post #181 of 1394 Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Can anyone answer these please: Is the HW-150PVR still unable to get the EPG from QAM channels? And if so, why? Couldn't you manually set it to record TV, and simply use an STB's EPG to get show info?

Can you record basic cable channels to it, like a VCR would?

I notice on the Iview page it says "NO analog (NTSC) capability". Is this 150PVR the same way?

I'm looking for something to replace a VCR on an old TV.

Thanks.

How old is the TV? Does it have A/V inputs? As for "getting" EPG, there is tvguide.com, titantv.com, zap2it.com and others. Do you need HD? Do you have TWC, Comcast or Cox? Baton Rouge doesn't have much clear QAM and unlikely to have PSIP data.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1394 Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
JHBrandt, Aleron, and Joe, thanks for the replies. Here are some things:

The TV is just a basic CRT without any inputs.

I have Cox cable. There's an STB on the TV so that it can receive the EPG info and premium channels.

Cox broadcasts in both digital and analog. The previous STB I had on the TV was a combo A/D output via RF believe it or not. Just with the RF-out on the STB connected to the TV, you were able to "receive" the HD channels and when using the higher HD channel #! In other words, for example, you could watch ch 47 (SD) AND channel 1047 (HD). The STB was always bypassed when watching or recording basic cable so one channel could be watched when recording another, and because STB's are just to slow to work. That STB had a useful RF bypass on it. (That box went bad and the replacement sucks, no more RF bypass and you can no longer tune to the higher 1xxx channel versions for the HD broadcasts. This really sucks for FOX because their SD output [ch 6] is jacked and unwatchable. The only way FOX looks right is on an HDTV [ch 1006]).

So any old TV can receive Cox's basic cable lineup without the need for any STB. I don't know what that tells you about their QAM. Also of course, any old TV can receive ALL of their channels with the use of the STB, but they will of course be SD on an old TV.

Obviously, I use the STB for program info (EPG), (and also of course when needed to watch a premium channel).

If something on basic cable needs to be recorded on that setup, then the VCR is simply programmed/timed to record those respective channel #'s. If it's something on premium cable, then the VCR is programmed to record the AV input (since both the RF and composite outputs on the STB are used. Its RF-out goes to the TV and the AV composite out goes the AV input on the VCR). And a "timed recording" is set on the STB.

So, simply put, can this Homeworx device replace this VCR? If not, is there something that can?

Thanks guys.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #183 of 1394 Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone? ;-)

God Bless,
-Clint
post #184 of 1394 Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Now that Homeworx has pulled support for the QAM firmware, it's safe to say that no matter what kind of cable service you have, the Homeworx won't work with it, unless you use the unsupported QAM firmware. Even if you do get unencrypted QAM and use the unsupported firmware, your DVR still won't have a clock, so it will be impossible for you to make timed recordings, thus making the DVR pretty useless. This DVR is designed for OTA, not cable. It's almost guaranteed that it won't be of much use to you.
Clint S. likes this.
post #185 of 1394 Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow that really blows. Thanks for the info. The Homeworx doesn't have a clock one can simply manually set?

I'll look at the DPH-1000R, price is comparatively ridiculous though. Amazon reviews on it don't look that great with more neg than pos.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #186 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither the Homeworx nor the iView let you set their clocks manually. Their clocks can only be set through PSIP, which means even if you're OTA and have PSIP, you're at the mercy of your stations' engineers and must hope that they have their clocks set correctly. If they don't, then you still can't make timed recordings properly, which is why I don't consider either the Homeworx or the iView to be serious contenders in the DVR market. Having a reliable clock is crucial for a time-based DVR, and relying on stations' frequently bogus times is unacceptable.
Clint S. likes this.
post #187 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

JHBrandt, Aleron, and Joe, thanks for the replies. Here are some things:

The TV is just a basic CRT without any inputs.

I have Cox cable. There's an STB on the TV so that it can receive the EPG info and premium channels.

