New to OTA. I have some questions about recording.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have done a little research, and was thinking about using a tuner card in one of my pc's and window media center for recording.

Each TV in my house has either a PS3, XBOX or PC connected to it. I would like to know if there are any better options, or will this work well for me. I will have my coax come in, split to the PC and main TV, then hopefully access live broadcasts and recorded show on my other TV's via streaming.

Does it work well like that, and is that a reasonable way to feed the signal through my house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167

It can be one of the best resolutions. Based on the above I'd make a few suggestions or comments.

• Four tuners minimum - I'd recommend HDHomeRun external tuners you connect to your network. Programming often is pilled up on one night such as Sunday and Monday. Where other nights there is nothing and add in watching other shows live while you are recording and tuners go quickly.
  • WMC can stream (very nicely) to the Xbox however the PS3 not so much.
  • PCs can stream recordings from a WMC PC with a few restrictions compared to the Xbox. Of course they can handle live TV or recordings themselves.

I'd check out the thread linked in my signature as it should give you a good overview of the process.

Parrelium likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I read through that, and it looks great. I am still a bit confused about my set up then.

Basically I have a Phillips antenna currently plugged into the coax on the back of my TV.

I have no coax in the house except from the antenna, house is wired for CAT5e.

So do I just go [antenna-power injector-3 way-splitter-Hauppauge WinTVhvr2250+TV]?
Then can I broadcast from pc to each xbox in the house using WMC?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrelium View Post

So do I just go [antenna-power injector-3 way-splitter-Hauppauge WinTVhvr2250+TV]?
Then can I broadcast from pc to each xbox in the house using WMC?

More or less. There is really no reason to connect the antenna directly to your TV outside of having one more tuner (the TV's) which of course you can only watch live... I watch live perhaps 2% of the time. Commercial delayed more than any other... start viewing after the recorded buffer exceeds the total time of commercials.

One last plug for external tuners. Especially, if you plan on having multiple displays including other PCs. You can use the tuners independently of the main (server WMC HTPC). This way if for any reason the main PC is offline you can still watch TV at any of the other PC locations and even record. I know many are happy with built-in tuners just conceptually I'll avoid them if possible. Two or even three tuners aren't going to be near enough anyway if you begin to really use various sets around the house.

Regarding the second part yep... all you do is register each Xbox with WMC and you are good to go. Pretty much whatever you can do via the main HTPC you can using the Xbox. Within the TV scope of WMC. I don't rely on wireless (again avoiding it if possible) but I had success in using it throughout the house with the Xbox.

Best bet is to install WMC and give it a go... quickly you'll discover a few issues unique to you and several not so much. Overall it simply works.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

We have 3 tv's in the house. Currently the main TV is used 95% of the time for all of us. Another in the basement is used for my son. He watches mostly netflix and plays video games. I honestly haven't seen him watch TV in a long time. Our third is our bedroom TV. It gets used very rarely, mostly for watching DVDs on lazy days The main TV currently has our PC, PS3, XBOX, Wii,Cable STB, OTA antenna and theater receiver.
I see people using HDHomerun.. What purpose do these boxes serve? Are they an STB for OTA, or are they PVRs? Or do they just convert the OTA signal for broadcast over my home network.

As I was saying previously I do not have any RG6 strung in my house, it's all ethernet. Will I have to run coax to the three locations to use external tuners?

I am going to pick up my Hauppauge Wintv2250 today, and mount my antenna properly on the roof. I guess I'll be back later if I still have any other questions. I just wanted to make sure this kid of setup would work before I spent more money.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrelium View Post

I see people using HDHomerun.. What purpose do these boxes serve?

Will I have to run coax to the three locations to use external tuners?

The HDHomeRun serves the same purpose as the internal tuners... WMC uses them to tune to the various channels.They send the OTA signal over your network the same way WMC sends your show to the various extenders (such as the Xbox). The only coax required is to the tuners you will be using. Everything else is passed over your network either wired or wirelessly.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That’s the beauty of the HDHomeRun, it doesn’t need to be anywhere near your HTPC or TV, it just needs to be on your wired network. Also having it as close to your antenna for the shortest possible RG6 run will minimize signal strength degradation for better performance. About a year ago I realized I needed more than one tuner. I upgraded from a single tuner DViCO FusionHDTV PCI card to the HDHomeRun Dual. It has two tuners but only one coax connection. If I ever feel the need for more tuners, I’ll simply put a splitter on the coax and add another HDHomeRun to the network. It seems to be as sensitive as the DViCO card, plus the software seems more stable.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Speaking of the HDHomerun, we are getting past the "mid" in "mid-2013", and there is still very little information about the new models. Has anybody heard anything? Google searches don't provide much.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page