TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #301 of 756 Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

For someone who's not comfortable with doing his own storage hard drive upgrade for fear of bricking it- Is there a service you guys recommend that I go with?

It is really, really easy to do yourself - as commented previously. But if you're not comfortable with it, www.weaknees,com is reportedly a good place for this sort of thing. I've never dealt with weaknees, but they appear to be well thought of. Note that you'll void your ability to get any warranty work done from Tivo, if you replace the hard drive yourself (I've a lifetime service subscription on a 6 year old TivoHD that died and cannot get them to fix it because I replaced the HDD).

You also might want to explore getting an external HDD expansion drive from Tivo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I definitely don't want to risk voiding the warranty especially since I have PLS on it. I'm assuming that Tivo will know that the hard drive was switched at some point even if you sent it back with the original hard drive by running some kind of diagnostics on it.
post #303 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I definitely don't want to risk voiding the warranty especially since I have PLS on it. I'm assuming that Tivo will know that the hard drive was switched at some point even if you sent it back with the original hard drive by running some kind of diagnostics on it.

why do you think if you find a service that will swap drives for you will not break the warranty? regardless who does it, swapping the drive before the 90 day warranty breaks the warranty. Wait till the 91st day to swap the drive, you wont have warranty anymore (unless you got the extended). besides, tivo doesnt care that you swapped the drive.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #304 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

why do you think if you find a service that will swap drives for you will not break the warranty? regardless who does it, swapping the drive before the 90 day warranty breaks the warranty. Wait till the 91st day to swap the drive, you wont have warranty anymore (unless you got the extended). besides, tivo doesnt care that you swapped the drive.

Tivo knows if you've got a different drive almost the moment you swap it...via the Internet.

Tivo does kind of care if you swap the drive. They don't drop your subscription, but they also will not allow you to swap the box if it breaks. A few years from now, if your Tivo breaks, Tivo will send you a replacement box (for a price) unless you have swapped drives. They will not do it if you have swapped drives. I have no idea what the replacement cost might be, but lets assume it is $150 for the 4-tuner Roamio. Obviously, this is really only an issue if you have a lifetime subscription. $150 for a (probably) refurbished Tivo is no bargain, but $150 for one with a lifetime subscription was a great deal.

I mention this because it actually happened to me. My 7 year old TivoHD started acting up and they would not transfer my subscription to a replacement box. That is why I'm going to try to use an external drive with my Roamio.

That said, I'd not hesitate for a second to swap in a 3 TB drive if I didn't have a lifetime subscription. There is minimal downside in that case.
post #305 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

A few years from now, if your Tivo breaks, Tivo will send you a replacement box (for a price) unless you have swapped drives. They will not do it if you have swapped drives. I have no idea what the replacement cost might be, but lets assume it is $150 for the 4-tuner Roamio.

I mention this because it actually happened to me. My 7 year old TivoHD started acting up and they would not transfer my subscription to a replacement box.
Others may comment but I don't think they would have swapped your lifetime sub of a 7yr old TiVo into a replacement box even if you had not replaced the HDD. I believe they only offer that if your TiVo breaks within a couple years of purchase and there is a sliding fee scale that increases as the box gets older. But as I recall, after 3-4 yr that transfer opportunity ends.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #306 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You are right, Kelson. I forgot that. My TivoHD had a tough life, going from home to home. I initially paid for the first 3 years, then sent it to my brother for 3 years. He sent it back to me after another 3 years and I activated it a year after that and signed it up for a lifetime subscription. I had 3 years from that point to get the replacement. The good news is that I'd acted quickly enough so the lifetime subscription was refunded to me.
post #307 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

This brings up the question of warranty. I've never even considered getting one for all my other electronics but I'm now wondering if this should be the exception. The fact that my roamio runs 24-7 and that I'm sitting on a $700 investment I think is compelling enough to spend the $40 or so for the 3 year tivo extended warranty. I have about a month or so before the 90 day warranty expires.

Thoughts?
post #308 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

That depends. I was refused warranty service in 2007 with a TiVoHD because they saw that I had replaced the hard drive. So I put the original back in and took it back to Circuit City for an exchange.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #309 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

This brings up the question of warranty. I've never even considered getting one for all my other electronics but I'm now wondering if this should be the exception. The fact that my roamio runs 24-7 and that I'm sitting on a $700 investment I think is compelling enough to spend the $40 or so for the 3 year tivo extended warranty. I have about a month or so before the 90 day warranty expires.

