Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1741 of 1748 Old Today, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
It's a pretty simple question. Why not just tell us the answer?
Well simply no issues as I don't let the batteries run low. My Universal UR50 which gets used the most has a battery indicater, so if they are running low I recharge it and the other remotes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1748 Old Today, 11:52 AM

So this is what the HW remote does any button I press they work as a up and down key, except that only the up button works on every button. Get what I mean?

post #1743 of 1748 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
JH All the batteries I tried are new or rechargables and same result. I tried a couple of remotes other remotes and they all lit up. The HW remote lights up too. Should I order another remote or just give up?

Cool Thanks JH. I'm gonna order that usb for the Ematic. While watching a show the picture froze once while I watched a show maybe this will help.
I've learned to avoid using rechargeable batteries in remote controls. They have a lower voltage than alkaline batteries and sometimes that causes problems. So you might try alkaline batteries in your HW remote just to see if it makes a difference.

It depends on the remote though; some remotes work just fine with rechargeable batteries. I just got tired of trying to keep track of which remotes would work with them and which ones wouldn't.

You might try the powered USB hub with your HW too! Plug it in and see if it goes longer before the remote stops working. If it does, that's a good indication the HW is overheating.

BTW, you've mentioned a couple of intermittent problems with your new eMatic. I hope it's not defective.
post #1744 of 1748 Old Today, 02:39 PM

Actually I had alkaline on the remote when it stopped working and put fresh ones and same thing. I've read on amazon that the Ematic freezes, so I was not surprised. I bet it's the USB thing like you said. I have the Ematic standing up so air circulate better on top and underneath. I'm gonna order that USB today. What do you think of the remote only working as the down button only JH. What would cause that?

post #1745 of 1748 Old Today, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 363
The batteries.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #1746 of 1748 Old Today, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The batteries.
But I used new ones same thing.

post #1747 of 1748 Old Today, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Actually I had alkaline on the remote when it stopped working and put fresh ones and same thing.... What do you think of the remote only working as the down button only JH. What would cause that?
Well clearly the HW is misreading the signals from the remote. We don't know, though, whether the remote is sending the wrong signals or the HW is just not reading them correctly.

If the remote never worked right, I could see a short in the keypad causing it to read every button (except "up") as "down" and emit the "down" code. But you've reported that if you don't use it for a couple of days, it works for a while, then fails. This sounds more like an overheating problem, but the remote is battery-operated and always "off" except when you press a button. (Otherwise, our remote batteries would run down in a few days.) So there's nothing in the remote that could "cool down" when you take the batteries out.

Thus, I'm thinking it's more likely the HW itself is overheating. Its power supply is the most likely culprit, but it could be another component like the "system-on-a-chip" too. I'm guessing there's some quirk of the HW firmware that makes "down" a default action if it gets a signal from the remote but doesn't know exactly what it is.

My old LCD TV does something similar: if it gets a remote code it doesn't understand, it's default action is to power off. (Luckily for me it does that when it's cold, not when it's hot, so I can avoid the problem simply by leaving it on.)

If it's the HW power supply overheating, lightening the load would probably help. The easy way is simply to unplug the HDD. Of course then you can't record or play anything, but the idea is simply to see if the remote keeps working, or at least works longer than usual. If so, you'd know it was the HW and that buying a new remote probably wouldn't help.
post #1748 of 1748 Old Today, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 363
It's unfortunate some people seem to think batteries have only two states of condition: good [works] and bad [doesn't work] whereas in truth there is an intermediate state of condition where what happens on one day may seem to completly reverse itself after a few hours or on another day.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...uestion390.htm

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page