Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 55 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1621 of 1697 Old 01-08-2015, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My experience with channel reception is much different than summguy's. I found I received MORE stations with the HW-150 than I do with either my (new) Vizio 55" TV or my (old) Magnavox 2160A DVR. And, those channels that are "Weak" on the TV are stronger on the HW-150. YRMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1697 Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by summguy View Post
I have found with two different 150 units that their ability to tune available over-the-air channels is poor compared to either (a) an ordinary TV with ATSC tuner or (b) really cheap TV convertor boxes that only have composite video out.

With both units, they don't detect any tv signal if the signal strength is below 40. I gave mine away to people that are using them in a different city (with a different mix of available OTA transmitters) where they are primarily making use of the PVR recording capability (I had no use for that capability).

I was looking for an ATSC convertor box to use with my 14-year-old Sony WEGA TV, and as such OTA reception combined with something better than composite output was the primary concern. The 150 box has component output - and my TV has component input. So I paid a premium of about $10 or $20 for the 150 vs the 180 box just for component output, and was VERY disappointed by the channel reception capability of the 150.

Others will post a follow-up saying that I am in an area suffering from multi-path distortion, but they are wrong. I am not in such an area, and none of the other devices / TV's that I have that are fed by the same antenna signal have such poor reception as the 150 does.
Thanks for your input, summguy.

I guess it's like a lot of things in no-name consumer electronics these days. Pot-luck.
post #1623 of 1697 Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I partially agree with summguy. The HW-150PVR tuner isn't as good as the typical TV tuner or converter box. I think its AGC doesn't have as much range; it can be tough to get a clean signal that's nether too strong (causing overload) nor too weak to get all stations. However, it's usually good enough for most stations in most environments. YMMV.

I haven't used the HW-180STB; however, I doubt its tuner is any different. The iView also uses the same tuner.
post #1624 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Another newbie question here. When I use this unit to timeshift or to watch a show while recording, there is a bar towards the bottom of the screen that shows at what time you are at in the show, and what time the unit is recording. The bar goes away when I fast forward to catch back up to real time TV. Trouble is the bar is opaque and blocks a portion of the screen (in Saturday's playoff game, a very important portion - the stats like the score, down, yards to go, etc!). Is there any way to get rid of the bar while watching the show in time shift mode?
post #1625 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_MA View Post
Another newbie question here. When I use this unit to timeshift or to watch a show while recording, there is a bar towards the bottom of the screen that shows at what time you are at in the show, and what time the unit is recording. The bar goes away when I fast forward to catch back up to real time TV. Trouble is the bar is opaque and blocks a portion of the screen (in Saturday's playoff game, a very important portion - the stats like the score, down, yards to go, etc!). Is there any way to get rid of the bar while watching the show in time shift mode?
Press Exit.
post #1626 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Got an update from Mediasonic for HW Version: MLG7802-ATSC-V3 (New from Amazon). Initially had date bug on EPG that was 5 hours behind.

New and working very well so far:
SW Version: DEC 27 2014 09:48:15-V2.0
HW Version: MLG7802-ATSC-QAM-V2

Oddities: My hardware version changed to V2 from V3. That seems odd. Also looks like they've added the version numbers back to the SW update along with the date.

I did notice a loss in tuner performance with the update and a noticeable degradation of signal strength on my Samsung Plasma using pass through. I lost two different channels on each device. I added a splitter and that seems to have solved both issues. YMMV.
post #1627 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 566
This December 27 software version also seems to be the magic release that finally allows you to display closed captions on recorded programs. I wonder if they will release the same fix for the old hardware revisions.
post #1628 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 12:58 PM

jprc,

Thanks again - I like your concise answers! I'll give it a try tonight. Dang, I ask noob questions. I probably hit EVERY button except that one as I thought that would exit the recording, not that exit timer bar!
post #1629 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

According to larryintx, this version also fixes the CC bug, though it seems to have other issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryintx View Post
Amazon HW-150PVR141015750V3 _____ | This unit locks up a lot and sometimes doesn't
SW Version: NOV 18 2014 16:44:14 _____ | record the full amount of time. The CC's display,
HW Version: MLG7802-ATSC-V3 _________ | but are in english on english channels and spanish on spanish
_________________________________ | channels.
It's likely that all versions following the one above, including acrosstic's version, also have the CC fix.

As for making the fix available for older boxes, I'd love to see it too as I have two older boxes myself. But it may not be practical due to the number of changes Mediasonic made along the way:
  1. Changed remote layout (V10->V8)
  2. Internal HW changes (V8->V13->V14, and possibly more; @larryintx has a HW with V18!)
Mediasonic would probably have to order at least 3 or 4 fix versions, and they'd probably insist that you email them and give them your system info so they could send you the correct fix (like they do now for QAM versions). It's probably more trouble than it's worth for a fix few folks will use.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-12-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Fix for older boxes?
post #1630 of 1697 Old 01-12-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosstic View Post
Got an update from Mediasonic for HW Version: MLG7802-ATSC-V3 (New from Amazon). Initially had date bug on EPG that was 5 [days] behind.

Confirmation of this bug fix has me wondering if this version fixes anything else. Another possible bug to check for is the longstanding DD 5.1 bug: if you play back a recording with DD 5.1 audio, it only plays back in stereo. Not sure if this thread has anyone with both an AVR and one of these newer boxes who could check though.

Quote:
Oddities: My hardware version changed to V2 from V3.
Surprisingly, the "HW version" is merely a constant in the firmware, not something read from the hardware itself. So that's probably just a typo.

Quote:
Also looks like they've added the version numbers back to the SW update along with the date.

I did notice a loss in tuner performance with the update and a noticeable degradation of signal strength on my Samsung Plasma using pass through. I lost two different channels on each device. I added a splitter and that seems to have solved both issues. YMMV.
Sounds like the new firmware turns the tuner's AGC up too high, causing overload. The resulting noise probably degraded your reception. The splitter probably weakened the signal just enough to compensate.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-12-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Wondering about other possible bug fixes
post #1631 of 1697 Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
hmmm I think my Homeworx HW-150PVR is dying/dead, it doesnt power on all the time when I press the power button... I have had it for not even half a year, bummer hopefully they have a good warranty and communication.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1632 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep us posted. Mediasonic is a Canadian company; often it's more trouble getting boxes like these shipped from the US to Canada for repair or replacement than they're worth.

I'm keeping an eye on Amazon's HW-150 prices. They've ticked up a bit this year but hopefully they'll drop back down before long.
post #1633 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Keep us posted. Mediasonic is a Canadian company; often it's more trouble getting boxes like these shipped from the US to Canada for repair or replacement than they're worth.

I'm keeping an eye on Amazon's HW-150 prices. They've ticked up a bit this year but hopefully they'll drop back down before long.
good point, if they charge me anything at all, then it will most likely not be worth doing, I only spent like $50 shipped for the unit...

So does anyone have other suggestions for boxes similar to this model, that can plug in an external hdd for recording shows, have a timer, and pull an ota guide?

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1634 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
good point, if they charge me anything at all, then it will most likely not be worth doing, I only spent like $50 shipped for the unit...

So does anyone have other suggestions for boxes similar to this model, that can plug in an external hdd for recording shows, have a timer, and pull an ota guide?
All the boxes in this price range are based on the same base model. Homeworx is actually your best bet for reliability hardware and software-wise.

When my iView broke, which is not an uncommon experience, it was going to cost me $25 to get warranty repair from them. Wasn't worth it to me, so I sent it to my local recycling instead.
post #1635 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Best deal on a new HW-150 right now is $38.99 shipped. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-16-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Star Jammer no longer offering free shipping, but Amazon does now
post #1636 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Nothing in the Homeworx/iView price point but for a much nicer box(dual tuner, full 14 day professional guide, ability to program season type passes, more reliable, WiFi internet streaming, etc.) you could step up to the CM+. It allows external HDDs but it's format isn't something that can be easily read by media players or even a PC without a Unix program. The CM+ is more a full fledged DVR and priced accordingly, I believe ~$250.
For more info on the CM+ check out post 1 in this thread:
Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #1637 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Nothing in the Homeworx/iView price point but for a much nicer box(dual tuner, full 14 day professional guide, ability to program season type passes, more reliable, WiFi internet streaming, etc.) you could step up to the CM+. It allows external HDDs but it's format isn't something that can be easily read by media players or even a PC without a Unix program. The CM+ is more a full fledged DVR and priced accordingly, I believe ~$250.
For more info on the CM+ check out post 1 in this thread:
Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
The CM has several issues, typically overheating.

