Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #2041 of 2469 Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
Yep. The Mediasonic SUCKED compared to my Sammy. The signal was much, much stronger on the TV than it was on the MS. I was having problems with CBS/NBC/FOX etc when I had none on the Sammy.
Yes, it looks like the Mediasonic tuner has some limitation that our Sammys don't. But then Mediasonic never really sold itself as a cable unit, only as OTA. Sorry to hear the tuner strength isn't all that good on your Mediasonic compared to your Sammy. That doesn't seem to be an issue with mine as both bring in signals equally well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2469 Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF8655 View Post
Yes, it looks like the Mediasonic tuner has some limitation that our Sammys don't. But then Mediasonic never really sold itself as a cable unit, only as OTA. Sorry to hear the tuner strength isn't all that good on your Mediasonic compared to your Sammy. That doesn't seem to be an issue with mine as both bring in signals equally well.
Well, mine died so the point is moot It's not picking up ANY channels now.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #2043 of 2469 Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Well, mine died so the point is moot It's not picking up ANY channels now.
That's pretty bad. Did you try to do a reset on the unit? It's in one of the menus options. That should reset the unit back to original settings in case something got clobbered. Also unplug the unit and plug it back in which is like a cold start.

post #2044 of 2469 Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
That's pretty bad. Did you try to do a reset on the unit? It's in one of the menus options. That should reset the unit back to original settings in case something got clobbered. Also unplug the unit and plug it back in which is like a cold start.
I guess you haven't read anything on page 68

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #2045 of 2469 Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I guess you haven't read anything on page 68
No sorry, I haven't. Was just trying to help. I originally came here with my QAM cable question and you mentioned yours died.
post #2046 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, pretty sure it's a clear QAM digital channel as my cable company recently switched over to all digital, and my Samsung was set to scan all digital-only cable channels.

I also thought about trying to manually add it, but darn if I can't find its frequency or RF. My Samsung doesn't display that information and internet searches for my cable provider and that channel yields nothing.

My conclusion is there must be some limitation with the Homeworx tuner. It's only that one channel the Samsung can get but not Homeworx. And it happens to be the only worthwhile channel that merits recording. Maybe it's scrambled and somehow the Samsung is able to unscramble (seems unlikely).
OK. I had to ask. You wouldn't believe how many times folks post complaints like yours and it turns out some of their channels are analog.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the problem is with the firmware, not the tuner. The firmware for these boxes does a pretty poor job on cable. (That's why Mediasonic only supports the HomeWorXes as OTA tuners.)

Next thing to check: when you did the auto-scan, did you hit the 400-channel limit? Often these boxes will scan in all the encrypted channels so they end up hitting that limit. Even after you delete all the encrypted channels you can't add any more, so any clear QAM channels at higher frequencies get skipped. (There is a way around it, if that's what's happening.)
post #2047 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
OK. I had to ask. You wouldn't believe how many times folks post complaints like yours and it turns out some of their channels are analog.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the problem is with the firmware, not the tuner. The firmware for these boxes does a pretty poor job on cable. (That's why Mediasonic only supports the HomeWorXes as OTA tuners.)

Next thing to check: when you did the auto-scan, did you hit the 400-channel limit? Often these boxes will scan in all the encrypted channels so they end up hitting that limit. Even after you delete all the encrypted channels you can't add any more, so any clear QAM channels at higher frequencies get skipped. (There is a way around it, if that's what's happening.)
Also thanks much. These are intriguing possibilities I hadn't thought of. When doing a cable QAM scan, quite a few channels are found and saved with status scrambled or no signal. I'll get a count of those and see if it reached 400.

I went back to OTA in the meantime, scanning and saving those channels. I assume when again switching back to cable and doing a new scan for those channels, the previously saved OTA channels are deleted and not added cumulatively to the newly scanned cable channels.

Also wondering if the iView is considered to do a better job with cable than the Homeworx. Apologies for not reading all the pages on this forum thread where that may have been answered.
post #2048 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, any time you do a full scan it wipes everything out.

Interestingly, it's possible to do a full scan of one kind of channel (say OTA) then switch to the other kind (QAM) and add those channels with manual scans. Then you can switch back and forth: in Air mode you'll see your OTA channel list and in Cable mode you'll see your QAM channel list. (This is easiest if you have an RF switch so you don't have to disconnect & reconnect a coax cable each time.)

The iView and HomeWorX are only superficially different. There is a little more variety with iView firmware but I'm not sure it would help. Some iView firmware versions work like the HomeWorX, find all channels including scrambled ones, and have the same 400-channel limit. Other versions display cable channels by their virtual channel numbers (like OTA channels) but miss most channels. Those versions seem to look for PSIP data, which is the OTA standard but most cable systems use it sparingly if at all.

What firmware version is your HomeWorX on? (Menu / System / Information) I can see if any iView firmware is compatible with it.
post #2049 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, any time you do a full scan it wipes everything out.

Interestingly, it's possible to do a full scan of one kind of channel (say OTA) then switch to the other kind (QAM) and add those channels with manual scans. Then you can switch back and forth: in Air mode you'll see your OTA channel list and in Cable mode you'll see your QAM channel list. (This is easiest if you have an RF switch so you don't have to disconnect & reconnect a coax cable each time.)

The iView and HomeWorX are only superficially different. There is a little more variety with iView firmware but I'm not sure it would help. Some iView firmware versions work like the HomeWorX, find all channels including scrambled ones, and have the same 400-channel limit. Other versions display cable channels by their virtual channel numbers (like OTA channels) but miss most channels. Those versions seem to look for PSIP data, which is the OTA standard but most cable systems use it sparingly if at all.

What firmware version is your HomeWorX on? (Menu / System / Information) I can see if any iView firmware is compatible with it.
Exactly. An RF or coax switch would work well in toggling between air and cable, and planned to do that if that one QAM channel would finally show up on the Homeworx!

But also wondering if you can switch between air and cable, and the unit remembers both scanned lists, isn't that the same as both sets of channels stored cumulatively and adding to the total 400 maximum?

Here are my software levels:
Pre QAM SW flash (original at time of purchase):
SW Version:CL503883 131012 v1
HW Version:7816-1237-ATSC-V2

After QAM SW flash:
SW Version:CL503883 131115 v1
post #2050 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But also wondering if you can switch between air and cable, and the unit remembers both scanned lists, isn't that the same as both sets of channels stored cumulatively and adding to the total 400 maximum?
Yes, the OTA channels would count toward the 400 maximum. Here's the trick to staying under that limit:

1. Connect to your cable system, set the HomeWorX for cable, and do an auto-scan. It will find the first 400 channels on your cable system.
  2. Check all the channels and write down the channel numbers of any unscrambled channels you want to keep.
  3. Write down the highest channel number it found (scrambled or not), except channels 95-99.
  4. Connect to your antenna and run another full scan. This will clear all the cable channels out of memory. You probably won't have more than about 100 OTA channels, so there should be plenty of room now.
  5. Reconnect the cable and manually scan the RF channel numbers (number before the dash) of the channels you wrote down in step 2, to get back the unscrambled cable channels you want. If you don't want any of those channels you can skip this step.
  6. Manually scan the RF channel number (number before the dash) of the highest cable channel that you wrote down in step 3.
  7. Manually scan every RF channel number from that number up to your cable system's top RF channel (probably 125). Skip channels 95-99 though, so if it stopped at channel 73-something you'd manually scan 73, 74, ... 94, then 100, 101, ... 125.

OK, it's slow, cumbersome, and may take you all afternoon. But there's a decent chance you'll find that one cable channel you want in that last step.

Quote:
Here are my software levels:
Pre QAM SW flash (original at time of purchase):
SW Version:CL503883 131012 v1
HW Version:7816-1237-ATSC-V2

After QAM SW flash:
SW Version:CL503883 131115 v1
You're in luck. No need to buy an iView; all you need is an iView remote and iView firmware. The remote is only $10 and you'll probably like it better than the HW-150 remote anyway. It's bigger, has bigger buttons, and has a learning section to control your TV. If you don't, you can just flash back to the HW-150 firmware.

Klaatu58 found that this HW-150 model is compatible with iView firmware versions V1, V2A, and V3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu58 View Post
Just flashed iView firmware V3 onto HW V1 firmware box and iView remote works fine.... Now when turned on, the box shows "iView" rather than HomeWorx. Man, that was too easy. Didn't even have to reset to factory defaults after the flash or rescan channels. Only had to re-enter time zone and language settings; all others transferred including timer data.