Cox broadcasts in both digital and analog. The previous STB I had on the TV was a combo A/D output via RF believe it or not. Just with the RF-out on the STB connected to the TV, you were able to "receive" the HD channels and when using the higher HD channel #! In other words, for example, you could watch ch 47 (SD) AND channel 1047 (HD). The STB was always bypassed when watching or recording basic cable so one channel could be watched when recording another, and because STB's are just to slow to work. That STB had a useful RF bypass on it. (That box went bad and the replacement sucks, no more RF bypass and you can no longer tune to the higher 1xxx channel versions for the HD broadcasts. This really sucks for FOX because their SD output [ch 6] is jacked and unwatchable. The only way FOX looks right is on an HDTV [ch 1006]).

So any old TV can receive Cox's basic cable lineup without the need for any STB. I don't know what that tells you about their QAM. Also of course, any old TV can receive ALL of their channels with the use of the STB, but they will of course be SD on an old TV.

Obviously, I use the STB for program info (EPG), (and also of course when needed to watch a premium channel).

If something on basic cable needs to be recorded on that setup, then the VCR is simply programmed/timed to record those respective channel #'s. If it's something on premium cable, then the VCR is programmed to record the AV input (since both the RF and composite outputs on the STB are used. Its RF-out goes to the TV and the AV composite out goes the AV input on the VCR). And a "timed recording" is set on the STB.

So, simply put, can this Homeworx device replace this VCR? If not, is there something that can?

Thanks guys.
It does tell me Cox is using clear (unscrambled) QAM. That's how your TV can receive HD channels without the STB. So can the Homeworx (with the unsupported QAM firmware), the iView, and many other devices.

The only problem with the Homeworx (and probably the iView) is that it gets its clock from PSIP, unlike a VCR, which has a built-in clock. So the Homeworx will receive your QAM channels, and like your Cox STB it can be set to pass RF through. It'll even record if you press "REC." But if you don't have PSIP, it doesn't have a clock, so it can't start or stop a recording at a preset time.

Most other DVRs have their own built-in clocks, so they don't have this limitation. Here are the ones I know about: Magnavox 515H and 2160A, BriteView BV-980H, Entone 458, Digital Stream DPH1000R, TViX 6620, ePVision PHD-VRX, and of course TiVo (I understand TiVo requires a CableCARD even though you have clear QAM, though). They vary greatly in features (and price); for instance, the Magnavox models only record in SD, but since you're currently using a VCR that may be fine. Like the Homeworx, the BriteView and Digital Stream can only record one show at a time, while the others can record two shows at once (some TiVo models can record even more) - but only the Digital Stream can record your analog stations, so if you want to replace your VCR, that may be the best choice for you. You may find this comparison chart helpful in deciding which one best fits your needs.

I should also point out that of these, only the TiVo has an EPG that doesn't depend on PSIP. So you'll still have to use your STB to figure out when a program is on, then manually set the DVR to record it at the appropriate time.
Clint S. likes this.
post #188 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Neither the Homeworx nor the iView let you set their clocks manually. Their clocks can only be set through PSIP, which means even if you're OTA and have PSIP, you're at the mercy of your stations' engineers and must hope that they have their clocks set correctly. If they don't, then you still can't make timed recordings properly, which is why I don't consider either the Homeworx or the iView to be serious contenders in the DVR market. Having a reliable clock is crucial for a time-based DVR, and relying on stations' frequently bogus times is unacceptable.

My experience has been that for full-power stations PSIP time is generally reliable, but for low-power stations it can be a problem. LP stations generally broadcast only a minimal PSIP with the channel map, time (which may be wrong), and maybe a "generic" EPG that says nothing but "TBA" over and over. So for those stations I have to look up the schedule elsewhere, find out when the show is on, and if they're broadcasting an inaccurate PSIP time, I have to "adjust" my recording time accordingly rolleyes.gif

But then I run into another problem: the Homeworx's tuner isn't terribly sensitive, so the recording will have numerous errors and generally suck anyway. So I usually make my LPTV recordings on WMC, and only use the Homeworx to record full-power stations.
post #189 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
- but only the Digital Stream can record your analog stations, so if you want to replace your VCR, that may be the best choice for you..