A better approach, especially if you have a spare windose 7 computer/netbook about, is the silicondust homerun dual at about $100. The windose media center is a nicely featured DVR solution that records either to the internal drive or an external drive. The homerun is connected via ethernet and can be shared among network devices, just have to worry about bandwidth.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1638 of 1697 Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

A better approach, especially if you have a spare windose 7 computer/netbook about, is the silicondust homerun dual at about $100. The windose media center is a nicely featured DVR solution that records either to the internal drive or an external drive. The homerun is connected via ethernet and can be shared among network devices, just have to worry about bandwidth.
hmm yeah I think I will consider this guy...
Just to be more precise this is the model you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD.../dp/B004HO58SO
Nokorola likes this.

post #1639 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
While I agree the CM+ does seem to have occasional issues I think the overheating your talking about is one of there older models, I think they got that issue resolved but the new CM+ seems to have the occasional bug, nothing like our Homeworx/iViews but bugs none the less.
I agree a HTPC may be a better choice but not everyone seems to want to go that route, for one reason or another, oh and even with a used PC it would be very hard to come anywhere near the Homeworx price point.
post #1640 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
While I agree the CM+ does seem to have occasional issues I think the overheating your talking about is one of there older models, I think they got that issue resolved but the new CM+ seems to have the occasional bug, nothing like our Homeworx/iViews but bugs none the less.
I have two of the CM DVR+ units myself, one purchased in November and the other in December. Both run cool and quiet. Latest firmware allows storing series programs in folders and recording of only new episodes. The few bugs/deficiencies remarked in the official AVS thread are applicable mainly to tech geeks (I am one). The average user is going to see little difference between the DVR+ and a cable/satellite DVR.

It is the plug-and-playingest OTA DVR solution available. Up-front cost is higher than other offerings, and I delayed over a year as I awaited holiday special prices. It saved me a lot of money, but looking back I wish I had started with the DVR+. Considering the dollars and debugging I invested in my two iVIEW STBs I would have had more reliable recording and ease of use.

The $40 DVRs were a great learning experience and an affordable way to cut the cable cord, and I still use one of mine to allow continued use of an old NTSC TV. No regrets.
Nokorola likes this.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #1641 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_MA View Post
My experience with channel reception is much different than summguy's. I found I received MORE stations with the HW-150 than I do with either my (new) Vizio 55" TV or my (old) Magnavox 2160A DVR. And, those channels that are "Weak" on the TV are stronger on the HW-150. YRMV
I found the same thing -- I have had issues picking up channels with questionable reception when hooked to my TV; however, after connecting the this tuner I'm getting about 5 channels I didn't pick up when hooked directly to the TV. (30miles NW of Philadelphia)

Also, I'll just note that I have this hooked up to an Xbox One with Kinect and it's overall working great for the last week. My only issue is sometimes when I leave the TV app running on my xbox and then shut it down (low power mode) on restart the OneGuide does not change channels. Requires I either 1) make sure to shut down the app completely before I turn off the xbox or if I forgot 2) hard power off both the tuner & xbox and then restart both.

Beyond that its been working about as well as I can expect for $40....next is to connect a HDD and use the dvr functions.
post #1642 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
hmm yeah I think I will consider this guy...
Just to be more precise this is the model you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD.../dp/B004HO58SO
Thats an older model, I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD...dp_ob_title_ce

Its a lot less money and more plug and play than the CM+ unit . The Windose media center SW is much more feature rich and less buggy that the CM+, but then the CM+ is a stand alone unit.

And the PVR is a good alternative given the $40 price point.

I've noticed the PVR does better receiving stations in the Low VHF range, where the HR is better at higher UNG frequencies. Neither match up with the DirecTV OTA receiver. My Samsung TV is somewhere in between.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1643 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you're confusing the DVR+ with CM's previous DVR (model CM-7400). The 7400 had a reputation for getting extremely hot. The DVR+, OTOH, just gets barely warm.

The only issues I've had with the DVR+ are fairly minor; like only having HDMI output, so you'll need a signal splitter to feed your TV's tuner and/or a converter if you need component or composite outputs. It stores recordings in a Linux Ext3 partition with meaningless names like STRM0xxx.ts, and the .ts format is missing a few components so it's not readily playable with much PC software. And of course, $249 is a lot steeper than the Homeworx. Nevertheless, I think it's a good buy if $249 isn't out of reach for you.

