Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1651 of 1659 Old 01-18-2015, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up Using older corroded RG-6 coax cables

I posted months ago how much signal loss there could be at the cable connectors and how cable technicians usually cut off the old ends and attach new connectors.

I went to use a very old looking, but undamaged coax patch cable between my drop amplifier to my HW-150PVR and found that it got only 2 or 3 signals out of many times that because the signal was getting ruined by the high resistance caused by corrosion on the cable end that was connecting at the drop amplifier. Light wiggling of the cable at the drop amplifier end was able to occasionally get a picture to come through to the attached TV.

I learned long ago from somewhere that applying a sequence of chemicals can eat away corrosion and clean a surface so I used the following treatments to the existing corroded coax connectors to make them work again (perhaps not exactly like new):

1. dunking in dry baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), physically shaking off the excess afterward by whacking the two cable connector ends against one another.
2. dunking in white vinegar (weak acetic acid) also shaking off the excess as above.
3. running warm or hot tap water (to rinse) also shaking off the excess as above, then drying by waving the ends at high speed through the air for slightly less than a minute.
4. dunking in isopropyl alcohol also shaking off as above.
5. dunking into Vaseline (to coat the cleaned ends to prevent further oxidation), then wiping the excess off with dry toilet paper scrunched into the connector ends.

Upon plugging in the connections, my Homeworx HW-150PVR immediately started to get its signals so that a TV channel was coming in (rather than the "no signal" graphic appearing on the TV screen).
Nokorola likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1659 Old 01-20-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhk63 View Post
Oh I'm aware of portable HDD. I was just wondering if there were any brands that seemed to perform better. As for the power issue I actually have several WD MY Books around from my days with DISH that I used to expand the DVR. Thanks for the info

I've been using this 1TB WD drive for over a year now with no issues (and no external power required):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E83X9P8/..._26725410_item
post #1653 of 1659 Old 01-25-2015, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
So I said screw it and took apart my homeworx and yeah two blown caps... so I tossed it.

I picked up a Nexus Player to try out and I am really enjoying it so I will be getting the newer HD Homerun Dual units and control it through my Nexus player.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1654 of 1659 Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Keep us posted. Mediasonic is a Canadian company; often it's more trouble getting boxes like these shipped from the US to Canada for repair or replacement than they're worth.

I'm keeping an eye on Amazon's HW-150 prices. They've ticked up a bit this year but hopefully they'll drop back down before long.
Mediasonic / Major League Global has a warehouse and RMA department in the LA area.

http://www.mediasonic.ca/contact.php?id=1357112704

USA:
Major League Global Enterprise LLC
17411 Gale Ave
City of Industry, CA 91748
USA

Technical & Warranty Support:
HomeWorx Product Line:
Email: support@mlglobal.net
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1655 of 1659 Old 01-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
So I said screw it and took apart my homeworx and yeah two blown caps... so I tossed it.

I picked up a Nexus Player to try out and I am really enjoying it so I will be getting the newer HD Homerun Dual units and control it through my Nexus player.
Why not replace the caps?
post #1656 of 1659 Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay had this thing a little over a week now and so far it more headache than anything. have done the firmware upgrade which corrected the date. Now every time I try to schedule more than 1 timer recording it says there is a event conflict when there is no conflict at all anyone have the same problem? Also is there anyway to change the time from military to standard?
post #1657 of 1659 Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 232
There's a bug where it will falsely report a conflict if you try to set up a timer that crosses midnight and there are any other timers for that day.

Workaround is to create the midnight-crossing timer first, then create the other timers for that day.

I've been wondering if the developers might have addressed other bugs when they fixed the closed captions to work during playback. Apparently this bug wasn't fixed.

And unfortunately I'm not aware of a setting for 12-hour time.
post #1658 of 1659 Old 01-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
There's a bug where it will falsely report a conflict if you try to set up a timer that crosses midnight and there are any other timers for that day.

Workaround is to create the midnight-crossing timer first, then create the other timers for that day.

I've been wondering if the developers might have addressed other bugs when they fixed the closed captions to work during playback. Apparently this bug wasn't fixed.

And unfortunately I'm not aware of a setting for 12-hour time.
thanks I will give that a try
post #1659 of 1659 Unread Today, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHazard View Post
Mediasonic / Major League Global has a warehouse and RMA department in the LA area.

http://www.mediasonic.ca/contact.php?id=1357112704

USA:
Major League Global Enterprise LLC
17411 Gale Ave
City of Industry, CA 91748
USA

Technical & Warranty Support:
HomeWorx Product Line:
Email: support@mlglobal.net

Huh when I first contacted them, they wanted me to ship it to Canada so thats why i said screw it and tossed it.. ehh oh well no big deal really, it was so cheap anyways and but I have the HD home run dual channel coming anyways should be here by the end of the month.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page