11Likes
post #1561 of 1596 Unread 11-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
As for finding the bad station, it's easier if the time is wrong. Just tune to each station and check the time. If it's wrong, that's the bad one! (For example, in the DFW area, I find channel 31 is off by over an hour.)

The same thing should work for the date, but since its time is correct, I guess you'd have to check the EPG on each station to see if the date is off.

Either way, most of your stations should be correct, so just avoid leaving the HW tuned to the bad station once you figure out which one it is.
I'm not sure my system is acting as should.
I can check the date/time on every channel, leaving it there for 10 mins and it never changes.
The time is correct but the date acts as if not set by the station otherwise all channels in Atlanta area are off the date, which I dont believe.

I think I might have to downgrade my firmware. So far I haven't seen any comments on my posting that my firmware did not have a version like previous postings, but has a date/time stamp as the version. I'm wondering if this has something to do with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1596 Unread 11-27-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Unfortunately, you could be right that it's a newly-introduced firmware bug. It's very unlikely that every station in Atlanta is broadcasting the same incorrect date.

If the error is consistent (say, dates are always 5 days off), you could try just working around the problem by scheduling your recordings accordingly (i.e., set the program to record on the date the HW thinks it is, not the date it actually is).

Regarding firmware updates, Mediasonic has pretty much stopped releasing them due to all the different hardware versions and the possibility of disabling a box by loading incompatible firmware. So you may be better off just complaining to Mediasonic. If there is a new bug, they need to get the developer to fix it anyway, and they'll probably post the fix for everyone else who got the buggy firmware version.

But if you want to try new firmware anyway: first, request the QAM-enabled version of your firmware from Mediasonic. You don't really need QAM capability, of course; but you need a firmware version you can fall back to if you try firmware that doesn't work, and requesting a QAM version is the easiest way I know of to get it.

Then, since it's so hard to get different HW firmware versions, your best bet is probably iView firmware version V1, V2, or V3. These versions are for the newer MStar demod chip used in the newest iViews and HW's. (The developer reset the version numbers back to V1 for this "generation" of firmware.) The firmware is free and can be downloaded from this link (don't worry about the sex chat ads; the file is fine. Zippyshare has to pay the bills somehow): http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html - but you'll need an iView remote to use it. You can buy one from iView for $10 at this link: http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/con...3500stbii.html. (You may prefer the iView remote over the HW remote anyhow. I do.) Of course, if it doesn't work and you switch back to the HW firmware, you'll switch back to the HW remote too.

Proceed at your own risk. Both myself and others have used iView firmware on the HW without any serious issues, but to my knowledge, not yet with your version of the HW. Until someone tries it, no one can be sure it'll work. The main incompatibilities we've found are: 1) the HW's front-panel channel up/down buttons won't work - you have to use the remote; 2) you lose control of the HW's RF output; and of course 3) you need the iView remote.
post #1563 of 1596 Unread 11-29-2014, 08:07 AM

Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

I just unboxed my HW-150 and have the same problem with the broadcasting being 5 days behind in the Sacramento area.
Seems like this might be an issue with the box's interpretation of the signal's datestamp...

Dan
post #1564 of 1596 Unread 11-29-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a second unit to add to my system and also discovered that the date is 5 days behind. My other unit with older firmware is fine. Must be Chinese math.
post #1565 of 1596 Unread 11-29-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Which firmware has the correct date, and which firmware has the bad date? Perhaps switching the new unit to the old firmware will correct the date bug.
post #1566 of 1596 Unread 11-29-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The firmware ID on the incorrect date unit is:

SW- Aug 29 2014 - 16:22:49
HW- MLG7802 - ATSC-V3

I've sent an e-mail to Mediasonic with the info to see what happens. The firmware ID's for these units are very bizarre with no logical or progressive pattern and Mediasonic is very vague about which firmware works with which production run in an effort to keep users from firmware chasing (as they call it).
post #1567 of 1596 Unread 11-29-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, evidence is mounting that this is a new firmware bug.

All these firmware problems are coming from the fact that Mediasonic keeps changing the hardware, so they have to keep ordering new firmware. As a result they don't have time to deal with long-standing bugs like the ones I mentioned recently - and of course there's always a risk of introducing a new bug, which seems to have happened with this latest batch.

I understand that hardware changes are sometimes unavoidable: when Samsung stopped making the demod chip the HW, iView, etc. all used, everyone had to change to a new chip and new firmware. But Mediasonic has gone a bit overboard, I think:
  • Original hardware that ran V3, V10, and V12 (QAM)
  • Second revision that ran V13
  • Third revision that ran V14
  • Second generation HW with new demod chip, and they restarted firmware versions at V1
  • And now this box that runs an "un-numbered" version

There were also V8 boxes that were either first or second revision (don't know which; that was when Mediasonic changed the remote layout). Also I think there was a V2 for the second generation
post #1568 of 1596 Unread 12-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up Useful 2x playback speed audio on some firmware versions

I discovered something interesting and nice during 2x playback speed.

On two of my units (Homeworx HW-150PVR) that have v14 firmware (HW Version 7816-ATSC-03), I can press the volume up once and the sound will play back at the 2x speed without the chipmunk effect better than when using Windows media player for Windows 7 on .mp4 files. Every time that the unit auto-mutes the sound for 2x speed, you can unmute the sound via the remote control by pressing volume up once (successfully).

I have a third Homeworx HW-150PVR that has v1 firmware (HW Version 7816-1237-ASTC-v2) and this same functionality is missing --why is that so if all these listed firmware configurations are supposedly the "latest." Evidently this is not exactly true unless the CPU hardware is not up to snuff on the units that "cannot" support this supposed undocumented nice feature. If this is not the case, why not issue updated v1 (etc other versions) firmware to include this missing functionality?

Missing functions that might improve recorded show playback are 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.4x, 1.5x, etc, up to the existing 2x speed playback, and a means to skip forward in the show 1 minute, skip forward 10 seconds, skip backward 1 minute, skip backward 30 seconds so that commercial ads can be "navigated" as nicely as possible.

I have two of my units working with half-full 4 Tbyte WD or Seagate USB 3.0 external drives (My Book and Backup Plus respectively) and the third is using a 2.5 inch 1 Tbyte WD blue series inside a Vantec brand USB 3.0/eSata external HDD enclosure.

So far, the only corruption that I see happening on the larger drives is when multipath signal interference causes a HW-150PVR to crash in the middle of a recording, thereby causing a misallocation of free disk space that is easily correctable via Windows 7 disk check function.

When the PVR checks the bigger drives, the HW-150PVR reports the total and unused disk space correctly. GNU-Linux / Unix file system drivers seem to nicely deal with these matters?

During Live TV the closed captions work, but during playback they do not. What's up with that? Can't this be "fixed" to work in both situations?--after all, the recorded file data is just what the broadcaster sent out in the first place...

When I get this multipath signal interference, the signal strength is 60-95%, but the picture is pixelated and the sound breaks up, and often the picture blanks out completely or the video displays the last frame that was received properly with some pixelation noise scattered all over it. Unfortunately, these files cause some windows video playback software to halt or give up and playback within the HW-150PVR is also pretty useless.

This multipath interference happens at irregular times of the day on a channel that I would like to record. Some really weak signal stations come in perfectly with only 3 to 7% signal strength--no pixelation at all. In windows 7 explorer when the "Length" property column is enabled for display, the corrupted recording .mts files have a blank, but the low error or error-free recording files have a proper video duration displayed. It is then just a matter of me manually selecting and deleting the files having no "Length" information being displayed (after suitably long enough time for Windows to have computed those numbers).

I have 3 antennas now:
  • 1 on roof mast on top of 2 story house unused fireplace chimney with pre-amp (Digiwave $78.99 [2014] ANT-7286 Super 8 Bay Ultra Clear Outdoor HD TV Antenna) (preamp=Digital Signal Amplifier for Indoor Antennas @ Princess Auto--RCA Model AMP1450R that I encapsulated in a thick clear plastic milk bag along with its ac adapter for use outdoors attached to antenna with a 4 to 6 inch coax input lead),
  • 1 second story attic on a two-way cable TV distribution amp (Digiwave $39.99 [2012] ANT-7285 8 Bay Ultra Clear Outdoor HD TV Antenna) (amp=RCA Model DT140M Mini Drop Amplifier "Video Signal Amplifier @Princess Auto"), and
  • a wall mounted flat unamplified indoor unit on the first floor of my two story house (Digiwave $12.99 [2014] ANT-4500 HDTV Super Thin Flat Digital Indoor Antenna).
I have tried these antenna signal sources:
  1. one at a time either amplified or unamplified,
  2. diplexed two at a time (backward through 2-way splitter into the distribution amplifier or not), and
  3. triplexed three at a time (backwards through a 4-way splitter into the input of the distribution amplifier or not)
All of these combinations worked, but did nothing to eliminate or mitigate the multipath signal interference.

I suppose that in a future robust design OTA digital TV receiver / PVR would include a DSP that will manage 3 or more spatially distinct incoming antenna signals to cancel out such multipath signal errors via phase delays, signal arithmetic, signal filtering or "what have you" to eliminate this bothersome situation of multipath signal interference that caused poor reception / pixelation display errors.
post #1569 of 1596 Unread 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip on re-enabling sound at 2x. I'll give it a try on iView firmware V13a and see if it works there too.

I don't know why this stopped working on V1 boxes; supposedly all that changed was the demod chip, and that wouldn't affect playback at all. The only thing I can imagine is that some developer identified this as a "bug," and "fixed" it.

On the skip forward/back, the buttons are on the remote but they skip to the next file or back to the start of the current file! There needs to be a setup option where you can control how far those buttons skip.

Also agree on closed captions. That's almost certainly a bug similar to the DD 5.1 bug (works live but not on playback). With DD 5.1 there's a workaround: change the file extension from .mts to .ts and play it as a "movie," and it will play in DD 5.1. But that trick doesn't seem to work for closed captions.

Re: multipath, you'd think a high-gain antenna like your 8-bays or my CM-3020 would pretty much eliminate it, but apparently not. I was able to cut mine down with a ton of trial and error, but I still get occasional pixelation on windy days, even on strong signals. I guess the only sure cure is moving to an area with fewer trees.

What may help, from my experience: lowering a rooftop antenna and/or angling it so it points slightly upwards by 5-10 degrees, to reduce ground reflections. That and aggressive tree trimming.

Ganging antennas can work, but it's very tricky. I wouldn't even try it unless I had two identical antennas, identical cables leading to the combiner, and both antennas were mounted fairly close to each other (so they'd both receive roughly the same signal strength) - but not too close (since the whole point is to take advantage of phase differences to cancel interfering reflections). Otherwise the results are just random - it may help some channels but hurt others, and you have very little control over it.

When DTV converter boxes first came out, a few had connections for "smart" antennas that combine signals from multiple elements and adjust their respective phase as you describe to form a sort of "virtual rotator." During the scan, the converter box would put each channel through the various phase combinations offered by the antenna, and remember the one that gave the best signal, so all you had to do was tune to a channel and you'd immediately get an optimized signal back! But very few "smart" antennas made it to market and the whole idea seems to have been abandoned.
post #1570 of 1596 Unread 12-01-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWld View Post
The firmware ID on the incorrect date unit is:

SW- Aug 29 2014 - 16:22:49
HW- MLG7802 - ATSC-V3

I've sent an e-mail to Mediasonic with the info to see what happens. The firmware ID's for these units are very bizarre with no logical or progressive pattern and Mediasonic is very vague about which firmware works with which production run in an effort to keep users from firmware chasing (as they call it).
I received an unexpectedly quick response from Mediasonic regarding this issue and they forwarded me revised firmware that corrects the incorrect date situation. The revision (only to replace the firmware listed above) is:

SW Version Nov 18 2014 16:59:42
HW Version MLG7802-ATSC-V3-QAM
post #1571 of 1596 Unread 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Unhappy Here is my HW-150PVR recording during multipath signal interference

These are frame grabs done "live" while my Hauppague Colossus is capturing the component video output of my HW-150PVR as captured by the WinTV 7.x playback / recording software on Windows 7 by me tapping on the space bar.

