Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 57 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1681 of 1683 Old 06-13-2015, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1683 Old 06-13-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brady Loewen View Post
I received my HW 150PVR today.... When I attached the antenna to the PVR and did the channel search, it seemed to freeze (would not let me quit or skip) and then reset back to the MediaSonic Logo and the channel search option. When I try to manually search, the screen goes black, seems to freeze, and then resets.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just have a bad unit?

This is the info for my box:
Model: HW-150 PVR
SW Version: CL630133 121115 V14
HW Version: 7816-ATSC-03
Sounds like a bad unit. That's a fairly old one: the V14 firmware is dated Nov. 15, 2012 (the date in the SW Version is YYMMDD). Did you buy a used or refurbished model?
post #1683 of 1683 Old Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 270
USB port problems on older HW-150s

Recently I had the misfortune of the USB port going bad on my oldest HW-150. Since it was long out of warranty I decided to take it apart and see what the problem was.

Turns out these old HW-150s have a small PC board with nothing but a USB port on it. The port is held in the front panel with hot glue. There's a rectangular hole in the PC board which matches a plastic "catch" projecting back from the front panel. This catch prevents the USB port from being pushed into the box with too much force. Once the box is opened, though, it's rather easy to remove and reinstall the board containing the port.

The problem with this design is, the USB port rests one or two millimeters above the PC board, and it's easy to flex the port just enough to break some of the foil traces on the PC board when inserting or removing a USB device. If this happens, the USB port will start failing (perhaps intermittently). You may need a good magnifying glass even to see the breaks!

(Note: newer HW-150s have changed the USB port design to reduce the risk of this kind of failure. On HW-150s that came with V14 (dated Nov. 15, 2012) or later, the USB port is attached to the main front panel PC board at right angles, instead of being on its own PC board. This change may explain why Homeworx owners have reported fewer USB port problems than, say, iView owners. I don't have an iView but I suspect their USB port design is similar to the Homeworx's "original" design. OTOH, the original design does allow for much easier "homebrew" modifications; see below.)

For those with broken USB ports like this, a "quick fix" can be made by carefully scraping some of the green insulation off of the broken foil traces with a tiny screwdriver, then bridging the gap with a small amount of solder. Use a "pencil-tip" soldering iron for the easiest repair. However, the problem remains, and each time the traces are broken, it becomes harder to repair this way.

A more permanent fix would be to remove the possibility of damage entirely, by finding a way to remove the troublesome port from the front panel completely, and connecting it to "something" within the box instead. That "something" could be as simple as a USB extension cable, a "built-in" storage device like a USB stick, or even a USB hub. For a hub, you'd need to find an alternate location for its USB ports. If you have some metal-working tools, I might suggest cutting a slot on the right side of the HW-150's cover and mounting the hub so a couple of its ports can be accessed through that slot. Then you'll have an HW-150 with two USB ports!

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could connect the port to a hub, then connect a compatible USB memory stick and/or small cooling fan to the hub! There's actually quite a bit of room inside the HW-150 box for such things, which I suppose could be secured with hot glue.

If anyone owns one of these older HW-150s and has lost use of its USB port, hopefully these observations and suggestions will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders