Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1531 of 1828 Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penetronn View Post
So a little news to break here - checking the Xbox One devices setup, a search for set top boxes revealed iView3500STB as an option! So apparently it is now supported.

I have not yet purchased a box. I supposed this would allow for the purchase of either an iView or Homeworx box then. I believe they use a similar SoC. Is there an advantage of the hardware of one over the other? Or just personal preference?
That's good to hear. There are just minor differences. Front LED display on the iview of an assigned (not actual) channel number for instance. Software support for clear QAM on the iview (which you shouldn't count on working well anyway) but Homeworx has unofficial clear QAM versions. Only the iview has the semi-transparency. It's at preset levels so you cannot adjust it to total transparency - you probably still won't like it very much but it would be an improvement over no transparency. There are several hardware versions of both the Homeworx and Iview. Some software versions cross over between revs and/or are backwards compatible and some require only their specific firmware. I would look up and maybe ask on the Xbox forums if people have experience using the Xbox One with specific hardware/software revs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1828 Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 865
The main difference between the two currently seems to be that the new version of the iView with the 3/4 switch on the back no longer allows antenna passthrough when it's on, meaning if you want to use the RF out on the iView to feed a TV's tuner or another DVR, the RF out will only work when the iView is off, thus preventing both the iView and the other device from tuning something at the same time. The Homeworx doesn't have this problem, nor do the original iView revisions.
post #1533 of 1828 Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno_69 View Post
Thanks JeffWld,
How do I get my hands on the firmware file?
Dan
I emailed to get the updated firmware.
Do I guess that people stopped posting them here cause too many versions and hardware and people bricking their systems?

BTW, the forums are back online.
However, registration has a question that is not very obvious so I gave up.
Quote:
What is the model of Mediasonic 2 Bay enclosure? (check forum for answer)
post #1534 of 1828 Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpruett View Post
btw, the forums are back online.
However, registration has a question that is not very obvious so i gave up.
hur3-su3s3
rdwalt likes this.
post #1535 of 1828 Old 12-12-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Do I guess that people stopped posting them here cause too many versions and hardware and people bricking their systems?
Mostly because Mediasonic asked us not to.

But since the V1 boxes came out, there has been a risk of people bricking their boxes, so it's probably good that we listened to them. A lot of folks would probably think V1 is a lot older than V14 and screw up their box trying to "upgrade" their V1 boxes. That's also why the developer just dropped the misleading V-numbers entirely in the latest round, I'd bet.
post #1536 of 1828 Old 12-14-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Upgraded from a Class 4 mini-SD Card to a class 10 Samsung mini-SD card. One quirky thing is that I had to reformat it outside of the PVR in order for it to work. Kinda quirky but alls well that ends well. On titantv looking for things to record as we speak lol.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1537 of 1828 Old 12-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Folks - I've got an international 1080p LCD TV that supports PAL, SECAM, NTSC, but not ATSC... making the TV rather useless for over the air TV in the USA.

Will this box, the HW-150PVR provide 1080i/p output to my TV via the HDMI output in back?

Thanks.
post #1538 of 1828 Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongEagle View Post
Folks - I've got an international 1080p LCD TV that supports PAL, SECAM, NTSC, but not ATSC... making the TV rather useless for over the air TV in the USA.

Will this box, the HW-150PVR provide 1080i/p output to my TV via the HDMI output in back?

Thanks.
yes
post #1539 of 1828 Old 12-29-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I second that, as long as your TV is capable of displaying 60hz material, which if it displays NTSC it should, you're good to go.
post #1540 of 1828 Old 12-30-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello, I read through this thread but can't find an answer to my question. I've both emailed mediasonic and posted on their forum, but haven't found a solution yet.

I've connected my HW150 (just bought a week ago) to the Xbox One using an HDMI cable and it looks great. Everything works as it should, however the Xbox one is unable to control the HW150. I'm using an IR cable that works when plugged into my IR blaster system (so I know it's functional) but seems to not work when plugged into my Xbox one. I've added the unit to my Xbox one settings two different ways, both using MediaSonic HW150PVR, and HomeWorx HW150PVR. Both show that it's using the same remote code, but neither methods provide IR control. I've told the Xbox one to use IR, as I don't have a kinect. I've also tried changing the remote code to different ones mentioned in the forums, but it always says it's an invalid code.

