Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #2341 of 2355 Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I use a Western Digital 2 TB my passport drive for almost 2 years. Works very well with my HW 180.

Plug and play. Removed from box, plugged usb cable into the HW180.

When I intially set up a daily/weekly program. I change the start time to 3mins earlier. Same with end time. 8-10pm (757-1003pm)

L@@ks like this

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 01-25-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2355 Old 01-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

If anyone is considering a HW OTA STB.

Amazon currently has the HW130 for 24.95
post #2343 of 2355 Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
What you are seeing is the wake from sleep/spin up delay you see with most drives/enclosures, especially green ones. I have my 1TB 2.5 inch portable/laptop type drive set to never spin down. There is little to no waiting time, and they have been running like this for years. I've filled them with close to 1TB and have not noticed delays.

You don't want to use a flash stick for any length of time as you will wear them out quickly. But you see instantaneous access because there is no wake or spin up delay.

A SSD drive is also another option, a little more money, but lower power, you don't have to worry about dropping them, and not that expensive in the 300-500 GB range, which is plenty for a couple 1-2 hour programs a week.
I initially thought the same. Spin up time would explain the long period when I first press the record button. Assuming that was the cause, once recording started, I stopped the recording after a couple of minutes and then within just a few seconds started another recording using the record button. The drive is now not sleeping ... not spun down. But the same approx 30 second delay from pressing the record button to actual recording. It is like it has to scan drive contents first? The 3 TB complete failure may be due to being usb-powered and the low power capability of the box's port. I'm not sure.

Looking at the mediasonic forum - there are a few posts about various hard drives not working. One person even asked if they could get a list together of the drives that they know *do* work. May I ask the brand of the 1 TB drive you mention above? A 1 TB drive with little waiting time and good responsiveness would be a perfect solution for them.

post #2344 of 2355 Old 01-26-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I wanted to let the HomeWorX community know about an interesting gadget I just bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNCVFL8. It's an HDD dock with both USB and WiFi access.

What makes it interesting for HomeWorX (or iView, etc.) users is that it switches WiFi access off/on when power is applied to/removed from the USB port. That means you can connect your HomeWorX to its USB port, and your HomeWorX will have exclusive access to the HDD when it's on (and say, recording) - but when it's off, anyone can access recordings on the HDD via WiFi. (There are even iOS and Android apps to stream videos from the HDD, but I haven't tried them yet so I don't know if they'll work with HomeWorX recordings.)

Now this doesn't turn a HomeWorX into a full-blown "whole-home" DVR - but the total cost of a HomeWorX, this dock, and a bare HDD is under $150, and this is an easy way to access your HomeWorX's recordings wirelessly for that little money.

I'm sure there are other access solutions that others have discovered. Please feel free to share if you've found one!

Edit: Although the user manual talks about both iOS and Android apps, I was only able to find the iOS app (MyAirDisk Pro). The Android version of the app doesn't seem to exist. (There are several with similar names, but they don't work with this dock.) Still, the iOS app does work, for the most part. I had a couple of apparent crashes when I tried to make a selection and my iPad just went back to its desktop, and I had to restart the app. Also, the app didn't support rotating the iPad to landscape mode, which was annoying. But it plays videos quite smoothly.
m. zillch, DoctorM and mdbratch like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-29-2017 at 04:08 PM.
post #2345 of 2355 Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are there any ways to un-brick a 150 from incorrect firmware yet? (I asked a few months ago too) Seeing if there's anything new. Thanks..
post #2346 of 2355 Old 01-27-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At one time I found an obscure article about de-bricking these MStar boxes: http://mstar.wikia.com/wiki/Debricking. But it requires hooking up the serial interface. If the boot loader still works, you could get in that way and replace the firmware.

Note: the article is about 7818 (DVB-T) boxes, not 7816 or 7802 (ATSC) ones. But I think the same instructions would work.

How badly bricked is your HW? Are there any signs of life at all?

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-27-2017 at 10:40 AM.
post #2347 of 2355 Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
How badly bricked is your HW? Are there any signs of life at all?
It powers up but nothing is displayed thru any of the outputs..
I'll check out that link.. Thanks.
post #2348 of 2355 Old 02-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
I just checked out that link and the software for it doesn't support 64bit os. So must be older then win7.

