Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #2461 of 2469 Old 09-19-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Well, sounds like the 16GB Ultra just isn't working for you, even in SD Perhaps it's defective, or perhaps felf just got lucky with his.

Since the HDD works fine, I'd just stick with that for now. If you ever happen to buy a 32GB or larger Ultra, you might give it a try just to see if it does better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2469 Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
I can totally see him finding his niche doing that, LOL.

Thanks for all the research on flash drives. When I got my Homeworx a couple of years ago, I was initially disappointed how poorly USB flash drives often performed in it. Still debating whether to go flash or HDD, since I don't really have portability high on my sine qua non list.
Yeah, the Moooch seems to want to break into his third career in show business (last career lasted 11 days), he's following up his well-received hosting gig on TMZ with a guest host spot on "The View" sometime this week...

For me, I do most of my serious recording (and particularly editing) on my old PC that I now use exclusively as a media center with a 500GB internal drive and over 8TB of attached storage. I never liked using the various HDDs I tried with the iView for various reasons, and truthfully, the thing spent most of its five years of my ownership in a box with other unused junk electronics.

But just recently, when I found a flash drive that worked, I began using it on regular basis, in conjunction with the media center PC. It actually works a little better than the PC for recording and time-shifting "on a whim", so that's what I use it for.

--
max
post #2463 of 2469 Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, sounds like the 16GB Ultra just isn't working for you, even in SD Perhaps it's defective, or perhaps felf just got lucky with his.

Since the HDD works fine, I'd just stick with that for now. If you ever happen to buy a 32GB or larger Ultra, you might give it a try just to see if it does better.
If it doesn't work for plain recording SD, it's the worst flash drive I've ever heard of, since even the cheapest USB 2.0 drives I bought years ago with like 8GB for about $2 could do that...either that, or there really is some difference between Homeworx and iView...

--
max

post #2464 of 2469 Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreactance View Post
If it doesn't work for plain recording SD, it's the worst flash drive I've ever heard of, since even the cheapest USB 2.0 drives I bought years ago with like 8GB for about $2 could do that...either that, or there really is some difference between Homeworx and iView...

--
max
Eherberg has had some success with a 64GB Ultra on his HomeWorX, at least up to 720p:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I'm using the 64 GB Ultra with the homeworx (5.3 firmware) and so far it has been flawless. I've time-shifted in short batches with no issues (but I only have 720p stations with a max of 6 GB/hour). My big test was going to be yesterday time-shifting football for 3 hours to match up with the radio broadcast -- but unfortunately I forgot I had a concert to attend Saturday evening and was traveling back home during the broadcast on Sunday. So the big 3 hour timeshift test will now happen next Sunday. :-)
So at least one HW-150 with V5.3 firmware works with at least one flash drive (a 64GB Ultra). Also, Felf's iView works with a 16GB Ultra, again up to 720p. But that same 16GB model won't work with Skitz's HW-150 at all.

Skitz1967 may just be an unlucky HW-150 owner who got a lemon for his 16GB Ultra, but the frustrating thing is the inconsistency.
post #2465 of 2469 Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Eherberg has had some success with a 64GB Ultra on his HomeWorX, at least up to 720p:So at least one HW-150 with V5.3 firmware works with at least one flash drive (a 64GB Ultra). Also, Felf's iView works with a 16GB Ultra, again up to 720p. But that same 16GB model won't work with Skitz's HW-150 at all.

Skitz1967 may just be an unlucky HW-150 owner who got a lemon for his 16GB Ultra, but the frustrating thing is the inconsistency.
Yeah poor unlucky skitz....

Just confirmed the Western Digital blue 500gb drive will work unpowered in the usb enclosure I linked earlier. No issues at all even at 1080
post #2466 of 2469 Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, unlucky with flash drives, anyway....

But it's good to hear the Scorpio + USB enclosure works without external power. I figured it probably would, but as we learned with the flash drive, you never know for sure until you try it.
post #2467 of 2469 Old 09-24-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I'm using the 64 GB Ultra with the homeworx (5.3 firmware) and so far it has been flawless. I've time-shifted in short batches with no issues (but I only have 720p stations with a max of 6 GB/hour). My big test was going to be yesterday time-shifting football for 3 hours to match up with the radio broadcast -- but unfortunately I forgot I had a concert to attend Saturday evening and was travelling back home during the broadcast on Sunday. So the big 3 hour timeshift test will now happen next Sunday. :-)
Just a follow-up: Used the Ultra today with a lengthy time-shift. Found an audio stream of the Vikings radio broadcast that was about 15 seconds behind the OTA broadcast. Synced up the video/audio using chase-play with the Ultra on the Homeworx. With 3+ hours of reading and writing to the Ultra - it performed flawlessly. Worked perfectly for an extended period of read/write with the Fox 720p signal.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2468 of 2469 Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Well, unlucky with flash drives, anyway....

But it's good to hear the Scorpio + USB enclosure works without external power. I figured it probably would, but as we learned with the flash drive, you never know for sure until you try it.

OMG what was I thinking messing with thumb drives so long. Got that $8 wd blue 80gb and not had even a minor hiccup since I started using it. Its great that some of you got that ultra working but at least for me never had a thumb drive that worked 100% like the unpowered hard drives. Will keep following thread out of curiosity but I have found my working system and wont be changing it again
post #2469 of 2469 Old 09-27-2017, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Arrow Works on sister units from ViewTV AT263/AT300

I got a 64GB Ultra Flash, and used it with time shift, and several recordings for the sister units ViewTV AT-300 & AT263. Works well. It seems to work FASTER at starting the recording mode on AT300 timers than its sibling AT-263.

The 263 has a 2TB Seagate USB 3.0 $70 from Tarjaay too. I guess I need to get another stick and drive and play swap with each to see if its firmware or differences. These all are using MIPS based SoC's.

Or find a 7200 RPM USB drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page