So, right now, I have HDMI output going into the Xbox one, which is working great, but no control with the IR cable plugged into the back of the Xbox one. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks!
post #1541 of 1828 Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What has been added with the new firmware? Anything useful?

post #1542 of 1828 Old 12-30-2014, 04:20 PM

I'm convinced this has something to do with the codes... Here's what I've tried and the results;

N4076 (default): valid, no response
N2058: invalid error
N4615: invalid error
N01FF: invalid error

N2851: valid, flashes screen on channel change, but no noticeable affect. No text appears on the screen either, so it's not sending recognizable channel change data. Also, box doesn't turn off/on.

I'm guessing my unit has a firmware that isn't compatible with the IR commands the xbox one expects it should receive. Argh.
post #1543 of 1828 Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just reporting a weird bug that is happening for me. When I hit the 'USB' button on the remote, about 50% of the time, the screen goes blank and I have to hard reset my PVR. Needless to say, I don't navigate to the USB data that was anymore.

The other bug I've noticed (although I have no idea what triggers it) is that the PVR becomes unresponsive to the remote, and after 30 seconds or so, automatically reboots itself and becomes operational again.

Quirky indeed but still good bang for my buck overall.
post #1544 of 1828 Old 01-01-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
What has been added with the new firmware? Anything useful?
V1 just supports the demod chip used in the newest HW boxes. Not sure what the next (un-V-numbered) version did, other than introducing a new bug (all dates were 5 days off); Mediasonic released yet another unnumbered version to fix that bug.

Unfortunately it seems there is no current development being done on the HW or iView firmware to address long-standing bugs; only to support hardware changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthibode View Post
I'm convinced this has something to do with the codes... Here's what I've tried and the results;

N4076 (default): valid, no response
N2058: invalid error
N4615: invalid error
N01FF: invalid error

N2851: valid, flashes screen on channel change, but no noticeable affect. No text appears on the screen either, so it's not sending recognizable channel change data. Also, box doesn't turn off/on.

I'm guessing my unit has a firmware that isn't compatible with the IR commands the xbox one expects it should receive. Argh.
Check the photo of the HW remote in the first post of this thread. Does your remote look the same?

If it does, I don't know what the problem might be: others have successfully controlled the HW with their XBoxes; the XBox sends that remote's codes.

If it's different, then Mediasonic has changed the remote. Post a photo here; maybe someone will recognize it.
post #1545 of 1828 Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Check the photo of the HW remote in the first post of this thread. Does your remote look the same?

If it does, I don't know what the problem might be: others have successfully controlled the HW with their XBoxes; the XBox sends that remote's codes.

If it's different, then Mediasonic has changed the remote. Post a photo here; maybe someone will recognize it.
I checked and the remote looks identical to the one in the first post, which they claim is the "new" remote, with the timer button to the right of the rec button.

Thanks.
post #1546 of 1828 Old 01-01-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm baffled then. I know several folks are using the XBox with the HW150. The XBox emulates the remote control you have.

BTW, the "new" remote isn't all that new. When the HW150 first came out, it came with the same remote but with some buttons laid out somewhat differently. That was the "old" remote.

The "old" remote didn't have a dash button, which gave the XBox fits trying to change to channels under 10. If you tried to tune to 2-1 it would tune to channel 21 instead

By now, most HW150 owners have one with the "new" remote. I do have one of the "old" ones, but I replaced its firmware with iView firmware so I could use iView's remote instead. (I like iView's remote better.)
post #1547 of 1828 Old 01-02-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
V1 just supports the demod chip used in the newest HW boxes. Not sure what the next (un-V-numbered) version did, other than introducing a new bug (all dates were 5 days off); Mediasonic released yet another unnumbered version to fix that bug.

Unfortunately it seems there is no current development being done on the HW or iView firmware to address long-standing bugs; only to support hardware changes.

Thanks for the reply JH. I have V14 do you think it's worth the update?

post #1548 of 1828 Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

No - your box has the old Samsung demod chip. V1 and subsequent firmware versions won't work with it. AFAIK V14 is the latest from Mediasonic that will work with our older boxes.

IMO the only upgrade worth considering would be loading iView firmware (version V13a). That's mainly just to use iView's remote, although iView's firmware also has a menu transparency option you may like. If you want to try this, you need to do two things first:

1. Get an iView remote (or a universal remote that emulates it) first. Once you load iView firmware, the HW remote won't work anymore.
  2. Get a backup copy of V14 in case you want to switch back. The easiest way is probably to email Mediasonic, give them the system info for your HW, and request the QAM version of V14. (It will still work with OTA stations.)

Once you've done both of those things, you can download iView V13a firmware at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...ll_flashAA.bin onto a thumb drive and install it on your HW.

