AVS Forum banner

Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion

448K views 3K replies 285 participants last post by  JHBrandt 
#1 ·
hi,

you may post any questions / issues/ suggestions you may have about Homeworx HW-150PVR here

or in our forum
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewforum.php?f=44

HW-150PVR Firmware update V10
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/download/file.php?id=321

it fixes the following issues

* Time

* Recordings / Daily / weekly

* Page down in EPG

**Note: Due to not being able to get Program guide from QAM Clear channels, We decided to continue just to focus on OTA support, as we originally intended to do.

Edit: Sept. 09, 2013

New Remote Layout on new batch of HW-150PVR

due to customer's feedback, we changed the layout of the remote (no new button, just new layout)

If your HW-150PVR have serial # HW-150PVR13070001 and UP. it comes with a new remote layout "Timer" beside the "REC", This unit has V8 version of firmware and it contains same fix as V10, so you do not need to flash the firmware on it.

http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1811

ATTN: If you have V8 or V13 Firmware DO NOT install V10. Your V8 and V13 is latest for your unit, With same fixes as V10

V8, no firmware update required.

V10, no firmware update required.

V13, no firmware update required.

V14, no firmware update required

V1, no firmware update required

If your box come with different firmware then the above,please contact us and let us know which firmware you have now

V1 has a new Dome MSD1237 and comes with PAL disabled (don't think we use that in North America)

So whoever got V1, Do not think is old, cause V14, V13,V8 will not work with it

if you need QAM for V1

contact us

Stop chasing for firmware update ( there is no update)

if you box came with

V8 is the latest for your unit

V13 is the latest for your unit

V14 is the latest for your unit

V1 is the latest for your unit

all the above have the same fix as V10 (the only major fix we released)

if there any firmware update we will announce it

email us: rma_east AT mediasonic.ca

See less See more
#1,512 ·
Re: Multipath signal interference elimination / mitigation.

I found a tentative solution to the strong signal station multipath interference :) :

For the time being I took the weakest gain antenna and connected it to the HW-150PVR through the 4-way splitter to sufficiently weaken the signal to reduce the interference.

The signal levels on average are lower, but currently no pixelation results as compared to when connected to either or both of the 8-bay antennas.

If need be, I might have to connect a further 2-way splitter to weaken
the signal levels going into the HW-150PVR...

Attached video frame capture is of CJOH CTV Ottawa while connected as described at a time when multipath was happening a lot on the 8-bay antennas. It is a frame of a Subaru car ad of a rabbit near a tree during the Marvel Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. show.

2014/12/02-21:49:53 161941 bytes "capture_20141202_214952.jpg"

Attachments

#1,513 ·
Question about picking up stations

Haven't had satellite (or cable) for sometime now because we really don't care about watching TV. BUT I would like to watch the SEC championship this weekend, so I picked up an HW-150PVR to use with my projector. And I still have a roof antenna from years ago that I used for over the air HD. The antenna hasn't been used in almost 10 years, but is still hooked up, so yesterday when I got the HW-150 I just connected it to the cable coming from the old antenna. I ran the auto scan and the tuner quickly picked up a few stations. I was excited to think that getting HD over the air was so easy and inexpensive these days! But I guess I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. :rolleyes: The HW-150 picked up 4-5 stations that I couldn't care less about, but unfortunately it did NOT pick up the CBS station that actually I need to watch the game this weekend. It picked up channel 13 (WVTM) out of Birmingham with decent strength, but didn't pick up channel 42 (WIAT) at all.

Now I know absolutely nothing about HD transmission/reception technology, but just from looking at each station's FCC license, it looks to me like I should be able to pick up 42 MUCH better than 13. According to their FCC licenses, 13 has a "Maximum effective radiated power (Average)" of 20 kW, and the height of their antenna is 598 meters above sea level, while 42 (virtual channel 30) has a "Maximum effective radiated power (Average)" of 1,000 kW, and the height of their antenna is 615 meters above sea level. Both stations are about 46 miles from my house, and their antennae are less than a mile apart from each other on top of Red Mountain in Birmingham. So I would think that my antenna should "see" them both as coming from virtually the exact same location?

Anyway, I can't imagine why I should be able to pick up 13 but not 42. And I did try to manually add 42 (virtual 30) with no luck. Is there some setting on the HW-150 I need to mess with? Can anybody shed any light on this situation?

David

#1,514 ·
So I would think that my antenna should "see" them both as coming from virtually the exact same location?

Anyway, I can't imagine why I should be able to pick up 13 but not 42. And I did try to manually add 42 (virtual 30) with no luck. Is there some setting on the HW-150 I need to mess with? Can anybody shed any light on this situation?

David
I'd try asking over in the HDTV technical area about improving reception: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

If you haven't already, go to http://tvfool.com/ to see what your local transmissions look like strength- and direction-wise from your home.

The HW-150 has worked very well reception-wise for me- located about 30 miles from the sources of my Chicago-based broadcasts.

#1,515 ·
Yeah I did the TVFool thing and again it looks like channel 42 has a stronger signal than a couple of the other stations that ARE being picked up (and all three antennae are on the same mountain top less than a mile from each other). You can see my TVFool results below. So I don't THINK that improving reception is my issue, and I'm just wondering if it's some kind of setting issue?

Attachments

#1,519 ·
Does anyone know if there is a fix/hack/setting that allows you to disable the channel banner? That thing is brutally ugly and overtly large. At least an option to move it around or resize it on the screen - or just an off/on option would be great. I read through the manual and couldn't seem to notice anything that allowed channel banner customization. I'd like to use this with my XBOX ONE and use the OneGuide for to make up for the lack of one in this unit.

Sorry if this question has been asked already, though I searched this threat and didn't see anyone with the same query.

#1,520 ·
Don't think it's been asked before. Are you referring to the info display that comes up for a few seconds when you change channels? The one that (sometimes) lists the current and upcoming show? If so, I'm not aware of any way to disable it, but you can hit Exit to remove it at once without having to wait for it to time out.

#1,521 ·
Yup, that's the one. A couple youtube videos out there show this box working in concert with the Xbox One. And it works well. The only problem from my perspective seems to be the info display not "meshing" well with the Xbox One overlay. Sure, not Homeworx's problem - however, with the data apparently hit-or-miss already, it would be nice if they could offer toggling options for it.

#1,522 ·
I wonder if there's a way to get the Xbox to send an "exit" key about 1 second after sending the new channel number, to make that info display go away?

I run iView firmware on my HW. It doesn't have a way to remove it either, but it does have a "transparency" option that might make it less annoying. However iView firmware requires the iView remote (and you'd have to tell the Xbox it's controlling an iView).

#1,523 ·
I wonder if there's a way to get the Xbox to send an "exit" key about 1 second after sending the new channel number, to make that info display go away?

I run iView firmware on my HW. It doesn't have a way to remove it either, but it does have a "transparency" option that might make it less annoying. However iView firmware requires the iView remote (and you'd have to tell the Xbox it's controlling an iView).

Now we are talking. I think a transparency option would go a long way to improving the situation. Is this a setting in the menu that is always on? Or does it require a button press each time the banner appears on screen for the transparency? Would you mind post/PM a picture of the transparency effect? Don't think the iView remote code would be an issue as long as it's in the Xbox One database. I can check on that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks! :grin:

#1,528 ·
The main difference between the two currently seems to be that the new version of the iView with the 3/4 switch on the back no longer allows antenna passthrough when it's on, meaning if you want to use the RF out on the iView to feed a TV's tuner or another DVR, the RF out will only work when the iView is off, thus preventing both the iView and the other device from tuning something at the same time. The Homeworx doesn't have this problem, nor do the original iView revisions.

