Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1711 of 1730 Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I've never tried it. I doubt it though. at least not without changing the firmware. They have the same functions, but I don't think they use the same codes.

Same problem occurs with the iView remote. All the same functions are there, but the codes are completely different. You have to load iView firmware on the HW to make the iView remote work.

The eMatic remote appears identical to the HW-180 remote, though, so I suspect those are interchangeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1730 Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks JH I ordered the Ematic should be here tommorow. I also did a 2 yrs warranty repair with amazon for $4 just in case.

post #1713 of 1730 Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM

Well the Ematic arrived today. It's smaller than the HW and the menu's look more mordern and colorful then the HW. The only thing it does not have the coaxial so you won't get DD when you watch the replay of the files, but if you are watching it live it's DD. I plugged in the HD to the Ematic and it's working so that is a relief, PHEW. The Ematic remote did not work on the HW, so I may have to order the HW remote later on. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend or next week.
wyelkins likes this.

post #1714 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 06:11 AM

The cool thing also is there is no 12am bug on the Ematic either and the remote is nicer and thicker.
JHBrandt likes this.

post #1715 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
The cool thing also is there is no 12am bug on the Ematic either and the remote is nicer and thicker.
That would be worth it, if I were in the market for another DVR. My iView has the midnight bug where any event spanning midnight records forever unless you manually stop it, which is a pain because often times when I used it, it would be for events spanning midnight and the next morning it would still be recording
How something so obvious made it past the testing stages amazes me
post #1716 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
That would be worth it, if I were in the market for another DVR. My iView has the midnight bug where any event spanning midnight records forever unless you manually stop it, which is a pain because often times when I used it, it would be for events spanning midnight and the next morning it would still be recording
How something so obvious made it past the testing stages amazes me
Yeah I was shocked when I woke up I saw that the box was off. They also installed the cable channel firmware without having to email anyone. Just sucks that the Coaxial was not added. I wonder why HDMI can't have this feature to get Dolby Digital when viewing files on any of these DVR boxes? Am also looking to see if the Ematic has firmware update?

post #1717 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 811
What does it matter? You don't need to "get" Dolby Digital, as it's part of the broadcast. It doesn't matter whether the Homeworx or your receiver decodes it.
post #1718 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
What does it matter? You don't need to "get" Dolby Digital, as it's part of the broadcast. It doesn't matter whether the Homeworx or your receiver decodes it.
I like the surround on some of my shows, so yeah it's cool to have. I can use my Oppo or Sony players to get DD with the files, but the box should be able to do it.

post #1719 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 811
HDMI delivers 5.1 surround, unless the Homeworx is broken and always downmixes to 2.0 over HDMI?
post #1720 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
HDMI delivers 5.1 surround, unless the Homeworx is broken and always downmixes to 2.0 over HDMI?
Yep. I will change HDMI cable on the Ematic, but the HW always had that issue and I always used the Coaxial to get 5.1 with the files.

post #1721 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Nope just stereo on the Ematic as well with files. Ah it's ok no biggie.

post #1722 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Nope just stereo on the Ematic as well with files. Ah it's ok no biggie.
This is a well-known bug in all these boxes. If you're watching live or watching a "movie," you can set Digital Audio to "RAW HDMI On" and the box will pass DD 5.1 audio directly to your receiver. But if you're watching a recording, it always down-mixes to 2.0

There's a workaround but you need a PC. Simply rename your recordings, changing the extension from .mts to .ts. Then the box will think they're "movies" and pass the DD 5.1 audio to your receiver.
post #1723 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
My iView has the midnight bug where any event spanning midnight records forever unless you manually stop it, which is a pain because often times when I used it, it would be for events spanning midnight and the next morning it would still be recording
I'm confused; I thought that midnight bug had already been fixed. I've scheduled midnight-crossing recordings without running into it.

There's another midnight bug that hasn't been fixed AFAIK: if you try to schedule a recording that spans midnight, and you already have other recordings scheduled for the same day, these boxes will falsely report a conflict. You have to delete the other recordings scheduled for that day, schedule the midnight-crossing recording first, then reschedule the others, to get around it.
post #1724 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This is a well-known bug in all these boxes. If you're watching live or watching a "movie," you can set Digital Audio to "RAW HDMI On" and the box will pass DD 5.1 audio directly to your receiver. But if you're watching a recording, it always down-mixes to 2.0

There's a workaround but you need a PC. Simply rename your recordings, changing the extension from .mts to .ts. Then the box will think they're "movies" and pass the DD 5.1 audio to your receiver.
Thanks I forgot about that. By the way the Ematic is V2 which was added on Jan. 2015
Was the HW-150 midnight bug fixed? If so where can I get that firmware? Darn I'm trying to buy the HW-150 remote, but when I click on it, it does nothing.

post #1725 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Which firmware version is your HW-150 on?
post #1726 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 PM

JH It's v14 why?

Last edited by afterlife2; 07-25-2015 at 07:51 PM.
post #1727 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the version I have, but I haven't experienced run-on recordings when crossing midnight IIRC I only crossed midnight by a couple of minutes, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Anyway, I don't think there's an upgrade from V14. (I do remember someone had a HW-150 with V18, but I don't know of anyone who has that version as a file. Mediasonic quit posting firmware files for download around V14 due to compatibility issues.)
post #1728 of 1730 Old 07-25-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I suspect USB hubs won't work without drivers and I don't think our PVRs are setup to supply drivers to outboard hubs. Instead, a powered USB splitter along the line of a USB "Y cord" with one end plugged to the USB charger port of say a cell phone, like the white cube which Apple supplies with their iphones, might be a better bet.

P.S. I have these on order from monoprice for another application but I thought to try it on my PVR and hard drive too:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Oops, I guess I would need another male to male USB to make it work.
Strike that. It injects extra current from the AC adaptor. The second female USB isn't used. Think of it as a powered USB extension cord. I hope the (optional?) "hub" aspect doesn't need drivers.

So I just plugged it in. As JHBrandt said it does get recognized as a "generic hub" on both my notebook and the iView lists "USB 1" and "USB 2". Here is my initial findings should anyone else be looking to get some 32 feet of extension and expansion:

It powers and reads my thumb drive all by itself. No AC power needed thanks to the bus powered internal amp (it has a red LED to show it is active) even though it is now 32 extra feet away. My Western Digital 2 TB Ultra Passport [bus powered] is a different matter though. Without the AC cord plugged into the new extender/hub cord, its power light comes on and it seems as if it "should" work but when you attempt to read the 2TB drive all you get is a blank page and the drive does not spin. Good thing I got the optional AC power cord! That makes it all work great!

P.S. They have shorter less expensive versions and longer more expensive versions even getting up to, *gulp*, 82 feet long, should people be interested.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-25-2015 at 09:11 PM.
post #1729 of 1730 Old Today, 06:54 AM

JH do you think if I put the v14 again on the HW the midnight bug fix may work?

post #1730 of 1730 Old Today, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I suppose it's possible your HW firmware is corrupted. If so reinstalling might fix several problems - maybe even your remote. Or it might not help at all.

You'd just have to try and see, but ... if your remote isn't working, how can you get to the menu to reinstall it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders