Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 62Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2101 of 2110 Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The support from Mediasonic explicitly said a powered drive. Good to know that's not completely necessary.
As far as a fan, what type do you use and is it actually mounted on your box?

Finally, I guess I owe an apology. After typing the one comment yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I moved the box into the room with the AVR... and wouldn't you know it: recordings played from the PVR menu ARE stereo. Even when set to RAW. Same bug as the HW150. (DD is still output for live and timeshifted shows.)

Was the DD bug fixed on the HW150? I know there was talk about it. If so that makes the HW180 inferior.
As far as captions you are basically looking at either captions on timeshifting (on the HW150) or captions on playing recordings (the HW180).
Moving a completed recording to the USB port on my TV lets me play back in 5.1 with captions regardless of what these boxes are doing makes the HW180 less desirable.

That may change with updates, but I'm re-evaluating my purchase. While I'm not using the DD5.1 right now, I'd be nice to have the option. I certainly don't feel great keeping something on the hope that customer service comes through with a firmware update.

Edit: I pressed their support to find out an ETA on a firmware update, and sandwiched in the middle of an email was this gem:
Quote:
Please be aware that if hardware changes are involved, there will be no firmware update, for example, with different hardware, the firmware of V11.0 and V10.1 are not compatible. Of course, it is too early to say that.
I'll be returning this unit... again. It hurts more this time because I'm sure I'll never get a price as good.

Last edited by DoctorM; 04-22-2016 at 08:53 PM.
DoctorM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2102 of 2110 Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,447
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
The support from Mediasonic explicitly said a powered drive. Good to know that's not completely necessary.
As far as a fan, what type do you use and is it actually mounted on your box?
Mine's complicated: I took one of the oldest HW-150s and added a USB hub, thumb drive, and a very thin fan I got at Fry's Electronics. I don't remember the make of the fan, but it was meant to be mounted in tight quarters. I don't yet have a fan for my newer HW-150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Finally, I guess I owe an apology. After typing the one comment yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I moved the box into the room with the AVR... and wouldn't you know it: recordings played from the PVR menu ARE stereo. Even when set to RAW. Same bug as the HW150. (DD is still output for live and timeshifted shows.)

Was the DD bug fixed on the HW150?
No, the 150 still has the same bug. Recordings don't play in DD on any HomeWorX, iView, or any other clone I know of without using the workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
As far as captions you are basically looking at either captions on timeshifting (on the HW150) or captions on playing recordings (the HW180).
My newer HW-150 (with V2.1 firmware) appears to work exactly like your HW-180. Here's a summary:

  • Live viewing: CC works
  • Time-shifting: CC doesn't work unless you FF to the end (so you're essentially watching live). If you pause or rewind CC stops working until you FF to the end again.
  • Chase play: Same as time-shifting
  • Playback: CC works

As you've noted, 7816-based boxes like the current HW-150s work differently. CC works live and when time-shifting (and probably during chase play too), but not during playback. So far, no box has firmware that lets CC work in all cases.

BTW, pressing Exit will dismiss the progress bar at the bottom that comes up when you start time-shifting or chase play. You don't have to leave it on-screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Moving a completed recording to the USB port on my TV lets me play back in 5.1 with captions regardless of what these boxes are doing makes the HW180 less desirable.

That may change with updates, but I'm re-evaluating my purchase. While I'm not using the DD5.1 right now, I'd be nice to have the option. I certainly don't feel great keeping something on the hope that customer service comes through with a firmware update.

Edit: I pressed their support to find out an ETA on a firmware update, and sandwiched in the middle of an email was this gem:
I'll be returning this unit... again. It hurts more this time because I'm sure I'll never get a price as good.
Unfortunately Mediasonic makes frequent small hardware changes. I guess their policy is, once they stop using a particular hardware configuration, firmware development on that configuration stops, and starts on the new configuration. I guess I can't blame them: who wants to put the same fix into possibly dozens of slightly different firmware versions? But the problem is, you never know when a hardware change might happen. If it happens to the HW-180 before they figure out how to fix the CC issue, your only recourse would be to buy a new HW-180 with the new hardware/firmware. IOW there's no guarantee the CCs will ever be completely fixed on your particular box.

