Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #1921 of 1924 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 496
OMG

I swear I checked this and it worked. I used component video cables, which allow HD but are analog, but that shouldn't matter; the HW inserts the captions directly into the image, which is how digital tuners normally handle closed captions. They aren't passed to the TV for decoding as was done in the NTSC days.

There was a quirk: it worked differently live than on recordings. On live viewing the CC button loops through the various possible CC streams (CC1, CC2, CC3, etc.), while on playback of recordings it was a simple on/off toggle. I don't know how it chooses the CC stream on recordings; it probably just picks CC1.

On firmware versions that don't support this feature, pressing CC during playback of recordings just displays "Invalid," but on mine it toggles between "CC On" and "CC Off."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1924 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Nope. While recording (TimeShift or watching a recording in progress) it cycles through CC1, 2,... but nothing appears.
Playing previously recorded shows 'Invalid'.

I tried a composite cable (might try component later) and even the Line 21 CC didn't show up. I can't understand how they could even be stripping that.

If yours works, I assume it chooses the CC# selected in the menu. Are you saying you're getting it via HDMI or component.

And what version firmware did you say you had that works? I'd like to toss that back at the rep in an email.

I also asked about the Dolby on playback and he said he'd talk to the techs to look into it.

Last edited by DoctorM; Today at 01:08 AM.
post #1923 of 1924 Old Today, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Nope. While recording (TimeShift or watching a recording in progress) it cycles through CC1, 2,... but nothing appears.
Playing previously recorded shows 'Invalid'.
Sounds like they changed it back. In fact they made it worse; it should at least show up while recording. Not sure about time-shifting since you're basically playing back a portion of the recording you made earlier, but IIRC that worked too. (My HW-150 with the oldest FW is at my in-laws' home at the moment, so I can't check it.)

Quote:
If yours works, I assume it chooses the CC# selected in the menu. Are you saying you're getting it via HDMI or component.
Component. I'll have to move it to another room to try HDMI.

Quote:
And what version firmware did you say you had that works? I'd like to toss that back at the rep in an email.
V2.0, dated 27 Dec 2014.

Tonight I'll try to take a few photos.
post #1924 of 1924 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Thanks. I appreciate it. What's weird is neither component nor composite deliver captions. Examining the recordings on my PC it LOOKS like Line 21 CC are being stripped. I wasn't aware that was possible without re-encoding.

I decided to give the Homeworx box a try because of the caption fix, but with that gone I'm going to return it and play wait-and-see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders