Wired, MoCA or wireless TiVo –My Old House - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to turn in one of my Comcast DVR and save some reoccurring monthly fees. Yes I understand that I’m going to drop XL4 $274.85 + $499 Lifetime to save $17.95 per month, let’s just say I hate Comcast that much!

So this is where I’m stuck, on wired Ethernet, MoCA or wireless. My house was built in the 1950’s and only cable and telephone are currently wired. Is Wireless and OK option? I’m going to start by putting a TiVo in the Master bedroom and it’s right next door to the bedroom that has a computer and router. The downside is our attic is mess, thick blown in insulation and I just don’t have the time to muck with it. But if “must” I will…

So if you go wireless what’s the risk? Channels change slower? Lock up? Miss a recording?

MoCa sort of mystifies me the TiVo site makes is sound like it’s the same as Ethernet but I’m smelling signal drop, or something it just sounds too good to be true!?

Also I live outside the Philly region and I’m supposed to be able to get a TiVo that will play Xfinity on demand stuff, does that mean Comcast has their eyes on TiVO??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I use Wireless-N and MoCA to connect 4 TiVo XL's to my network. My cable modem and primary router are located upstairs at the far end of the house. I use Netgear MoCA adapters to connect a secondary router (configured as a Wireless Access Point downstairs and within about 25 feet of two of the TiVo's. The third TiVo is about 35 feet from the downstairs access point. The fourth TiVo is upstairs about 30 feet from the upstairs router. I have the MoCA adapters using a dedicated coax.

You'll still need RF coax to the TiVo regardless of how you connect the network to receive your cable (with CableCard) or antenna programming. Wireless-N works fine for the network as long as you get a strong signal to the TiVo. Channel change speed, missing recordings, etc. has nothing to do with your network connection.

MoCA works flawlessly for me with my Netgear adapters.

I know nothing about Xfinity.....

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #3 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

You'll still need RF coax to the TiVo regardless of how you connect the network to receive your cable (with CableCard) or antenna programming. .....

Thanks! But if understand MoCA correctly it would just use the same cable that runs to the TV? I don't need a separate cable, don't need to run new lines right? That's what seems confusing I would think "where" I tie into the system would matter?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yes, the MoCA signal can reside on the same coax as the RF signal (with a few caveats). But in my case I already had an existing unused coax run to the family room wall opposite of the wall where my big TV is located. That location provided a central location for my downstairs wireless access point. Upstairs it was easy to get the other end of that same coax connected to the MoCA adapter located at my primary router. You can find additional information about MoCA in this forum . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, sounds like MoCA is a Godsent, what rock have I been living under!?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Strega: if you haven't already purchased the TiVo wait for the series 5. Just cleared FCC so should ship in the next few weeks.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page