Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 70Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2161 of 2212 Unread 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
The situation is, antenna at home with PVR to record the soaps, then she works on the boat with no computer .
So I need the second one for playback on the boat.

I just found out there is another model the HW220STB, $50. Is it worth another $20, in other words, does it have less bugs?
What ever I get they will be the same Model.

Thanks, Mikek
2200 is karaoke based aka same as 180 or 150 but with a mic and a little different firmware.

JHBrandt been doing this stuff way longer then I have but I have tested much more intensively different models recently. I wouldn't get anything iview or other then homeworx. Of the homeworx models I prefer the 150. Why? It has extra ports the 180 doesn't have, but more importantly its a metal case so cooling is way better. Mine doesn't even get warm. Also if you care the 150 has some dolby 5.1 support the 180 its not supported and never will be. Also if you talk to tech support at mediasonic and ask the differences between the 180 and 150 they basically tell you the 180 is a stripped down version of the 150.

BTW there is also a 130 model now which is a rather stripped down 180 which is newer and smaller but since its so new the firmware is not as stable.

Again get the 150 its the best model out there
Skitz1967 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2162 of 2212 Unread 05-20-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
I agree, the 150 is probably the best Homeworx model to get. It costs about the same as the 180 (sometimes a bit more, sometimes less), but you get component video outputs, coaxial digital audio for an AVR, and a software-controlled "loop through" option for the RF output. (Not that useful, actually; but I want to be thorough.) OTOH, I do prefer the 180's remote.

The 220 has two mic inputs for karaoke and comes with one mic. That's what accounts for its higher price. I don't know anyone who actually has one, but I seriously doubt the firmware is much different.

One non-obvious thing you may need is something to weaken the input signal. (A 3-way splitter is a cheap way to do this.) The Homeworx tuners are very susceptible to overload, so sometimes it works better if you feed it a weaker signal than your TV likes.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2163 of 2212 Unread 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I agree, the 150 is probably the best Homeworx model to get. It costs about the same as the 180 (sometimes a bit more, sometimes less), but you get component video outputs, coaxial digital audio for an AVR, and a software-controlled "loop through" option for the RF output. (Not that useful, actually; but I want to be thorough.) OTOH, I do prefer the 180's remote.

The 220 has two mic inputs for karaoke and comes with one mic. That's what accounts for its higher price. I don't know anyone who actually has one, but I seriously doubt the firmware is much different.

One non-obvious thing you may need is something to weaken the input signal. (A 3-way splitter is a cheap way to do this.) The Homeworx tuners are very susceptible to overload, so sometimes it works better if you feed it a weaker signal than your TV likes.
You forgot dolby 5.1 (180 never will have that working)
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2164 of 2212 Unread 05-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
2200 is karaoke based aka same as 180 or 150 but with a mic and a little different firmware.

JHBrandt been doing this stuff way longer then I have but I have tested much more intensively different models recently. I wouldn't get anything iview or other then homeworx. Of the homeworx models I prefer the 150. Why? It has extra ports the 180 doesn't have, but more importantly its a metal case so cooling is way better. Mine doesn't even get warm. Also if you care the 150 has some dolby 5.1 support the 180 its not supported and never will be. Also if you talk to tech support at mediasonic and ask the differences between the 180 and 150 they basically tell you the 180 is a stripped down version of the 150.

BTW there is also a 130 model now which is a rather stripped down 180 which is newer and smaller but since its so new the firmware is not as stable.

Again get the 150 its the best model out there
Ok, so far 4 Homeworx models, 130, 150, 180 and 220. All the same price except the 220 is $20 more.
I don't need karaoke, and no desire to spend more, so unless someone can convince me the 220 has a better timer setup, program log, program guide or less playback stutter.
I'm taking that one off list.
The HW130, stripped down model for the same price, tossing that one also.

I see the USB connector is on the front of the 150, that's good, because it will get used daily with a flash drive, not just connect a hard drive and forget it.
I see the 150 has an extra set of audio and video connectors, is that it? Just more of the same audio/video out?
What does the coaxial output do?
Any difference in the timer setup, program log, program guide or less playback stutter, between the 150 and 180.

I'm leaning to the HW150, I thought it was an earlier version, but now it doesn't seem so.

Thnaks for yor time, Mikek
Qmavam is offline  
post #2165 of 2212 Unread 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I see the 150 has an extra set of audio and video connectors, is that it? Just more of the same audio/video out?
Yes, same video on all outputs; just different formats: yellow connector is composite, red/green/blue are component, "slot" connector is HDMI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
What does the coaxial output do?
Digital audio for a home theater. You probably don't need it for what you're planning, but it might be useful if your plans change at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
Any difference in the timer setup, program log, program guide or less playback stutter, between the 150 and 180.
No. User interface is essentially identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I'm leaning to the HW150, I thought it was an earlier version, but now it doesn't seem so.
It is "earlier" in that it was the first model Mediasonic sold. The HW-180 came later, but was always a more stripped-down version. Early HW-180s couldn't even record (!), but today the two models are very similar except for what's already been discussed.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2166 of 2212 Unread 05-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes, same video on all outputs; just different formats: yellow connector is composite, red/green/blue are component, "slot" connector is HDMI.
Digital audio for a home theater. You probably don't need it for what you're planning, but it might be useful if your plans change at some point.
No. User interface is essentially identical.

It is "earlier" in that it was the first model Mediasonic sold. The HW-180 came later, but was always a more stripped-down version. Early HW-180s couldn't even record (!), but today the two models are very similar except for what's already been discussed.
I'm placing my order for an HW150PVR and the fast Flash drive I referenced previouly.
If I'm happy I'll order the second for the workplace. (the boat)

Thanks for the help and I'll give feedback when I get things going.

Mikek
Qmavam is offline  
post #2167 of 2212 Unread 05-21-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
sdreader with a class 10 chip works well to, in spite of what has been posted... most flash drives just aren't fast enough, but a class 10 or higher chip in an sdreader seems fine. YMMV but this is what I found for me personally.
Based on your suggestion I'm now testing this class 10 SD chip: http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-.../dp/B00T9QONOU. Note: it comes formatted as "exFAT," which won't work with the HW-150, but V2.1 firmware refused to reformat it. I reformatted it as NTFS with a PC and was then able to reformat it again with the HW-150.

At $30, with frequent "lightning deals" that knock a few more $$ off, this is the cheapest 128GB SD card I could find (that wasn't a fake. If you buy an SD card, make sure to test it with h2testw.exe to confirm it's not a small SD card doctored to falsely report 128 GB, especially if it costs less than this one. And don't fall for a high 5-star review rate: the fraudsters also post fake 5-star reviews to skew Amazon's rating percentages).
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2168 of 2212 Unread 05-22-2016, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Well, a class 10 SD card worked quite well for both recording and playback. But it wasn't so great for time-shifting; it kept pausing and getting further and further behind "live," making time-shifting rather annoying to watch. This isn't a problem with a true HDD.

I suspect a fast flash drive will act similarly. So it should work just fine for what Qmavam is planning, but if you use time-shifting, a standard HDD is still preferred.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2169 of 2212 Unread 05-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, a class 10 SD card worked quite well for both recording and playback. But it wasn't so great for time-shifting; it kept pausing and getting further and further behind "live," making time-shifting rather annoying to watch. This isn't a problem with a true HDD.

I suspect a fast flash drive will act similarly. So it should work just fine for what Qmavam is planning, but if you use time-shifting, a standard HDD is still preferred.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thats the reader I used have been extremely happy with it.
If you want a hard drive this is what I am using right now.
http://smile.amazon.com/Oyen-Digital...ilpage_o01_s00
Just throw any old laptop hard drive in this enclosure and done.

There are of course many other possibilities but these are what I have used with my 150 both solutions work well. Notice both units received very high reviews... now very good reviews from my personal experience as well.
JHBrandt likes this.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2170 of 2212 Unread 05-23-2016, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Probably unrelated (heh heh), but I want to mention that I tested the HW-180STB with a lightly used 2-year-old Corsair Flash Voyager USB 3.0 stick. Performance was okay. A couple days after I returned the Homeworx I found the flash stick was dead.

I got it replaced under warranty but still, the timing was worrisome.
Anyone else ever see something like that?
DoctorM is offline  
post #2171 of 2212 Unread 05-23-2016, 07:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Probably unrelated (heh heh), but I want to mention that I tested the HW-180STB with a lightly used 2-year-old Corsair Flash Voyager USB 3.0 stick. Performance was okay. A couple days after I returned the Homeworx I found the flash stick was dead.