Am using HDMI so can't comment on HW's outputs (especially the analog audio outputs) operating, though.

Also nice about the iView remote is that it uses AA rather than HW remote's AAA batteries.
Just make sure you have an iView remote (and batteries) before trying any iView firmware. One minor incompatibility is that the iView firmware disables the channel buttons on the HW-150 front panel, so if you update the firmware without the remote, you'll be stuck on one channel, and without the remote you can't even go back!

You'll probably find iView's V1 firmware works pretty much like your current firmware (except for the remote), but V2A and V3 should skip all those scrambled channels so you don't hit 400 before they're done scanning. Unfortunately they may not find the channel you're searching for either, but it's worth a try!
post #2051 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Excellent information shared, thanks again. Will try the procedure to grab that one QAM channel by keeping under 400 total scanned and saved. A little time consuming but worth the attempt, I agree.

And also for the iView remote and firmware upgrade and improvements. The Homeworx remote was pretty clunky so this sounds like a good step forward. Maybe the iView firmware might also solve the glitch in catching that QAM channel.
post #2052 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 04:34 PM

Update: The missing QAM channel still not found. Then did a full cable auto scan. I noticed Homeworx scanned up to a maximum frequency of 861mhz (channel 135). A total of 48 channels were found (mostly combination of scrambled or no service) with about 6 useable. But not the missing channel the Samsung can get.

My guess is Samsung can scan higher than 861mhz and the cable company is also putting that channel out at a higher frequency.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2053 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replace Digital tuner in TV?

A friend broke of the antenna stud off the back of his HD TV. If hooked to antenna and to TV with HDMI cable will it pass the full HD signal?
post #2054 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update: The missing QAM channel still not found. Then did a full cable auto scan. I noticed Homeworx scanned up to a maximum frequency of 861mhz (channel 135). A total of 48 channels were found (mostly combination of scrambled or no service) with about 6 useable. But not the missing channel the Samsung can get.

My guess is Samsung can scan higher than 861mhz and the cable company is also putting that channel out at a higher frequency.
Thanks; that's useful info. Believe it or not, no one else has posted the top cable frequency the HomeWorX (and presumably iView, etc.) can tune, AFAIK.

In OTA mode it scans up to channel 69, which is near the frequency of cable channel 125. But I had no idea if it would go further, or how far.

You may be right that your cable system goes even higher than channel 135. It's hard to know since your TV doesn't tell you. If you get an iView remote, you might try rescanning with iView firmware anyway. Can't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilli201 View Post
A friend broke of the antenna stud off the back of his HD TV. If hooked to antenna and to TV with HDMI cable will it pass the full HD signal?
Yes. Supports up to 1080p (OTA stations max out at 1080i though). If audio is set to "RAW" it will pass full Dolby Digital 5.1 audio as well.
post #2055 of 2469 Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks; that's useful info. Believe it or not, no one else has posted the top cable frequency the HomeWorX (and presumably iView, etc.) can tune, AFAIK.

In OTA mode it scans up to channel 69, which is near the frequency of cable channel 125. But I had no idea if it would go further, or how far.

You may be right that your cable system goes even higher than channel 135. It's hard to know since your TV doesn't tell you. If you get an iView remote, you might try rescanning with iView firmware anyway. Can't hurt.
Yes, thanks very much again. I now have in my back pocket knowledge about the cable side of the unit and manually adding channels there as well as the channel number limit.

The next step is that iView firmware update and see what that might do in issue resolution. At least that remote should be very nice and an improvement!

Quickie update: per Wiki, it looks like North American cable companies can legally utilize frequencies up to a maximim of 999mhz (channel 158) for QAM (Jumboband frequency section). My guess is this is where that channel is hiding (somewhere between 136 and 158), and a range limitation of the Homeworx tuner or firmware.

Last edited by RF8655; 03-24-2016 at 08:46 PM.
post #2056 of 2469 Old 03-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Major bonehead move here. It was late the other night, I hadn't used this unit for quite a while. Quickly browsed some of the latest posts about firmware & saw a posting about v10. Checked my box and it had V3.
Without reading any further & checking my HW version - I installed V10. Now it turns on but nothing on the screen. No output via HDMI, Comp or Component. What now? Thanks?
post #2057 of 2469 Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Was your box very old (mid 2013)? That was the version that needed the update to V10.