#1,536 ·
Hello, I read through this thread but can't find an answer to my question. I've both emailed mediasonic and posted on their forum, but haven't found a solution yet.

I've connected my HW150 (just bought a week ago) to the Xbox One using an HDMI cable and it looks great. Everything works as it should, however the Xbox one is unable to control the HW150. I'm using an IR cable that works when plugged into my IR blaster system (so I know it's functional) but seems to not work when plugged into my Xbox one. I've added the unit to my Xbox one settings two different ways, both using MediaSonic HW150PVR, and HomeWorx HW150PVR. Both show that it's using the same remote code, but neither methods provide IR control. I've told the Xbox one to use IR, as I don't have a kinect. I've also tried changing the remote code to different ones mentioned in the forums, but it always says it's an invalid code.

So, right now, I have HDMI output going into the Xbox one, which is working great, but no control with the IR cable plugged into the back of the Xbox one. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks!

#1,545 ·
I've been reading about this device being added to my xb1 and in my travels I've seen lots of complaints about the IR extender not really working great. Many have reported success by basically taping the ir cable to the pvr directly. Even if separated by a small distance the results were mixed at best.

#1,540 ·
V1 just supports the demod chip used in the newest HW boxes. Not sure what the next (un-V-numbered) version did, other than introducing a new bug (all dates were 5 days off); Mediasonic released yet another unnumbered version to fix that bug.

Unfortunately it seems there is no current development being done on the HW or iView firmware to address long-standing bugs; only to support hardware changes.
I'm convinced this has something to do with the codes... Here's what I've tried and the results;

N4076 (default): valid, no response
N2058: invalid error
N4615: invalid error
N01FF: invalid error

N2851: valid, flashes screen on channel change, but no noticeable affect. No text appears on the screen either, so it's not sending recognizable channel change data. Also, box doesn't turn off/on.

I'm guessing my unit has a firmware that isn't compatible with the IR commands the xbox one expects it should receive. Argh.
Check the photo of the HW remote in the first post of this thread. Does your remote look the same?

If it does, I don't know what the problem might be: others have successfully controlled the HW with their XBoxes; the XBox sends that remote's codes.

If it's different, then Mediasonic has changed the remote. Post a photo here; maybe someone will recognize it.

#1,538 ·
I'm convinced this has something to do with the codes... Here's what I've tried and the results;

N4076 (default): valid, no response
N2058: invalid error
N4615: invalid error
N01FF: invalid error

N2851: valid, flashes screen on channel change, but no noticeable affect. No text appears on the screen either, so it's not sending recognizable channel change data. Also, box doesn't turn off/on.

I'm guessing my unit has a firmware that isn't compatible with the IR commands the xbox one expects it should receive. Argh.

#1,539 ·
Just reporting a weird bug that is happening for me. When I hit the 'USB' button on the remote, about 50% of the time, the screen goes blank and I have to hard reset my PVR. Needless to say, I don't navigate to the USB data that was anymore.

The other bug I've noticed (although I have no idea what triggers it) is that the PVR becomes unresponsive to the remote, and after 30 seconds or so, automatically reboots itself and becomes operational again.

Quirky indeed but still good bang for my buck overall.

#1,542 ·
I'm baffled then. I know several folks are using the XBox with the HW150. The XBox emulates the remote control you have.

BTW, the "new" remote isn't all that new. When the HW150 first came out, it came with the same remote but with some buttons laid out somewhat differently. That was the "old" remote.

The "old" remote didn't have a dash button, which gave the XBox fits trying to change to channels under 10. If you tried to tune to 2-1 it would tune to channel 21 instead :rolleyes:

By now, most HW150 owners have one with the "new" remote. I do have one of the "old" ones, but I replaced its firmware with iView firmware so I could use iView's remote instead. (I like iView's remote better.)

#1,544 ·
No - your box has the old Samsung demod chip. V1 and subsequent firmware versions won't work with it. AFAIK V14 is the latest from Mediasonic that will work with our older boxes.