Mediasonic exaggerates the firmware incompatibility issue. It's true that some hardware changes, such as the SoC or demod chip, render firmware utterly incompatible; and I try quite hard to watch for those kinds of changes. But most of their hardware changes are minor, so the "wrong" firmware will still "mostly" work.
DoctorM likes this.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2103 of 2110 Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Member
 
whosbest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
No, the 150 still has the same bug. Recordings don't play in DD on any HomeWorX, iView, or any other clone I know of without using the workaround.
I just bought a new 150 with of course different firmware than the old one. Recordings from the old won't play on the new, which is described in this thread.

The new box won't play recordings from a DD5.1 source broadcast in 5.1, as you describe. I haven't tried the rename to .ts workaround yet.

But, the old box, with v. 14 firmware, always has played the recordings from DD5.1 sources directly in 5.1 without any workaround.
whosbest1 is offline  
post #2104 of 2110 Old 05-01-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,447
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Interesting! V14 was the last firmware version for the "1st-generation" HomeWorXes with the Samsung demod chip. I used to have an HW-150 with V14 but it died on me. (I don't have an AVR so I couldn't have discovered that DD5.1 playback worked on it.) They may have fixed the DD5.1 bug in that version, then lost the fix when they had to start over with the new boxes with the 1237 demod chip. I don't suppose your V14 box does closed captions on playback too, by any chance?

Also interesting that your new HW-150 won't play back recordings from your old V14 one. This had been reported for HW-180, but I hadn't heard about it with the HW-150. What firmware and hardware version is the new one?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2105 of 2110 Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Member
 
whosbest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I don't suppose your V14 box does closed captions on playback too, by any chance?

Also interesting that your new HW-150 won't play back recordings from your old V14 one. This had been reported for HW-180, but I hadn't heard about it with the HW-150. What firmware and hardware version is the new one?
I couldn't get CC to work with the old box, but I'm not sure if I tried all the right settings.

The new box is firmware V.5.0 and HW V.5, MLG-7802-ATSC.
whosbest1 is offline  
post #2106 of 2110 Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,447
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 577
OMG they've switched hardware and firmware yet again!?!

This is the fifth time - and that doesn't even count more minor hardware changes! Original HW-150s had a 7816 SoC and Samsung demodulator, like your old one. 2nd-generation boxes had a 7816 but an MStar 1237 demodulator (Samsung quit making the demod used in the original boxes); firmware versions were V1 and V18 . 3rd-gen boxes replaced the 7816 with a 7802; the firmware versions were V2.0 or V2.1. (I have one of those.) 4th-generation went back to the 7816, and the firmware version changed to V4.0 or V4.1. (They had to skip V3 because that was an old firmware version for the original box!)

And it sounds like your new box is a 5th-generation, which has gone back to the 7802 again! And the firmware is now at V5.0. I believe recordings made by 7816 boxes are incompatible with those made by 7802 boxes, but I haven't been able to positively confirm that (although it seems to be true in your case).

iView sells a similar box, and has also changed from a 7816 to a 7802 SoC recently. But they badly screwed up their firmware in the process. Mediasonic seems to do a better job with their firmware - but they did manage to lose the DD5.1 fix they had in V14, didn't they?

As far as closed captions work, a pattern has emerged: CCs work on all HomeWorxes during live viewing; they work on 7816 boxes when time-shifting, but not when playing back recordings (pressing the CC button just displays "invalid"); while on 7802 boxes, they work during playback, but not when time-shifting! Mediasonic has claimed to one of us (DoctorM) that they're working on getting CCs working during time-shifting on 7802 boxes, which should result in them working in all cases on those boxes. I'm sure he'd be interested to learn whether Mediasonic made any progress on CCs in V5.0.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Yesterday at 11:19 AM. Reason: Change "support" to "works;" also see bold text
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2107 of 2110 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
OMG they've switched hardware and firmware yet again!?!

