TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #361 of 1309 Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

I don't know if this is true (or how it could be true), but a Comcast tech told me that one of my neighbors had a faulty TV that was screwing up the signal throughout the neighborhood whenever they turned it on.

Well THAT raised my eyebrow! I can't imagine either how that would come about. It would be interesting to hear from someone who might know.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1309 Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

Well THAT raised my eyebrow! I can't imagine either how that would come about. It would be interesting to hear from someone who might know.

I've heard that bad grounding in one house can affect a group of cable drops. It wouldn't be a problem if they would run fiber to each house.

post #363 of 1309 Old 12-08-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
That's only going to happen on Comcast if you get their 300mbps or higher speed tier. And that fiber drop will only be for internet. TV will still go over coax.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #364 of 1309 Old 12-14-2013, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How is the tivo roamio interface lag? I have the premiere series 4 and it's sluggish.
post #365 of 1309 Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsims89 View Post

How is the tivo roamio interface lag? I have the premiere series 4 and it's sluggish.
There is no lag at all. Even faster than the TiVo Mini.

That is except when the TiVo servers go down (C133 error) which has been happening a lot lately, but you can temporarily disconnect the Ethernet cable and speed is back to normal.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #366 of 1309 Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Yeah, C133 has been a little ridiculous lately.
sheshechic likes this.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #367 of 1309 Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Yeah, C133 has been a little ridiculous lately.

Interesting - I live in Bay Area, I haven't seen any errors regarding Tivo service.

Dude seriously!
post #368 of 1309 Old 12-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bay area is not exempt. I live in North bay and have been experiencing issues. I assume the issues are from TiVo & affect all. during some of these recent timeouts, I've noticed Netflix and other apps are still accessible via TiVo main menu while being unavailable from the my shows list.
post #369 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I have a Roamio basic in the main room. I also have my old TiVo HD running in the bedroom. Both are networked, I'm OTA-only.

From the Roamio play list I can "see" the TiVo HD, access its store of recordings and transfer any to the Roamio. Not the case for the TiVo HD. From the TiVo HD playlist I cannot "see" the Roamio.

Anybody out there in the same situation? Do you have an HD and a Roamio on your network and can you "see" the Roamio from the HD?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #370 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yes. I have the same problem. I talked to Tivo about this. You need to have a Premiere or later to be able to see other Tivo boxes. Seems like it should be a software issue, but apparently it isn't. At least that was what they implied.

Edit: Actually what I said above is wrong. My problem was streaming... On my Roamio I can stream from my Premiere, but not from my HD. Sorry I misled you.
post #371 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Yes. I have the same problem. I talked to Tivo about this. You need to have a Premiere or later to be able to see other Tivo boxes. Seems like it should be a software issue, but apparently it isn't. At least that was what they implied.

Edit: Actually what I said above is wrong. My problem was streaming... On my Roamio I can stream from my Premiere, but not from my HD. Sorry I misled you.
No problem, but now which one is it?
From the HD, can you "see" the Roamio? Can you transfer recordings from the Roamio to the HD?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #372 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Sadly, I gave my HD to a friend when I found it will not stream from my Roamio. I wasn't using it and they wanted to 'cut their cable'. I'm pretty sure I saw the Roamio, but not 100%. Now I cannot test.
post #373 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

You should be able to see the older TiVos. My Romaio Pro and Roamio basic have no problem seeing 2006 Series 3 boxes on my network. And no issues transferring content between them either.

LED DLP
post #374 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You should be able to see the older TiVos. My Romaio Pro and Roamio basic have no problem seeing 2006 Series 3 boxes on my network. And no issues transferring content between them either.

But Kelson indicated his HD wouldn't see his Roamio . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #375 of 1309 Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I only know it works fine for me. This is how I get content to my GFs TiVos. Her S3 boxes are on my account. I bring my Roamio over and transfer from the Roamio to the S3. Unless something has changed in the past week and a half, it was working fine for me.

LED DLP
post #376 of 1309 Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I only know it works fine for me. This is how I get content to my GFs TiVos. Her S3 boxes are on my account. I bring my Roamio over and transfer from the Roamio to the S3. Unless something has changed in the past week and a half, it was working fine for me.
aaron, you say "S3" but not "HD". Are you referring to the earlier S3 model that pre-dated the HD.

I'm specifically looking for someone who has a Roamio and a TiVo HD on the same network.
I want to know if from the TiVo HD they can "see" the Roamio and access its play list and transfer files from the Roamio to the TiVo HD -- because I cannot.

I read somewhere else a cryptic comment that Roamio uses a different file format that is not backwards compatible with TiVo HD.

- kelson h

post #377 of 1309 Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes. The original S3 with the OLED screen. I sold all my TiVoHD boxes so I can't test one out.

LED DLP
post #378 of 1309 Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please explain how, I see my S3 box on my Roamio but do not see the Roamio on the S3.
post #379 of 1309 Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

Please explain how, I see my S3 box on my Roamio but do not see the Roamio on the S3.

I didn't do anything special. My GFs WiFi network is setup identical to mine. I plug the Roamio in and it connects to the network. Then all the TiVos connected to that network, that are also on the same account, can see each other and transfer content.

LED DLP
post #380 of 1309 Old 12-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

I'm considering purchasing a Roamio basic to replace my current Tivo HD. The most appealing feature is support for the Tivo-Mini to stream content to TVs in other rooms of my house. The cost of a Tivo Mini is quite palatable, I'm balking at the $6/mo fee for every Mini. Has anyone been able to get any better rates from Tivo for Mini's?