Thoughts?

I usually get the extended warranty either from BestBuy(I got a 4 year extended warranty on my Roamio Pro) or from TiVo.(I will get the TiVo 3 year extended warranty for my Roamio Basic I got last week). AT the very least the extended warranty can help with the resale down the road. Since I get new TiVo models when they are first released, my TiVos are typically still under warranty when I sell them. And the warranty has certainly helped in selling them since the new owner doesn't have to be worried about any issues.

LED DLP

post #310 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having the most frustrating problem getting my Tivo Roamio Pro to recognize a Comcast cable card. I brought home the new Tivo (and Tivo Mini) from Best Buy on Friday and got all the networking connections working. The Mini in the bedroom is connected via MOCA and the web-based services, Netflix, etc. were working fine. I picked up a cable card from Comcast on Saturday, but the card was not recognized at all by the Tivo box (161-1 error code). I scheduled a Comcast service call on Monday morning. Technician brought a new card, but had no luck getting it recognized by the Tivo and still got the 161-1 error code. Technician thought it was a problem with the Tivo box, so I exchanged it for a new Roamio Pro at Best Buy. Tried the replacement cable card that the Comcast technician brought in the new Tivo box on Monday night. Same result... cable card is not recognized by this Tivo box either. I've been on the phone with Tivo support (they never heard of this happening before) and Comcast support (they suggested trying another new cable card from the Comcast office).

I'm feeling very frustrated and about to return everything to Best Buy and going back to Comcast DVR service. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
post #311 of 756 Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

ez-
I've heard tell that Comcast keeps and redistributes all of the old cable cards that previous customers have returned. If that is true, the problem could well be you've got an old and no longer working cable card. People have said they need to tell the Comcast Tech to bring many cable cards in order to find one that works.

If I were a suspicious person, I'd almost believe that Comcast wants these cards to fail so we have to keep on renting boxes from them.

I've no idea if any of this is actually true... it could jsut be people grousing about their cableco. Comcast has been good to me in recent years and I've gotten two cable cards from them that have both worked fine.

post #312 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

So I had a very interesting conversation with a customer rep from tivo when I called in to sign up for the 3 year extended warranty. Basically the extended warranty starts from the day tivo activates your device and not at the end of the original 90 day warranty. This means that you have an overlap of 3 months where you have the two warranties at the same time even though it's the original warranty that goes into play if anything happens to the hardware and the PLS. The extended warranty then immediately kicks in after that.

In the rare circumstance that the tivo fails within the first 90 days, it makes sense for the extended warranty to start immediately right there and then but we all know the chances of something like this happening is highly unlikely. I think tivo knows this so they are using this unlikely scenario as a reason to overlap and include these 3 months as part of their extended warranty. They should technically call their 3 year extended warranty the 2 year and 9 month extended warranty instead.

Pretty disappointing and I'm wondering if I should have gone with an outside extended warranty instead. I do have 60 days to cancel it though if i find a better option.
post #313 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think it's typical that most extended warranties extend the device's warranty period TO a certain number of years, not BY a certain number of years.
That doesn't make it any less misleading however . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #314 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So I had a very interesting conversation with a customer rep from tivo when I called in to sign up for the 3 year extended warranty. Basically the extended warranty starts from the day tivo activates your device and not at the end of the original 90 day warranty. This means that you have an overlap of 3 months where you have the two warranties at the same time even though it's the original warranty that goes into play if anything happens to the hardware and the PLS. The extended warranty then immediately kicks in after that.

In the rare circumstance that the tivo fails within the first 90 days, it makes sense for the extended warranty to start immediately right there and then but we all know the chances of something like this happening is highly unlikely. I think tivo knows this so they are using this unlikely scenario as a reason to overlap and include these 3 months as part of their extended warranty. They should technically call their 3 year extended warranty the 2 year and 9 month extended warranty instead.

Pretty disappointing and I'm wondering if I should have gone with an outside extended warranty instead. I do have 60 days to cancel it though if i find a better option.

This has always been the case. It is nothing new. Even the extended warranty from BestBuy will overlap. This is the norm.

LED DLP

post #315 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

Walmart's extended warranties start at the end of the mfgr's labor warranty.

post #316 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Walmart's extended warranties start at the end of the mfgr's labor warranty.

yes there are exceptions but that is not the normal practice.

