DVR with usable files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a DVR I can use to record but also transfer the files to my pc for editing/archiving on bluray, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Umm, TiVo. smile.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #3 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I second the TiVo suggestion -- this is something I do all the time with my TiVo. An alternative, if you are looking to just capture, archive and watch later, is to put an HDTV tuner on your network (HD Homerun) and directly capture the content to your PC for editing/archiving/streaming etc. I do both: TiVo transfers and media-PC/HD Homerun captures.

But, it only works if the content you are recording is not copy-protected. All OTA content is not copy-protected. As to cable content, that depends on the policy of your cable company -- some protect only the premium and PPV content and others protect everything. If you are talking satellite, you are in a different ballgame altogether.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Sweet, so Tivo files can be transferred to a computer and edited then? Do you have to pay a subscription fee for Tivo?
post #5 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have mentioned that I have Directv and all of my content would be coming from that.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

Sweet, so Tivo files can be transferred to a computer and edited then? Do you have to pay a subscription fee for Tivo?
Tuners and capture cards for PCs also work well and do not require a subscription.

Last time I checked, Tivo was $15/month with a 1 year commitment or $20/month with no commitment or $500 for lifetime service. The Tivo hardware itself is also a few hundred dollars.

I've read that you can also transfer files from a Moxi box.

PC tuner card users often use a program that edits out all commercials automatically. That would be much easier and less time consuming than transferring and editing yourself. I personally find the skip button works very well and takes the least overall effort of any of the above options.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I guess I should have mentioned that I have Directv and all of my content would be coming from that.

I believe you might be SOL . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #8 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Then forget TiVo or PC tuners. You are locked into D*-supplied equipment which does not support file transfers. The option for satellite is not nearly as convenient as an unattended file transfer. You would have to start with renting their HD-DVR to make the recordings. Then you buy a Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 or an HD PVR-2 1512 capture device and hook it between your DVR and your PC using component out and optical out from the DVR (see the Hauppauge website for product details and connection). To make the content transfer you have to play the content from the DVR and capture it in real-time using the HD PVR to encode the signal and send it to your PC.

A lot of hands-on manipulations and your content doesn't stay in the digital domain -- it gets converted to analog component to leave the DVR, then re-digitized by the HD PVR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Dang that sucks there isn't a viable ready made option.

I had forgot about pc capture cards. Is there one that I can connect to the hd component outputs of the directv receiver to record in real time? Maybe one that will connect to the component outputs and the optical audio output so I could get surround sound and hd video while leaving the tv connected to the directv receivers hdmi?

Or is there a card for the pc that will connect to the directv receiver's hdmi output to record hd video and surround sound, and also pass that through to its own hdmi output which I could connect my tv to?

What software would one use with something like this, if such a thing even exists?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just told you about the HD PVR. If you want a card that goes in the PC then look at the Hauppauge Colossus.

- kelson h

post #11 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I just told you about the HD PVR. If you want a card that goes in the PC then look at the Hauppauge Colossus.
Oh okay, sorry I thought someone said that wouldn't work with Directv so I didn't look into it.

After looking into it, that HD PVR appears to be exactly what I need. Thanks. I'll probably grab one of those.

Any particular software I should use our does it come with everything I'd need?

This probably doesn't exist, but is there something like that I can plug into my Directv receiver, but instead of connecting to the pc through USB it connects to the pc through my home wifi? That would be totally perfect, lol.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:

Oh okay, sorry I thought someone said that wouldn't work with Directv so I didn't look into it.

After looking into it, that HD PVR appears to be exactly what I need. Thanks. I'll probably grab one of those.

Any particular software I should use our does it come with everything I'd need?

This probably doesn't exist, but is there something like that I can plug into my Directv receiver, but instead of connecting to the pc through USB it connects to the pc through my home wifi? That would be totally perfect, lol.
Yes, I've use an Actiontec MyWirelessTV for a similar purpose. It uses it's own wifi, not yours. It only works with HDMI, so you'd need a card with HDMI inputs. Nothing may work on copy protected premiums like HBO, etc., however.

I personally find that a DVD/HDD recorder is much easier to use for archiving DirecTV. It's not HD, but is very good commercial DVD quality and does not require a computer and all the time and expense associated with it. I've effortlessly made hundreds of backups that way over the years. Doing it on a PC would have taken a lot more time and effort.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Take a look at this thread.

- kelson h

post #14 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Is there a DVR I can use to record but also transfer the files to my pc for editing/archiving on bluray, etc?

If you use antenna and want to spend only $50, don't mind to have basic PVR/DVR like VCR. Look at HomeWorx HW150PVR with V10 or later firmware. It record to USB drive or fast USB flash drive with .mts files.
You can use window7 Microsoft medium to watch them. Usually is 1.3G per hour of record.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

If you use antenna and want to spend only $50, don't mind to have basic PVR/DVR like VCR. Look at HomeWorx HW150PVR with V10 or later firmware. It record to USB drive or fast USB flash drive with .mts files.
You can use window7 Microsoft medium to watch them. Usually is 1.3G per hour of record.
Read back a few posts where he says he has DirecTV.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page