AVS Forum banner

Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion

448K views 3K replies 285 participants last post by  JHBrandt 
#1 ·
hi,

you may post any questions / issues/ suggestions you may have about Homeworx HW-150PVR here

or in our forum
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewforum.php?f=44

HW-150PVR Firmware update V10
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/download/file.php?id=321

it fixes the following issues

* Time

* Recordings / Daily / weekly

* Page down in EPG

**Note: Due to not being able to get Program guide from QAM Clear channels, We decided to continue just to focus on OTA support, as we originally intended to do.

Edit: Sept. 09, 2013

New Remote Layout on new batch of HW-150PVR

due to customer's feedback, we changed the layout of the remote (no new button, just new layout)

If your HW-150PVR have serial # HW-150PVR13070001 and UP. it comes with a new remote layout "Timer" beside the "REC", This unit has V8 version of firmware and it contains same fix as V10, so you do not need to flash the firmware on it.

http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1811

ATTN: If you have V8 or V13 Firmware DO NOT install V10. Your V8 and V13 is latest for your unit, With same fixes as V10

V8, no firmware update required.

V10, no firmware update required.

V13, no firmware update required.

V14, no firmware update required

V1, no firmware update required

If your box come with different firmware then the above,please contact us and let us know which firmware you have now

V1 has a new Dome MSD1237 and comes with PAL disabled (don't think we use that in North America)

So whoever got V1, Do not think is old, cause V14, V13,V8 will not work with it

if you need QAM for V1

contact us

Stop chasing for firmware update ( there is no update)

if you box came with

V8 is the latest for your unit

V13 is the latest for your unit

V14 is the latest for your unit

V1 is the latest for your unit

all the above have the same fix as V10 (the only major fix we released)

if there any firmware update we will announce it

email us: rma_east AT mediasonic.ca

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23547426

Does MediaSonic intend to add QAM support to this or future devices?

Is it possible the HW-150PVR could gain QAM through a firmware update or would that require a change in the hardware?

hi,

We locked the QAM support, because we don't know if there is any legal issues regarding recording QAM channels in USA

QAM can be easily enabled with a firmware update.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23547472

What would be the point? Clear QAM is going extinct. They'd be better off developing features that people will be able to use for the forseeable future.

+1, that is true, In Canada, Rogers Cable QAM is encrypted, we just learn Cogeco Cable closed QAM channels as July 04

in USA I think some people are saying Comcast cable is removing QAM Channels

#7 ·
While it's possible some small cable companies may still provide clear QAM into the future for larger companies clear QAM is not long for this world. Because of all the "issues" with clear QAM I understand how Homeworx may want to just disable it and therefor not have to support it.

My guess is if one were to flash their Homeworx box with iView firmware it might enable QAM you'd also probably need the inferior iView remote and also live with it's current bugs, something I would NOT suggest, it would probably also void the Homeworx warranty

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23547587

While it's possible some small cable companies may still provide clear QAM into the future for larger companies clear QAM is not long for this world. Because of all the "issues" with clear QAM I understand how Homeworx may want to just disable it and therefor not have to support it.

My guess is if one were to flash their Homeworx box with iView firmware it might enable QAM you'd also probably need the inferior iView remote and also live with it's current bugs, something I would NOT suggest, it would probably also void the Homeworx warranty

The thing we want to avoid is unnecessary return of a good unit.

Say a user buy an unit goes home and scan for channels looking for QAM and doesn't find any. And he doesn't know his Cable provider is encrypting QAM or is not providing QAM

so he goes and return the unit and then write a bad review.

#10 ·

Quote:
We locked the QAM support, because we don't know if there is any legal issues regarding recording QAM channels in USA
There are many DVR's that can record CATV channels. Where on earth did you get that idea??

That's why it is called "clear" (or unencrypted) QAM

Reactions: tahoejoe
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23548254

The thing we want to avoid is unnecessary return of a good unit.

Say a user buy an unit goes home and scan for channels looking for QAM and doesn't find any. And he doesn't know his Cable provider is encrypting QAM or is not providing QAM

so he goes and return the unit and then write a bad review.
I totally understand that and IMO it makes sense. You may lose a few sales to customers who want(and could actually use clear QAM) but like you said, you'd probably get so many more returns that it wouldn't pay for itself.