There will be some incompatibilities. The channel up/down buttons on the box itself won't work - you must use the iView remote to change channels. And it may disable some of the HW's outputs, such as the L/R analog audio outputs. Finally, if you're using an XBox or universal remote to control your HW, you'll need to set it for an iView model 3500STBII instead.
post #1549 of 1828 Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthibode View Post
Hello, I read through this thread but can't find an answer to my question. I've both emailed mediasonic and posted on their forum, but haven't found a solution yet.

I've connected my HW150 (just bought a week ago) to the Xbox One using an HDMI cable and it looks great. Everything works as it should, however the Xbox one is unable to control the HW150. I'm using an IR cable that works when plugged into my IR blaster system (so I know it's functional) but seems to not work when plugged into my Xbox one. I've added the unit to my Xbox one settings two different ways, both using MediaSonic HW150PVR, and HomeWorx HW150PVR. Both show that it's using the same remote code, but neither methods provide IR control. I've told the Xbox one to use IR, as I don't have a kinect. I've also tried changing the remote code to different ones mentioned in the forums, but it always says it's an invalid code.

So, right now, I have HDMI output going into the Xbox one, which is working great, but no control with the IR cable plugged into the back of the Xbox one. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks!
I've been reading about this device being added to my xb1 and in my travels I've seen lots of complaints about the IR extender not really working great. Many have reported success by basically taping the ir cable to the pvr directly. Even if separated by a small distance the results were mixed at best.
post #1550 of 1828 Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyxtc View Post
I've been reading about this device being added to my xb1 and in my travels I've seen lots of complaints about the IR extender not really working great. Many have reported success by basically taping the ir cable to the pvr directly. Even if separated by a small distance the results were mixed at best.
I'm returning this unit and purchasing the iView 3500STB instead. I don't expect any better support, but I at least expect the xbox one to control it if it says it should. I think MediaSonic adjusted their firmware and that's the cause of it not working. Hopefully this other unit works out of the box! I really wish Microsoft would just release a usb atsc tuner, that would be SO nice. Thanks to everyone that offered help.
post #1551 of 1828 Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

BTW, the forums are back online.
However, registration has a question that is not very obvious so I gave up.
Ordered 2 units, 1 from Newegg and the other from Amazon

Newegg HW-150PVR14074319V2 ________ | This unit works absolutely fine exept for
SW Version: CL503883 140215 V18 ______ | closed captions ( Says INVALID when CC button
HW Version: 7816-1237-ATSC-V18 _______ | is pressed on recording playback)

Amazon HW-150PVR141015750V3 _____ | This unit locks up a lot and sometimes doesn't
SW Version: NOV 18 2014 16:44:14 _____ | record the full amount of time. The CC's display,
HW Version: MLG7802-ATSC-V3 _________ | but are in english on english channels and spanish on spanish
_________________________________ | channels. I need eng. subs on spanish channels

Can I assume that the Amazon unit is SW Ver. V3?

Will V10 solve these problems? If so, which PVR update GOD do I need to suck up to?

Thanks for your help.
larryintx
post #1552 of 1828 Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

No, the old V3 units (I bought one) actually showed V3 after the SW version, not after the HW version. Your Amazon HW150 is one of the newer boxes with an "unnumbered" firmware version.

Regarding the NewEgg box: I've never seen an HW150 with V18 firmware before! Looks like it has the Samsung demod. The latest firmware I was aware of for that chip was V14.

Anyway, the bug with closed captions is a long-standing one. Most HW150's simply won't display them on playback - they only work during live viewing. What's surprising is that your Amazon box does display them on playback! That means Mediasonic actually fixed a bug - although due to hardware differences, the Amazon box's firmware wouldn't be compatible with your NewEgg box.

I think it'd be worth emailing Mediasonic and seeing if they have a fix (V19?) for your NewEgg box. If they do, let us know: several other HW150 owners would also like to get this bug fixed.

Regarding English subs on Spanish channels: not all channels broadcast these, but if they do, they're usually on service CC3. I know that's true for both Univision y Telemundo en DFW. See if you can set your Amazon box to CC3 in the menu.
post #1553 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi, Folks.

As this thread is still current and seems to be going strong, may I safely assume this unit (HW-150PVR) is still a good buy?

Is the HW-180STB worthy of consideration? Are there any other units that I should consider first?

My intended purpose is only to take OTA broadcasts directly into my HTR for convenience (though the PVR may come in handy). My TV is really slow at switching HDMI inputs.

Last edited by sweller; 01-07-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Hiding the fact that I'm illiterate.
post #1554 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Play while recording?

I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up, but I could not find anything in a search on this topic (including reading the manual).