What might have happened is, you might have a box like the one Larryintx has:
S/N on back: HW-150PVR141015750V3 (Purchased from Amazon 12/28/14)
SW Version: NOV 18 2014 16:44:14
HW Version MLG7802-ATSC-V3

That's very confusing. There is no SW version listed - just a date. (I call this version "1.9" because it came out right before V2.0.) But the HW version says V3. I could see getting mixed up and thinking it was one of the old boxes with V3 firmware.

If that's what happened the box is probably ruined (sorry). These late 2014 boxes had a 7802 SoC, but the V10 firmware was meant for a 7816 SoC. So I don't think the new firmware will run at all.

You would think the firmware would check the update file to make sure it was for the same chip, but it just validates that it hasn't been altered and blindly installs it.

BTW, where did you get V10? The link on post 1 doesn't work anymore.
post #2058 of 2469 Old 03-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Was your box very old (mid 2013)? That was the version that needed the update to V10.
What might have happened is, you might have a box like the one Larryintx has:
S/N on back: HW-150PVR141015750V3 (Purchased from Amazon 12/28/14)
SW Version: NOV 18 2014 16:44:14
HW Version MLG7802-ATSC-V3
That's very confusing. There is no SW version listed - just a date. (I call this version "1.9" because it came out right before V2.0.) But the HW version says V3. I could see getting mixed up and thinking it was one of the old boxes with V3 firmware.
If that's what happened the box is probably ruined (sorry). These late 2014 boxes had a 7802 SoC, but the V10 firmware was meant for a 7816 SoC. So I don't think the new firmware will run at all.
You would think the firmware would check the update file to make sure it was for the same chip, but it just validates that it hasn't been altered and blindly installs it.
BTW, where did you get V10? The link on post 1 doesn't work anymore.
Yes, I'm used to updating firmware that checks if it's proper beforehand. I think I got the V10 from this post:
Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion

Purchased in 2015.
post #2059 of 2469 Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Before I look into buying a new one, Do these units support embedded chapters in MKV or MP4? My files are h.264 with ac3 5.1.
Thanks.
post #2060 of 2469 Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it was bought in 2015, it very well could have been one of the 7802 units that had the misleading "V3" HW version label. Especially if it had been sitting in inventory for a few months.

I don't think the HomeWorx and similar boxes support chapters. They do support those formats and codecs, but I think the skip forward/backward buttons just move to the next/previous file in the directory, not to the next/previous chapter in the file.

But I haven't actually tried a file with chapters, so I could be wrong. It's even possible that chapters only work on certain firmware versions, much like closed captions during playback.
post #2061 of 2469 Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My HW180STB has v11.0, the date is Jan 21 2016. HW Version MLG7802-ATSC-V11

Purchased March 2016 from Amazon.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #2062 of 2469 Old 03-31-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's a new version. The last HW-180 version I was aware of was 10.1.

Interesting that the HW-180 is a 7802-based box. So far, all the 7802 firmware I've been able to test* supports the CC key when playing back a recording. Does the CC key work during playback on your HW-180 too? It did not work on V10.1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
I have the 180STB with firmware version 10.1 (latest I believe) and the CC does not work on playback. Get an "invalid" message.

*HW-150 V2.0 and V2.1, and iView V5.0 for both the 3200STB and 3500STBII.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #2063 of 2469 Old 03-31-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1907 View Post
I just bought a new Iview from amazon last week green display sw 2015 1022V5.0
along with the mentioned problems with booking a recording. I have found files recorded on the new unit will not not play on my other boxes red display no 3/4 sw or red display with 3/4 switch. looking at the new files there is a new file labeled meta also dates are wack.

Code:
  WXIX-DT-03012016-0951.mts                      65,534 KB       1/1/1980 12:02 AM
  WXIX-DT-03012016-0951.mts.meta                      6 KB       1/1/1980 12:02 AM
I just discovered my HomeWorX HW-150 with V2.1 firmware creates the same strange ".meta" file.

The thing these boxes have in common is that they're both based on the 7802 chip. Other HomeWorXes and iViews are based on the 7816 chip. Apparently the 7802 firmware writes the .mts file in a different format that's incompatible with the format used by 7816 firmware.