I got it replaced under warranty but still, the timing was worrisome.
Anyone else ever see something like that?
Thumbdrives like ssd drives have limited writes over their life cycle and using them as a dvr can use up those limited # of writes pretty quick. I used an sdcard class 10 and its still working fine even though its no longer on my homeworx.... went to hd as needed more space.

Last edited by Skitz1967; 05-23-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2172 of 2212 Unread 05-23-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
The one thing Corsair doesn't list in their specs for that flash drive is the number of write cycles! But if it was the 64GB one, that one has a 5-year warranty. (Of course that assumes you have proof of the purchase date.)

Modern flash drives have far more write cycles than early ones did, and the Homeworx doesn't write except on demand. (Other DVRs write to a time-shift buffer anytime they're turned on, but the Homeworx doesn't unless you press Pause or Record.) So I wouldn't expect the HW-180 to use up all the write cycles on a flash drive in the few days you had it.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2173 of 2212 Unread 05-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The one thing Corsair doesn't list in their specs for that flash drive is the number of write cycles! But if it was the 64GB one, that one has a 5-year warranty. (Of course that assumes you have proof of the purchase date.)

Modern flash drives have far more write cycles than early ones did, and the Homeworx doesn't write except on demand. (Other DVRs write to a time-shift buffer anytime they're turned on, but the Homeworx doesn't unless you press Pause or Record.) So I wouldn't expect the HW-180 to use up all the write cycles on a flash drive in the few days you had it.
Yeah I agree didn't realize he had only had it for a few days. Would likely take a few months of extremely heavy non stop use to even have a chance of wearing one out
DoctorM likes this.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2174 of 2212 Unread 05-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I received the 150 and the 64GB Flash Drive yesterday. I set it up and it programmed in all the local channels.
I made a short test recording and it worked fine, the audio was a little low though. (I haven't looked for a setting)
I made a timed recording and watched ten minutes of it just to see if there would be any glitches, I saw none.
I worked the fast forward and rewind, and pause, Cool!
I setup a daily record of her soaps, I'll see if it does the the job, I suspect it will.
Interesting that it has no clock or calendar. That also seems to work into why the daily
record is seven days not five.
I did format the Flash Drive for NTFS before I used it.
I have not tried the time shift, would be good info to add, IF this Flash Drive is better than others.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extrem...ilpage_o00_s00
Thanks for the feedback before my purchase.
I showed the wife last night, her comment, "it looks to complicated" arrgh!
I guess she likes the low quality of the SLP recordings with all the dropouts and
wrinkled tape winding through.
She will get the sequence for getting her programs after she does it a few times.

Last edited by Qmavam; 05-25-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: To fix the syntax and spacing
Qmavam is offline  
post #2175 of 2212 Unread 05-26-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I showed the wife last night, her comment, "it looks to complicated" arrgh!
It's certainly more complex than a VCR. Luckily she only has to learn how to play the files on the USB stick. You can handle recording for her.

If the HW-150 on the boat doesn't have an antenna connected, she'll see "no signal" each time she boots it up. Just tell her to ignore that, press the USB button on the remote, and select PVR. Then it's just point to the file and click OK. (Well, one counter-intuitive thing; once it starts playing she has to press the "Hold" button, of all things, to go from the preview to full-screen.)

The volume defaults to 16 (out of 32), so just turn it up or down as desired with the left and right arrow keys on the remote. On many stations I have to turn mine up to 24. (If you use "RAW" audio, the volume setting is ignored. Sound is either off or on, and you have to adjust the volume on your TV.)

The date and time are set from a data stream broadcast by each station (PSIP). PSIP also contains the electronic program guide. A few stations send an incorrect date and/or time; we've been wishing for a "manual override" for those stations for a long time, but nothing has ever been done. Hopefully all your stations send correct date/time.

The daily recordings are extremely simple-minded: after recording, instead of deleting the timer, it just adds one day to the date. (Weekly recordings, of course, add seven days.) We've also been asking for a "weekdays" option that would add three days instead of one after a Friday recording to skip the weekend, but again, nothing has ever been done.

Go ahead and try time-shift with your USB stick. Just press Pause, then once it's ready, press Play. Let us know if you get the same pauses my SD card reader gave. It would be nice to know which solid-state devices work with time-shift and which don't.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-26-2016 at 07:19 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2176 of 2212 Unread 05-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I received the 150 and the 64GB Flash Drive yesterday. I set it up and it programmed in all the local channels.
I made a short test recording and it worked fine, the audio was a little low though. (I haven't looked for a setting)
I made a timed recording and watched ten minutes of it just to see if there would be any glitches, I saw none.
I worked the fast forward and rewind, and pause, Cool!
I setup a daily record of her soaps, I'll see if it does the the job, I suspect it will.
Interesting that it has no clock or calendar. That also seems to work into why the daily
record is seven days not five.
I did format the Flash Drive for NTFS before I used it.
I have not tried the time shift, would be good info to add, IF this Flash Drive is better than others.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extrem...ilpage_o00_s00
Thanks for the feedback before my purchase.
I showed the wife last night, her comment, "it looks to complicated" arrgh!
I guess she likes the low quality of the SLP recordings with all the dropouts and
wrinkled tape winding through.
She will get the sequence for getting her programs after she does it a few times.
What version firmware are you running is says on the barcode on the back and also in the menus under info?
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2177 of 2212 Unread 05-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
What version firmware are you running is says on the barcode on the back and also in the menus under info?
Version 5.0.

I ran some timeshift, I got about 4 minutes behind, then FFW, RW and paused. It worked flawless, no glitches.
Would glitching get worse with if there was more time shifted? In other words, if I time shifted 25 minutes and then
watched, would it be more likely to glitch?

So far great!

I tried playing on my computer.
When I plug in the Flash Drive and open, I get a folder called MM_Play_Time.
It tries to open in notepad and then I get a box that says, "Access Denied"
What program do I need to play this on my computer?

Thanks all

Edit, I downloaded VLC Media Player. It does want to recognize what is on my Flash Drive.
Any secret I need to know?

Last edited by Qmavam; 05-28-2016 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added more info
Qmavam is offline  
post #2178 of 2212 Unread 05-28-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I ran some timeshift, I got about 4 minutes behind, then FFW, RW and paused. It worked flawless, no glitches.

Would glitching get worse with if there was more time shifted? In other words, if I time shifted 25 minutes and then
watched, would it be more likely to glitch?
I don't think so. It sounds like your flash drive works pretty well for time-shifting (at least on that channel). Thanks for letting us know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I tried playing on my computer.
When I plug in the Flash Drive and open, I get a folder called MM_Play_Time.
It tries to open in notepad and then I get a box that says, "Access Denied"
What program do I need to play this on my computer?
MM_Play_Time isn't a video file or folder: it's a file the HW-150 uses to keep track of what program you were watching and where you stopped. That way if you play th same program again, it can prompt you and ask whether you want to resume where you left off or start over from the beginning.

Your recordings should be in a folder named HBPVR. If you have Windows set to show extensions, they'll have the extension .mts. There will probably be files with the extension .meta also; ignore those. If Windows is set to hide extensions, the .meta files may look like they have a .mts extension (because the file names actually end with ".mts.meta"), while the real .mts files will appear with no extension.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2179 of 2212 Unread 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I don't think so. It sounds like your flash drive works pretty well for time-shifting (at least on that channel). Thanks for letting us know!
Yes, I think it is a very good Flash Drive as far the speed, and, it even has the feel of quality, but then it did cost as much as the HW150, which is kind of crazy.
Quote:
MM_Play_Time isn't a video file or folder: it's a file the HW-150 uses to keep track of what program you were watching and where you stopped. That way if you play th same program again, it can prompt you and ask whether you want to resume where you left off or start over from the beginning.
OK on the file.
I plug the Flash Drive into the USB port, that causes a window to open with two options, one is to open, the other to scan for virus, I think.
I don't see any file, folder or option for anything else on the Flash Drive. I know there are at least 3 shows recorded.
Quote:
Your recordings should be in a folder named HBPVR.
I'm familiar with HBPVR when I check what programs I have recorded.
I'm not seeing HBPVR when I use the computer to open the Flash Drive.
Quote:
If you have Windows set to show extensions, they'll have the extension .mts. There will probably be files with the extension .meta also; ignore those. If Windows is set to hide extensions, the .meta files may look like they have a .mts extension (because the file names actually end with ".mts.meta"), while the real .mts files will appear with no extension.
I'll need to look, I don't know enough to understand if setting to show extensions, will cause the Flash Drive to open showing different files, (like .mts)
Qmavam is offline  
post #2180 of 2212 Unread 05-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Member
 
jdhdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lynchburg, Va
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a Homeworx box die, I just hooked up my replacement box, but when I try to play a file on my new box, nothing happens. Am I missing a setup step?
jdhdtv is offline  
post #2181 of 2212 Unread 05-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdtv View Post
I had a Homeworx box die, I just hooked up my replacement box, but when I try to play a file on my new box, nothing happens. Am I missing a setup step?
Not all homeworx boxes even if they all say 150 have the same hardware config. Do you happen to know what versions of firmware you old box had and what version your new one has? They may not be compatible, good news is even if they aren't compatible you can always watch all your old recordings on your pc or mac to catch up and everything going forward should work fine.
jdhdtv likes this.
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2182 of 2212 Unread 05-30-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
I plug the Flash Drive into the USB port, that causes a window to open with two options, one is to open, the other to scan for virus, I think.
I don't see any file, folder or option for anything else on the Flash Drive. I know there are at least 3 shows recorded.
I'm familiar with HBPVR when I check what programs I have recorded.
I'm not seeing HBPVR when I use the computer to open the Flash Drive.
I'll need to look, I don't know enough to understand if setting to show extensions, will cause the Flash Drive to open showing different files, (like .mts)
It's hard to tell what you're seeing, but I'm attaching a screen-shot of Windows Explorer when I plug my SD card into my Windows 7 PC.

If I open Windows Explorer I see it assigned drive letter H: with a volume name of 1234567890. If I expand H: I see the HBPVR subfolder with contents as shown.

Unfortunately each version of Windows is a little different, and Mac and Linux are even more different, so I don't know how it will look on your PC. This screen-shot is just to give you an idea what to look for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	53
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1469153  
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2183 of 2212 Unread 05-31-2016, 05:42 AM
Member
 
jdhdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lynchburg, Va
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
Not all homeworx boxes even if they all say 150 have the same hardware config. Do you happen to know what versions of firmware you old box had and what version your new one has? They may not be compatible, good news is even if they aren't compatible you can always watch all your old recordings on your pc or mac to catch up and everything going forward should work fine.
Thanks, not sure of old firmware, bought 2 years ago, not changed. New box SW 01/25/16-V5.0. I'm also not aware of how I can watch my old files on my PC.
jdhdtv is offline  
post #2184 of 2212 Unread 05-31-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
The old box was probably 7816-based. The new boxes like the one you have now are 7802-based. They seem to encode their recordings in a slightly different format.

You could probably convert your old recordings to a different container format, such as .ts or .mpg, using a PC tool like ffmpeg, then play the converted recordings on your new 150 as "movies." But I haven't had a chance to try that yet.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2185 of 2212 Unread 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdtv View Post
Thanks, not sure of old firmware, bought 2 years ago, not changed. New box SW 01/25/16-V5.0. I'm also not aware of how I can watch my old files on my PC.
I was suggesting just unplug your external meda from the homeworx, plug into a pc and play the files on your computer with vlc player. Unless you have a ton of files would be much easier then trying to convert them
Skitz1967 is offline  
post #2186 of 2212 Unread 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here's an app that can remux almost any h264 video. It can even author the video into avchd or BD without re-encoding.
http://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR
JHBrandt likes this.
nikknightt is offline  
post #2187 of 2212 Unread 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Member
 
DAK4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Peoria, Arizona
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
You forgot dolby 5.1 (180 never will have that working)
Just wanted to say thanks for that conversation. I was one click away from getting the 180 when I read this about the 180 not having DD 5.1 but the 150 does. That's an important one for me. Just ordered the 150

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000 | Screen: DIY 122" 21:9 | AVR: Onkyo TX-NR1030 w/ Ext NAD 2ch Amp for Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 |Blu-ray: PS3 | Speakers: Infinity Primus Fronts/Center and Micca M-6S in-wall/in-ceiling surrounds| Subs: (1)Inifinity PS-12 and (1)DIY 12"
My Home Theater:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...hp?member=DAK4
DAK4 is offline  
post #2188 of 2212 Unread 07-08-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
Ok guys and gals settle back this is gonna be a long post but definitely worth it

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE A 7802 HOMEWORX HW150 UNIT. NONE OF THIS APPLIES TO THE 7816 UNITS!!!!!!!!!
YOU WILL SURELY BRICK IF YOU TRY ANY OF THIS ON A 7816 UNIT.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!