Over the last several years more and more tunered devices(like TVs) are omitting the word QAM in specifications(even it they actually do support it) and my guess is it's for the reason you stated.

#14 ·
I have Comcast and they've done the 'major overhaul' thing to our service in the last year. They've even eliminated NTSC/Analog.

My QAM is still clear for all major networks. I watch QAM in HD on my TV. I can record QAM with my Funai DVR. It's available, clear, and yes, legal.

It is for many other people in the U.S.

Many people do not have Comcast.

Many people do not live in major urban area overrun by cable stealing criminals Comcast needs to thwart by scrambling basic channels.

Next year the FCC could ban scrambling of local channels over QAM.

Next year the FCC could introduce ATSC/QAM v2.0 to include H.264/5, 3D or 4k broadcasts making these units bricks.

To eliminate a current valid technology because it might not be useful to some people (or is offensive to trolls like Aleron Ives who feel a need to crap on other people's requests) is short sighted.

Support what's out there, not what some idiot's crystal ball says.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23548897

There are many DVR's that can record CATV channels. Where on earth did you get that idea??

That's why it is called "clear" (or unencrypted) QAM

The person that ordered the QAM to be locked thought that.

but anyways we can enable QAM with a firmware update, if it won't get us in any legal trouble

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23550202

The person that ordered the QAM to be locked thought that.

but anyways we can enable QAM with a firmware update, if it won't get us in any legal trouble
That seems strange. Do you know how many clear QAM capable devices are in the U.S.? I would guess it is in the millions.

#17 ·
Question for everyone (yes, silly question, sorry)...

I have a digital TV and when I attach an antenna, it works fine. But, I want the antenna to go through my AV receiver, so I'm looking for a box with HDMI out that will go through the receiver to the TV (so I can use my surround sound system.) Will this take a digital signal and pass it through unconverted? Both video and audio?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunge  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23550615

I have a digital TV and when I attach an antenna, it works fine. But, I want the antenna to go through my AV receiver, so I'm looking for a box with HDMI out that will go through the receiver to the TV (so I can use my surround sound system.) Will this take a digital signal and pass it through unconverted? Both video and audio?
You have worded your requirements strangely, but if you're asking only what I think you want to do (just "use my surround sound system"), then the answers are effectively "Yes".

But you might be able to get surround sound with your existing HDTV if it has a digital audio output (e.g. optical S/PDIF connector) from its tuner.

Regards

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551094

No. They live in some elitists suburb overrun with white collar crime stealing millions form the poor and unsuspecting.

Steal what?? Something that is free via OTA?? Give me a break. You should be more concerned about the trillions stole from us courtesy of the military machine, especially since 2001.
Cable that is totally scrambled has not grown at the rate expected. Comcast is leading, and Canada also has a few spots. It's much harder to measure than I first thought since unless you lose clear QAM you may not know it exists or even what it means. If you have a dish it's a non-issue also. I don't lose sleep over the problem myself. I think loss of analog will happen first since even with 24 vsb channels that's a lot of bandwidth a cable company can fill with stuff. More money can be made with MPEG-4 which will brick many devices.

If I was Homeworx I would skip cable. Too many variables. Even Walmart has dropped their smallest TiVo box to $99 and may drop the line since they get a lot of returns when cable people discover it costs more money to use it. Walmart doesn't indicate you need that service either. I think it's easier to buy a car than a DVR anymore.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23550990

You have worded your requirements strangely, but if you're asking only what I think you want to do (just "use my surround sound system"), then the answers are effectively "Yes".

But you might be able to get surround sound with your existing HDTV if it has a digital audio output (e.g. optical S/PDIF connector) from its tuner.

Regards

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. This box is listed as a digital to analog converter. If I take an HD OTA signal and use the HDMI out on this box to my TV, is the signal being converted from digital to analog and then back to digital, or is the digital signal passed through to my TV unaltered?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunge  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551395

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. This box is listed as a digital to analog converter. If I take an HD OTA signal and use the HDMI out on this box to my TV, is the signal being converted from digital to analog and then back to digital, or is the digital signal passed through to my TV unaltered?
Still too confusing. Try using "audio" and "video" before the word "signal". What model is your TV? Some pass digital audio out the optical port, some convert it to 2 ch stereo first but it's still digital audio. If your TV has HDMI inputs then there is no analog conversion (needed).

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551623

Still too confusing. Try using "audio" and "video" before the word "signal". What model is your TV? Some pass digital audio out the optical port, some convert it to 2 ch stereo first but it's still digital audio. If your TV has HDMI inputs then there is no analog conversion (needed).

Okay... I have an antenna I connect to my Vizio XVT553SV. I pick up the network channels in HD and they look good. Now I want to put this box in between: connect the antenna to it, and use the HDMI out of this box to my receiver, and then my receiver goes to the TV.

The signal from OTA is digital. Will this box convert that (video) signal to analog before sending it to my receiver, or will it keep it as digital? Or more specifically, will it convert the video to analog, then back to digital to send over HDMI?

#1,332 · (Edited)
Okay... I have an antenna I connect to my Vizio XVT553SV. I pick up the network channels in HD and they look good. Now I want to put this box in between: connect the antenna to it, and use the HDMI out of this box to my receiver, and then my receiver goes to the TV.

The signal from OTA is digital. Will this box convert that (video) signal to analog before sending it to my receiver, or will it keep it as digital? Or more specifically, will it convert the video to analog, then back to digital to send over HDMI?
No. I'm using the Homeworx PVR with feed from OTA antenna to my receiver via HDMI. The receiver then sends the audio out to my 5.1 speaker system and the video to my Vizio TV via HDMI. Works perfect. Homeworx calls it a "digital to analog converter" because it can convert a digital OTA signal to analog, via the coax/RF out connection on the back to an old analog TV. But for digital devices connected via HDMI it doesn't do any converting. For live TV via antenna or PVR recorded programs the default audio settings on the PVR work fine via HDMI. But it's also an excellent video file player, and many of my MKV video files have DTS audio, which the PVR doesn't support. But in the Options menu you can change the default PCM output setting to HDMI RAW, which sends the audio unprocessed to your receiver to process & decode. I leave it on HDMI RAW and let my Onkyo receiver process all audio.

I've had the Homeworx PVR for anround 4 months now and am very pleased, I think it's impressive what all it can do for the price.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunge  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551750

Does your receiver have an optical input? If it does, all you need to do is connect the optical out from your TV to your receiver.

To try to get audio from another device (like the Homeworx) is asking for trouble. There is a likelyhood that the video and sound will be out of sync.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunge  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551750

You started out by saying that you want to connect this box to your AVR. That makes it similar to a Blu-ray. So you plug the rf to this box and then you plug this box into an AVR HDMI input. The output of the AVR plugs into your TV. Two HDMI cables and you are done. Just select the proper input.

Your manual indicates "Outputs 1x 5.1 S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio, 1x Stereo Audio".

This should mean that the TV's TOSLINK connection supports DD 5.1 and I didn't see anywhere in the manual where digital audio is changed from 5.1 to 2.0 as is done by some televisions.

Personally, I feel there should be no difference in video when using the HW-150PVR. There should be no analog conversion anywhere anytime.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551165

Cable that is totally scrambled has not grown at the rate expected. Comcast is leading, and Canada also has a few spots. It's much harder to measure than I first thought since unless you lose clear QAM you may not know it exists or even what it means. If you have a dish it's a non-issue also. I don't lose sleep over the problem myself. I think loss of analog will happen first since even with 24 vsb channels that's a lot of bandwidth a cable company can fill with stuff. More money can be made with MPEG-4 which will brick many devices.

If I was Homeworx I would skip cable. Too many variables. Even Walmart has dropped their smallest TiVo box to $99 and may drop the line since they get a lot of returns when cable people discover it costs more money to use it. Walmart doesn't indicate you need that service either. I think it's easier to buy a car than a DVR anymore.

Well, wallyworld still sellt the now useless boxxee could dvr boxes, at least locally here in Michigan.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion#post_23551165

If I was Homeworx I would skip cable. Too many variables.

QAM is here, current and legal. For anyone that doesn't want to tune QAM just STFU.

If my cable company removed QAM I'd be sad but wouldn't care that a less than $50 device stopped working.

My main TV is in a room with thick concrete walls, gets no OTA signals and I can't stick an antenna outside.

I don't want ATSC. Homeworx should remove that too. Just turn it off in a firmware update, it's useless for some people.

OH wait, on second thought it might be stupid to have Homeworx decide not to support other people based on what I want.