The Magnavox HDD DVDRs can record analog cable. Current models are the 53x Series (533, 535, 537).

post #190 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

It does tell me Cox is using clear (unscrambled) QAM. That's how your TV can receive HD channels without the STB.....

How can you be sure? The poster said "the TV is just a basic CRT without any inputs". This likely means an old analog TV is picking up analog channels direct from the Cable line with no STB, as the poster indicated. The Homeworx and the iView are digital only, and won't tune the analog signal. Seems to me the poster really needs to beg/borrow/steal a digital TV with a QAM tuner to see what is actually unencrypted on the digital portion of his Cable service.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #191 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My experience has been that for full-power stations PSIP time is generally reliable, but for low-power stations it can be a problem.

It may be true that most major stations do send the correct time, but I am not willing to put the safety of my recordings at the mercy of those stations, especially when the ability to set a clock manually has been around for decades. Neglecting to include the ability to set the clock is inexcusable as a matter of principle, as far as I'm concerned. Even being a few minutes off can cause you to miss the beginning or ending of a program, which can ruin the viewing experience.
post #192 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Aleron: (post 186) Thanks for the reply and info.
Quote:

Here are the ones I know about: Magnavox 515H and 2160A, BriteView BV-980H, Entone 458, Digital Stream DPH1000R, TViX 6620, ePVision PHD-VRX, ......
I looked into the DPH1000R and it won't work because I saw where it doesn't have a viewable watchable FF or RW! Are they all like that?

Quote:
You may find this comparison chart helpful in deciding which one best fits your needs.
Thanks.

Quote:
and of course TiVo (I understand TiVo requires a CableCARD even though you have clear QAM, though). They vary greatly in features (and price); for instance, the Magnavox models only record in SD, but since you're currently using a VCR that may be fine. Like the Homeworx, the BriteView and Digital Stream can only record one show at a time, while the others can record two shows at once (some TiVo models can record even more) - but only the Digital Stream can record your analog stations, so if you want to replace your VCR, that may be the best choice for you.
Here's where I'm a bit lost......I mentioned that Cox broadcasts in both analog and digital, so I would not need something that can record analog, right? As long as it has an analog output, correct? And for this particular room in question; yes, SD would be fine as long as it's 16:9 format.

I fail to understand why still no one makes a "VCR replacement", a device that works exactly and precisely like a VCR, with a tuner and clock/timer/programmable, except, will record HD and does not use tape but uses some kind of SSD (SD flash card, USB drive, or whatever) or hard drive and does not cost a monthly fee! Why does such a thing not exist? A conspiracy of cable companies and "TiVo-like" places that force people into paying monthly fees???

Quote:
I should also point out that of these, only the TiVo has an EPG that doesn't depend on PSIP. So you'll still have to use your STB to figure out when a program is on, then manually set the DVR to record it at the appropriate time.
That's not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:

It does tell me Cox is using clear (unscrambled) QAM. That's how your TV can receive HD channels without the STB.....

How can you be sure? The poster said "the TV is just a basic CRT without any inputs". This likely means an old analog TV is picking up analog channels direct from the Cable line with no STB, as the poster indicated. The Homeworx and the iView are digital only, and won't tune the analog signal. Seems to me the poster really needs to beg/borrow/steal a digital TV with a QAM tuner to see what is actually unencrypted on the digital portion of his Cable service.
"This likely means an old analog TV is picking up analog channels direct from the Cable line with no STB, as the poster indicated", Yes, correct. And also does it when the STB is connected. However, like I said, Cox outputs both analog and digital at the same time. And yes, (I have HDTV's in other rooms of the house), and they can pickup both analog and digital (and HD*) channels without an STB. (*Of course the only HD channels without the STB are local). The only encrypted or scrambled channels are "premium cable" which (here) is above channel 99. Those channels can be received with ANY (cable-input) TV. If you want HD, then obviously you need an HDTV and can then only pickup local/major network HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, etc.) which are in the 700's numerically. If want all of the cable channels in HD then you must use the STB (and then, not all are available in HD).