LED DLP

post #317 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Finally got a cable card to work. It was the third one I tried! Amazing that it was so difficult to get one to work.
post #318 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgoin View Post

Finally got a cable card to work. It was the third one I tried! Amazing that it was so difficult to get one to work.
That is usually a problematic issue with the cable company. They have to enter the card ID # and send out a signal hit in order to activate.
post #319 of 756 Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Actually, it took 3 cards before one was recognized by the Tivo. Prior to that, there was no way to pair it because the Tivo didn't see a card in the slot.
post #320 of 756 Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Another interesting clause in the TiVo extended warranty is it can only be used once. Should you receive a replacement within the 3-years you'll need to purchase a new extended warranty for that new unit.
post #321 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #322 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Even cheaper if you get Best Buy to pricematch because they are also giving out $50 gift cards for Tivos.
post #323 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 17
How are the scalers in the TiVo Roamios?

Compared to 2013 Panasonic plasma for example?
post #324 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM

I am considering converting my whole house to Tivo.

Right now I have Cat 5E throughout the whole house and coax thru the whole house. I am correct and thinking that all I need is a 4 tuner Roamio and 2 minis? is the video on a mini good enough over Ethernet? in that case I only need a single cablecard from the TV company, correct?

btw, I am using Frontier Fios in the PacNW, anyone else go this way through them? how well does it work?

on a side now, anyone tried a Tivo Mini with an Xbox One? And routed it through an AVR? does that all work? The Frontier STB QIP 7100 doesn't, and presumably it's because you're allow a single repeat, I want to make sure this won't have the same problem

thanks
post #325 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo79 View Post

I am considering converting my whole house to Tivo.

Right now I have Cat 5E throughout the whole house and coax thru the whole house. I am correct and thinking that all I need is a 4 tuner Roamio and 2 minis? is the video on a mini good enough over Ethernet? in that case I only need a single cablecard from the TV company, correct?

btw, I am using Frontier Fios in the PacNW, anyone else go this way through them? how well does it work?

on a side now, anyone tried a Tivo Mini with an Xbox One? And routed it through an AVR? does that all work? The Frontier STB QIP 7100 doesn't, and presumably it's because you're allow a single repeat, I want to make sure this won't have the same problem

thanks

You only need the Roamio in one location + a Mini for each other TV.

You can wire up your Roamio and Minis via Ethernet, but I have heard it is better to go with MOCA (using your existing coax lines) instead. This is how I have it setup, and I have heard the Mini has had some problems losing connection via Ethernet. There might be some settings on your switches or routers to prevent this though so I am not sure. I do know that MOCA is the recommended method via TiVo themselves.

One thing I recently only found out after purchasing and setting up the Mini is that there is no 1080p/60 output, only 1080i. It's kind of disappointing but luckily I only have one nice, large TV so I don't mind going with 1080i output. It might be an issue if you needed a streaming service solution for a secondary, large 1080p screen and wished to use a Mini.

The mini can pass through 1080p/24 though.
post #326 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_theory View Post

The mini can pass through 1080p/24 though.

Is that used with Netflix, or something? All DTV programs are telecined to at least 29.97 fps, so there's no point in having 24 fps output, at least as far as DVR functions are concerned.
post #327 of 756 Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Is that used with Netflix, or something? All DTV programs are telecined to at least 29.97 fps, so there's no point in having 24 fps output, at least as far as DVR functions are concerned.

yeah netflix and other current and/or future streaming services
post #328 of 756 Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Actually, after reading hundreds of posts in the TiVo Community forums, I would highly suggest Ethernet over MOCA. It's more stable and has higher bandwidth.
post #329 of 756 Old 11-23-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saronian View Post

Another interesting clause in the TiVo extended warranty is it can only be used once. Should you receive a replacement within the 3-years you'll need to purchase a new extended warranty for that new unit.

No different than an extended warranty from bestbuy. Except that with best buy if they repair a device the warranty stays in force. If they replace the device then that is it for the warranty. Although with TiVos I was told that they just replace it. So the end result will be the same as with TiVo. Since in both instances the unit will have been replaced and the warranty is gone.

LED DLP

post #330 of 756 Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Actually, after reading hundreds of posts in the TiVo Community forums, I would highly suggest Ethernet over MOCA. It's more stable and has higher bandwidth.

MoCA is just as stable if setup properly. Heck even wireless is very stable on my Roamio basic. I get identical speeds as with a wired connection.

LED DLP

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page