Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #2371 of 2377 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
5.3 does have the ability to show CC during recorded show playback. (Of course, the program has to have closed captioning - so prime time shows are good to test).
For my 5.4 test I would turn on CC, see that I had it on the live show, turn on the timeshift, and the CC would stop displaying. I also tried a similar test on a station. I verified CC was working, pressed record, let it record about 30 seconds or so. Immediately when I had pressed record, the CC stopped. When I stopped the recording, CC resumed. The playback of the recorded snippet also did not have CC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2377 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That would make it a deal-breaker for my friend's system. He has complained about the military time, but closed-captioning for his wife is an absolute must for their recorded programs. :-(
post #2373 of 2377 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am understanding the English speak very good

...but it's that epidemic of mumbling actors that often makes CC or subs necessary nowadays.
dmatch and DoctorM like this.

post #2374 of 2377 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 769
It sounds like the V5.4 beta is very similar to iView's latest firmware, which also adds a 12-hour time option.

On the iView, 12-hour time worked but wasn't perfect: Times from midnight to 1AM still displayed as 00:##am instead of 12:##am. Times from noon-1PM sometimes (but not always) displayed as 00:##pm as well.

Also, strictly speaking this isn't a "bug," but I thought the EPG display was confusing. The times are formatted ##:##-##:##am (or pm) but the "am/pm" refers to the first of the two times, not the second. So a show that runs from 11:30AM to 12:30PM would be listed as 11:30-12:30am.. I probably would have eliminated the "m" and listed it as 11:30a-12:30p, which would take the same number of characters but be less confusing.

For these reasons, I switched my iView back to 24-hour time. You might check your HomeWorX program guides for the same bug and quirk.

On all firmware versions I've tried for 7802-based boxes, including HW V2.# and V5.# as well as the latest iView firmware, closed captions work during playback but not when time-shifting. The latest iView versions, however, have a bug that sometimes causes the box to lock up and reboot if you try to use CC during playback. From what you said, it sounds like Mediasonic may have had CC during playback disabled to avoid the reboot issue. Please let them know it worked in V5.3 and some of us would miss it.
post #2375 of 2377 Old Today, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
On the iView, 12-hour time worked but wasn't perfect: Times from midnight to 1AM still displayed as 00:##am instead of 12:##am. Times from noon-1PM sometimes (but not always) displayed as 00:##pm as well.

Also, strictly speaking this isn't a "bug," but I thought the EPG display was confusing. The times are formatted '##:##-##:##am' (or pm) but the "am/pm" refers to the first of the two times, not the second. So a show that runs from 11:30AM to 12:30PM would be listed as 11:30-12:30am.. I probably would have eliminated the "m" and listed it as 11:30a-12:30p, which would take the same number of characters but be less confusing.
In the HW-150PVR v5.4 beta, time ranges have the AM/PM designator on both times, so you have '##:##[AP]M-##:##[AP]M' format for a time range, which is nice. Also, the afternoon seems properly designated as 12:xxPM. In fact, if you try to enter 00:xxPM it will auto-correct it as 12:xxPM. However, it likes 00:xxAM as opposed to 12:xxAM and will auto-correct that to the leading 00.

Last edited by mdbratch; Today at 07:58 AM.
post #2376 of 2377 Old Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Well, that's closer than iView: I could probably live with it if the only wrinkle is that midnight has to be 00:xxAM vs. 12:xxAM. Not bad for a beta version.

The only problem with leaving the m's in the EPG times is, that leaves fewer characters for the show title on the right, which was already pretty short even with 24-hour times with no AM/PM at all. (These screens have to be readable even on the composite output, so the number of characters across is going to be rather limited.)

On the closed captions, I've never understood why this has been so tough to get right. On the older 7816-based boxes, I understand they had it working during time-shift, but if you tried CC during playback it would just curtly flash "Invalid" at you. Then the 7802-based boxes came out, and we found CC now worked during playback - but didn't work during time-shift any more! And with the latest versions, they managed to break it in both cases You'd think they could combine code from the old 7816 boxes with code from, say, V5.3, and get CC working everywhere.

There's also a bug involving DD 5.1, but you'd have to own an AVR to test it.

As for that midnight bug, that one has existed since the very first boxes. I'd love it if they could finally fix that, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #2377 of 2377 Old Today, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
The only solution was to change the system 'on' commands that are sent from the XBox One -- eliminating the power toggle to the box. Since they all primarily use voice to control the system - they are not going to remember (nor will they have the desire to) use the remote for that one function when voice will handle everything else in the system. My thought was simply to leave the box 'on' all the time. It has minimal power draw. It solves the problem of the power toggle and the box not having the ability to protect or check for a recording in-progress if power toggle is received via remote.
So it turns out that my solution of leaving the box on to avoid the power toggle from the XBox One killing a recording is not going to work. I got a call tonight from my friend telling me that he got home this evening and discovered that the box was not recording. When he then manually tried to record by using the 'record' button from the remote, he got the 'unknown error' result. Doing a little trouble-shooting over the phone, he was able to access the drive just fine through the usb menu and play any previous recording on the drive. But even after doing that, he was still not able to initiate a recording. I had him toggle the box to stand-by and then back on using the remote and then try the record button again. Wallah! Recording started just fine. So the solution of leaving the box on doesn't seem like it is a workable solution. (Not to mention that when his wife realizes that DWTS didn't record tonight, I may find a hit being put out on me). :-)

The current plan is for them to simply see if they can live with having to use the remote to turn on the box when they want to watch TV. I get that to most of us, this doesn't sound like a big thing -- but I can certainly see it from their perspective where they have this sweet voice control setup that works with everything (including their old Dish DVR) - but now doesn't work with its replacement. I wouldn't care much for it either, if I were in their shoes.

I'm actually thinking about simply giving them one of my TiVo's. That would be a guaranteed solution that would work seamlessly with their system. Initially they balked at buying one themselves due to the cost - but my wife and I have been thinking about getting rid of our TiVo's this summer anyway. We're using Plex more and more -- and frankly TiVo is looking a little long-in-the-tooth lately with falling behind other's on features and performance. Add the recent Rovi problems after the transition and we're using it less and less. We had initially thought about waiting until late summer to see if anything interesting would be coming from the Mavrik line. If not - then we would sell the TiVo's and use the money to set up a bad-ass Plex server. But perhaps the better solution is to take the HW150 from him for our minimal recording needs (only the wife's daily chat shows that aren't online) and give him the friends and family discount on one of the TiVo's. Even if we move to a headless system with something under Mavrik or something integrated with a future Plex server - the HW150 could still live happily as a daily recorder or dedicated football time-shifter in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders