any better than the DVR+ did. It's possible they will, but you may find you need a DVR with two RF inputs, so you can feed an amplified signal to one input and an attenuated signal to the other.

I don't think the Roamios have two RF inputs, but most of the earlier TiVos did. I think they dropped the second input when they came out with the Premiere 4, so if you could get a TiVo model older than the Premiere 4 used, that would probably be your best bet (although those models may not have 4 tuners).
post #1515 of 1525 Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unless you've successfully tried it already, I wouldn't assume TiVo's tuners would handle your unusual situation any better than the DVR+ did. It's possible they will, but you may find you need a DVR with two RF inputs, so you can feed an amplified signal to one input and an attenuated signal to the other.

I don't think the Roamios have two RF inputs, but most of the earlier TiVos did. I think they dropped the second input when they came out with the Premiere 4, so if you could get a TiVo model older than the Premiere 4 used, that would probably be your best bet (although those models may not have 4 tuners).
Well all my TV's work fine with the antenna feed as it is currently configured, as do the DirecTV AM21N, and the HW-150PVR (minus its technical quirks). The DVR+ just is overly sensitive, or at least mine was. I thought about the older Premiere, but it would limit me to two tuners vs the 4 the new one offers.
post #1516 of 1525 Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting - if all those other devices work OK, then I guess the odds are pretty good that a TiVo (even with only one RF input) will also work. Heed Aleron's warning about the Roamio OTA though: lifetime is expensive up-front but raises the resale value if you ever decide to part with your TiVo, and the OTA doesn't give you that option.

Surprising that the DVR+ is the only device you've had an issue with in your environment. Perhaps I should steer clear of it also. I too have a mix of strong & weak stations (in my case, full-power & low-power stations in the same tower farm), which has been somewhat challenging for my HW-150, but a ton of trial and error aiming my antenna has managed to get the HW working with all but three very weak and useless stations (well, and one station - Retro TV - with unrelated issues).

My HW choked on Retro TV again this weekend, but for a different reason than last time. This time it did the crazy thing where it deletes and rebuilds all my subchannels, and my timer somehow ended up pointing to a completely unrelated channel on a different RF frequency (RF 21 instead of RF 31), which it recorded for about eight seconds! That station records OK on my PC but is just hopeless with the HW.
post #1517 of 1525 Old 10-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't recommend trying it, sounds like you are in the same situation I am. It was frustrating to say the least. I tried everything, I've seen others with the DVR+ post the same information. It just seems like the slightest variation in signal throws its' tuner all off and it doesn't work at all. Even strong channels that I pick up at nearly 100% didn't come in on it, but neither did the slightly weaker channels. You could forget the marginal channels all together. The unit itself was great though. I loved their guide setup and it correctly identified all local channels from both my markets.

I have DirecTV with an HD-PVR that can record from it via component but the problem is their format isn't to spec for Blu-Ray. If I capture a recording from DirecTV I have to do it in real time, THEN let it re-encode it again on the computer (8+ hours) for Blu-Ray. Recording off air I can just copy the file off the hard drive, run it through a profile I created in VideoReDo and it burns to Blu-Ray perfectly. What attracted me about the TiVo was the ability to record OTA and then copy the recordings to my PC over the network. I wish I had a test HD .tivo file to ensure their output is going to be compatible though. I'd hate to buy a TiVo and find myself in the same boat again.
post #1518 of 1525 Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 373
If you want to be able to copy the TS file from your DVR so you can strip the commercials with Video ReDo for burning to Blu-ray, the TViX 6620 will let you copy files over FTP and SMB, as well as USB.
post #1519 of 1525 Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion

Is there any way to get the HW 150 to record and playback closed captions? And sub titles?
post #1520 of 1525 Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
Is there any way to get the HW 150 to record and playback closed captions? And sub titles?
They're already recorded. You have to use a different player to play them back however. You can use VLC on a computer.
post #1521 of 1525 Old 10-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does the pause function to pause live tv work good? I'm not really into recording TV because i have all of my shows I watch through Hulu plus but I just want the option to pause tv while I do stuff and come back to watch it. Should I pick this up or should I go a different route. The simplier the better!
post #1522 of 1525 Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiera View Post
Does the pause function to pause live tv work good? I'm not really into recording TV because i have all of my shows I watch through Hulu plus but I just want the option to pause tv while I do stuff and come back to watch it. Should I pick this up or should I go a different route. The simplier the better!
It works fine as long as you are using a hard drive. Flash drives have buffering problems that often cause stuttering on full HD stations.

It will only time shift up to 4GB (you have to set this in the menu since it's not the default) which is about 30 minutes of full HD. If you need more than that time, you can hit record instead and timeshift in the recording (again, for this feature you want to use a HDD).
post #1523 of 1525 Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I tested recording Retro on channel 31.4 again last weekend and surprisingly, it worked this time! I was amazed. I'd pretty much given up on recording this channel with the HW.

31.4's PSIP time is still wrong, so I have to tune the HW to another channel with accurate time the night before - and then again after the recording is done, but before any other scheduled recordings start. Also, it's best to first tune to Retro the night before, then tune to the other channel - that gives me a chance to fix things in case the HW FUBARs channel 31's map, as it does on occasion.

And even with all those precautions, it still might not work. So if the recording were a "must," I'd certainly rely on my Pal and/or PC instead. But now I know I can set the HW to record it also, as a possible fallback in case something goes wrong with the Pal/PC.
post #1524 of 1525 Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 PM

Liked: 10
Thumbs down Homeworx deletes timers

Does the Iview have the same recording issue of the homeworx? Whenever I try to set a recording for the next few days on the homeworx, it never records it and deletes the timers I set.

I do have 2.0 usb drive hooked up to it and I have set to loop through.

Would this cause my problems?
post #1525 of 1525 Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So something new happened yesterday. I was recording and all I saw was a black screen when i checked the recording. Happen to anyone?

post #1526 of 1525 Old 10-16-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhilb11 View Post
Does the Iview have the same recording issue of the homeworx? Whenever I try to set a recording for the next few days on the homeworx, it never records it and deletes the timers I set.

I do have 2.0 usb drive hooked up to it and I have set to loop through.

Would this cause my problems?
Shouldn't be a problem with your drive or loop through. Instead, it sounds like the same issue I have with channel 31. If anything in the map for that channel is different than it was the last time you tuned to it, it acts as if you deleted the channel then manually scanned it in again.

Some stations (Ion is often one) just make the Homeworx do this a lot; unfortunately, the iView firmware does the same thing. (But iView's remote is nicer.) Best workaround I've found is to tune to the troublesome station the day before the recording; hopefully, if it's going to screw up it'll do so then, giving you time to re-enter the timer.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-16-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page