Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #2311 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Copying Video tapes to the HW-150PVR

My wife has some excercise tapes that I would like her to be able to watch using the HW-150PVR.
How do I record the VCR tapes to the HW-150PVR?
I could record through my computer, but I don't know what I need to get video into my computer.

Mikek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
My wife has some excercise tapes that I would like her to be able to watch using the HW-150PVR.
I could record through my computer, but I don't know what I need to get video into my computer.

Mikek
Connect the 150 antenna in to the ch3/4 out of the VCR. Tell it to record and start play back. We don't have a recording tuner box yet, but that "should" work. My mom has a bunch of old tapes she wants to save. So whatever we end up with, it needs to be able to do that. I'm just not impressed enough with these boxes. The software sounds like crap. They can't even put a proper grid guide up. That's software.
post #2313 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
You need a video capture device for your computer with a composite video input. The capture device should come with software, so all you'd need to do is hook up the VCR to the capture device with composite cables, run the software, and press Play on the VCR. It will record your video tape to a file on your PC.

Then, just copy the file to the HDD you use with your HW-150. You should be able to find and play it in the "Movie" section of the HW-150's USB menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
Connect the 150 antenna in to the ch3/4 out of the VCR.
That won't work. All VCRs output analog (NTSC) video, and the HW-150 doesn't have an analog tuner.

post #2314 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
After using a SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (recommended in a previous post) I find it started having recording drops/freezes/jumps after the disk got about 1/2 full. The more data stored the worse the recordings.
Quote:
The SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive I recommended, is still working fine, my wife uses it 5 days a week.

I will add (something I have told her she doesn't need to do) she will delete programs she has watched about once a week.

She is not tech savvy, I'm surprised she figured out how to delete, but maybe she is preventing problems by doing this. ??
Interesting (and contradictory) results. Surprisingly, deleting files shouldn't make a difference, unless the SanDisk's firmware is sophisticated enough to understand the file system you're using (so it "knows" whether a sector's data belongs to a real file or a deleted one).

Are the two of you using different file systems (one FAT32 and the other NTFS), perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
I do know, that when it did fill up, it would record over the oldest program.
I learned something new! I didn't expect the HW-150 firmware was sophisticated enough to delete old recordings to make room for new ones.
post #2315 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You need a video capture device for your computer with a composite video input. The capture device should come with software, so all you'd need to do is hook up the VCR to the capture device with composite cables, run the software, and press Play on the VCR. It will record your video tape to a file on your PC.
It's worth noting that most capture cards are intended for NTSC cable signals, not VCR signals, so if you capture a VHS tape this way, you may get an inconsistent framerate with dropped frames and a jumpy picture, because VCRs don't produce a very stable image. Some fancy VCRs can compensate for this and produce a more stable image, but AFAIK the best way to capture VHS is to use a DVD VCR combo unit that can record tapes to a DVD-R, as such a VCR is guaranteed to do this kind of compensation.
post #2316 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And by the way, if you use a DVD/VCR combo unit, you could just go ahead and copy the tape to DVD - then pop the DVD into a PC and use a program like MakeMKV to copy it onto your HDD. You'd waste a DVD for each tape that way, but the end result is the same - tapes copied to files on your HDD - and unless you have a lot of tapes, that may be cheaper than a capture device for your PC.
post #2317 of 2466 Old 01-02-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Connect the 150 antenna in to the ch3/4 out of the VCR. Tell it to record and start play back. We don't have a recording tuner box yet, but that "should" work.
[Retracted due to unit's apparent inability to receive NTSC ch3 from an outboard device like a VCR.]
That's not ideal however given the quality of the source material I have to admit I consider that a clever work around which will likely be perfectly adequate for this given scenario and most importantly it requires no additional purchases. Bravo for your suggestion. [If the VCR has an "edit mode" or switch it should be engaged also be warned if the tapes have a form of "copy guard" (such as Macrovision) the dubs may have issues such as changes in image brightness.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #2318 of 2466 Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
I guess you missed the post explaining that that method will never work, because the HW 150 can't record NTSC signals. It doesn't require any additional purchases but is also a useless thing to try doing in the first place.
m. zillch likes this.
post #2319 of 2466 Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Interesting (and contradictory) results. Surprisingly, deleting files shouldn't make a difference, unless the SanDisk's firmware is sophisticated enough to understand the file system you're using (so it "knows" whether a sector's data belongs to a real file or a deleted one).

Are the two of you using different file systems (one FAT32 and the other NTFS), perhaps?I learned something new! I didn't expect the HW-150 firmware was sophisticated enough to delete old recordings to make room for new ones.
I tried both FAT32 and NTFS w/ same results.