Since the HW-180 is a 7802-based box, this may also explain the reported inability to play back HW-150 recordings on an HW-180. It may actually be a more fundamental incompatibility between 7802 and 7816 firmware.

I need to look at this more closely.
post #2064 of 2469 Old 04-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's a new version. The last HW-180 version I was aware of was 10.1.

Interesting that the HW-180 is a 7802-based box. So far, all the 7802 firmware I've been able to test* supports the CC key when playing back a recording. Does the CC key work during playback on your HW-180 too? It did not work on V10.1:

*HW-150 V2.0 and V2.1, and iView V5.0 for both the 3200STB and 3500STBII.
Yes, the cc appears to work normally...I don't normally use it though.

post #2065 of 2469 Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't either, but it's important for some, so it's good to hear that it now works on the HW-180s.
post #2066 of 2469 Old 04-01-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Okay, let me be sure I understand.
*The current HW180STB works with CC (using v11.0 firmware)?
*The 180's only difference from the 150 is losing component video (even though Amazon says it's there) and a better looking remote design?

There must be a downside. What am I missing?
post #2067 of 2469 Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HW-180 downsides:
  • No component video. (If Amazon says otherwise they're wrong. Look at their own photo of the back panel. HDMI, composite, and RF outputs only.)
  • No coaxial digital audio
  • No RF "loop-through" (but no big deal; just use an RF splitter if you need that function)
  • Currently runs about $2 more at Amazon (clearly no big deal but I wanted to be complete )

Upsides:
  • 7802-based unit reportedly supports CC during playback with V11.0 firmware (but not earlier versions)
  • Somewhat better remote

Other differences:
  • HW-180 USB port is in back. HW-150 USB port is in front.
  • Recordings made with one reportedly incompatible with the other.

Unknown:
  • Does V11.0 have the scheduling bug? Firmware for the 7802-based iViews (V5.0) does, but firmware for the 7802-based HW-150 (V2.x) didn't

As you may recall, on my last purchase I went with the iView 3200STB instead of either HomeWorX. Compared to the HW-180 it's smaller, cheaper (I paid $31), and retains the coaxial digital audio output. However it's firmware has the scheduling bug. I sacrificed its better remote for a fix by reflashing with HW-150 V2.1 firmware, but of course I had to have an HW-150 remote on hand to do that.
DoctorM likes this.
post #2068 of 2469 Old 04-02-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seriously considering taking a flyer on the HW180. The scheduling bug was for programs that span midnight, wasn't it?

Edit: Derp, no it was selecting from the EPG the time/channel info wasn't copied.
post #2069 of 2469 Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Re: the HW-180

CC definitely works on recorded programs...I'm watching it now. I am OTA only...

I've recorded past/across midnight for Late Night with Steve Colbert, with no issues, so I haven't found any "midnight bug".

When I began, I had an 8 GB Sandisk memory stick, which other than being too small, worked without problems. I tried a 128 GB memory stick but got stuttering....I'm now using a 1 TB Toshiba drive and all is good. It is set up for a grab bag of public affairs shows and news on mostly PBS subchannels, and so far, has recorded all correctly.

The only change I'd make is "daily" meaning "except weekends", but for $40 I'm not going to expect my Tivo.....
JHBrandt and DoctorM like this.

Last edited by speedlaw; 04-04-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: derp
post #2070 of 2469 Old 04-04-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
Re: the HW-180

CC definitely works on recorded programs...I'm watching it now. I am OTA only...

I've recorded past/across midnight for Late Night with Steve Colbert, with no issues, so I haven't found any "midnight bug".

When I began, I had an 8 GB Sandisk memory stick, which other than being too small, worked without problems. I tried a 128 GB memory stick but got stuttering....I'm now using a 1 TB Toshiba drive and all is good. It is set up for a grab bag of public affairs shows and news on mostly PBS subchannels, and so far, has recorded all correctly.

The only change I'd make is "daily" meaning "except weekends", but for $40 I'm not going to expect my Tivo.....
The programming bug was if you find a program to record using the EPG and select it, you would go to the timer page, but nothing would be filled in (copied from the EPG).
You'd have to manually set the times and channel.

Didn't want a 180, but it seems pretty attractive now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page