To close, again: What I have been trying to find is simply a "VCR replacement", a device that works exactly and precisely like a VCR, with a tuner and clock/timer/programmable, except, will record HD (from basic cable OR an STB) and does not use tapes but uses some kind of SSD (SD flash card, USB drive, or whatever), or hard drive, and does not cost a monthly fee!

Thanks guys.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #193 of 1394 Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked into the DPH1000R and it won't work because I saw where it doesn't have a viewable watchable FF or RW! Are they all like that?

If you mean that when fast-forwarding you can't see the video as it goes by, then yes. Playing the video faster than realtime, e.g. at 2x, requires the hardware to decode the video at double the normal speed. Most DVRs are capable of doing this, but they would be much more expensive to manufacture if they were fast enough to decode video at 32x speed. Since that is impractical, they will instead show you keyframes as they move through the video. It's worth noting, though, that fast-forwarding isn't the best method to skip commercials on a DVR, anyway. Most DVRs have a skip function which lets you jump a certain number of seconds (often 30) forward instantly, without having to watch anything during that time. You can therefore skip over entire commercial breaks with a few button presses and miss the spam entirely.
Quote:

I fail to understand why still no one makes a "VCR replacement", a device that works exactly and precisely like a VCR, with a tuner and clock/timer/programmable, except, will record HD and does not use tape but uses some kind of SSD (SD flash card, USB drive, or whatever) or hard drive and does not cost a monthly fee! Why does such a thing not exist? A conspiracy of cable companies and "TiVo-like" places that force people into paying monthly fees???

You asked and answered your own question. TiVo has patents on most DVR features and sues any company which tries to copy them. Furthermore, TiVo has trained American viewers to expect name-based recording, so they never have to check the TV guide to know when a program is on: the DVR reads the guide for them and records shows automatically, i.e. you're paying TiVo to read the TV guide for you. People who follow dozens of shows find this feature useful, but people who don't watch that much TV find it less so. Of course, since TiVo can do whatever it wants with its products, it forbids you to use the hardware without a valid subscription to the service.

As for TiVo alternatives, they do exist. Your options for QAM are the TViX 6620 and the PHD-VRX, but be aware that your cable company could choose to encrypt your basic channels at any time, thus making your DVR useless. Once your channels are encrypted, your only options are to dump cable and go OTA or to use TiVo or an HTPC, so you can connect a CableCard to your DVR to decrypt the encrypted channels.

Quote:

To close, again: What I have been trying to find is simply a "VCR replacement", a device that works exactly and precisely like a VCR, with a tuner and clock/timer/programmable, except, will record HD (from basic cable OR an STB) and does not use tapes but uses some kind of SSD (SD flash card, USB drive, or whatever), or hard drive, and does not cost a monthly fee!

I still don't fully understand your setup. Why do you have an STB if you can connect the cable directly to your TV and decode the QAM channels? Is the STB solely to provide you with analogue cable for your old TVs that don't have digital tuners? STBs are usually used to decode encrypted cable channels, and it doesn't sound like those channels are included in your package.

If the channels you want to record are unencrypted QAM, you don't need the STB for the DVR; it can record digital cable on its own. If your channels are encrypted and require the STB to be connected to your TV to even watch them, then you need a CableCard-enabled DVR, which gives you a choice between TiVo, your cable company's DVR, and building an HTPC with Windows Media Center.
Clint S. likes this.
post #194 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still don't fully understand your setup. Why do you have an STB if you can connect the cable directly to your TV and decode the QAM channels? Is the STB solely to provide you with analogue cable for your old TVs that don't have digital tuners? STBs are usually used to decode encrypted cable channels, and it doesn't sound like those channels are included in your package.
Thanks for replying. confused.gif I covered all that in my 2nd-to-last paragraph above. wink.gif (Not including the 'thanks' line). The STB only needs to be used for premium channels (above 99, and HD of all other channels).