This one https://www.amazon.com/LOTOS-Video-C...2NE48YP8M1N7ZP says up to win10. But these still tie up the computer.
Ok old fart chiming in here... if you have a pc with an open pci slot (yes old i know) your best bet would be to find a used hauppauge 1600. They still pull their weight and run 64 bit no issues and can be had for cheap. You can even run the wintv 8 if you can find a specific iso for upgrading

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hauppauge-PC...wAAOSwo4pYjift
post #2349 of 2355 Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Record from HDMI source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmavam View Post
When is someone going to hack one of these for video and audio in?
Mikek
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Probably never.
Still true. But MCM Electronics is now selling an ATSC modulator with an HDMI input for $299: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-11980

Not cheap, but it's way more affordable than other ATSC modulators. Unfortunately, to get the price even that low, they had to make some compromises. Its output is just barely HD (720p @ 30 f/s) and the audio codec is nonstandard, so there are a lot of receivers it doesn't work right with. Luckily, though, the HomeWorX can tune its signal in and display it.

Can the HW record it and play it back? I'm 1-for-2 on that. An older HW-150 with iView V13 firmware didn't make good recordings, but a newer one with HW-150 V2.1 firmware records and plays back OK. (I believe the newer one works because it uses a 7802 chip; the older one uses a 7816.) But there's a problem with timed recordings: the modulator continually sends its own date & time, but there's no way to set the date or time, so tuning the HW to the modulator's signal disables timed recordings. (I suppose I could get the time right by plugging in the modulator exactly at midnight, but there's still no way to set the date correctly.) You could probably preset the HW to another station and make one successful timed recording, but you'd have to manually retune the HW afterwards. Probably best to just stick with manual recordings only.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-02-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #2350 of 2355 Old 03-19-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I wanted to let the HomeWorX community know about an interesting gadget I just bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNCVFL8. It's an HDD dock with both USB and WiFi access.

What makes it interesting for HomeWorX (or iView, etc.) users is that it switches WiFi access off/on when power is applied to/removed from the USB port. That means you can connect your HomeWorX to its USB port, and your HomeWorX will have exclusive access to the HDD when it's on (and say, recording) - but when it's off, anyone can access recordings on the HDD via WiFi. (There are even iOS and Android apps to stream videos from the HDD, but I haven't tried them yet so I don't know if they'll work with HomeWorX recordings.)

Now this doesn't turn a HomeWorX into a full-blown "whole-home" DVR - but the total cost of a HomeWorX, this dock, and a bare HDD is under $150, and this is an easy way to access your HomeWorX's recordings wirelessly for that little money.
Important note about the CableMatters HDD dock. While it works with my older (7816-based) HomeWorX, it doesn't work with my newer (7802-based) one!

I wanted to switch to my 7802 box because the old 7816 box won't correctly record (and therefore won't time-shift) the signal from the ATSC modulator I bought. The 7802 box records and time-shifts the modulator fine, but I have to use a different HDD, otherwise I lose network access to the HDD dock.

I've identified my HomeWorXes by their chips for convenience, but I don't think the chip is relevant. The problem is, with the newer HW, the HDD dock shuts down network access as soon as you plug in the USB cable! So there's something different about the USB ports in the two boxes.

It's possible the USB hub I'm using with the older HomeWorX is what makes that one work. But as my luck would have it, I glued that hub inside the case of the older HomeWorX, so I can't just move it to the newer one - and naturally, I can't find another hub identical to that one anymore.

I did try three other USB hub models with the newer one, but none fixed the problem. I can plug the HDD dock into any of the hubs without it disconnecting, but it disconnects as soon as I then plug the hub into the HomeWorX - even if the HomeWorX power cord is unplugged! How does it know?
post #2351 of 2355 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Leaving Box Powered On

So I have the HW150 installed in my friend's setup. They had very minimal recording needs - so the cheap investment vs a higher cost (but fuller-featured) recorder fit their needs nicely. Plus - since the HW150 is supported by the voice commands on their XBox One - they get the benefit of still having a nice looking TV Guide (using the OneGuide on the Xbox One) as well as full voice control for channel changes. Last night was the first big test - as the only program my friend's wife records (DWTS) had its season premiere. I stopped by to make sure everything was working correctly when I realized I failed to test one scenario. The HW150 is supported with the XBox One - but unlike the dish receiver that they dropped, the power command sent when the system is turned on and then off is simply a toggle command. The dish receiver had discrete power on/power off codes. It occurred to me that a likely scenario could be: Recording starts at 7:00 PM for DWTS (or some other program). Sometime in the next 2 hours - somebody comes home and turns on the system with the 'Hey Cortana' appropriate command. Kinect turns on the XBox One ... sends the TV Power On command ... and then sends the toggle to the HW150.