I do second your suggestion of getting a PC tuner, though. If you already have an Internet-connected PC with Windows 7 Home Premium, which means you already have Windows Media Center, then all you need is a dual or triple tuner to turn your PC into a very nice DVR and media player. You can even buy a remote control to operate WMC almost like a standalone DVR. And you can get a lot of add-on software for little or no cost to make it even nicer. However it's still a PC, so you still need to do all the usual PC maintenance tasks: scanning for viruses/malware, downloading & installing updates, etc.
post #1644 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thats an older model, I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD...dp_ob_title_ce

Its a lot less money and more plug and play than the CM+ unit . The Windose media center SW is much more feature rich and less buggy that the CM+, but then the CM+ is a stand alone unit.

And the PVR is a good alternative given the $40 price point.

I've noticed the PVR does better receiving stations in the Low VHF range, where the HR is better at higher UNG frequencies. Neither match up with the DirecTV OTA receiver. My Samsung TV is somewhere in between.
Im confused why does the older model state HD streaming and the newer model and the version that can do three channels at once both say standard streaming?

post #1645 of 1697 Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Got an update from Mediasonic for HW Version: MLG7802-ATSC-V3 (New from Amazon). Initially had date bug on EPG that was 5 hours behind.

Oddities: My hardware version changed to V2 from V3. That seems odd. Also looks like they've added the version numbers back to the SW update along with the date.

A quick update on my HW-150
UNIT 1 HW-150PVR141015750V3 (Purchased from Amazon 12/28/14)
SW Version: NOV 18 2014 16:44:14
HW Version MLG7802-ATSC-V3

After update:

So they are the same and mine didn't fare so well. My unit looses access to the HDD about half the time during a timer recording.

Recorded 4 programs today 5:30 to 6:00 on CBS(Stopped at 24 min, had to reboot before unit would access HDD)
6:30 to 6:59 on CBS(Everything was fine) and
on Telemundo 7:00 to 7:59( Everything fine)
on Telemundo 8:00 to 9:00(Stopped at 38 min, did not have to reboot)

Tried WD 1Tb USB powered HDD...1Tb Toshiba USB powered drive...64 Gb flash drive, all 3 drives did approximately same thing.

The CCs worked only on CC1 except on 2:00 program on Telemundo CC3 displayed the Eng. captions on the Spanish channel,as it should.
I went to my other unit
UNIT 2 HW-150PVR14074319V2 (Purchased from NEWEGG 12/28/14)
SW Version:CL503883 140215 V18
HW Version:7816-1237-ATSC-V18

and bingo CC3 on Telemundo at 2:00. That is the only program that displayes CC3, so something is being broadcast
differently on the Sub. data stream. All the Sub. streams are there CC3 and CC1 when I play any recorded files on VLC player on my computer.
My old (Now dead ePvision PHD-VRX) recorded in MPG format and would play only on that box. I really like the fact that the 150 files will
play anywhere, even on my Sony BD player.

I have had only one instance where unit2 lost access to the HDD. Also unit2 shows 100% on signal strength meter on all the channels.
These are the only problems I've had on this unit, I am very happy with it.
I emailed Mediasonic Support and asked if the SW in unit2 would work in
unit1 and they said it would brick it.( Real shame).

I've not had any tuner issues, but I have a 50' breakover tower with a 200 mile range antenna,65 miles from broadcast hill in DFW area
100' of RG6 to get to the living room, through a 2 way passive splitter with one out going to unit2 through passthrough to LG LCD. The other
out on the splitter has a 75' run to computer room into unit1 passthrough then to Poloroid LCD, which has no sig. strength meter.

I get a sig. strength of 70 to 80 on all 56 DTV channels on unit1 and LG TV.

Really hope this helps. Would like an update on your unit as soon as you can.

Thanks.
post #1646 of 1697 Old 01-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Just got the Mediasonic HW-150PVR by HomeWorx a few day ago from Amazon. I am currently using a SanDisk 32GB USB Flash drive for the PVR storage. I've had the unit freeze once and fail to record on another occasion. I read somewhere that using a flash drive would cause it to malfunction and that a EXT HD would work better. I was wondering if there were any externals that knowingly worked well with the unit. Don't won't to put a ton of $ into as I only purchased to record some OTA stuff that you can't get on the poorly designed am21 tuner add on from directv
post #1647 of 1697 Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy I hate to vear slightly off into left field, but...

I like my HW150PVR, and it has amazing picture quality which I can see, even on my main Television -a 32 inch analog- however, the ability to pull in signals is frustrating at best. The strongest two stations: WTAJ and WATM (of the 6 available, all of which it CAN at least mostly receive) nearly always come in well, but the performance is lacking compared to other digital receivers, such as the two second-hand and awful Magnavox DTA boxes. After over 6 years of use for the main box, and just under that for the others, my favorite converter box/ ATSC tuner is still the Digital Stream DTX9900 (Digital Stream DTX-9900 ATSC D2A Converter Box). Yes, the power inverter board is a piece of junk, and the one capacitor needs replaced eventually, but its ability to pull in stations in the "dissected plateau" of Central Pennsylvania that I live in is astonishing. I can receive all of the stations that are plausible for my location (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15d60850823c) namely: WPSU(rf15), WJAC(rf22), WTAJ(rf32), WATM/WWCP(rf24), WHVL(rf27) & WKBS(rf46). I have a pretty nice attic-mounted antenna, but still these boxes are the only ones I've used that work well. If only I could combined the receiving ability of the Digital Sreams with a PVR I would be happy and I suspect many others would be as well. I record a decent amount of TV onto VHS tapes still (yeah I know), but that's mostly because PVRs are either very expensive, or have lackluster performance. I try to talk my friends that don't watch television (because they don't want pay-TV and refuse to believe that there are other free options) into putting up an antenna, but the lack of a truly good box that outputs in HD is pathetic.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for listening to this rant.
-Phillip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All crop.png
Views:	16
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	484785  

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #1648 of 1697 Old 01-17-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

@timhk63 : For about $50 you can get a portable HDD intended for laptops that will give you far more storage than that little flash drive (which would only hold about 4 hours of video even if it works). You can get at least 500GB; possibly 1TB if you shop carefully.

Most USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 HDDs will work. The main issue you might run into is, if it's a USB-powered drive, the HW may not have enough juice to keep it running without overheating. If the HW consistently shuts down after recording for a few minutes, that's probably the problem. You can solve it with a USB Y cable that lets you power the HDD from a wall-wart while still connecting the HDD to the HW.

If you have a SATA HDD lying around somewhere (perhaps left over from a computer upgrade), you could save a few bucks with an HDD "dock" instead. Just plug your HDD into the dock and plug the dock into the HW. Docks are usually externally powered so you won't have the issue above.

@Nokorola : This will sound counter-intuitive, but try attenuating (weakening) the signal fed to the HW. These boxes often seem to have their AGC turned up too high, causing the strongest signals in your area to overload the tuner. The resulting noise often makes weaker stations unreceivable.

Of course weakening the signal may push WPSU over the cliff, so only weaken the signal for the HW, not your other tuners.
Nokorola likes this.
post #1649 of 1697 Old 01-17-2015, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=JHBrandt;30918505] @timhk63 : For about $50 you can get a portable HDD intended for laptops that will give you far more storage than that little flash drive (which would only hold about 4 hours of video even if it works). You can get at least 500GB; possibly 1TB if you shop carefully.

Oh I'm aware of portable HDD. I was just wondering if there were any brands that seemed to perform better. As for the power issue I actually have several WD MY Books around from my days with DISH that I used to expand the DVR. Thanks for the info
post #1650 of 1697 Old 01-18-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up Using older corroded RG-6 coax cables

I posted months ago how much signal loss there could be at the cable connectors and how cable technicians usually cut off the old ends and attach new connectors.

I went to use a very old looking, but undamaged coax patch cable between my drop amplifier to my HW-150PVR and found that it got only 2 or 3 signals out of many times that because the signal was getting ruined by the high resistance caused by corrosion on the cable end that was connecting at the drop amplifier. Light wiggling of the cable at the drop amplifier end was able to occasionally get a picture to come through to the attached TV.

I learned long ago from somewhere that applying a sequence of chemicals can eat away corrosion and clean a surface so I used the following treatments to the existing corroded coax connectors to make them work again (perhaps not exactly like new):

1. dunking in dry baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), physically shaking off the excess afterward by whacking the two cable connector ends against one another.
2. dunking in white vinegar (weak acetic acid) also shaking off the excess as above.
3. running warm or hot tap water (to rinse) also shaking off the excess as above, then drying by waving the ends at high speed through the air for slightly less than a minute.
4. dunking in isopropyl alcohol also shaking off as above.
5. dunking into Vaseline (to coat the cleaned ends to prevent further oxidation), then wiping the excess off with dry toilet paper scrunched into the connector ends.

Upon plugging in the connections, my Homeworx HW-150PVR immediately started to get its signals so that a TV channel was coming in (rather than the "no signal" graphic appearing on the TV screen).
Nokorola likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page