Quote:
If the channels you want to record are unencrypted QAM, you don't need the STB for the DVR; it can record digital cable on its own. If your channels are encrypted and require the STB to be connected to your TV to even watch them, then you need a CableCard-enabled DVR, ................
(Bold ^ ) I don't understand why, since now I record premium digital-only channels with the VCR; the STB's output (either RF or composite) goes to the VCR (when needed to record premium cable). Therefore any premium channel can be recorded. So why can it with a DVR? The STB from Cox is the "cable card" so-to-speak.

("...Are they all like that?")
Quote:
If you mean that when fast-forwarding you can't see the video as it goes by, then yes.
Well that's a total deal-breaker. mad.gif How the hell do they expect you to find a specific area when it's skipping loads of frames??

Quote:
Playing the video faster than realtime, e.g. at 2x, requires the hardware to decode the video at double the normal speed. Most DVRs are capable of doing this, but they would be much more expensive to manufacture if they were fast enough to decode video at 32x speed. Since that is impractical, they will instead show you keyframes as they move through the video.
So even at 2x or 4x they are still skipping frames?

Quote:
It's worth noting, though, that fast-forwarding isn't the best method to skip commercials on a DVR, anyway. Most DVRs have a skip function which lets you jump a certain number of seconds (often 30) forward instantly, without having to watch anything during that time. You can therefore skip over entire commercial breaks with a few button presses and miss the spam entirely.
Yeah, the VCR is a pretty high-end unit and it has "Commercial skip" and even "Instant Reply", but with that you're still able to see everything just as in FF or RW. But as far as actually skipping commercials in 20-30 sec jumps or blocks, it's Ok to miss a lot or maybe even totally not see anything. However, (can't believe I'm saying this) there are commercials that are of some use, such as new upcoming TV show or schedule changes info that's not good to miss, and it sounds like they would be missed using commercial skip.

Before you mentioned it, I was looking at the PHD-VRX from that link JH posted and it looks like it has the best features. But it does not have any kind of an output that would work with an old TV. No RF. So one would have to use an RF modulator with it to get it to work with an old TV (that's assuming one of the outputs like RCA/composite could be converted to RF).

I also see conflicting info on the PHD-VRX; on its page here at the forum, I see:

"One note, though this does have analog enabled in one tuner, but there is no encoder included, so those stations cannot be recorded, which partially defeats the CATV function."

Yet on its webpage and in the manual, I see the opposite (respectively):

Note the bold:
  • Dual physical tuners built-in provide flexibilities of watching TV, recording shows or timeshifting current program in any combinations!
  • Variety of recording methods on each tuner including Electronic Program Guide (EPG) schedule recording, Manual timer recording and Recording current show

And in the manual (last page):
"To record TV shows from both tuners
No matter which recording methods you are using, you can record two shows from two tuners at the same time
"

Also see the top of page 42 in the manual. (It won't allow copy and paste and I'm not going to type all that again). http://www.nsccom.com/productpdfs/primedtv/PHD-VRX_Manual_v1.02.pdf

confused.gif So which is true? Will it record cable TV or will it not?

Thank you again for your input. wink.gif

God Bless,
-Clint
post #195 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Before you mentioned it, I was looking at the PHD-VRX from that link JH posted and it looks like it has the best features. But it does not have any kind of an output that would work with an old TV. No RF. So one would have to use an RF modulator with it to get it to work with an old TV (that's assuming one of the outputs like RCA/composite could be converted to RF).
Now that I think about it, if need be, the composite output from the PHD-VRX could always be connected to an input on the VCR then the RF out from it feed to the TV. That is essentially an "RF modulator".

