Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
post #1801 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I left the Ematic DVR run for over 8 hrs last night with the HD and the fan seemed to help alot. The most it got was warm, which is great cause without a fan you could cook an egg on top. Will keep you inform as I go along...JH I had the Ematic in NTFS reformat the HD when I got it. I have not used it yet still hoping to get my files back I guess but I'm dreaming. I'm using the old one I have with the ematic.

Last edited by afterlife2; 08-22-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
I left the Ematic DVR run for over 8 hrs last night with the HD and the fan seemed to help alot. The most it got was warm, which is great cause without a fan you could cook an egg on top. Will keep you inform as I go along...JH I had the Ematic in NTFS reformat the HD when I got it. I have not used it yet still hoping to get my files back I guess but I'm dreaming. I'm using the old one I have with the ematic.
That's great. So the eMatic uses NTFS, same as the HW150.

I only asked because of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
The other BUG is that files made with the 150 do not playback on the hw180 different file system firmware,
... which implies that the HW180 doesn't use NTFS (or FAT32). I can't imagine why you couldn't share files otherwise.

I always thought the HW180, the eMatic, and the iView 3200 were all basically the same; either the HW180 is different from the other two, or mickinct's post was wrong.
post #1803 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That's great. So the eMatic uses NTFS, same as the HW150.

I only asked because of this:... which implies that the HW180 doesn't use NTFS (or FAT32). I can't imagine why you couldn't share files otherwise.

I always thought the HW180, the eMatic, and the iView 3200 were all basically the same; either the HW180 is different from the other two, or mickinct's post was wrong.
Correction............. THE 180 with V9 and the 180 with v10 are different , if you take the hdd that you recorded on the v9 and try to play them back on the v10 it will not play the files. the versions are on the machine on the bottom. it is the firmware not the NTFS that is the issue, they BOTH format NTFS. I have both versions , and I do not play them back with the unit I use my media players.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 08-22-2015 at 02:11 PM.
post #1804 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

OK so it's not the file system; everybody's using NTFS. Whew!

Still, something must be different between V9 and V10, and none of these boxes is doing anything fancy when recording: just combining the video stream and audio stream(s) for the subchannel being recorded into a file it writes to the HDD. So what could they have changed that would stop you from playing back a V9 file on a V10 box?

Here's what I can think of:

• Different folder name. The HW150's use a folder named HBPVR for recordings. Does V9 or V10 use a different folder?
  • Different file extension/container format. The HW150's use .mts; do V9 or V10 use something else?
post #1805 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK so it's not the file system; everybody's using NTFS. Whew!

Still, something must be different between V9 and V10, and none of these boxes is doing anything fancy when recording: just combining the video stream and audio stream(s) for the subchannel being recorded into a file it writes to the HDD. So what could they have changed that would stop you from playing back a V9 file on a V10 box?

Here's what I can think of:

• Different folder name. The HW150's use a folder named HBPVR for recordings. Does V9 or V10 use a different folder?
  • Different file extension/container format. The HW150's use .mts; do V9 or V10 use something else?
  • Different folder name. The HW150's use a folder named HBPVR for recordings. Does V9 or V10 use a different folder? HBPVR
  • Different file extension/container format. The HW150's use .mts; do V9 or V10 use something else? .MTS THE v10 has a newer better tuner, and does not have the wall adapter for power.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 08-22-2015 at 02:31 PM.
post #1806 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

So everything is the same; yet the V9 files still won't play? That's very strange.

Try this: take one of the recordings that won't play and rename it on a PC, changing the ".mts" to just ".ts," then see if it plays as a "movie." (This is the old trick for getting DD 5.1 sound out a recording, but in this case I just want to see if it plays at all.)
post #1807 of 1827 Old 08-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Clear QAM

Just to answer my own question, the new 180-STB does support clear QAM with firmware version 10.1. Just got mine from Amazon and was able to
tune these by selecting Channel Search -> Cable from the Menu. Also picks
up the numerous scrambled channels though.

Thanks to mediasonic support !