I should mention I was testing on an HD channel that runs about 13-14 mb/s. It only has 1 poor quality subchannel.

There are a lot of low bit rate subchannels and some other main channels that would probably record just fine. Perhaps that might explain the apparently contradictory results.

dmatch
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by dmatch; 01-03-2017 at 04:40 PM.
post #2320 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies RE: copying VCR tapes.
Her tapes were recorded off the air, so no copy protection is on them.
About the FAT32 or NTFS, I'm not really sure, been to long, if I was pressed I would say
it was probably NTFS.

When is someone going to hack one of these for video and audio in?
Mikek
post #2321 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably never. You are going to have to bite the bullet and buy some outboard gizmo that digitizes your VHS into files on your computer.

I have a high end one I like [Hauppauge HD PVR] which also does HD video but that's overkill and too expensive for VHS needs. I can't vouch for any other one in particular but here's a random example I googled up of the sort of thing you'd need and it's only $10, shipped:
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Aud...=vhs+digitizer

Read reviews since many people report compatibility issues with the drivers, on certain operating systems, when using these sorts of things.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-04-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #2322 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Probably never. You are going to have to bite the bullet and buy some outboard gizmo that digitizes your VHS into files on your computer.

I have a high end one I like [Hauppauge HD PVR] which also does HD video but that's overkill and too expensive for VHS needs. I can't vouch for any other one in particular but here's a random example I googled up of the sort of thing you'd need and it's only $10, shipped:

Read reviews since many people report compatibility issues with the drivers, on certain operating systems, when using these sorts of things.
I just checked out that link and the software for it doesn't support 64bit os. So must be older then win7.

This one https://www.amazon.com/LOTOS-Video-C...2NE48YP8M1N7ZP says up to win10. But these still tie up the computer.
post #2323 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

About the FAT32 or NTFS, I'm not really sure, been to long, if I was pressed I would say
Actually that question related to the SanDisk flash drives, not your videotape transfer question

Quote:
Mikek
Video in would take new hardware (NTSC chroma separation, A/D conversion, real-time MPEG encoder, etc.). That's why it's best to buy a PC gadget or VCR/DVD dubber that already has all the needed hardware. But audio in does exist (sort of): Check out the HW-220.
post #2324 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just checked out that link and the software for it doesn't support 64bit os. So must be older then win7.
I know this isn't a PC forum, but I'd think it would run fine in 32-bit mode. But maybe it's a 16-bit application! You'd certainly have problems with that (although I suppose you could still run it in a VM )

BTW, Windows has supported 64-bit CPUs since XP, and still supports 32-bit CPUs. You just need the correct "flavor" for your PC's CPU.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.
post #2325 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
IR Blaster not working on Tivo and other issues

Well, I tried to go to the official forums for my Homeworx, but it seems they are 'updating' and have been for the past 3 days. I purchased a HW-150PVR 3 days ago, and it has worked well up until today. My first issue was that I cannot get my TiVo (not tied to cable or a company) to be able to change the channels on it...Any idea how this can be changed?

My second issue just popped up today while trying to change channels on the system, there seems to be a 10 second or so delay. I push the channel up button on the remote, and it takes 10 or so seconds before the channel moves 'up'. Same with volume and every other button on the remote (The Homeworx one not the TiVo)

The Tivo not changing the channel is annoying but can be ignored for the time being, but the delay is very annoying. This problem just sorta popped up all of the sudden and after two days of flawless working. Let's hope someone out there can help, short of "Return it and get a new one"
post #2326 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milander42 View Post
Well, I tried to go to the official forums for my Homeworx, but it seems they are 'updating' and have been for the past 3 days. I purchased a HW-150PVR 3 days ago, and it has worked well up until today. My first issue was that I cannot get my TiVo (not tied to cable or a company) to be able to change the channels on it...Any idea how this can be changed?
Not personally, but someone on the iView thread was working on the same problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreatCornholio View Post
Thanks for the info. Tivo doesn't support this device. They have a list of devices that I'm sure is at least 10 years old. They aren't going to do anything for Series 2 owners, and as this is an old device and I have a lifetime subscription (so they can't make any more money off of me) and they want to "encourage" me to upgrade (they even recently removed the internet access apps, which really steams me as I liked to stream reggae on Live365 while cooking). Luckily, I found a web page showing it's possible to hack your Tivo and capture and put in your own IR translation file. I decided to go with the iView and got it today. I'll figure out the Tivo part later.
I don't know if he ever figured it out, or even if he follows this board any more, but you might send him a PM and see.
post #2327 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milander42 View Post
My second issue just popped up today while trying to change channels on the system, there seems to be a 10 second or so delay. I push the channel up button on the remote, and it takes 10 or so seconds before the channel moves 'up'. Same with volume and every other button on the remote.
The first thing I'd try is Edit: See next post.

