Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #2281 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I've had luck with PNY 64GB and 128GB drives but you have to get their "Turbo Attache" model, not just plain "Turbo," "Turbo Elite," or plain "Attache!" How confusing is that?

Most of the PNY drives have a curved cover over the USB port, like this:
Avoid these!

The Turbo Attache models that have worked for me look different:

The 128 GB model works best. The 64 GB model seemed to work OK too, even recording HD, but I've also lost data with it, so make sure to back it up often. The critical spec, especially for HD recording, is write speed.

Unfortunately no one publishes their write speed. Everyone loves to brag about their read speed, but almost all these drives have plenty of read speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sure helped. Thanks to you both. The PNY that didn't work/crapped out looked like the first 1 in previous post.

dmatch

Last edited by dmatch; 11-23-2016 at 11:25 AM.
post #2283 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
Sure helped. Thanks to you both. The PNY that didn't work/crapped out looked like the first 1 in previous post.

dmatch
Been playing with hw150 for a while now and found that NO FLASH DRIVE works as well as a simple 2.5" usb drive enclosure and an old laptop hard drive. Yes its un-powered but works great for me using a 500gb drive even took the ntfs formatting already on it.
post #2284 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That was in response to a question about cross-flashing iView firmware onto a Homeworx:
My original response was yes, there are a few advantages; but there was also a fatal bug with CC on playback. I was just letting the OP know that there's now a version without that bug.
@JHBrandt looking at the rar file and there are 2 bin files present, I know when flashing the 150 in the past I always used a file called usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin of which there is one present but it is roughly half the size of the other file flash.bin

I am guessing the full flash.bin file is only needed on certain iView units and the usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin is the one we use on 150's.

Last note with this newest version fixing cc crash it really seems like there is no downside to using this in place of the 150's v5.3 since I have a universal remote that can emulate the iView or the homeworx

Last edited by Skitz1967; 11-23-2016 at 12:59 PM.
post #2285 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
@JHBrandt looking at the rar file and there are 2 bin files present, I know when flashing the 150 in the past I always used a file called usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin of which there is one present but it is roughly half the size of the other file flash.bin

I am guessing the full flash.bin file is only needed on certain iView units and the usb_upgrade_all_flash.bin is the one we use on 150's.

Last note with this newest version fixing cc crash it really seems like there is no downside to using this in place of the 150's v5.3 since I have a universal remote that can emulate the iView or the homeworx
Here's what I was told about that flash.bin file:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
The flash.bin can be deleted. It's a file only useful to the developers. I argued with iView for over a year to get them to stop including that file in the updates because it was confusing people, was useless, and I was writing endless replies to people that were trying to use it to upgrade their box unsuccessfully. They finally stopped and then evidently have started again with the latest version.
post #2286 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
That was in response to a question about cross-flashing iView firmware onto a Homeworx:
My original response was yes, there are a few advantages; but there was also a fatal bug with CC on playback. I was just letting the OP know that there's now a version without that bug.
Quote:
Good news! iView posted yet another version on their 3500STBII page, and unlike the 3200 version, this version does not lock up when CC is pressed. Also has the small improvements I described earlier, and fixes several other little bugs in the 3200 version:
Quote:
Here's what I was told about that flash.bin file:
So back to the original question .... now that cc is fixed it APPEARS that this version trumps 5.3 in every way with no disadvantages vs 5.3.... Do you agree?

UPDATE: So after all that I have determined I CANNOT use iView software. The remote control codes for iView conflict badly with my RCA television. For example if you hit the down channel button it will turn the tv off. Well back to 5.3 which I am happy to say is working great no issues at all though would have liked newer information screens and such

Last edited by Skitz1967; 11-23-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #2287 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree. Of course, if you don't like it for some reason, you can always go back to 5.3.

For me, the biggest advantage was the iView remote, which I really like. But since you're using a universal remote that will emulate either a HomeWorX or iView remote, that's not a big advantage for you. But the iView remote does have a few extra buttons, a couple of which (Aspect and PVR) you may find useful.

The second big advantage may or may not apply to you. If you have channels without a -1 subchannel (or if you've deleted or skipped the -1), the iView firmware lets you tune it by just entering a channel number. You don't get "Invalid Channel" if you leave off the -2 (or whatever the lowest subchannel is).

Finally, there's more info in the infobox, transparency for the menus, and a 12-hour time option. Those aren't "biggies" but are kind of nice.

There is one teensy-weensy downside: iView firmware doesn't have HomeWorX's "Power On/Off" scheduling function. But I've never heard of anyone who used that anyway.
post #2288 of 2299 Old 11-23-2016, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I've had luck with PNY 64GB and 128GB drives but you have to get their "Turbo Attache" model, not just plain "Turbo," "Turbo Elite," or plain "Attache!" How confusing is that?

Most of the PNY drives have a curved cover over the USB port, like this:
Avoid these!

The Turbo Attache models that have worked for me look different:

The 128 GB model works best. The 64 GB model seemed to work OK too, even recording HD, but I've also lost data with it, so make sure to back it up often. The critical spec, especially for HD recording, is write speed.

Unfortunately no one publishes their write speed. Everyone loves to brag about their read speed, but almost all these drives have plenty of read speed.
The Turbo Attache doesn't appear to be a current model. I recently bought a PNY Elite-X. It looks like all sizes have 185Mb/s speeds. Haven't tested it on a Homeworx yet, but should be fast enough for anything.

Considering the speeds we're talking about the ports on these boxes should be USB 3.0... but I didn't think they were.
Quote:
I agree. Of course, if you don't like it for some reason, you can always go back to 5.3.

For me, the biggest advantage was the iView remote, which I really like. But since you're using a universal remote that will emulate either a HomeWorX or iView remote, that's not a big advantage for you. But the iView remote does have a few extra buttons, a couple of which (Aspect and PVR) you may find useful.

The second big advantage may or may not apply to you. If you have channels without a -1 subchannel (or if you've deleted or skipped the -1), the iView firmware lets you tune it by just entering a channel number. You don't get "Invalid Channel" if you leave off the -2 (or whatever the lowest subchannel is).

Finally, there's more info in the infobox, transparency for the menus, and a 12-hour time option. Those aren't "biggies" but are kind of nice.

There is one teensy-weensy downside: iView firmware doesn't have HomeWorX's "Power On/Off" scheduling function. But I've never heard of anyone who used that anyway.
What's the advantage of flashing a HomeWorx with iView firmware over just buying an iView?

Last edited by DoctorM; 11-23-2016 at 11:42 PM.
post #2289 of 2299 Old 11-24-2016, 02:36 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
The Turbo Attache doesn't appear to be a current model. I recently bought a PNY Elite-X. It looks like all sizes have 185Mb/s speeds. Haven't tested it on a Homeworx yet, but should be fast enough for anything.
The Elite-X doesn't have a very fast WRITE speed so may cause problems? Some specs from PNY on the 64/128/256GB models:

Interface: Sleek and durable, USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Read Speed: Up to 185MB/s
Write Speed: 60MB/s
Capacity: 256GB [same write speed for 64 and 128GB models]
Compatibility: Most PC & MAC laptop and desktop computers with available USB 3.0 port. Backwards compatible with USB 2.0
Environmental Conditions:
Operating Temperature: 0° to 60° C
Storage Temperature: -25° to 85° C
post #2290 of 2299 Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 191
PNY has a real naming issue. P-FD256TBO-GE on their website is called their Turbo Attache 3: http://www.pny.com/turbo-attache-3-u...=P-FD256TBO-GE
On Amazon the same model is called PNY Turbo Elite, but if you dig into the description they call it Elite Turbo Attaché 3.
PNY doesn't officially give a write speed on these (which probably means they aren't fast) and reviews on Amazon vary (probably by capacity) from 30MB/s to 120 speeds.

So.... yeah.

Last edited by DoctorM; 11-24-2016 at 10:57 AM.
post #2291 of 2299 Old 11-24-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What Wajo said.
Quote:
Considering the speeds we're talking about the ports on these boxes should be USB 3.0... but I didn't think they were.
USB 2.0 is plenty fast, but all the flash drives I've seen with good write speeds are USB 3.0.
Quote:
What's the advantage of flashing a HomeWorx with iView firmware over just buying an iView?
If you're buying a new box, none. But if you already bought a HomeWorX and it's too late to send it back, flashing it with iView firmware will give you the same advantages at the much lower $10 cost of an iView or compatible remote control.

BTW, it should be noted that I have not tested iView firmware for bugs playing DD 5.1 sound. I don't have a system to test that.

Note that finding iView firmware that's compatible with a HomeWorX can be tricky. iView's newest firmware appears to be compatible with HW-150s and HW-180s running V5.x or V11.x only. It's not compatible with older HW-150s or HW-180s running V2.x or V8.x, even though they use the same SoC (a 7802). It won't brick them but the tuner doesn't work, rendering the box useful as a media player only. If that happens, you'll need V2.1 or V8.1 from Mediasonic to revert back.
post #2292 of 2299 Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitz1967 View Post
UPDATE: So after all that I have determined I CANNOT use iView software. The remote control codes for iView conflict badly with my RCA television. For example if you hit the down channel button it will turn the tv off. Well back to 5.3 which I am happy to say is working great no issues at all though would have liked newer information screens and such
That is too bad, although at least the iView firmware did work.

IIRC you had the same issue when you tried the oddball iView 3100, and had to send it back. Which makes sense, because even though its hardware and firmware are totally different, I think it uses the same remote as the 3200, which uses the same codes as the 3500.