Firstly the new 130 is ALMOST identical to the 180 hardware wise. The main differences are the Power supply on the 130 is removable and the 130 is much smaller footprint. Tech support has also stated you cannot cross flash firmware. Aka in spite of the fact the hardware is near identical you cannot successfully load the 180 firmware on the 130. The 130 only has 1 version of firmware and thats what it ship with. Unfortunately that version does NOT support playback of cc on recordings. So thats a dealbreaker for me. Sure the may have a firmware release that fixes it eventually... but they may well break something else or worse never release a fix at all. The 130 like the 180 also will NEVER support dolby 5.1 that feature is unique to the 150 series.

Ok so that leaves the 150 and 180:

As many in here know there are 2 versions of the 150 and 2 versions of the 180. I am pretty sure almost no one is interested in the older 180 that doesnt have recording capabilities. That leave 2 versions of the 150. Read the warning above in all caps.

OK so that leave the 150 and the 180 both of which have the 7802 soc. Well guess what other then the remotes they are cross flash-able. I just confirmed this with tech support and also cross flashed on my own unit. Current version I have tried and that have worked:

v5 (original shipping firmware on my unit)
v2.1 (recommended version for cc on the 150)
v8.1 (Equivalent version to 2.1 but on the 180)
v11 (Newest version on the 180)

**** Just in case you didn't see it before the remotes are different between the 180 and 150 so you will either need a remote from each or a universal programmable in order to be successful at this.
...
Oh and JHBrandt I would guess your iview since you successfully flashed 2.1 could also test all these versions. Hell who knows, should work as you already had to change remotes.
Just checked the Mediasonic forum. For HW180 users with V11, there is now a V11.1 which supposedly "Fixes bugs on Fast Forwarding." (I have V11 but I haven't noticed any FF bugs. I'll take a closer look tonight. Edit: I checked over the weekend but still couldn't see any obvious V11 bugs with Fast Forward. The FF button goes from X2 up to X32, doubling each time you press it, then returns to normal speed. X4 and up are "trick play" speeds where still frames are shown briefly instead of trying to display smooth video at those speeds. So I'm not sure what V11.1 fixed.)

BTW, to request firmware upgrades, Mediasonic now requires you to email them your serial # (off the back of the HW, I presume). I guess to prove you really have the proper box for the firmware you're requesting Guess they had too many returns of bricked boxes from improper updates.

For HW130 users with V1, there's a V1.1 which fixes the same bug. (Not sure if we have any HW130 users following this thread yet.) Also, for HW-150s with V5.0, there's a V5.1. The forum didn't say what V5.1 fixes, but it's reasonable to assume it's the same FF bug.

@Skitz1967 you may want to request V5.1 for your HW-150 and see how you think it compares to V5.0.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-11-2016 at 02:02 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #2189 of 2212 Unread 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Just completed the upgrade. I retrieved my old HW (the one that came with V3 firmware) from my in-laws and put iView V13 firmware on it. Seems to work fine so far. Notable differences:
  • Obviously, it uses the iView remote now. This cost me $10 but I like it better than the HW remote.
Given these results, I can recommend the iView remote and firmware as a cheap ($10 for the remote; firmware is free) minor upgrade for older HW-150PVRs that came with V3 or V10 firmware. If you have a HW-150PVR with V1, @Klaatu58 has confirmed that iView V3 firmware (not yet on iView's website, but hopefully soon) will work with it.
JHBrandt - Have you figured out how to activate slow-motion with the iView remote? It worked a couple of times by accident but I haven't been able to replicate the steps. Thanks.
Klaatu58 is offline  
post #2190 of 2212 Unread 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,690
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Slo-mo? No - that HW with iView firmware is at my in-laws at the moment.

What should work is pausing, then FF. If I remember, I'll give it a try next weekend when I go up there.

Of course, IIRC we're using different firmware versions. Mine uses V13 (for the old Samsung demodulator chip) and you had to go with V3 for the new MStar 1237 demodulator. So they may not work exactly the same, but I'll try it out anyway.

BTW, I tried it at home with both HW-150 V2.1 and HW-180 V11 firmware and as far as I could tell, with HW firmware slo-mo is a no-go.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-11-2016 at 07:17 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off