I've been a longtime Tivo owner and fan. However, their products/service haven't been totally perfect. I'm seriously considering moving to a MythTV server/client solution, but there's still a cost for a MythTV solution and if it doesn't really work out, that's money that could have just gone into an upgraded Tivo arrangement.
post #381 of 1309 Old 12-24-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av View Post

I'm considering purchasing a Roamio basic to replace my current Tivo HD. The most appealing feature is support for the Tivo-Mini to stream content to TVs in other rooms of my house. The cost of a Tivo Mini is quite palatable, I'm balking at the $6/mo fee for every Mini. Has anyone been able to get any better rates from Tivo for Mini's?

I've been a longtime Tivo owner and fan. However, their products/service haven't been totally perfect. I'm seriously considering moving to a MythTV server/client solution, but there's still a cost for a MythTV solution and if it doesn't really work out, that's money that could have just gone into an upgraded Tivo arrangement.

You only have two options for the Mini. Monthly at $5.99 or lifetime service at $149.99.
I have no heard of anyone getting anything but those prices. But people have been able to get deals on the hardware. Sill though Lifetime at $150 is a decent price. At 25 months you break even when comapred to the monthly plan on the Mini.

Either way the cost is alot less than having a full size TiVo at the location. I have two Minis that I got when they launched and sold the lifetime TiVos that used to be in those locations. Each TiVo sale more than covered the cost of a Lifetime Mini. Plus I didn't have cable card rentals at those locations. At one point I used to have eight cable cards. Back in 2008. Now I only have one cable card and that is in my Roamio Pro. So instead of paying $24 a month for eight cable cards I now pay $5 a month for one.

LED DLP
post #382 of 1309 Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I don't think $150 for service on the Mini is decent at all because it's basically unjustifiable in my view, but if you want it you pay it. Just consider the Mini cost to be $200-$250 and ignore the bogus fee, Tivo charges what they want because they can.

Agree that a Myth setup is a good way to go for whole home if you don't have much copy protection, and WMC is another good choice if you do.
bidger likes this.
post #383 of 1309 Old 12-25-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Moxi-mates were $200 each.
As you say, consider the price of the mini to be $250. I also think that is way over-priced for a slave gadget that does nothing smart on its own other than read from a server. But it is much cheaper than another TiVo at the remote location so if you want it, you pay their price for it.

- kelson h

post #384 of 1309 Old 12-25-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The Moxi Mates were $299 individually, (or $200 when purchased with a Moxi DVR)
http://web.archive.org/web/20110714121934/http://www.moxi.com/us/

The Mates did not have any streaming services either

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #385 of 1309 Old 12-26-2013, 09:31 PM

What does the "A/V jack" on the rear panel of the Roamio basic (4-tuner) output and what kind of cable connector does it take?

It's labelled "Composite" on the Start Here installation poster and on the rear panel picture on p. 92 of the Roamio Viewer's Guide, but on the physical box it's labelled "A/V".  The Viewer's Guide says of it, "Composite. Connects to a TV, VCR, DVD recorder, or A/V system. Breakout composite cable (available at tivo.com/ store.) provides very good standard definition picture quality and analog audio (stereo)." On visual inspection of the rear panel it's a small hole (about the size to accommodate the prong of an RCA connector) encircled in yellow. There is no protrusion from the panel to take an RCA plug's ground ring.

A couple of TiVo telephone tech support techs provided information which conflict with each other and with the Viewer's Guide description. The pics in for the "breakout cable" kit at TiVo's online store show two cables, each with an RCA-like plug at one and and three at the other. I say "-like" because the pics of the two cables are too small to see the connectors well. The description is, "Breakout Cable kit for TiVo Mini supporting Component Video, Composite Video and Analog Audio (Stereo)". It looks like one cable breaks out into composite video plus analog audio and the other into component video.

I took delivery of the unit today, but won't get my M-Card from Charter until Dec. 28.

post #386 of 1309 Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes, the breakout cables - from TiVo -- allow component, composite and stereo audio connections.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #387 of 1309 Old 12-27-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 68

714bMTdeCpL._SL1500_.jpg

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #388 of 1309 Old 12-27-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Yes, the breakout cables - from TiVo -- allow component, composite and stereo audio connections.

I just looked at my Roamio Basic to double check.

The Roamio Basic only has the A/V output. Which is only Composite and stereo audio output. The Roamio Basic does not have a component output. Unlike the TiVo Minis which do have both the A/V and component outputs for the breakout cables.

EDIT: The Roamio Plus and Pro both have component outputs(and composite and stereo audio), but they don't use breakout cables for their outputs since they are full size TiVos.

LED DLP
post #389 of 1309 Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Tivo has a couple of breakout cables. However, I believe the output on the Roamio is threeway special connector (3 signal, mini-phonejack) on one end that is composite + left + right, and breaks out to familiar yellow, white, and red RCA on the other. The Roamio only supports composite, not component (and of course HDMI).

I use HDMI so I have not experimented with the "composite" jack, just read the Tivo material. However, the Tivo replaced an older DVR that was connected via component. If Tivo had supported it, I probably would have used that as I was used to it.
post #390 of 1309 Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Tivo has a couple of breakout cables. However, I believe the output on the Roamio is threeway special connector (3 signal, mini-phonejack) on one end that is composite + left + right, and breaks out to familiar yellow, white, and red RCA on the other. The Roamio only supports composite, not component (and of course HDMI).

I use HDMI so I have not experimented with the "composite" jack, just read the Tivo material. However, the Tivo replaced an older DVR that was connected via component. If Tivo had supported it, I probably would have used that as I was used to it.

You need to get the Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro, or TiVo Mini if you need component outputs. Since the Roamio Basic only has composite/stereo audio for analog outputs.

LED DLP
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page