Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
post #1651 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
The thing is, though, you can time-shift and chase-play, so the CPU can handle the data transfer rate. The part of the current recording from 15 minutes ago is totally different data than what's being written at the moment, so it could just as easily come from a completely different recording. If the Homeworx can do one, it should be able to do the other.

The only thing I can think of is, perhaps its FAT32 and NTFS drivers can only handle one open file at a time. But that sounds like just a firmware limitation, not a hardware one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
I bought two model hw180 new version 8 with pvr.

Which gives me all the feature of a dual tuner pvr

That way you can record one channel and watch another or record two shows that come on at the same time.

Amazon had these on sale for 29.95 each recently. At 60-70 i cant complain for a dual tuner pvr. Used a Winegard splitter with a Winegard flatwave amp antenna
Good price. At least, it gives you function comparable to the PHD-VRX 2-tuner DVR (which requires each tuner to be programmed separately).

But tell me: how do you operate them both at once? Did you put them in two different rooms?

I might have recommended one HW-150 and one HW-180, just so they'd have different remotes, so you could use them both in the same room.
post #1653 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There both in the same room.

A word of caution. Before proceeding, please don't drink any liquid refreshments. Or swallow them completely. As you read below. I wouldn't want to contribute to the unexpected upgrade of any internet accessing equipment.

Unfortunately the remote codes for both units are the same. As another added bonus for me. Some of the remote codes are also the same for my jtech hdmi sound extractor and digital switcher box.

Yes controlling them individually. Took some HiLLBiLLy engineering.

I up cycled a piece of junk mail printed on heavy paper.

By precisely folding the paper was able to create a shield to block the ir sensor of the unit/s i did not wish to control.
post #1654 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 352
^I assume in the same room? How do you keep the remote of one from acting on the other one?

OOPs I now see my response was slow. Never mind.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #1655 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Good price. At least, it gives you function comparable to the PHD-VRX 2-tuner DVR (which requires each tuner to be programmed separately).

But tell me: how do you operate them both at once? Did you put them in two different rooms?

I might have recommended one HW-150 and one HW-180, just so they'd have different remotes, so you could use them both in the same room.
But again you can't playback a previously recorded title when something new is recording, wouldn't the PHD would allow that?
And for your last point, that or a Homeworx and iView, or is the iView the same remote codes as the HW-180? I know it's different than the original Homeworx.
post #1656 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The PHD-VRX will let you watch a prerecorded show while recording two others, if you use the ext2 file system (not NTFS) - and if it doesn't crash (it's firmware isn't the greatest either). Most PHD-VRX owners have learned to avoid doing that though; the risk of a crash is too high.

The HW-150, HW-180, and iView use three different remotes, but do they use different codes too? I don't have an HW-180 so I can't be sure.
post #1657 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My 180 will not work with the 150 codes on my harmony . I have never gotten a response from Mediasonc's support forum If the older harmony 180 codes for harmony will work with the recording 180 .
post #1658 of 1665 Old 04-23-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

See if it will work with iView codes. If it responds (even if the buttons are mapped incorrectly) then the iView and 180 use the same codes. If not, they are safe to use together and you could put an iView (or a HW running iView firmware), an HW-150, and an HW-180 all in the same room.

At around $250 or so for one of each plus three HDDs, that's one of the cheapest 3-tuner DVRs on the market. It's also the most cumbersome, hands down

Edit: BTW, if you're looking for codes that will operate the (recording) HW-180 and the Harmony doesn't have them, try eMatic codes. The eMatic uses what appears to be the exact same remote as the (recording) HW-180.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-23-2015 at 07:13 PM.
post #1659 of 1665 Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased a Homeworx HW-150 PVR Refurbished on Ebay. It seems to work well with a common Seagate desktop SATA drive (using a SATA to USB converter). I also used an old USB flash drive, which showed the recorded files as '.mts' and '1080p' on the Homeworx screen. AFAIK, OTA broadcasts are in 1080i format, why did the unit display '1080p' after recording ?? Is it because the
HW-150 is connected to my TV via HDMI ? It's a bit confusing, especially since I set the output to 480i, to enable recording from the tuner to a connected DVD recorder on another day.
post #1660 of 1665 Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Selling my hw-150 pvr. Pm me if interested.
post #1661 of 1665 Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
I recently purchased a Homeworx HW-150 PVR Refurbished on Ebay. It seems to work well with a common Seagate desktop SATA drive (using a SATA to USB converter). I also used an old USB flash drive, which showed the recorded files as '.mts' and '1080p' on the Homeworx screen. AFAIK, OTA broadcasts are in 1080i format, why did the unit display '1080p' after recording ?? Is it because the
HW-150 is connected to my TV via HDMI ? It's a bit confusing, especially since I set the output to 480i, to enable recording from the tuner to a connected DVD recorder on another day.
Not sure what screen you are looking at.

The mts file itself is going to be whatever format/resolution the broadcaster sent, which could be 1080, 720, 480.... a number of size variations.

When the file is sent to the TV its converted (if necessary) to be compatible to whatever you set as the your TV resolution. So even though it may show as 1080P because your TV supports it and thats what the PVR output is set to, the PVR is sending 480P to the TV if that was the format that was transmitted. You may want to check the info on the TV to see what it thinks its getting.

In other words, the recorded file encoding may have no relation to the output to the TV.

If you press "info" as the recorded video is playing, the scan type (e.g 704x480P) and frame rate of the video is displayed.

If you press HDMI while watching live video, it will scan through the resolutions your monitor/TV is capable of displaying, which could be 1080P 60Hz.
wyelkins likes this.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.

Last edited by ColdCase; 05-26-2015 at 09:15 PM.
post #1662 of 1665 Unread Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Not sure what screen you are looking at.

The mts file itself is going to be whatever format/resolution the broadcaster sent, which could be 1080, 720, 480.... a number of size variations.

When the file is sent to the TV its converted (if necessary) to be compatible to whatever you set as the your TV resolution. So even though it may show as 1080P because your TV supports it and thats what the PVR output is set to, the PVR is sending 480P to the TV if that was the format that was transmitted. You may want to check the info on the TV to see what it thinks its getting.

In other words, the recorded file encoding may have no relation to the output to the TV.

If you press "info" as the recorded video is playing, the scan type (e.g 704x480P) and frame rate of the video is displayed.

If you press HDMI while watching live video, it will scan through the resolutions your monitor/TV is capable of displaying, which could be 1080P 60Hz.

As I stated in my post, I was looking at the Homeworx screen, wherein you see the name of the recorded file, the file format, and in that case, ' 1080p '. If the recorded format presumably was 1080i, it doesn't make sense to me that the Homeworx would show 1080p on the list. None of the many other Hi-Def DVRs I own indicate 1080p on recordings. The HDMI output of the Homeworx is set to 480i, the TV can receive 480i through 1080p. Apparently it's an indication of the maximum output resolution of the recorder.
post #1663 of 1665 Unread Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
As I stated in my post, I was looking at the Homeworx screen, wherein you see the name of the recorded file, the file format, and in that case, ' 1080p '. If the recorded format presumably was 1080i, it doesn't make sense to me that the Homeworx would show 1080p on the list. None of the many other Hi-Def DVRs I own indicate 1080p on recordings. The HDMI output of the Homeworx is set to 480i, the TV can receive 480i through 1080p. Apparently it's an indication of the maximum output resolution of the recorder.
I will see the info screen for a recording vary by channel/subchannel/show, often 480 or 720.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1664 of 1665 Unread Today, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, everyone. I'm in the market for a DVR, & have been considering the ViewTV & Ematic models. How do they compare to the HomeWorx? How well does the tuner perform? I'm in an area where some channels tend to be a bit weak due to the trees around my house. I use an indoor antenna, since a rooftop antenna isn't possible. With all the bad reviews for these cheap DVRs, it seems to be pot luck to get a half-way decent one due to quality control. I just don't see a clear winner with any of these. Any thoughts?
post #1665 of 1665 Unread Today, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
When I play back a recorded show , while playing and press info it is always bassakwards , 1080i always reports 1080p and 720p reports 720i . I always thought it was a bug in the software that reports it . This is also true with the 180 model . I don't worry about it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page