In the first frame it was recording the show Gotham on CTV Ottawa at 8:55 PM. The original series is produced by Fox in the USA. 30 seconds after this frame grab, the picture cleared up completely, then 2 minutes after this, it went to being really bad again. The Caucasian skin tone color pixels are supposed to be a character's face while delivering dialog, but instead, it is a giant mess.

Later at 9:29 PM or so, I frame grabbed to illustrate the signal quality indicators a short time between pictures and whereas one frame is a mess, the next one is nearly perfect only a short time later. At times the signal strength drops to zero and the recorder prompts me "do I want to cancel the recording?" This time the TV show is Forever also on CTV Ottawa.

For reference purposes the three files' properties are as follows:
2014/12/01-20:55:13 232955 bytes "capture_20141201_205513.jpg"
2014/12/01-21:29:13 122718 bytes "capture_20141201_212913.jpg"
2014/12/01-21:29:42 94012_ bytes "capture_20141201_212942.jpg"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_20141201_205513.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	396362   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_20141201_212913.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	396410   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_20141201_212942.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	396418  
post #1572 of 1596 Unread 12-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I received an unexpectedly quick response from Mediasonic regarding this issue and they forwarded me revised firmware that corrects the incorrect date situation. The revision (only to replace the firmware listed above) is:

SW Version Nov 18 2014 16:59:42
HW Version MLG7802-ATSC-V3-QAM

Thanks JeffWld,

How do I get my hands on the firmware file?

Dan
post #1573 of 1596 Unread 12-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno_69 View Post
Thanks JeffWld,

How do I get my hands on the firmware file?

Dan
You do the same thing he did. You email Mediasonic.
post #1574 of 1596 Unread 12-02-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Yes. And make sure you include in your e-mail the firmware version that you already have so that they can confirm they are sending you the correct update.
post #1575 of 1596 Unread 12-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Smile Re: Multipath signal interference elimination / mitigation.

I found a tentative solution to the strong signal station multipath interference :

For the time being I took the weakest gain antenna and connected it to the HW-150PVR through the 4-way splitter to sufficiently weaken the signal to reduce the interference.

The signal levels on average are lower, but currently no pixelation results as compared to when connected to either or both of the 8-bay antennas.

If need be, I might have to connect a further 2-way splitter to weaken
the signal levels going into the HW-150PVR...

Attached video frame capture is of CJOH CTV Ottawa while connected as described at a time when multipath was happening a lot on the 8-bay antennas. It is a frame of a Subaru car ad of a rabbit near a tree during the Marvel Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. show.

2014/12/02-21:49:53 161941 bytes "capture_20141202_214952.jpg"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	capture_20141202_214952.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	398658  
post #1576 of 1596 Unread 12-03-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question about picking up stations

Haven't had satellite (or cable) for sometime now because we really don't care about watching TV. BUT I would like to watch the SEC championship this weekend, so I picked up an HW-150PVR to use with my projector. And I still have a roof antenna from years ago that I used for over the air HD. The antenna hasn't been used in almost 10 years, but is still hooked up, so yesterday when I got the HW-150 I just connected it to the cable coming from the old antenna. I ran the auto scan and the tuner quickly picked up a few stations. I was excited to think that getting HD over the air was so easy and inexpensive these days! But I guess I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. The HW-150 picked up 4-5 stations that I couldn't care less about, but unfortunately it did NOT pick up the CBS station that actually I need to watch the game this weekend. It picked up channel 13 (WVTM) out of Birmingham with decent strength, but didn't pick up channel 42 (WIAT) at all.