God Bless,
-Clint
post #196 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that I think about it, if need be, the composite output from the PHD-VRX could always be connected to an input on the VCR then the RF out from it feed to the TV. That is essentially an "RF modulator".
I have several old VCRs that I've used as analog tuners and/or RF modulators. Keep in mind, though, that the PHD-VRX will record the clear QAM (local HD) channels but not the analog channels. It will tune both, but you'd still have to use your VCR to record the analog ones. The Magnavox mentioned by Wajo might be a simpler and easier to use "one-box" solution.

Quote:

It may be true that most major stations do send the correct time, but I am not willing to put the safety of my recordings at the mercy of those stations, especially when the ability to set a clock manually has been around for decades. Neglecting to include the ability to set the clock is inexcusable as a matter of principle, as far as I'm concerned. Even being a few minutes off can cause you to miss the beginning or ending of a program, which can ruin the viewing experience.
I don't disagree. It's mostly a matter of experience with a particular station, how important your recordings are to you, and how worried you are about something going wrong. (In theory, even if the PSIP time is wrong, it should still match the time the station will start the broadcast, so setting a recording from the EPG should be safe unless the PSIP time changes between when the recording was scheduled and when the show is broadcast.)

I learned long ago to always pad my recordings, because even a PC clock synced to time.nist.gov can differ from the time the station starts the show by a minute or two. And I record everything important on both the PC and another device; if something goes wrong with one, the other will back it up. The Homeworx makes an acceptable (and for me, cheap because I already had a HDD and external USB enclosure lying around) backup recorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Quote:

... but only the Digital Stream can record your analog stations, so if you want to replace your VCR, that may be the best choice for you..

The Magnavox HDD DVDRs can record analog cable. Current models are the 53x Series (533, 535, 537).
Thanks. The Magnavox isn't in the comparison chart since it only records in SD, and I didn't know for sure if it would record analog. But since he eliminated the Digital Stream, the Magnavox might be the perfect choice for Clint. Apparently it will record both his analog and clear QAM channels, and even though it'll record the HD channels in SD, it reportedly does a good job of up-converting the recordings during playback.
post #197 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Thread Ender

Clint.... If you decide that you want the Magnavox, I have one in absolutely pristine condition that I'm sure we can make a deal on. It's only seen about 24 hours of use, I bought it for one specific project that has now long passed. I'm in Covington, so not far from you.

They consider THIS
post #198 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand why, since now I record premium digital-only channels with the VCR; the STB's output (either RF or composite) goes to the VCR (when needed to record premium cable). Therefore any premium channel can be recorded. So why can it with a DVR? The STB from Cox is the "cable card" so-to-speak.

Most DVRs don't have analogue tuners, that's why. Most DVRs record DTV only, because they would need extra hardware to perform A-D conversion to record NTSC sources. Including that hardware would make DVRs more expensive for a feature that most people don't need, so it isn't included. If you want to record analogue sources, a capture card and HTPC are required, unless you get a DVD recorder, since many of them have analogue inputs to let you digitise VHS tapes. DVD recorders won't let you preserve the HD quality, though.
Quote:

How the hell do they expect you to find a specific area when it's skipping loads of frames??

Most DVRs let you fast-forward at 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x. Pick the speed that you find works best. Using 32x is far faster than you can go with a VCR. Good DVRs also let you configure the jump durations. I find 45s forward and 15s backward to be good values, as many commercial breaks are a multiple of 15 and 45 seconds.
Quote:

So even at 2x or 4x they are still skipping frames?

Mine doesn't skip frames at 2x, but it does at 4x, 8x, 16x, and 32x. I never use the fast-forward function, unless I'm reviewing an old program trying to find a specific scene. For commercial skipping, I use the jump functions. It's much faster.

As for the PHD-VRX, it will record QAM and will view NTSC. It cannot record NTSC, so you can't record any analogue cable channels with it. As with all DVRs, it has no A/V inputs, so it can't record the output of your STB. No DVR can; that's the job of a PC capture card, such as those which people use to record footage of themselves playing video games.

Quote:

In theory, even if the PSIP time is wrong, it should still match the time the station will start the broadcast, so setting a recording from the EPG should be safe unless the PSIP time changes between when the recording was scheduled and when the show is broadcast.

In my experience, station clocks and station schedules operate independently, meaning that programs always start exactly on time, regardless of what the station clock says. The PSIP time is just random, and nobody ever bothers to check it to see if it matches the clock the station uses to determine when its programs should start and end. Of course YMMV, and this doesn't include the recent trend of letting shows run one minute over and starting the next show one minute late on purpose.
Clint S. likes this.
post #199 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Clint.... If you decide that you want the Magnavox, I have one in absolutely pristine condition that I'm sure we can make a deal on. It's only seen about 24 hours of use, I bought it for one specific project that has now long passed. I'm in Covington, so not far from you.
Ok thanks, I can't see how to send a PM here anymore. confused.gif (This new layout sucks, I haven't been here in a long time, long before they added these "thumbs up"). EDIT: I found the area an I PM'd you.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #200 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for the PHD-VRX, it will record QAM and will view NTSC. It cannot record NTSC, so you can't record any analogue cable channels with it. As with all DVRs, it has no A/V inputs, so it can't record the output of your STB. No DVR can; that's the job of a PC capture card, such as those which people use to record footage of themselves playing video games.
(I'll go over the rest of these shortly, but I wanted to reply to this now)....the PHD-VRX does indeed have A/V inputs! It has the composite A/V inputs, and even an HDMI input. So.......? It will record from an STB?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #201 of 1394 Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

To send a PM, click on the user's name, then click "Send Private Message" on the menu that appears under the user's avatar.
Quote:

the PHD-VRX does indeed have A/V inputs! It has the composite A/V inputs, and even an HDMI input. So.......? It will record from an STB?

It can only record from its ATSC/QAM tuners.
Clint S. likes this.
post #202 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To send a PM, click on the user's name, then click "Send Private Message" on the menu that appears under the user's avatar.
I edited my post, but thanks. wink.gif
Quote:

the PHD-VRX does indeed have A/V inputs! It has the composite A/V inputs, and even an HDMI input. So.......? It will record from an STB?
Quote:
It can only record from its ATSC/QAM tuners.
(confused.gif And why is that? More monopolizing TiVo BS??) I see, so what about taking the RF-out from the STB and using that into the RF-in on the PHD-VRX? That's what I do now with the STB and the VCR so it can record the premium channels.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #203 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Digital Video Recorders record digital video. Your STB outputs analogue NTSC video. They are incompatible technologies. What you're asking for is like asking how to make a CD player understand vinyl records. One is digital, the other is analogue. They are apples and oranges. Recording ATSC/QAM and recording NTSC are functions usually served by separate devices. The only ones that can do both are the DVD/HDD recorders that others have mentioned (which are limited to SD), and PC capture cards. Capture cards are aimed at enthusiasts and thus have features which DVRs do not have.
post #204 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Digital Video Recorders record digital video. Your STB outputs analogue NTSC video. They are incompatible technologies.
The STB (at least the one I use) outputs both analog and digital from the RF-out. Well actually the one I use now, I can't say for sure, but Cox at least is. Remember, on the last STB that went bad, for example, I could watch ch 3 (SD NBC), or I could watch ch 1003 (HD NBC), and this is on the old CRT TV. So they are indeed broadcasting both A/D signals on the RF output. Also, remember that I can connect the bare cable from a wall to a HDTV's RF-in and get (some) DTV HD channels, but also with the STB's RF-out I can receive all HD channels using the HDTV's RF-in, so they are sending DTV along the cable even without the STB and of course with one. So would that not mean that one can record from an STB's RF-out to the PHD-VRX? (Sorry, I've gotten the model #'s confused, since this is the Homeworx thread, so when I say "PHD-VRX" I'd like to also imply the Homeworx.....I can't even remember now if that one has been "scratched" because of something. rolleyes.gif ) EDIT: I went back and checked and I remember now that the Homeworx doesn't have a clock, so it's out.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #205 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

The STB (at least the one I use) outputs both analog and digital from the RF-out . . .

