Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 57 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #1681 of 1697 Old 02-28-2015, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I have confirmed with others on the Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV AVS Forum that most of our stations are sending out the wrong time -

Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
No. Info by channel:
7 new state of the art system that is exactly 16 seconds slow
10 +/1 one second since 2010
13 was doing pretty good for awhile now drifting forward currently +29 seconds
15 The biggest problem of all. Perfect one day, +2 minutes a few days later then -2 minutes a few days after that. Probably a computer system problem. I don't think the engineer can do anything about it.

21 Drifts forward a few seconds a day. When the error approaches 5 minutes I email the station.
27 +/-2 seconds
38 +/- 1 second failed once 2010 - email to ION got it fixed
43 Was +/1 second now holding at about -29 seconds

That being said, if you averaged all the stations together, the total error has always been under +/- 1 minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1697 Old 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM

So my next question is, does it make sense to put in short recordings on a verified time-correct channel in between the recordings I actually want, just to keep the HW on the right time?
post #1683 of 1697 Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdtv View Post
So my next question is, does it make sense to put in short recordings on a verified time-correct channel in between the recordings I actually want, just to keep the HW on the right time?
This works with the 180 and the 150 I had . Turn to the station with the correct time , then set the timer to record what you want instead of the EPG and leave the unit on not on standby . When the recording time is done the unit automatically goes back to the original channel with the correct time . Also some networks don't start the programs at the time listed like tomorrow Mike and Molly is scheduled to start at 8:31 . CBS does that a lot . I use the TV Guide android app when you tap on a show it will tell the correct start and stop times , sometimes they go over a minute and the next one may start a minute late.
JHBrandt and jdhdtv like this.
post #1684 of 1697 Old 03-01-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdtv View Post
Yes, I have confirmed with others on the Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV AVS Forum that most of our stations are sending out the wrong time -

Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
No. Info by channel:
7 new state of the art system that is exactly 16 seconds slow
10 +/1 one second since 2010
13 was doing pretty good for awhile now drifting forward currently +29 seconds
15 The biggest problem of all. Perfect one day, +2 minutes a few days later then -2 minutes a few days after that. Probably a computer system problem. I don't think the engineer can do anything about it.

21 Drifts forward a few seconds a day. When the error approaches 5 minutes I email the station.
27 +/-2 seconds
38 +/- 1 second failed once 2010 - email to ION got it fixed
43 Was +/1 second now holding at about -29 seconds

That being said, if you averaged all the stations together, the total error has always been under +/- 1 minute.
Well, it's not as bad as I thought. It sounds like 15 and 21 are your biggest problems. (If I read RabbitEars.info right, those are your PBS and CW affiliates.) It doesn't sound like the others are far enough off to worry about. You aren't going to get atomic-clock precision from even the best station.

Yes, I would probably schedule a 1-minute recording on one of the "good" stations 5 minutes after recording anything on one of the two "bad" stations. And, add a minute of padding before and after each recording you schedule.

It won't be possible to add padding between back-to-back recordings, of course. But if back-to-back recordings are on the same station, you could just schedule a single recording covering both shows. (If desired, you could split them apart later with video editing software on a PC.)
post #1685 of 1697 Old 03-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I flashed my

HW-150PVR

with firmware from

iView 3500STBII

and I ordered newest iView 3500STBII remote in the hopes that it will control the HW-150PVR flashed with 3500STBII firmware but it doesn't.

All that happens when I turn on the HW-150PVR with the hardware button is an iView screen shows up on my TV and then momentarily my TV will say 'No Signal'. The 3500STBII remote I ordered or the hardware channel changing buttons won't work.

Is it possible to flash with the HW-150PVR firmware by turning on the PVR with a USB flash drive inserted and the firmware in the root folder of the USB drive by some holding down some hardware button combination N number of seconds on power up?

If not, which of the two:

iView 3500STBII or the HW-180STB

do you think would most likely pick up HGTV in the clear over Time Warner cable lines? My Panasonic DVR/VCR 10 year old made even before HD was a requirement in the USA can pick up HGTV on this TWC cable line.

I did notice the HW-180STB is been made to look much sleeker than the previous HW-180STB, mainly by moving the USB port to the back. Actually, I take that back, large white lettering on the front is like advertising in your home but I guess that can be removed.

Thanks.
post #1686 of 1697 Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds as if you used the wrong firmware version. Both Homeworx and iView have two mutually incompatible demod chips, and each requires its own firmware:
  • Newer HW-150s that came with V1, V2, or an un-numbered firmware version will work with iView firmware version 1, 2, 2a, or 3, available at http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html
  • Older HW-150s that came with V10-V18 will work with iView firmware version V10/V13, available on iView's web site.

The main symptom of using the wrong version is the inability to receive any channels.

All versions of iView firmware disable the front-panel channel up/down buttons on the HW-150. So if you can't use the iView remote, it sounds like you bricked your HW-150.