I received the Homeworx HW-150 from Amazon for Christmas. I e-mailed Homeworx and received and installed the latest firmware version for it (Firmware is dated December 2014). Everything seems to be working well, but I can't figure out how to watch a show while it is being recorded. For example, if I program it to record a football game starting at 1 PM, then I come home at 2 PM, how do I start watching the football game from the beginning? With my old Magnavox DVR, I could simply enter into the recorded shows section (equivalent to the "USB" button, "PVR" area) and press "play from start". On the HW-150 unit, pressing the USB button to get to the PVR function while a show is recording either does nothing or pops up a message asking if I want to stop the recording.
post #1555 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Going off memory, either you have to visually scan back to where you want to be(trying to avoid looking at the screen for things like a football game) or possibly push PLAY/PAUSE to get into play mode and then visually scan back to where you want to be. Either way it's not like a Tivo or most other DVRs where you can pull up a list of your recordings and start playing back from the beginning of your title.
One thing that these cheep little recorders can do that very few if any other ones can do is to let you change to another sub channel while recording a channel in the same physical channel. IOW say if recording 2.1 it will let you change the channel to 2.2, 2.3 or any other channel that is using the same physical channel as the one you are recording.
Note this doesn't help you and personally I'd trade that feature for the ability to playback titles on my HDD while recording something else but it does show the odd feature set these little recorders have.
post #1556 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller View Post
Hi, Folks.

As this thread is still current and seems to be going strong, may I safely assume this unit (HW-150PVR) is still a good buy?

Is the HW-180STB worthy of consideration? Are there any other units that I should consider first?

My intended purpose is only to take OTA broadcasts directly into my HTR for convenience (though the PVR may come in handy). My TV is really slow at switching HDMI inputs.
(Weird - thought I responded earlier but now I don't see my post.)

Anyhow, yes; the HW-150PVR is still a good buy. You might also consider the iView, which is very similar.

Since the PVR function may come in handy, you probably should go with the HW-150PVR (or iView), not the HW-180STB. The latter lacks the PVR function, and given the low price of these boxes, there's no reason not to have that if you think you may use it someday.
post #1557 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
(Weird - thought I responded earlier but now I don't see my post.)
Ain't technology great!

Between the iView or the Homeworx, can you offer an opinion as to which has more user firendly interface? Firmware updates? Longevity?

Thanks much!
post #1558 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_MA View Post
I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up, but I could not find anything in a search on this topic (including reading the manual).

I received the Homeworx HW-150 from Amazon for Christmas. I e-mailed Homeworx and received and installed the latest firmware version for it (Firmware is dated December 2014). Everything seems to be working well, but I can't figure out how to watch a show while it is being recorded. For example, if I program it to record a football game starting at 1 PM, then I come home at 2 PM, how do I start watching the football game from the beginning? With my old Magnavox DVR, I could simply enter into the recorded shows section (equivalent to the "USB" button, "PVR" area) and press "play from start". On the HW-150 unit, pressing the USB button to get to the PVR function while a show is recording either does nothing or pops up a message asking if I want to stop the recording.
Depending how your version of firmware works (since it's a new version there may not be anyone here who knows yet which one of these is right for you) you can just try these things which work on various versions:

1. Simply press Play and it will start from the beginning.
2. Hit Play and then Rewind to the beginning.
3. Hit Pause and then Play and then Rewind.

If number 2 or 3 are the ones that work and you have a significant time that you want to rewind, the easy thing to do instead of rewinding, is just to use the GOTO button and enter a time for it to go back to. You can enter 1 second to go back to the beginning for instance.

Something to be aware of is that when the show you are watching is done recording, it will stop playing as well and you will then need to go into the recordings to watch the rest of it.
post #1559 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
jprc and jjeff,

Thank you so much for your replies. For me, number 1, "Simply press Play and it will start from the beginning", is what worked for me - so simple that I never tried it!

For the record, I now have firmware:

Model:HW-150PVR
SW Version: Dec 15 2014 16:47:18-v2.0
HW: MLG7802-ATSC-QAM-V3
post #1560 of 1828 Old 01-07-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ain't technology great!

Between the iView or the Homeworx, can you offer an opinion as to which has more user firendly interface?
Pretty much identical. iView has a better remote IMO, and there's a transparency option for the menus that may help in certain situations.

Quote:
Firmware updates?
Frankly neither is very good. The Homeworx seems to have more firmware versions, but they're extremely hard to get. Not that iView firmware is particularly easy, especially for the latest boxes.

Quote:
Longevity?
I think the Homeworx is a bit better. iView owners have complained about the USB port giving out over time, disabling the PVR and media player functions.

Quote:
Thanks much!
sweller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page