Now I know absolutely nothing about HD transmission/reception technology, but just from looking at each station's FCC license, it looks to me like I should be able to pick up 42 MUCH better than 13. According to their FCC licenses, 13 has a "Maximum effective radiated power (Average)" of 20 kW, and the height of their antenna is 598 meters above sea level, while 42 (virtual channel 30) has a "Maximum effective radiated power (Average)" of 1,000 kW, and the height of their antenna is 615 meters above sea level. Both stations are about 46 miles from my house, and their antennae are less than a mile apart from each other on top of Red Mountain in Birmingham. So I would think that my antenna should "see" them both as coming from virtually the exact same location?

Anyway, I can't imagine why I should be able to pick up 13 but not 42. And I did try to manually add 42 (virtual 30) with no luck. Is there some setting on the HW-150 I need to mess with? Can anybody shed any light on this situation?

David
post #1577 of 1596 Unread 12-03-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
So I would think that my antenna should "see" them both as coming from virtually the exact same location?

Anyway, I can't imagine why I should be able to pick up 13 but not 42. And I did try to manually add 42 (virtual 30) with no luck. Is there some setting on the HW-150 I need to mess with? Can anybody shed any light on this situation?

David
I'd try asking over in the HDTV technical area about improving reception: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

If you haven't already, go to http://tvfool.com/ to see what your local transmissions look like strength- and direction-wise from your home.

The HW-150 has worked very well reception-wise for me- located about 30 miles from the sources of my Chicago-based broadcasts.

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders
post #1578 of 1596 Unread 12-03-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah I did the TVFool thing and again it looks like channel 42 has a stronger signal than a couple of the other stations that ARE being picked up (and all three antennae are on the same mountain top less than a mile from each other). You can see my TVFool results below. So I don't THINK that improving reception is my issue, and I'm just wondering if it's some kind of setting issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Radar-All.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	399450  
post #1579 of 1596 Unread 12-03-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
JeffWld;29546282
Yes. And make sure you include in your e-mail the firmware version that you already have so that they can confirm they are sending you the correct update.

Thanks guys
post #1580 of 1596 Unread 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
David
Is your old rooftop antenna a combined VHF and UHF setup? 13 broadcasts it's digital signal on the VHF band and digital 42 is on the UHF band. Maybe there's a problem with the UHF side or it needs a directional tweak.
post #1581 of 1596 Unread 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Is your old rooftop antenna a combined VHF and UHF setup? 13 broadcasts it's digital signal on the VHF band and digital 42 is on the UHF band. Maybe there's a problem with the UHF side

Ah that's a good question! It's been so many years since I put it up that I don't remember what kind it is. I ASSUME it's a combined VHF/UHF antenna but I can't say for sure. I'll have to climb up on the roof and find out.

Quote:
or it needs a directional tweak.

Like I said, I know basically nothing about HD transmission/reception, so I'm just shooting from the hip here. But if I can pick up a channel that is 46 miles to my north (with good signal quality), then surely the directional orientation of my antenna is "close enough" to pick up a second station whose antenna is less than a mile from the first one (in other words the directional angle between the two stations' antennae is about one degree)? But regardless, I'll fiddle around with the direction to see if I can pick up the other channel, and report back.
post #1582 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if there is a fix/hack/setting that allows you to disable the channel banner? That thing is brutally ugly and overtly large. At least an option to move it around or resize it on the screen - or just an off/on option would be great. I read through the manual and couldn't seem to notice anything that allowed channel banner customization. I'd like to use this with my XBOX ONE and use the OneGuide for to make up for the lack of one in this unit.

Sorry if this question has been asked already, though I searched this threat and didn't see anyone with the same query.
post #1583 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't think it's been asked before. Are you referring to the info display that comes up for a few seconds when you change channels? The one that (sometimes) lists the current and upcoming show? If so, I'm not aware of any way to disable it, but you can hit Exit to remove it at once without having to wait for it to time out.
post #1584 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Don't think it's been asked before. Are you referring to the info display that comes up for a few seconds when you change channels? The one that (sometimes) lists the current and upcoming show? If so, I'm not aware of any way to disable it, but you can hit Exit to remove it at once without having to wait for it to time out.