The second thing I'd try is a cold boot: unplug it, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, try Menu / System / Restore Factory Default. You'll have to set your country, time zone, etc., and rescan your channels though.

If it still doesn't work, try reflashing your firmware. Email Mediasonic and ask them for the firmware for your box. Send them a pic of the serial number sticker on the back of your box so they'll send the right version. They should send you the firmware for your box (could be the same version you have or a later one). Follow the instructions for a firmware update.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-04-2017 at 06:04 PM.
post #2328 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The delay sounds like the homeworx is being fed into the TiVo - and the TiVo is running a bit behind live. Channel is changed -- but the delay is seen due to the TiVo buffer playing it seconds later. Same with the audio from the homeworx -- since it is happening when you adjust the box volume but not, I would bet, when adjusting TV volume.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2329 of 2466 Old 01-04-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I hadn't considered that, even though I experience a similar delay feeding my satellite receiver into my PC.
post #2330 of 2466 Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
The delay sounds like the homeworx is being fed into the TiVo - and the TiVo is running a bit behind live. Channel is changed -- but the delay is seen due to the TiVo buffer playing it seconds later. Same with the audio from the homeworx -- since it is happening when you adjust the box volume but not, I would bet, when adjusting TV volume.
Thanks for the info all, I'll look into the person who figured how to hack the TiVo for IR codes, might be able to get that done myself. The Roamio has it's own turner so it doesn't need the IR blaster to change channels.
post #2331 of 2466 Old 01-06-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

OK, I note this is not compatible with 64 Bit, so I found this.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500...+for+windows+7

Please walk me through, how I go about transferring the Video tape to a format put on the Flash Drive that will play on the Homeworx 150PVR.
I install the capture device and play the tape to record it in (some format??) on my hardrive, Then I copy that file to my Flash Drive again in (some format??)
I'm using a Flash Drive without problems, so far, (7 months)
I would get major kudos from the wife if I could get this done. :-)
Thanks, Mikek
post #2332 of 2466 Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I note this is not compatible with 64 Bit, so I found this.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500...+for+windows+7

Please walk me through, how I go about transferring the Video tape to a format put on the Flash Drive that will play on the Homeworx 150PVR.
Here is a generic overview. There may also be dedicated tutorials for your specific model, I'm not sure:

Quote:
I install the capture device and play the tape to record it in (some format??) on my hardrive, Then I copy that file to my Flash Drive again in (some format??)
Yup. MP4 might be a good format but I can't promise anything.

Do a short test video clip of say 10 seconds or so to make sure your new video capture device is recording in a format which when transferred as a file onto a USB thumbdrive will play back fine in your Homeworx. This way if it is a one hour long tape you won't waste an hour finding out something is amiss. There are many video formats out there and you have to find one which is compatible with your gear. Other than that I can't help you any further because I don't own your video capture device, its software, nor a Homeworx. If you need more help than I've provided you'll need to consult people that own the actual gear. Good luck.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-06-2017 at 12:37 PM.
post #2333 of 2466 Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are a several more-or-less standard A/V container formats. Your capture device will probably let you choose from several. If you choose to record in one of the following file formats supported by the HomeWorX, chances are it will play without any further conversion:
Quote:
.MP4
.MPG
.AVI
.DAT (listed twice in the firmware table)
.VOB
.MOV
.MKV
.DIV
.DIVX
.TS
.MPEG
.MPA
.TP (listed 3 times in the firmware tables)
.M2TS
.M2T1
.MPE
.TRP
.WMV
.3GP
.M4V, .RMVB, .RM, .ASF (may work; listed in one firmware table but not another; I haven't tried these myself)
.FLV
post #2334 of 2466 Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 PM

So I just picked up the 150pvr for a friend who is dropping Dish and going to a Plex-based system with only a couple of programs a week recording programs OTA. The 150pvr was chosen because he also has a need to have it integrated with the voice control of his XBox One. The 150pvr was the only one I found with confirmed proof online (in a YouTube video) that would work with the Kinect. Other boxes may also have worked -- but I didn't want to guess incorrectly. Testing it's capabilities before bringing it to his house this Friday evening was useful in my own assessment of whether it would work in my own goal to move away from TiVo shortly.

Initially my tests were with a spare 32 GB flash drive I had. Everything went great. Recording tests performed exactly as expected. I didn't have time to test daily or weekly recordings, of course, but everything else went smoothly. It occurred to me later (after I made the arrangement to bring it to his place Friday night for setup) that he may not have a hard drive to use. I found an old large AC-powered 2 TB hard drive I had and hooked it up to test. The results were ... less than hoped for. The time to access the drive was such that in daily use most users would find it unacceptable. Hitting the record button, for example, meant you could count nearly 30 "mississippi's" before the 'waiting' prompt cleared the screen and recording would actually start. This would clearly not be acceptable to them in normal use. The flash drive I initially tested with was instant response for tasks like button-initiated recording. Thinking that perhaps it was the age of the drive (it's giant by today's standards) - I then found a 3 TB portable usb drive that is newer. Those tests were even worse. Just starting out with remote-initiated recording never even completed. The relationship to hard-drive size vs time-to-access doesn't seem to work in the box's favor as size goes up.

I can complete the Friday setup with the flash drive - but will need to find a reasonable solution afterwards. I'm assuming based on the observations above that I probably don't want to go higher than 1 TB -- and if responsiveness to hard drive access is desired, maybe even no higher than 500 GB. I was thinking perhaps just getting an enclosure for a cheap internal drive would be a cost-effective way to move ahead. But I was curious as to other people's experiences with drives of various sizes. For responsiveness concerns, are my assumptions above reasonable? Do others have similar results?
post #2335 of 2466 Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM

30sec delay for any drive, even an old MFM, is too slow. Sounds more like a power save/sleep mode.
post #2336 of 2466 Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is likely that part of the delay was the HDD's spin-up time after the USB port powers up. 2.5" HDDs should perform better, although external power is nevertheless preferred. The best option is probably an externally-powered HDD dock that will accept 2.5" bare drives.

However, I have noticed long delays accessing a 1TB 2.5" HDD with many files. So it's probably also important to keep the number of files in any given directory to a reasonable number (say, no more than 30). That will take a PC since the HW-150's file management capabilities are next to nil.
post #2337 of 2466 Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What you are seeing is the wake from sleep/spin up delay you see with most drives/enclosures, especially green ones. I have my 1TB 2.5 inch portable/laptop type drive set to never spin down. There is little to no waiting time, and they have been running like this for years. I've filled them with close to 1TB and have not noticed delays.

You don't want to use a flash stick for any length of time as you will wear them out quickly. But you see instantaneous access because there is no wake or spin up delay.

A SSD drive is also another option, a little more money, but lower power, you don't have to worry about dropping them, and not that expensive in the 300-500 GB range, which is plenty for a couple 1-2 hour programs a week.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #2338 of 2466 Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I use a Western Digital 2 TB my passport drive for almost 2 years. Works very well with my HW 180.

Plug and play. Removed from box, plugged usb cable into the HW180.

When I intially set up a daily/weekly program. I change the start time to 3mins earlier. Same with end time. 8-10pm (757-1003pm)

L@@ks like this

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 01-25-2017 at 05:38 AM.
post #2339 of 2466 Old 01-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If anyone is considering a HW OTA STB.

Amazon currently has the HW130 for 24.95
post #2340 of 2466 Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
What you are seeing is the wake from sleep/spin up delay you see with most drives/enclosures, especially green ones. I have my 1TB 2.5 inch portable/laptop type drive set to never spin down. There is little to no waiting time, and they have been running like this for years. I've filled them with close to 1TB and have not noticed delays.

You don't want to use a flash stick for any length of time as you will wear them out quickly. But you see instantaneous access because there is no wake or spin up delay.

A SSD drive is also another option, a little more money, but lower power, you don't have to worry about dropping them, and not that expensive in the 300-500 GB range, which is plenty for a couple 1-2 hour programs a week.
I initially thought the same. Spin up time would explain the long period when I first press the record button. Assuming that was the cause, once recording started, I stopped the recording after a couple of minutes and then within just a few seconds started another recording using the record button. The drive is now not sleeping ... not spun down. But the same approx 30 second delay from pressing the record button to actual recording. It is like it has to scan drive contents first? The 3 TB complete failure may be due to being usb-powered and the low power capability of the box's port. I'm not sure.

Looking at the mediasonic forum - there are a few posts about various hard drives not working. One person even asked if they could get a list together of the drives that they know *do* work. May I ask the brand of the 1 TB drive you mention above? A 1 TB drive with little waiting time and good responsiveness would be a perfect solution for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page