As far as a new box for unencrypted digital cable, an iView is probably the quickest solution. The HW-150 and HW-180 will work, but you'll have to get QAM-ready firmware, either from Mediasonic (you have to email them the system info for your HW and they'll send you the QAM firmware) or by using iView firmware (as you tried with your HW-150).

Keep in mind that neither the iView nor the Homeworx works very well with cable. There's no guide, and you may have to hook up an antenna and manually scan in an OTA station just to get the clock set! But I suppose they're better than nothing....
post #1687 of 1697 Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgroCoders View Post

I flashed my

HW-150PVR

with firmware from

iView 3500STBII

and I ordered newest iView 3500STBII remote in the hopes that it will control the HW-150PVR flashed with 3500STBII firmware but it doesn't.

All that happens when I turn on the HW-150PVR with the hardware button is an iView screen shows up on my TV and then momentarily my TV will say 'No Signal'. The 3500STBII remote I ordered or the hardware channel changing buttons won't work.

Is it possible to flash with the HW-150PVR firmware by turning on the PVR with a USB flash drive inserted and the firmware in the root folder of the USB drive by some holding down some hardware button combination N number of seconds on power up?

If not, which of the two:

iView 3500STBII or the HW-180STB

do you think would most likely pick up HGTV in the clear over Time Warner cable lines? My Panasonic DVR/VCR 10 year old made even before HD was a requirement in the USA can pick up HGTV on this TWC cable line.

I did notice the HW-180STB is been made to look much sleeker than the previous HW-180STB, mainly by moving the USB port to the back. Actually, I take that back, large white lettering on the front is like advertising in your home but I guess that can be removed.

Thanks.

Well the batteries in the drawer was drained that I put in the remote I ordered from directly iView Company so good batteries and I was able to compare the iView firmware with the MediaSonic firmware.

That 10 year old Panasonic DVR/VCR/SDR, looks like I'll be keeping it although it must weigh 20 lbs and is bigger that even the old VCRs of the 1980s.

Functionality wise I was the iView and the MediaSonic SW are identical.

The OTA, video, photo, and picture playback work fine though and that's more than enough for me.

If either iView or MediaSonic make any improvements to future models other than minor cosmetic ones I'll buy another but in their current state without the addition of good and fully functional QAM there is no reason to buy any further models. Most problems spoken of in these forums and elsewhere regarding QAM problems on these PVRs due to poor signal are not true. It's a device design issue and it's not poor quality tuning chips.

Anyway, for now I have about 1000 CDs I've bought and ripped at 320 kbs so I'm looking to try 128GB USB Flash with this this year.

One thing I would like to see them offer for sale is the source code to the firmware and the build instructions and needed link libraries that were recompiled. I've not sure if this is Linux, Android, Java, vxWorks, or other RT firware though. Practically speaking, it'd need to be Linux or Android to have any interest in buying it (or rather more correctly buying a single user license to take a look at the source code).

Thanks.

Ciao
post #1688 of 1697 Old 03-09-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It sounds as if you used the wrong firmware version. Both Homeworx and iView have two mutually incompatible demod chips, and each requires its own firmware:
  • Newer HW-150s that came with V1, V2, or an un-numbered firmware version will work with iView firmware version 1, 2, 2a, or 3, available at http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html
  • Older HW-150s that came with V10-V18 will work with iView firmware version V10/V13, available on iView's web site.

The main symptom of using the wrong version is the inability to receive any channels.

All versions of iView firmware disable the front-panel channel up/down buttons on the HW-150. So if you can't use the iView remote, it sounds like you bricked your HW-150.

As far as a new box for unencrypted digital cable, an iView is probably the quickest solution. The HW-150 and HW-180 will work, but you'll have to get QAM-ready firmware, either from Mediasonic (you have to email them the system info for your HW and they'll send you the QAM firmware) or by using iView firmware (as you tried with your HW-150).

Keep in mind that neither the iView nor the Homeworx works very well with cable. There's no guide, and you may have to hook up an antenna and manually scan in an OTA station just to get the clock set! But I suppose they're better than nothing....
Thanks. I solved my problem. It was just empty batteries.

I'll not buy another of these models since this one works and it's pretty plain all of these companies have licensed generic HW and SW and asked for minor cosmetic changes to make their product unique.

I have a Radio Shack digital A/B switch and the QAM can't nearly match the Panasonic but as occasional OTA PVR and media player for my computer files these are as good as you can get truthfully get right now. They need major cosmetic improvement to keep same BR footprint but make them less tall and gecko feet to keep still due to their light weight and should they update the QAM to match the Panasonic then a new one is worth a look.

Thanks.
post #1689 of 1697 Old 03-11-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad you didn't brick your HW. Both iView and Homeworx have notoriously poor QAM support. That's why Mediasonic's default firmware doesn't even enable QAM: they tried for a short while but got too many complaints, so now it's by special request and unsupported. iView's firmware still supports QAM as shipped, so if you must have QAM on one of these boxes, it's the preferred one; but to be blunt, you'll probably be happier with a different DVR.

Unfortunately, outside of TiVo. a PC, or your cable company's offerings, there aren't a lot of DVRs with QAM tuners to choose from. I think the TViX 6620 and the Channel Master 7400 will tune QAM, but both are out of production; ePVision's PHD-VRX will also work, but its firmware is notoriously buggy.

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the TViX. I'm just glad I'm OTA so my Homeworx with iView firmware usually works OK.

For an OTA user like me, the main advantage of iView firmware is the ability to use iView's better remote control. There are also a few cosmetic improvements but nothing huge.

OTOH, I think iView has pretty much stopped any work on their boxes' firmware, while Mediasonic did go on to fix at least one bug last year (closed captions now work on recordings with the latest Homeworx boxes).
post #1690 of 1697 Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
This works with the 180 and the 150 I had . Turn to the station with the correct time , then set the timer to record what you want instead of the EPG and leave the unit on not on standby . When the recording time is done the unit automatically goes back to the original channel with the correct time . Also some networks don't start the programs at the time listed like tomorrow Mike and Molly is scheduled to start at 8:31 . CBS does that a lot . I use the TV Guide android app when you tap on a show it will tell the correct start and stop times , sometimes they go over a minute and the next one may start a minute late.
This technique has given me very good results, thanks!
post #1691 of 1697 Old Today, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm just glad I'm OTA so my Homeworx with iView firmware usually works OK.

For an OTA user like me, the main advantage of iView firmware is the ability to use iView's better remote control. There are also a few cosmetic improvements but nothing huge.

OTOH, I think iView has pretty much stopped any work on their boxes' firmware, while Mediasonic did go on to fix at least one bug last year (closed captions now work on recordings with the latest Homeworx boxes).
Two questions:

A) By iView having a better remote you mean the buttons are more responsive? better layout? or what?
B) Does the closed captioning NOT work on the iView?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #1692 of 1697 Old Today, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 118
A. Yes better layout, some of the remotes on these cheap DVRs have very tiny buttons laid out very illogically. If you use a universal or Harmony remote it doesn't really matter.
B. It records CC but to play them back you need to use a PC or other media player.
post #1693 of 1697 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
A) By iView having a better remote you mean the buttons are more responsive? better layout? or what?
IMO, the iView remote's advantages are (in order of importance to me):
  1. Programmable set of keys to operate TV (so I never need to reach for the TV's remote)
  2. Larger keys
  3. Easier to read labels
  4. Somewhat better layout
  5. Uses AA batteries that last longer than AAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
B) Does the closed captioning NOT work on the iView?
CC works when watching live (including time-shifting, I think); but on all iViews and all but the newest Homeworxes, it doesn't work when watching a recording (although as jjeff said, the captions are recorded and will work if played on a PC with the right software).
post #1694 of 1697 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, you two. CC doesn't matter much to me actually. So it sounds like I should buy an iView, for the nicer remote, unless they have some other major quirks which their no longer updated software (?) hasn't already addressed. All things being equal I'd like to support whichever company is still actively addressing customer issues as they come to be discovered. Which brand would that be?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #1695 of 1697 Old Today, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

iView firmware has no major quirks (except those shared by the Homeworx). AFAIK, CC on recordings is the only thing that works on the Homeworx but not the iView. (There might be a few other minor fixes I don't know about. I'd love to pick up a new HW-150 just to see; but they've gone up in price since the holidays, so I've been holding back in hopes they go down again.)

Among these $40-$50 boxes, Mediasonic (i.e., Homeworx) seems to be the most responsive, followed by iView; with the other clones bringing up the rear. But that's not saying much. None of them have really done a good job of dealing with firmware issues.

The only other issue with the iView seems to be hardware-related. Several iView users have complained about losing the connection to the HDD, causing missed or incomplete recordings. The problems seem to come from flaky USB sockets and/or the iView's power supply being rather weak. I haven't seen many complaints about similar problems with the Homeworx.

If you're willing to look at a much more expensive box, Channel Master and Echostar continue to improve the firmware of their DVR+ product. It's also a nicer product with two tuners, a full two-week program guide, and some apps for Internet streaming services like YouTube. But it's $249 plus shipping when purchased direct from CM, and even more expensive from other sellers like Amazon.
post #1696 of 1697 Old Today, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I expect to use this new device infrequently and predominantly just as an OTA ATSC tuner for when my premium cable goes out. I just did a scan and have determined that a clear QAM tuner is pointless for where I live: just a few worthless channels I'd never watch, but luckily HDTV reception is pretty good in my new home with just an indoor [silver seven?] antenna I have. Recording isn't all that important although I do have an unused USB harddrive needing to be repurposed. I can't justify a Channel Master sort of priced unit but these < $50 priced units came as a complete surprise to me.

post #1697 of 1697 Unread Today, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I see. As tuners I think either box will do fine. In that case I'd give the nod to the iView for its remote.

If your unused HDD is powered from the USB port, you might invest in a USB "Y" cable so you can power it from a USB wall-wart instead of the tuner. A "Y" cable will also reduce the amount of plugging/unplugging of the tuner's USB port. If it wears out, it's a lot cheaper to replace a USB cable than the USB port on the tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page