Yup, that's the one. A couple youtube videos out there show this box working in concert with the Xbox One. And it works well. The only problem from my perspective seems to be the info display not "meshing" well with the Xbox One overlay. Sure, not Homeworx's problem - however, with the data apparently hit-or-miss already, it would be nice if they could offer toggling options for it.
post #1585 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if there's a way to get the Xbox to send an "exit" key about 1 second after sending the new channel number, to make that info display go away?

I run iView firmware on my HW. It doesn't have a way to remove it either, but it does have a "transparency" option that might make it less annoying. However iView firmware requires the iView remote (and you'd have to tell the Xbox it's controlling an iView).
post #1586 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way to get the Xbox to send an "exit" key about 1 second after sending the new channel number, to make that info display go away?

I run iView firmware on my HW. It doesn't have a way to remove it either, but it does have a "transparency" option that might make it less annoying. However iView firmware requires the iView remote (and you'd have to tell the Xbox it's controlling an iView).

Now we are talking. I think a transparency option would go a long way to improving the situation. Is this a setting in the menu that is always on? Or does it require a button press each time the banner appears on screen for the transparency? Would you mind post/PM a picture of the transparency effect? Don't think the iView remote code would be an issue as long as it's in the Xbox One database. I can check on that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks!

Samsung LN46C630K1F
Samsung HW-C700
Xbox One
Xbox 360 E
Tivo Premiere
Xbox Live: Penetronn
post #1587 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penetronn View Post
Now we are talking. I think a transparency option would go a long way to improving the situation. Is this a setting in the menu that is always on? Or does it require a button press each time the banner appears on screen for the transparency? Would you mind post/PM a picture of the transparency effect? Don't think the iView remote code would be an issue as long as it's in the Xbox One database. I can check on that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks!
According to everyone who has posted in this thread and the iview thread, the iview remote is not in the xbox database. You should certainly check for yourself though in case there has been a recent update.
post #1588 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Once you set it the transparency is always on. You have a choice of three transparency levels.

But as jprc said, first make sure the Xbox now supports the iView! If it doesn't, there's no point in going any further.

Also, what firmware version is your HW? There are a couple of incompatible iView firmware versions, and we need to make sure you get the right one!
post #1589 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Once you set it the transparency is always on. You have a choice of three transparency levels.

But as jprc said, first make sure the Xbox now supports the iView! If it doesn't, there's no point in going any further.

Also, what firmware version is your HW? There are a couple of incompatible iView firmware versions, and we need to make sure you get the right one!

So a little news to break here - checking the Xbox One devices setup, a search for set top boxes revealed iView3500STB as an option! So apparently it is now supported.

I have not yet purchased a box. I supposed this would allow for the purchase of either an iView or Homeworx box then. I believe they use a similar SoC. Is there an advantage of the hardware of one over the other? Or just personal preference?

Samsung LN46C630K1F
Samsung HW-C700
Xbox One
Xbox 360 E
Tivo Premiere
Xbox Live: Penetronn
post #1590 of 1596 Unread 12-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So a little news to break here - checking the Xbox One devices setup, a search for set top boxes revealed iView3500STB as an option! So apparently it is now supported.

I have not yet purchased a box. I supposed this would allow for the purchase of either an iView or Homeworx box then. I believe they use a similar SoC. Is there an advantage of the hardware of one over the other? Or just personal preference?
That's good to hear. There are just minor differences. Front LED display on the iview of an assigned (not actual) channel number for instance. Software support for clear QAM on the iview (which you shouldn't count on working well anyway) but Homeworx has unofficial clear QAM versions. Only the iview has the semi-transparency. It's at preset levels so you cannot adjust it to total transparency - you probably still won't like it very much but it would be an improvement over no transparency. There are several hardware versions of both the Homeworx and Iview. Some software versions cross over between revs and/or are backwards compatible and some require only their specific firmware. I would look up and maybe ask on the Xbox forums if people have experience using the Xbox One with specific hardware/software revs.
Reply HDTV Recorders