Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

Old 12-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastavin View Post
Hi all. My neighbour asked me to find out what I can about how well this homeworx pvr 150 works as he was going to buy one. they are very reasonably priced. The puzzle though is that the local store is selling boxes labelled with v2.0 firmware.Yet on the support pages I see all sorts of versions from v1 to v13 and maybe more. Whats up with all that? Is the v2.0 an old dog of a clearance special that the store is not owning up to? What is the cleanest most bug free firmware he should hunt around for?

He was all set to buy a channelmaster dvr until he stumbled upon this one. at a price difference of 1/8 to 1/10 the homeworx is hard to ignore if it actually works.
If it's a local store he's buying it from, then it should be easy to return if he doesn't like it (unless it's one of those "all sales are final" deals). So, if it does what he is looking for, then I'd say, why not try it out before making a more expensive purchase. These cheap boxes are not for people who like the bells and whistles and there are some annoying things about them, so it depends on the person and their wants and needs whether it's a good buy. Some people find the price makes up for its shortcomings and some people decide the extra money is worth a better experience.

I don't know what your neighbor's tolerance is for buggy software. If he's the kind of guy that will get pissed if his show doesn't always get recorded, this is not the box to rely on. It works most of the time, but there will be occasions when if the reception is off for a moment, or even for no apparent reason, it may just not record or it may stop recording in the middle. Of course glitches can happen with any electronics but they happen more often on these PVRs than usual. I'm not saying it happens a lot, just that it's not recommended for someone who is going to have their week ruined if the game doesn't record or they miss their favorite show.

There is also no internal clock on the device, so it relies on your stations sending the correct time - hopefully not an issue where you live, but a few of my stations were off by 3 to 18 minutes and I was only able to get one station to fix their clock. You manually set the recording times but if you are recording another show on another channel right before or after, there will be a conflict if the clocks aren't the same. Also, the interface is not modern, and although it's not difficult to use, if he's the kind of person that couldn't (or didn't want to) program a VCR, it's probably not for him.

However, it is a cheap way to record and timeshift OTA TV. Even if he decided after trying it to get a more expensive device, he may want to keep it for a backup or as an additional tuner. If he can get it someplace local with a return policy then I'd say go for it, and then he'll know for sure and won't have to wonder if he overpaid for another device.

Like JHBrandt said, the version numbers are not in chronological order so 13 is not necessarily better or more recent than 2. There are also several different versions of the same box (same model number) that only accept certain firmware. The good news is that most of the firmware on most of the boxes functions the same. It's only the very first firmware of the first box that had some major bugs that were fixed. FW after that didn't have any major fixes, although the latest box and FW did fix the CC playback on recordings if he needs that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
IMHO, jprc did a fine job of describing the 150 PVR. Regarding:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
I don't know what your neighbor's tolerance is for buggy software. If he's the kind of guy that will get pissed if his show doesn't always get recorded, this is not the box to rely on. It works most of the time, but there will be occasions when if the reception is off for a moment, or even for no apparent reason, it may just not record or it may stop recording in the middle....
I found that even very short losses of signal (e.g. plane flying over or lightning in the distance) would cause the PVR to stop when playing the video. In these instances it wasn't that it didn't record but that the PVR thought the recording was thru when the hiccup hit and would stop. If I played the same exact recording on my PC (moved HDD to PC) recording would play past those signal glitches.

dmatch
JHBrandt likes this.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruSR View Post
Cheat! Get yourself a USB 2 Y cable, buy a cheap (6$-ish) 0.5amp AC to USB adapter, plug the spare one onto it, then the data cable (has 2 wires on it) into the Homeworx, should work fine. If you find it doesn't work, keep the bill for the 0.5amp AC to USB and go get a 1A one, that *will* make it fire up because combined you're giving it ~1.25A to play with, if the external drive can't run on that, then you really need to find a replacement for that power hog, but yes, the Homeworx doesn't have great USB power, their port is the typical 250mA that is necessary for standard hub pairs (500mA for the pair).

As for the heat issue, not sure why you're having it, my sister's doesn't seem to heat up that much after an hour of playing off their usb stick, though due to it being plastic, it's possible it's receiving heat transfer from whatever you have above or below it? Is it alone or enclosed in a cabinet?

GuruSR.
Thanks for that info. Actually, I've made the same suggestion for others who have trouble with not enough power to their USB-powered HDDs.

My "vision" for this one was to get everything installed within the box, and to have the fan run only when the HW was on. (It's not loud but does make a little noise.) That's why I tried to power it from the HW's own port.

I suppose the ideal answer would be a powered USB hub, provided the hub's power supply could be safely wired to the 120V input power within the HW's box somehow, and provided it switched power to its USB ports based on whether power was supplied to its input port. Possible, I suppose; but it sounds like a very tight fit.

As for overheating, I've found you can't always tell by feeling the outside of the box. It was only after I opened it up (initially, to try to repair its USB port) that I noticed some components could get pretty hot, and thought a fan might improve things.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Thanks for that info. Actually, I've made the same suggestion for others who have trouble with not enough power to their USB-powered HDDs.

My "vision" for this one was to get everything installed within the box, and to have the fan run only when the HW was on. (It's not loud but does make a little noise.) That's why I tried to power it from the HW's own port.

I suppose the ideal answer would be a powered USB hub, provided the hub's power supply could be safely wired to the 120V input power within the HW's box somehow, and provided it switched power to its USB ports based on whether power was supplied to its input port. Possible, I suppose; but it sounds like a very tight fit.

As for overheating, I've found you can't always tell by feeling the outside of the box. It was only after I opened it up (initially, to try to repair its USB port) that I noticed some components could get pretty hot, and thought a fan might improve things.
Not sure if this will help, as I don't know the internals of the Homeworx, though, try looking at a "heatsink kit" for older PCs, they typically will have small sleeve bearing fans, also small video card replacement fan kits may also be of help. You may have better luck looking at electronic component stores to find items that may be best suited for that unit, although my sister's unit isn't having this issue with heat. I know the USB is a bit of a pain issue, but hers doesn't seem to get hot, I checked it after it was playing a show for an hour, was moderate. Any idea how hot it is getting? Too hot to touch or comfortably warm?

GuruSR.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

A couple of the chips inside were too hot to touch, so I figured a fan was in order. That said, it didn't seem to be malfunctioning in any way aside from the broken USB port (which I was able to fix, albeit with some difficulty).

I should also mention that the internal design of these units has changed several times; this was one of the older Homeworxes with a separate small PCB for the USB port, making it both easier to break and easier to fix This older model also had separate PCBs for the power supply and main board. Newer HWs are built differently, with fewer PCBs. Probably makes them cheaper to build and maybe a bit more reliable; but also harder to repair if they do break and harder to tinker with.

Edit: I just had a (different) Homeworx die. (It would power on, but wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even show the "HomeWorX" splash screen.) It was out of warranty so I took the cover off. Didn't see any obvious problems that I could fix, so it went in the trash; but while I had it apart I noticed that, compared to the older model:

1. The power supply and main board were combined into one single board
  2. The USB port was on the same PCB as the LED, channel switches, and IR remote sensor, not its own PCB as in the older model.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-19-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
IMHO, jprc did a fine job of describing the 150 PVR. Regarding:
I found that even very short losses of signal (e.g. plane flying over or lightning in the distance) would cause the PVR to stop when playing the video. In these instances it wasn't that it didn't record but that the PVR thought the recording was thru when the hiccup hit and would stop. If I played the same exact recording on my PC (moved HDD to PC) recording would play past those signal glitches.

dmatch
I suppose you could also try the "GoTo" button on the remote to skip to a point past the glitch and continue watching the recording.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Correct, sometimes that would work, but sometimes it would just stop like the program had ended. Not very predictable or user friendly.

dmatch
Old 01-20-2016, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

For the first time ever, my HW has found a "radio" station. In DFW, KSTR broadcasts on RF 48. They've long had three video subchannels (49-1, Unimas; 49-2, GetTV; and 49-3, Grit). But they added an audio-only subchannel recently. Oddly, it's not in their channel map, so it's listed under the RF channel (48) instead of KSTR's virtual channel (49), and it has one of the HW's infamous made-up PRnnnnn names.

