Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #2221 of 2222 Old Today, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I agree about the remote, but at present I'd still recommend the HW-150. Reason is that iView introduced some annoying bugs into the 3500 firmware when they switched from the 7816 to the 7802
Thank you, sir. So now the choice is between either the HomeWorx 150 or the 180STB. Mediasonic's site lists the differences between the two (remotes, jacks etc.). On some forums, the 180STB is called a cheaper version of the 150 both literally and figuratively.

Guess the 150 is the way to go unless you advise otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2222 Old Today, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 629
I would go with a 150 if the cost difference was small. The differences between the 130, 150, and 180 are all fairly minor:

• The 130 & 180 lack the 150's component video, and coaxial digital audio outputs. This is the decisive issue for me; I like having those outputs available
  • The 130 & 180 use a smaller remote. (Ironically, I like that remote a little better than the 150's remote. Even though it's smaller, it's easier to read the buttons. But the difference isn't that great)
  • The 180's USB port is in back. The other two have the USB port in front
  • The 130 & 180 have a hardware "channel 3/4" switch for the RF output (so I guess they don't support "loop-through;" but I recommend using a splitter vs. loop-through anyway)
  • The 130 & 180 have a "soft" power button that just puts it in standby just like the remote's power button. The 150's front panel has a "hard" power switch that physically disconnects power (like unplugging the 150)
  • The 130 uses an external "wall-wart" power supply (like the iView 3200). That could be an advantage: if the wall-wart fails, you don't lose the whole box
  • Depending on the firmware version, the 180 may have some minor quirks with entering channel numbers
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is not officially supported on the 180 (though HDMI audio can be set to Raw through the menu, and so DD5.1 may work anyway)

Assuming you get a 7802-based unit, as all the newer ones seem to be, the 150 and 180 firmware are largely interchangeable, so the last two differences could be overcome by cross-flashing the "wrong" box's firmware (and using the "wrong" box's remote). However, the 130 reportedly cannot be cross-flashed with 150 or 180 firmware, or vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page