HTH !
post #1808 of 1827 Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM

On a related note, is there a way to set the clock manually in the 180-STB ? That would help to schedule timer recordings
of these QAM channels

EDIT : Never mind , the box actually picked up the right time from the QAM channels.

Last edited by lanb; 08-24-2015 at 07:35 PM.
post #1809 of 1827 Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the mediasonic hw-150pvr play back recorded shows in dolby digital 5.1 via HDMI that were broadcasted in dolby digital 5.1?
post #1810 of 1827 Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngasius View Post
Can the mediasonic hw-150pvr play back recorded shows in dolby digital 5.1 via HDMI that were broadcasted in dolby digital 5.1?
IIRC you have to access the recorded file with a PC and change the file extension from .mts to .ts, and then you can get 5.1 audio on playback. You'll only get stereo if you don't change the extension.
post #1811 of 1827 Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I will have to pass on this one then. Do any of these cheap boxes playback in DD 5.1?
post #1812 of 1827 Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

No. They all have the same bug, AFAIK. You need to step up to the DVR+ at least if you want 5.1 playback.
post #1813 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
No. They all have the same bug, AFAIK. You need to step up to the DVR+ at least if you want 5.1 playback.
You set audio in menu option to RAW.

MickinCT
post #1814 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
IIRC you have to access the recorded file with a PC and change the file extension from .mts to .ts, and then you can get 5.1 audio on playback. You'll only get stereo if you don't change the extension.

MickinCT
post #1815 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngasius View Post
Yes, but as Aleron Ives mentioned, due to a bug it's not exactly straightforward:

Quote:
DD 5.1 bug: When playing back a recording, it always plays in stereo even on DD 5.1-capable audio equipment. Workaround is to change the file extension from .mts to .ts and play the recording as a "movie;" the audio will then play in DD 5.1.
AFAIK all these boxes (HW150, HW180, iView 3200, iView 3500, eMatic, etc.) have this bug. But I don't have a DD 5.1 AVR and I couldn't possibly test them all myself anyway. If anyone has one of these boxes that plays back recordings in DD 5.1 without having to change the file extension, please post the box and firmware version that works!

Quote:
Well, you have to do that to get DD 5.1 at all, even when watching live. But unless your box has firmware that fixes the above bug (and please let us know if you do!) it still doesn't work when playing back a recording.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Yesterday at 12:07 PM. Reason: One more reply
post #1816 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
Just to answer my own question, the new 180-STB does support clear QAM with firmware version 10.1. Just got mine from Amazon and was able to tune these by selecting Channel Search -> Cable from the Menu. Also picks up the numerous scrambled channels though.

Thanks to mediasonic support !

HTH !
It does help. As I noted earlier, the last HW150 I bought also supported clear QAM (although I have nothing to test it with). So apparently Mediasonic is now shipping these boxes with clear QAM enabled, even if they don't advertise or support it. Probably saves them from having to provide umpteen different QAM firmware versions to folks who request it. Seems like they change firmware versions every few months, and trying to keep up with all the different versions they've sold probably just got out of hand.

Picking up scrambled channels is a longstanding bug, and an especially annoying one if it makes you hit the 400-channel limit. I guess they still haven't addressed that one.
post #1817 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, but as Aleron Ives mentioned, due to a bug it's not exactly straightforward:

AFAIK all these boxes (HW150, HW180, iView 3200, iView 3500, eMatic, etc.) have this bug. But I don't have a DD 5.1 AVR and I couldn't possibly test them all myself anyway. If anyone has one of these boxes that plays back recordings in DD 5.1 without having to change the file extension, please post the box and firmware version that works!