This confirms that the HW's "radio" channels are indeed used for audio-only subchannels. When I bring up the channel list by pressing OK, the TV channels are listed but if I press Left or Right on the remote, it switches to the Radio channel list (with only that single channel listed).

Instead of a blank screen, the HW shows a pleasant graphic with musical notes and a floating radio icon while listening to the station.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Good to know. So it has absolutely nothing to do with AM/FM. I didn't know that. [I've never seen any stations found in my area.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Old 01-21-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Audio-only channels are rare in the TV bands. I never really understood why, given the low bandwidth requirements. But the only other audio-only channel I've found in the DFW area is 51-8. (Oddly, that one scans in as a "TV" channel, not a "radio" channel, but there's no video; just a black screen.)
Old 01-23-2016, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am having trouble with the Hw 150pvr. I can not get the programs to show up in the program guide or when I flip through the channels as it always says searching. Any advice as to what I need to do?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Unplug (from AC power outlet) wait 20-30 seconds and plug it back in. See if that helps.

dmatch
Old 01-23-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The front-panel power switch also physically disconnects power. (The LED will go dark.) So you can turn it off there instead of unplugging.

If that doesn't work, you can try a factory reset from the menu. Of course you'll have to rescan your channels & reschedule your recordings, so only as a last resort
Old 01-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My unit suddenly stopped working last night. I could hear audio, but no picture. I tried the composite video and found a rolling picture. I immediately suspected that somehow the unit got switched over to PAL, instead of NTSC. With the rolling picture, I could barely make out the menu commands, but somehow managed to switch it over to NTSC, and voilà - it worked!
JHBrandt likes this.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Do these devices have variable playback speed (faster or slower)? I haven't seen a mention of it.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Not really. They do have fast-forward, but that's about it.

It would be a nice firmware enhancement to make the rewind and fast-forward work like other DVRs: if you pause then press RW/FF, it starts playing backward/forward in slow-motion, gradually speeding up each time you press RW/FF again.

But these boxes have been around for years with no significant firmware enhancements (and very few bug fixes), so I'm just dreaming about that.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Philips (Funai) DVR has x1.3 and x0.8 playback, with pitch corrected sound. I use it more often than I probably should. I suppose I could just as well remove the USB drive and play the files back via VLC.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

A nice feature.

A while back, someone reported it was possible to "trick" the HomeWorX (or was it the iView?) into playing audio while fast-forwarding at 2x. The audio was reportedly the correct pitch and not "Donald Duck"-like. But I never could get the trick to work myself.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
A nice feature.

A while back, someone reported it was possible to "trick" the HomeWorX (or was it the iView?) into playing audio while fast-forwarding at 2x. The audio was reportedly the correct pitch and not "Donald Duck"-like. But I never could get the trick to work myself.
I'd love to find out how that was done. 2x is a bit fast for viewing, but interesting.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I'd love to find out how that was done. 2x is a bit fast for viewing, but interesting.
A quick search turned up this post:

post #1509 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM

But I haven't tried it yet.

v/r,
C-F
DoctorM likes this.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Very long post but here's the relevant part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspammer View Post
On two of my units (Homeworx HW-150PVR) that have v14 firmware (HW Version 7816-ATSC-03), I can press the volume up once and the sound will play back at the 2x speed without the chipmunk effect better than when using Windows media player for Windows 7 on .mp4 files. Every time that the unit auto-mutes the sound for 2x speed, you can unmute the sound via the remote control by pressing volume up once (successfully).

I have a third Homeworx HW-150PVR that has v1 firmware (HW Version 7816-1237-ASTC-v2) and this same functionality is missing --why is that so if all these listed firmware configurations are supposedly the "latest."
BTW, I used to have a HomeWorX with v14 firmware. Unfortunately it died recently.

In answer to oldspammer's question, v1 is indeed later than v14; the demod chip used in the oldest HW's stopped being made, which forced a new "generation" of HWs with both a new chip and new firmware. Inexplicably, the firmware developer chose to start firmware version numbers over with V1 again! This also happened with the very similar iView DVRs.

As to why this feature disappeared in the new v1 firmware, I'd conjecture that the developer considered it a "bug" and "fixed" it
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Just received my box today. Two questions.
First, is there a secret to recording/playing back closed captions? I see them live, but I can't get them to come up on playing back.

Second, is there a native resolution output for HDMI or does everyone just set it to 1080p?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just received my box today. Two questions.
First, is there a secret to recording/playing back closed captions? I see them live, but I can't get them to come up on playing back.

Second, is there a native resolution output for HDMI or does everyone just set it to 1080p?

It sounds like you didn't get one of the latest boxes that had the CC playback fixed. If you did, you wouldn't have to do anything special to get it to work. You can use VLC on a computer to play them back with CC, but if you want to get it with the Homeworx, you will need to get one of the newer versions that have the fix. You can look back in the thread a bit to see which versions have the fix - I don't remember off hand anymore.

No there is no native res setting.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Is it possible to download and install the fixed firmware onto an old box, or does it only exist on new units? I don't recall anybody ever posting a link to get an update that fixes the CC.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware version is 4.1. It seems to be the latest dated April 2015.
Is there a hardware version I should check as well?
And to be clear, the captions should work via HDMI, correct?

I also noticed that playing back a recording that the output isn't the raw Dolby even though I set it up that way in the menu.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Is it possible to download and install the fixed firmware onto an old box, or does it only exist on new units? I don't recall anybody ever posting a link to get an update that fixes the CC.
My understanding was that it was only fixed on the new boxes that had their own firmware that was incompatible with the older boxes. However, it has been awhile since I've visited Mediasonic's own forums, so I don't know if there is any news over there that is different than what was posted here. DoctorM or anyone this matters to should check with Mediasonic directly - tell them exactly what your software version is on your box and ask them if there is an update compatible with your box that will fix the issue. I know they used to be pretty good at responding but I haven't checked over there lately like I mentioned.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Firmware version is 4.1. It seems to be the latest dated April 2015.
Is there a hardware version I should check as well?
And to be clear, the captions should work via HDMI, correct?
There is a line in this admin post that makes it seem like 4.1 should include the fix: http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1616
"V4.0, update to V4.1 if you use close caption. (Id you don't use close caption, there is no need to update"

Right under that, you will see an email address. I would email them there and ask for details about how it should and shouldn't work in your version.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if you added the Dolby question later or I just missed it, but there is another bug with that. You can get around it by using your computer to rename the .mts file to a .ts file. You will then be able to reattach the drive to the homeworx and you will find the file under "movies" where it will playback Dolby 5.1.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The DD issue isn't a deal breaker. I'm using it on a 2.0 system, but I would prefer raw audio outputted.
Maybe that'll come in an update.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
There is a line in this admin post that makes it seem like 4.1 should include the fix: http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1616
"V4.0, update to V4.1 if you use close caption. (Id you don't use close caption, there is no need to update"

Right under that, you will see an email address. I would email them there and ask for details about how it should and shouldn't work in your version.
Keep us posted please. I tested CC on playback on my HW, which is older than yours (V2.0, dated Dec 2014) and it does work, so they fixed it awhile ago. But it sounds like they managed to break it again somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here