Help! TIVO series 2 and HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,
I have a Sony wega that just fried. I was using. TIVO series 2 with it and HDTV is all new to me.
HDTV happens through HD cable box, right? So I would need a new cable box and a new TV.

I suppose I could use the old box with the HDTV, but my cable box only has RCA outputs and what I understand is most new tvs dont have rca inouts any more. Besides the old box with a new tv will probably look pretty bad, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
a few more issues....if I cant get the new tv to work with the old box, and am forced with getting a new HD box....can I still use the TIVO or no?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 419
A series 2 TiVo can't do HD; you need at least a series 3 TiVo for that. The type of inputs you can get on an HDTV depends on what "tier" of TV you get. In general, smaller screen sizes are more likely to have older analogue inputs, while larger screen sizes are less likely to have them. If you want HD, you need to at least have component outputs on your DVR, although HDMI is more common now. Either way, your current TiVo predates HD and can't utilise it. You can get HD for free with an antenna, but cable companies often make you pay an extra monthly fee to access HD channels.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
If your new TV doesn't have RCA inputs, you could use a RF modulator to change the composite signal to analog RF and use the HDTV's analog tuner.

They are about $20 or you could use the one in an old VCR/tuner.

But the quality will not be that great, especially if you get a large screen TV.

Pretty cheap to try out though. If you go this route, check to see if you can watch your local channels in HD using either an antenna or a direct connection to your cable line.