I had initially tested that a recording would be protected if somebody tried to change the channel. With that test successful, it didn't occur to me that the box would not protect a recording if the power toggle command was used through the system's remote control. I simply assumed it was a given that it would not turn the box off (or more accurately, stand-by) if a recording was in progress. Thankfully, I carried out this test before recording started - but then realized that my scenario described above was not only possible - but likely at some point in the future. After starting a test recording -- I hit the power button on the remote -- and watched as the box went into stand-by mode, thus killing the recording that had been started.

The only solution was to change the system 'on' commands that are sent from the XBox One -- eliminating the power toggle to the box. Since they all primarily use voice to control the system - they are not going to remember (nor will they have the desire to) use the remote for that one function when voice will handle everything else in the system. My thought was simply to leave the box 'on' all the time. It has minimal power draw. It solves the problem of the power toggle and the box not having the ability to protect or check for a recording in-progress if power toggle is received via remote.

The question: Does anybody else simply leave the box on? Any problems with doing so? The hard drive is still going to 'sleep' at the appropriate time - so I don't have to worry about hard drive 24/7 spinning. It's still being awoke correctly also. The hard drive is externally powered - so I don't have to worry about usb-port power issues. No observed problems from anybody just leaving the box on? I suspect that the 'on' state probably isn't that much different from the 'stand-by' state anyway, so I wouldn't expect any.
post #2352 of 2355 Old Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, it does draw somewhat more power when on. Not a whole lot, and the externally-powered HDD certainly helps, but heat buildup might still be a concern. So make sure it's well ventilated. I suppose you could even use a small laptop-cooler fan if you want to be absolutely sure it doesn't get too hot. (Of course, if it does fail, it doesn't cost much to replace.)

The only other problem I foresee is that the HDD sleeps even though the USB port stays active. The obvious trick would be to start recordings a minute early, giving the HDD plenty of time to spin up to speed and start recording before the show starts.

I don't see any other concerns. I think the HW will even turn itself on automatically after a power failure (mine does, at least).
post #2353 of 2355 Old Today, 01:33 PM

It's sitting in the open on a shelf in the TV stand (not locked behind doors or anything) - so I think ventilation is OK. Fortunately - I've already impressed on them the importance of padding the recording times both before and after -- since the PSIP for one of our local stations always insists that all programs start at XX:59 (or XX:29) and end at XX:59. (Or XX:29) :-)

To be honest - I was a little surprised to discover the power-off behavior while recording. I assumed that since the box was smart enough not to allow channel changing to ruin a recording that something like remote-initiated power toggle would also be protected ... so I never thought to check that scenario.

Ah well -- the box will be used for maybe only 1 or 2 recordings a week. And they get the voice integration and OneGuide capability for channel changing that was important to them. So overall a positive experience for such a minimal investment.
post #2354 of 2355 Old Today, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Another idea buy this https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HO...words=homeworx

You can set this one up with an attached hard drive for just recording any shows you like.

Use the other one to watch any tv channel you want as the other one records your shows at the same time.

For another 25 you end up with a dual tuner dvr.

I have used this setup for over two years. Works GREAT.
post #2355 of 2355 Old Today, 05:59 PM

Fortunately for them, they will never run into a tuner conflict. Like a lot of people now-a-days, they have gone to mostly streaming. The main concern with wanting something to record OTA was a concern about time-shifting (using pause on a program while answering the phone, for example). Actual recording will probably never be more than a couple of programs a week. Even if they want to watch another channel, I set the pass-through option in the menu. I considered getting a splitter - but decided to just try the pass-through option before adding the splitter. Surprisingly, the pass-through worked perfectly. So for those rare times when they would need it, it is available to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page