Australian Topfield DVR - of any use in the US? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been living in Australia and have an amazing Topfield HD DVR: http://www.itopfield.com.au/product-detail.asp?idx=242

I'm moving back to the US soon - is it worthwhile to bring it back with me?

That is, will it work in the US, if even in limited capacity? eg. if the guide feature wouldn't work, maybe I'd still be able to manually set the recording time/channel? I'd be looking to use with Direct TV, or even just the broadcast channels.

Its DVB-T. So if necessary, would it be possible to switch out the tuners for better functionality?

This is what the back inputs/outputs looks like: Topfield back.jpg 123k .jpg file

I've done some research and there doesn't seem to be any non-subscription DVRs in the US. Now that I've had it, it seems like a rip-off to pay for a subscription!!

Thanks for your help smile.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topfield back.jpg (123.3 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn212 View Post

I've been living in Australia and have an amazing Topfield HD DVR: http://www.itopfield.com.au/product-detail.asp?idx=242

That is, will it work in the US, if even in limited capacity? eg. if the guide feature wouldn't work, maybe I'd still be able to manually set the recording time/channel? I'd be looking to use with Direct TV, or even just the broadcast channels.

Its DVB-T. So if necessary, would it be possible to switch out the tuners for better functionality?

This is what the back inputs/outputs looks like: Topfield back.jpg 123k .jpg file

I've done some research and there doesn't seem to be any non-subscription DVRs in the US. Now that I've had it, it seems like a rip-off to pay for a subscription!!

Thanks for your help smile.gif

DVB-T is not use in US, US use ATSC. AUS electronic good is more expensive, usually double US price. After sold your in AUS, you may get a new one in US. Direct TV may bundle Dvr with subscription. Check out others

For Non-subscription DVR, for OTA(antenna) working cheap dvr is homeworx HW-150PVR $40USD for one atsc tuner. For two tuner is PHD-VRX
check URL http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread

The above need are not perfect, need firmware update and not user friendly key sequence.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Your options for a functional DVR are a used DTVPal/CM-7000 Pal or a TViX 6620, pretty much. Australia has superior DVR offerings to the US, so you'll probably be stuck with an inferior experience no matter what you do, unless you stay in Australia or move to Europe, which also uses DVB-T. wink.gif
Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn212 View Post

Hi kathryn; I know how you feel recording 4 channels at once with my toppy 2400 comes in handy more than I expect . I also have a tvix slim 1 duo [non US] which is similar I believe to the 6620 mentioned by aleron and while it doesn't have icetv auto timer record it has a nice 2ch epg for manual time setting with weekly etc options . The nice thing is you choose what size hard drive to buy with it ; 2tb takes buckets of shows smile.gif Its also a better media player than the 2400 ; it's processor can handle h264 files if they have flac/wav sound so is quite powerful and mine was easy to setup with nfs or samba if needed ?

You still have ad skip and padding for shows running over time or early and its if anything more intuitive to run than the toppy once you get past the manual rolleyes.gif Hope you get to use ota service and not pay if avoidable cool.gif

http://www.amazon.com/M-6620N-Wireless-Network-Player--INCLUDED/dp/B002WVJILC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375634590&sr=1-1&keywords=tvix+slim+s1+duo
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would recommend a Tivo with the lifetime subscription. If you are only going to be an ota user, then the 2-tuner Premiere would be for you (it also works with cable). The two 4-tuner models are cable, using a cable card, only models. The Tivo offers a full 12 day guide and doesn't depend on iffy PSIP data. You can buy a refurbished 2-tuner model with lifetime guide subscription for $600 from Tivo. Tivo also has special deals available from time to time. Look at their site for more info.

You can also go the Windows Media Center route using a pc. You can go to the Home Theater PC section here at AVS Forums to get more info on those. They work really well, but they aren't for everyone. I happen to have a 3-tuner HTPC-based dvr and a 2-tuner Tivo Premiere for my ota recording needs. The pc solution can record off of ots, "clear" QAM and cable card (depending on which pc tuner(s) you buy.

There is also Simple.TV. It is a networked dvr that uses a Roku player to watch your recordings with. You can use it without a subscription, but they also offer subscriptions (1 year and lifetime) if you want a real interface. It only has one tuner though. And if you get more than one box to record more than one channel at a time, then it is more expensive than a 2-tuner Tivo Premiere. It can record ota or "clear" QAM cable channels.

If you're going to go with a satellite provider, then you have to use their equipment. No 3rd party choices with them.

In my opinion, the other dvr's available in the US can be glitchy and won't offer the full features dvr's like Tivo, Simple.TV or Windows Media Center have. I bet you wouldn't be happy having to record using a vcr-like interface. Remember, when you pay $40 for a dvr, you're going to get what you pay for.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks guys, very helpful!

i'm selling the topfield DVR before I go, and will look into your suggested options when i'm back.

cheers!