IMO the only upgrade worth considering would be loading iView firmware (version V13a). That's mainly just to use iView's remote, although iView's firmware also has a menu transparency option you may like. If you want to try this, you need to do two things first:

1. Get an iView remote (or a universal remote that emulates it) first. Once you load iView firmware, the HW remote won't work anymore.
  2. Get a backup copy of V14 in case you want to switch back. The easiest way is probably to email Mediasonic, give them the system info for your HW, and request the QAM version of V14. (It will still work with OTA stations.)

Once you've done both of those things, you can download iView V13a firmware at http://www.iviewus.com/download/firmware/usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin onto a thumb drive and install it on your HW.

There will be some incompatibilities. The channel up/down buttons on the box itself won't work - you must use the iView remote to change channels. And it may disable some of the HW's outputs, such as the L/R analog audio outputs. Finally, if you're using an XBox or universal remote to control your HW, you'll need to set it for an iView model 3500STBII instead.

#1,548 ·
No, the old V3 units (I bought one) actually showed V3 after the SW version, not after the HW version. Your Amazon HW150 is one of the newer boxes with an "unnumbered" firmware version.

Regarding the NewEgg box: I've never seen an HW150 with V18 firmware before! Looks like it has the Samsung demod. The latest firmware I was aware of for that chip was V14.

Anyway, the bug with closed captions is a long-standing one. Most HW150's simply won't display them on playback - they only work during live viewing. What's surprising is that your Amazon box does display them on playback! That means Mediasonic actually fixed a bug - although due to hardware differences, the Amazon box's firmware wouldn't be compatible with your NewEgg box.

I think it'd be worth emailing Mediasonic and seeing if they have a fix (V19?) for your NewEgg box. If they do, let us know: several other HW150 owners would also like to get this bug fixed.

Regarding English subs on Spanish channels: not all channels broadcast these, but if they do, they're usually on service CC3. I know that's true for both Univision y Telemundo en DFW. See if you can set your Amazon box to CC3 in the menu.

#1,549 · (Edited)
Hi, Folks.

As this thread is still current and seems to be going strong, may I safely assume this unit (HW-150PVR) is still a good buy?

Is the HW-180STB worthy of consideration? Are there any other units that I should consider first?

My intended purpose is only to take OTA broadcasts directly into my HTR for convenience (though the PVR may come in handy). My TV is really slow at switching HDMI inputs.

#1,552 ·
(Weird - thought I responded earlier but now I don't see my post.)

Anyhow, yes; the HW-150PVR is still a good buy. You might also consider the iView, which is very similar.

Since the PVR function may come in handy, you probably should go with the HW-150PVR (or iView), not the HW-180STB. The latter lacks the PVR function, and given the low price of these boxes, there's no reason not to have that if you think you may use it someday.

#1,550 ·
Play while recording?

I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up, but I could not find anything in a search on this topic (including reading the manual).

I received the Homeworx HW-150 from Amazon for Christmas. I e-mailed Homeworx and received and installed the latest firmware version for it (Firmware is dated December 2014). Everything seems to be working well, but I can't figure out how to watch a show while it is being recorded. For example, if I program it to record a football game starting at 1 PM, then I come home at 2 PM, how do I start watching the football game from the beginning? With my old Magnavox DVR, I could simply enter into the recorded shows section (equivalent to the "USB" button, "PVR" area) and press "play from start". On the HW-150 unit, pressing the USB button to get to the PVR function while a show is recording either does nothing or pops up a message asking if I want to stop the recording.

#1,554 ·
I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up, but I could not find anything in a search on this topic (including reading the manual).