Well, you have to do that to get DD 5.1 at all, even when watching live. But unless your box has firmware that fixes the above bug (and please let us know if you do!) it still doesn't work when playing back a recording.
I have v10.0 no DD 5.1 on playback through unit, but when played back on my KDlinks hd720 units is is full 5.1 DD.via HDMI to my Yamaha HTR

MickinCT
post #1818 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Getting rid of scrambled channels

Quote:
Picking up scrambled channels is a longstanding bug, and an especially annoying one if it makes you hit the 400-channel limit. I guess they still haven't addressed that one.
Yeah, Here is what I did -

1) Did the auto scan to get both the scrambled and clear channels. Luckily, my max was 378 channels (below 400 limit).
2) Went thru all the channels and noted the main channels which had clear QAM (about 10+)
3) Set the channel search to Air and did a auto scan again which cleared all the stored channels.
4) Set the channel search to Cable and did a channel by channel manual scan of the 10 clear QAM channels, using the previously noted main channel #s .

Easier than deleting 368 scrambled channels
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1819 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have v10.0 no DD 5.1 on playback through unit, but when played back on my KDlinks hd720 units is is full 5.1 DD.via HDMI to my Yamaha HTR
Yes, but you're bypassing the bug in a different way. People want to get DD 5.1 when playing their recordings on the DVR, and you can't. There's nothing wrong with the recordings; the DD 5.1 is still there. These boxes just refuse to play all 6 channels unless you change the extension from .mts to .ts, and you can't do that unless you connect your HDD to a PC to rename the files. Connecting the HDD to another media player also lets you bypass the firmware bug, but it doesn't solve the problem.
post #1820 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have v10.0 no DD 5.1 on playback through unit....
Thanks @mickinct and @lanb !

OK, so HW180 firmware V10.0 still has the DD 5.1 bug. Lanb has V10.1, but I don't know if he has an AVR to test DD 5.1 with.

They probably didn't fix it in V10.1 either, but we don't know for sure yet.
post #1821 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, but you're bypassing the bug in a different way. People want to get DD 5.1 when playing their recordings on the DVR, and you can't. There's nothing wrong with the recordings; the DD 5.1 is still there. These boxes just refuse to play all 6 channels unless you change the extension from .mts to .ts, and you can't do that unless you connect your HDD to a PC to rename the files. Connecting the HDD to another media player also lets you bypass the firmware bug, but it doesn't solve the problem.
I tried mts to ts and tried to see if it would have DD in the 180 nothing but stereo. I also have a v9 180 have not tried that one.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; Yesterday at 02:17 PM.
post #1822 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, so not only did they not fix the bug in the new model, but they broke one of the original workarounds, too? That's not a good sign.
post #1823 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Dd 5.1

Quote:
Thanks @mickinct and @lanb !

OK, so HW180 firmware V10.0 still has the DD 5.1 bug. Lanb has V10.1, but I don't know if he has an AVR to test DD 5.1 with.

They probably didn't fix it in V10.1 either, but we don't know for sure yet.
Yes, the bug is still there in 10.1 and the .ts workaround works as before.
Here are the various results when playing

Live : DD 5.1
Timeshift : DD 5.1
Recorded program with .mts extension : No DD 5.1
Recorded program with .ts extension : DD 5.1 [Note that you have to access the .ts file thru the USB -> Multimedia -> Movies option]
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1824 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Recorded program with .ts extension : DD 5.1 [Note that you have to access the .ts file thru the USB -> Multimedia -> Movies option][/QUOTE] STILL did not work for me.

MickinCT
post #1825 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
Yes, the bug is still there in 10.1 and the .ts workaround works as before.
Here are the various results when playing

Live : DD 5.1
Timeshift : DD 5.1
Recorded program with .mts extension : No DD 5.1
Recorded program with .ts extension : DD 5.1 [Note that you have to access the .ts file thru the USB -> Multimedia -> Movies option]
Well that confirms it. This bug is still in all boxes and all firmware versions.

Not terribly surprising though. To the extent they're working on any bugs at all (which is probably not a very great extent), I'm sure this one isn't at the top of the list.
post #1826 of 1827 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
STILL did not work for me.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Wow, so not only did they not fix the bug in the new model, but they broke one of the original workarounds, too? That's not a good sign.
It does seem like they broke it even worse in HW180 versions 9 and 10.0. From the previous post it seems that in 10.1 they put it back the way it was which is still bad, but at least it's not as bad.
post #1827 of 1827 Unread Today, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The fan seems to be working on the ematic so far...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page