True, but the signal derived from the digital channels you tune is converted and output as an analog signal at the RF output on the STB. smile.gif

They consider THIS
post #206 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
I recently bought this homeworx to play over the air TV to my projector through my Pioneer vsx1022 receiver.

When I plug the homeworx to via HDMI to my receiver and select the corresonding input it does not work. Project can not find the source. However if i use the A/V (Yellow,Red,White cables) from the homeworx to my receiver it works.

Also if i plug the homeworx to my my toshiba plasma using HDMI it works fine.

Is there a special setting or somethign that needs to be done so it can pass HDMI through a receiver?

Thanks!
post #207 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent jones View Post

I recently bought this homeworx to play over the air TV to my projector through my Pioneer vsx1022 receiver.

When I plug the homeworx to via HDMI to my receiver and select the corresonding input it does not work. Project can not find the source. However if i use the A/V (Yellow,Red,White cables) from the homeworx to my receiver it works.

Also if i plug the homeworx to my my toshiba plasma using HDMI it works fine.

Is there a special setting or somethign that needs to be done so it can pass HDMI through a receiver?

Thanks!

Does Projector has HDMI input? Most receiver can only select HDMI input to HDMI output, cannot switch HDMI input to component output or A/V output.
From "Project can not find the source. However if i use the A/V (Yellow,Red,White cables) from the homeworx to my receiver it works", look like
Projector is connect A/V to receiver, then the input must be A/V between HW150 and Receiver.
post #208 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember, on the last STB that went bad, for example, I could watch ch 3 (SD NBC), or I could watch ch 1003 (HD NBC), and this is on the old CRT TV. So they are indeed broadcasting both A/D signals on the RF output.

Your old CRT TV likely has no digital tuner and can't display HD. Your STB converts both SD and HD digital signals into SD analogue signals for the benefit of old hardware which lacks digital tuners, as WS65711 said.

The only purpose of your STB is to let you keep using old analogue equipment, such as CRT TVs and VCRs. If you upgrade to equipment with a digital tuner, such as a DVR, the STB becomes useless. You might as well send it back to your cable company, unless you want to keep using the VCR.
post #209 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Liked: 10
Yes the Projector has HDMI in. that is how the receiver is hookup to the projector.

So one cable runs from the projectors HDMI input from the receivers HDMI output. Then all components (Xbox 360, ps3, appleTV, etc) connect to the receivers HDMI input. I then select which component i want to use on the projector.
post #210 of 1394 Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

(I'll go over the rest of these shortly, but I wanted to reply to this now)....the PHD-VRX does indeed have A/V inputs! It has the composite A/V inputs, and even an HDMI input. So.......? It will record from an STB?
I believe those are just for passing signals through, not recording; but Videobruce is the expert on the PHD-VRX. Ask him on the PHD-VRX thread to be sure.

Quote:

In my experience, station clocks and station schedules operate independently, meaning that programs always start exactly on time, regardless of what the station clock says. The PSIP time is just random, and nobody ever bothers to check it to see if it matches the clock the station uses to determine when its programs should start and end. Of course YMMV, and this doesn't include the recent trend of letting shows run one minute over and starting the next show one minute late on purpose.
Of course you're right about that. Sorry I wasn't very clear.

If the station clock is a minute slow or fast, that's not going to affect the network feed. The EPG would indicate the true start/end time, so your recordings would start a minute too late (or end a minute too soon). Just one more reason I always pad recordings by a couple of minutes. I can always edit the excess out later on the PC.

What I was thinking of was a mistake that throws both the clock and EPG times off by the same amount, so the errors cancel out, such as forgetting to flip the DST flag on the proper day (a problem I've seen more often). The time data is all in GMT anyhow, so this kind of mistake makes things look weird, but doesn't mess up your recordings.

I don't know much about station equipment, but I'd guess a lot of encoders have their own internal clocks, which aren't necessarily synced to the station's master clock. Sort of the reverse of the problem with the Homeworx.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page