I received the Homeworx HW-150 from Amazon for Christmas. I e-mailed Homeworx and received and installed the latest firmware version for it (Firmware is dated December 2014). Everything seems to be working well, but I can't figure out how to watch a show while it is being recorded. For example, if I program it to record a football game starting at 1 PM, then I come home at 2 PM, how do I start watching the football game from the beginning? With my old Magnavox DVR, I could simply enter into the recorded shows section (equivalent to the "USB" button, "PVR" area) and press "play from start". On the HW-150 unit, pressing the USB button to get to the PVR function while a show is recording either does nothing or pops up a message asking if I want to stop the recording.
Depending how your version of firmware works (since it's a new version there may not be anyone here who knows yet which one of these is right for you) you can just try these things which work on various versions:

1. Simply press Play and it will start from the beginning.
2. Hit Play and then Rewind to the beginning.
3. Hit Pause and then Play and then Rewind.

If number 2 or 3 are the ones that work and you have a significant time that you want to rewind, the easy thing to do instead of rewinding, is just to use the GOTO button and enter a time for it to go back to. You can enter 1 second to go back to the beginning for instance.

Something to be aware of is that when the show you are watching is done recording, it will stop playing as well and you will then need to go into the recordings to watch the rest of it.

#1,551 ·
Going off memory, either you have to visually scan back to where you want to be(trying to avoid looking at the screen for things like a football game) or possibly push PLAY/PAUSE to get into play mode and then visually scan back to where you want to be. Either way it's not like a Tivo or most other DVRs where you can pull up a list of your recordings and start playing back from the beginning of your title.
One thing that these cheep little recorders can do that very few if any other ones can do is to let you change to another sub channel while recording a channel in the same physical channel. IOW say if recording 2.1 it will let you change the channel to 2.2, 2.3 or any other channel that is using the same physical channel as the one you are recording.
Note this doesn't help you and personally I'd trade that feature for the ability to playback titles on my HDD while recording something else but it does show the odd feature set these little recorders have.

#1,555 ·
jprc and jjeff,

Thank you so much for your replies. For me, number 1, "Simply press Play and it will start from the beginning", is what worked for me - so simple that I never tried it!

For the record, I now have firmware:

Model:HW-150PVR
SW Version: Dec 15 2014 16:47:18-v2.0
HW: MLG7802-ATSC-QAM-V3

#1,558 ·
My experience with channel reception is much different than summguy's. I found I received MORE stations with the HW-150 than I do with either my (new) Vizio 55" TV or my (old) Magnavox 2160A DVR. And, those channels that are "Weak" on the TV are stronger on the HW-150. YRMV

#1,578 ·
I found the same thing -- I have had issues picking up channels with questionable reception when hooked to my TV; however, after connecting the this tuner I'm getting about 5 channels I didn't pick up when hooked directly to the TV. (30miles NW of Philadelphia)

Also, I'll just note that I have this hooked up to an Xbox One with Kinect and it's overall working great for the last week. My only issue is sometimes when I leave the TV app running on my xbox and then shut it down (low power mode) on restart the OneGuide does not change channels. Requires I either 1) make sure to shut down the app completely before I turn off the xbox or if I forgot 2) hard power off both the tuner & xbox and then restart both.

Beyond that its been working about as well as I can expect for $40....next is to connect a HDD and use the dvr functions.

#1,560 ·
I partially agree with summguy. The HW-150PVR tuner isn't as good as the typical TV tuner or converter box. I think its AGC doesn't have as much range; it can be tough to get a clean signal that's nether too strong (causing overload) nor too weak to get all stations. However, it's usually good enough for most stations in most environments. YMMV.

I haven't used the HW-180STB; however, I doubt its tuner is any different. The iView also uses the same tuner.

#1,561 ·
Another newbie question here. When I use this unit to timeshift or to watch a show while recording, there is a bar towards the bottom of the screen that shows at what time you are at in the show, and what time the unit is recording. The bar goes away when I fast forward to catch back up to real time TV. Trouble is the bar is opaque and blocks a portion of the screen (in Saturday's playoff game, a very important portion - the stats like the score, down, yards to go, etc!). Is there any way to get rid of the bar while watching the show in time shift mode?