This is the fifth time - and that doesn't even count more minor hardware changes! Original HW-150s had a 7816 SoC and Samsung demodulator, like your old one. 2nd-generation boxes had a 7816 but an MStar 1237 demodulator (Samsung quit making the demod used in the original boxes); firmware versions were V1 and V18 . 3rd-gen boxes replaced the 7816 with a 7802; the firmware versions were V2.0 or V2.1. (I have one of those.) 4th-generation went back to the 7816, and the firmware version changed to V4.0 or V4.1. (They had to skip V3 because that was an old firmware version for the original box!)

And it sounds like your new box is a 5th-generation, which has gone back to the 7802 again! And the firmware is now at V5.0. I believe recordings made by 7816 boxes are incompatible with those made by 7802 boxes, but I haven't been able to positively confirm that (although it seems to be true in your case).

iView sells a similar box, and has also changed from a 7816 to a 7802 SoC recently. But they badly screwed up their firmware in the process. Mediasonic seems to do a better job with their firmware - but they did manage to lose the DD5.1 fix they had in V14, didn't they?

As far as closed captions work, a pattern has emerged: all HomeWorxes support them during live viewing; 7816 boxes also support them when time-shifting, but not when playing back recordings (pressing the CC button just displays "invalid"); while 7802 boxes support them during playback, but not when time-shifting! Mediasonic has claimed to one of us (DoctorM) that they're working on getting CCs working in all cases. I'm sure he'd be interested to learn whether Mediasonic made any progress on CCs in V5.0.
Actually at one point I was told they didn't support CC (in reference to them not showing up on PVR recordings.)
The statement about 'fixing' CC was only in reference to getting them to work when timeshifting the 7802(?) boxes.

I don't know if that's still their stand on the issue or not.
DoctorM is offline  
post #2108 of 2110 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,447
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Actually at one point I was told they didn't support CC (in reference to them not showing up on PVR recordings.)
The statement about 'fixing' CC was only in reference to getting them to work when timeshifting the 7802(?) boxes.

I don't know if that's still their stand on the issue or not.
I remember that. It was in reference to the HW-150 you bought with V4.1 firmware. But "not supported" isn't the same thing as "doesn't work!" It just means if it doesn't work, they won't try to fix it. I edited my last post to clarify this distinction. (BTW that's Mediasonic's position on cable/QAM also. It sort of works, but if it doesn't work correctly on your cable system, too bad - cable is "not supported.")

Your HW-150 was 7816-based, whereas whosbest1's new HW-150, your HW-180, and my HW-150 are all 7802-based. So far, CCs work during playback on every 7802-based firmware version I've been able to check - even on otherwise-buggy iViews! So it's a good bet it works on this new HW-150 too.

So the question I have is, did they fix CCs when time-shifting in V5.0? If they did, it seems unlikely that the fix would somehow stop CCs from working on playback. IOW, CCs may actually work in all cases, even though they're "not supported" during playback.

Hopefully, @whosbest1 can check whether CCs work when time-shifting and/or during playback on his new HW-150. That said, even if it works I wouldn't buy another HW-150 just yet! There's no guarantee you'd get the new one. Probably best to wait a few months to let any old stock get sold off first.
DoctorM likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2109 of 2110 Old Today, 05:11 AM
Member
 
whosbest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Hopefully, @whosbest1 can check whether CCs work when time-shifting and/or during playback on his new HW-150. That said, even if it works I wouldn't buy another HW-150 just yet! There's no guarantee you'd get the new one. Probably best to wait a few months to let any old stock get sold off first.
I checked my new box and it only works displaying a live broadcast. I hit record during that broadcast and the CC disappears from the display. Playing the resulting recording also has no CC.
whosbest1 is offline  
post #2110 of 2110 Old Today, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,447
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 577
I guess we'll keep waiting for V11.1 for the HW-180 then.
JHBrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

taboola here


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off