And wasn't there an issue with the HW-180 remote too? That RCA TV seems to be very finicky about what other remotes you can use in the same room with it.
post #2293 of 2299 Old 11-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
The Elite-X doesn't have a very fast WRITE speed so may cause problems? Some specs from PNY on the 64/128/256GB models:

Interface: Sleek and durable, USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Read Speed: Up to 185MB/s
Write Speed: 60MB/s
Capacity: 256GB [same write speed for 64 and 128GB models]
Compatibility: Most PC & MAC laptop and desktop computers with available USB 3.0 port. Backwards compatible with USB 2.0
Environmental Conditions:
Operating Temperature: 0° to 60° C
Storage Temperature: -25° to 85° C
My wife has been using this thumbdrive to record her daily soaps, it has been flawless since June 2016.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read Up To 245MB/s; Write Up To 190MB/s
SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ80-064G-GAM46
DoctorM likes this.
post #2294 of 2299 Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
That is too bad, although at least the iView firmware did work.

IIRC you had the same issue when you tried the oddball iView 3100, and had to send it back. Which makes sense, because even though its hardware and firmware are totally different, I think it uses the same remote as the 3200, which uses the same codes as the 3500.

And wasn't there an issue with the HW-180 remote too? That RCA TV seems to be very finicky about what other remotes you can use in the same room with it.
Yeah the problem is rca tv's in general use the same code set as all these units
post #2295 of 2299 Old 12-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've started looking at these again for my mom because her vcr will ware out and tapes are getting hard to find. I'm looking at the company site and they have a 130, 150, 180, and 220. The 220 doesn't look interesting, but the 130 looks like a cross between the 150 and the 180. It doesn't have the extra composite outputs of the 150 (have no need for them) like the 180 and it has the USB on the front like the 150 (prefer it on the back). Anyone know any other difference between it and the 180?
post #2296 of 2299 Old 12-05-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
I've started looking at these again for my mom because her vcr will ware out and tapes are getting hard to find. I'm looking at the company site and they have a 130, 150, 180, and 220. The 220 doesn't look interesting, but the 130 looks like a cross between the 150 and the 180. It doesn't have the extra composite outputs of the 150 (have no need for them) like the 180 and it has the USB on the front like the 150 (prefer it on the back). Anyone know any other difference between it and the 180?
The differences between the 130, 150, and 180 are all fairly minor:
Quote:

• The 130 & 180 lack the 150's component video, and coaxial digital audio outputs. This was the decisive issue for me; I like having those outputs available.
  • The 130 & 180 use a smaller remote. Oddly, I like that remote a little better than the 150's remote. Even though it's smaller, it's easier to read the buttons. But the difference isn't that great.
  • The 180's USB port is in back. The other two have the USB port in front
  • The 130 & 180 have a hardware "channel 3/4" switch for the RF output (so I guess they don't support "loop-through;" but I recommend using a splitter vs. loop-through anyway)
  • The 130 & 180 have a "soft" power button that just puts it in standby just like the remote's power button. The 150's front panel has a "hard" power switch that physically disconnects power (like unplugging the 150)
  • The 130 uses an external "wall-wart" power supply. That could be an advantage: if the wall-wart fails, you don't lose the whole box
  • Depending on the firmware version, the 180 may have some minor quirks with entering channel numbers. Not sure about the 130, but the 150 doesn't have these minor bugs
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is not officially supported on the 180 (though HDMI audio can be set to Raw through the menu, and so DD5.1 may work anyway)
post #2297 of 2299 Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM

So basicly the 180 has the USB on the back and the 130 uses a wall transformer. Thing about power supplies failure is most likely going to be in the switch mode regulator which would be in the unit regardless of the transformer is in the unit or on the wall.

And component video is more a thing of the past unless you already have equipment that uses it and not HDMI.
post #2298 of 2299 Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the 130's wall-wart isn't just an AC transformer. It's a 5V DC power supply similar to a plug-in USB charger.

AC wall transformers are even rarer than component video these days
post #2299 of 2299 Old Today, 02:54 PM

I have noticed what seems to be false information on the Amazon website for these units/clones:
Edit: guess can't post links so look up the 150 or 180, etc on Amazon and look near the bottom at the comparison charts.

Tried to cut and past a bit from the chart near the bottom. They imply that they have some form of networking. They flat out say Wireless for the 150 and Ethernet for the AT103B. Looks like they are saying powerline LAN connection for the 180.

Also Internet Apps? Browser for the 150, Free Sat/Free View (whatever that is) for the 180, and browser for the 103. the only one in that chart that has networking is the SiliconDust being a dual tuner that sits on your lan but has no DVR function.

Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx

SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT

Mediasonic HW180STB HomeWorx HDTV Digital Converter Box

Digital Converter, Ematic Digital TV Converter Box with Recording, Playback, & Parental Controls [ AT103B ]

Price $32.99 $67.84 $34.49 $27.85

Connectivity Technology: Wireless No Wi-Fi Powerline Ethernet

Internet Applications: Browser Google TV Free Sat/Free View Browser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders