TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #601 of 756 Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 155
But even the DVR+ has half the tuners of the Roamio, you have to buy your own storage and hope it works, and it's a bugfest (as usual with Channel Master), so that's not a valid comparison either. You get what you pay for here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 756 Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

You get what you pay for here.
Completely agree. And, as I have noted before, support is a big component of what you pay for and receive. We're not just paying for a TiVo guide.

TiVo is not perfect but remains the gold standard for DVR's currently on the market. So any DVR that comes out is going to be compared to TiVo, as it should be. When people say there is no competition in the DVR space, that is just wrong. There are plenty of DVR's and DVR alternatives available out there. They all compete against each other in terms of features, reliability, support and price -- just like most other products. People will choose based on their requirements and what they can afford. The problem in this space is that many people have requirements that exceed either what they can afford or simply what they choose to pay -- so they complain and trash the leaders.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #603 of 756 Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The Roamio would certainly work but it may be a overkill, unless money isn't really a issue. On the low end you may be able to get by with something as low as $40 for the iView3500 or Homeworx tuner/DVRs. They are both single tuner tuners that when you add a USB HDD you can save programs, they have HDMI, Component and composite outputs. They are a little quirky in operation(mostly relating to the recording part) but do have HD outputs. The downscaled composite output isn't the best but HDMI or component are basically as broadcast. The one thing they don't have, which may be major to you, is the ability to output NATIVE, both scale the output to whatever you've set in the setup. That is if you have it set to output 1080i then 720p(and 480i) channels will be output as 1080i and if you've set it to 720p then 1080i(and 480i) channels will be scaled to 720p.
I wouldn't say either of these cheaper tuners "better" than the Tivo but they are for sure cheaper and would do the job. Channel Master also makes a HD DVR that would work for OTA and is probably more polished than the iView but I'd not sure if it has a native output either, it's called the CM+ and also has a thread on AVS.
Thanks for the input- would subscription be required for solely using tuner for ota after purchasing the Roamio Basic and not using any dvr functions?

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #604 of 756 Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

Thanks for the input- would subscription be required for solely using tuner for ota after purchasing the Roamio Basic and not using any dvr functions?
If all you want is a single HD OTA tuner for your display, don't buy a TiVo. That would be senseless, TiVo's are made to be used as DVR's with their service. Look at the iView/Homeworx that jjeff cited.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #605 of 756 Old 03-19-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The Roamio would certainly work but it may be a overkill, unless money isn't really a issue. On the low end you may be able to get by with something as low as $40 for the iView3500 or Homeworx tuner/DVRs. They are both single tuner tuners that when you add a USB HDD you can save programs, they have HDMI, Component and composite outputs. They are a little quirky in operation(mostly relating to the recording part) but do have HD outputs. The downscaled composite output isn't the best but HDMI or component are basically as broadcast. The one thing they don't have, which may be major to you, is the ability to output NATIVE, both scale the output to whatever you've set in the setup. That is if you have it set to output 1080i then 720p(and 480i) channels will be output as 1080i and if you've set it to 720p then 1080i(and 480i) channels will be scaled to 720p.
I wouldn't say either of these cheaper tuners "better" than the Tivo but they are for sure cheaper and would do the job. Channel Master also makes a HD DVR that would work for OTA and is probably more polished than the iView but I'd not sure if it has a native output either, it's called the CM+ and also has a thread on AVS.

I'm not positive but I've read that without a sub a Tivo will work as a tuner and have the ability to timeshift the last 1/2hr, nothing more. It may also pester you with OSDs about enabling a subscription but again I'm only going off what I've read. A iView or similar would be cheaper than a Tivo and with a USB HDD it's not a bad little HD recorder, albeit a basic VCR type.

post #606 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 AM

So- when you decide to get one of these units is it better to pay by the month or pay the lifetime subscription fee? If I choose the monthly fee it will take me 2.7 years to reach the $500 (lifetime subscription fee) so if I keep the unit for longer than that and if the unit lasts longer than that I guess the $500 isn't a bad deal-

post #607 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 AM

Anyone here tried a mediasonic homeworx hw180stb or hw150pvr? Just comparing to the Roamio Basic- pq and aq and build quality

post #608 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

So- when you decide to get one of these units is it better to pay by the month or pay the lifetime subscription fee? If I choose the monthly fee it will take me 2.7 years to reach the $500 (lifetime subscription fee) so if I keep the unit for longer than that and if the unit lasts longer than that I guess the $500 isn't a bad deal-

There was a code that allows new TiVo subscribers to get lifetime for $400. I don't remember what it is offhand, but it has been in use for several years. I don't know if it still can be used but I last used it in late Summer when I got my Roamio Pro and the code was still valid back then.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #609 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Quote:

Lifetime, hands down. Greatly increases resale value and pays for itself. BTW lifetime sub is actually $400 with promo code PLSR when you activate at tivo.com, assuming you bought the Tivo from somewhere other than Tivo itself.
post #610 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you buy the Roamio from anyone other than TiVo direct you can use a well publicized discount code to get lifetime for $400. That puts you at around 2yr 3mo for break-even. If you plan on keeping your TiVo for a long time, go with lifetime. It also gives you a decent resale value if the unit includes lifetime.

TiVo's last many years. My TiVo HD is 5+ yr old and still going strong. There is an active market for used TiVo's on ebay, so people buy with confidence that the box will last. The only things that usually go wrong with a TiVo is the HDD fails or, very rarely, the power supply goes bad. for older TiVo's, the power supply can be repaired by Weaknees and the HDD is user replaceable. With the design of the Roamio Basic these two repairs are easy for the user: the power supply is an external adapter so if it burns out you go to Amazon and buy a compatible unit; the HDD replacement is now drop-in with no need to preformat or clone from the previous drive -- you can easily upgrade the supplied 500GB drive to a 3TB drive if you so desire.

- kelson h

post #611 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone here tried a mediasonic homeworx hw180stb or hw150pvr? Just comparing to the Roamio Basic- pq and aq and build quality
Roamio records by spooling the broadcast transport stream to the HDD so the PQ & audio are identical to watching the broadcast direct on your HDTV. If the HomeWorx also spools the transport stream then it will look the same. Other than that there is no point trying to compare a $50 hobbyist unit to a $600 TiVo.

- kelson h

post #612 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 AM

So buy it from Best Buy or Fry's and get the lifetime for $400 with the rebate- that sounds a lot better- thanks for the advice

post #613 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So buy it from Best Buy or Fry's and get the lifetime for $400 with the rebate- that sounds a lot better- thanks for the advice
Get Best Buy to price match Amazon's price and save at least $20 depending on which model you buy.
post #614 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 AM

I'm planning to get a Roamio basic this weekend. I'll probably get a mini to go with it but was debating getting a used Premiere. Am I right that if I don't get a cablecard for the Premiere I would still be able to watch shows taped on the Roamio, just not tape cable on it. I would still be able to use the Prem to tape OTA, if I got the 2 tuner base model. I know the Mini doesn't require a second cable card.
post #615 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

I'm planning to get a Roamio basic this weekend. I'll probably get a mini to go with it but was debating getting a used Premiere. Am I right that if I don't get a cablecard for the Premiere I would still be able to watch shows taped on the Roamio, just not tape cable on it. I would still be able to use the Prem to tape OTA, if I got the 2 tuner base model. I know the Mini doesn't require a second cable card.
As long as you have a subscription for both units they will talk to each other over the network. The caveat with using two TiVo's instead of a TiVo + mini is copy-protected cable shows. If your Roamio has a cable card and you record a program that is copy-once protected by the cable co, you cannot play that show on a remote Premier, only a remote Mini. The reason being, the Premier will copy the recording from the Roamio as it plays it whereas the Mini will stream it. you can stream that copy-protected content from Roamio to Premier using MRS but not transfer using MRV. The cable labs license permits streaming a copy-protected program but not copying it from one TiVo to another.
markrubin likes this.

- kelson h

post #616 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Good to know thanks. I have Comcast at the moment but might be switching to Fios and they charge $5 per card. If you're recording something on the Roamio can you start watching it right away on the Premiere? One advantage of the Premiere over the mini would be to have the additional space without adding a bigger hard drive to the Roamio Basic and voiding the warranty. I like the basic since it has the OTA tuner in case I decide to cut cable for a while, too bad they left it off the Plus and Pro.
post #617 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As long as you have a subscription for both units they will talk to each other over the network. The caveat with using two TiVo's instead of a TiVo + mini is copy-protected cable shows. If your Roamio has a cable card and you record a program that is copy-once protected by the cable co, you cannot play that show on a remote Premier, only a remote Mini. The reason being, the Premier will copy the recording from the Roamio as it plays it whereas the Mini will stream it. The cable labs license permits streaming a copy-protected program but not copying it from one TiVo to another.

The Premiere can stream the content too. It's the S3 and earlier models than can only transfer.
Quote:
Multi-Room Streaming (MRS) lets you enjoy your programming from more locations, faster than ever. With MRS you can stream video over your high-speed home network within seconds and get back to enjoying your favorite shows from any room with a Roamio Series or Premiere Series DVR.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1986/related/1

LED DLP

post #618 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

Good to know thanks. I have Comcast at the moment but might be switching to Fios and they charge $5 per card. If you're recording something on the Roamio can you start watching it right away on the Premiere? One advantage of the Premiere over the mini would be to have the additional space without adding a bigger hard drive to the Roamio Basic and voiding the warranty. I like the basic since it has the OTA tuner in case I decide to cut cable for a while, too bad they left it off the Plus and Pro.

Yes you can start watching it right away from another Premiere, Roamio, or Mini.

The Mini is also faster than the Premiere but if you can get a used Premiere for a good price it is certainly a decent substitute, plus it would give you a couple more tuners. I still have a two tuner Premiere I need to put up for sale sometime. Since I have a Roamio Basic for OTA and taking with me on travel, a Roamio Pro on cable, and two Minis, i don't use the lifetime premiere any more.

LED DLP

post #619 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The Premiere can stream the content too. It's the S3 and earlier models than can only transfer.
Thank you for the correction. I was only thinking of MRV. Having a TiVo HD with my Roamio I guess I wasn't aware of MRS.

- kelson h

post #620 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

I have both(Tivo HD and iView) and all I really use the iView for is overflow recording when I'm already recording two things on my 2 tuner Tivo. For whatever reason my iView occasionally doesn't record the event I've programmed it for and I HATE the search function, Tivo is worlds better, the basic HDMI picture and audio quality is the same as the Tivo but everything else is way less refined and reliable. As kelson said comparing a Tivo to a iView is like comparing a Yugo to a BMW, both may get you there but one is sure a lot nicer :D 

The iViews are a wonder for the price and I don't consider it wasted money but I'm sure glad I have my Tivo for the vast majority of my recording.

unclehonkey likes this.
post #621 of 756 Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I'm also considering picking up a Series 3 if I found a good enough deal so good to know.
post #622 of 756 Old 03-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it possible to use the HDMI and Composite output at the same time for the Roamio?
post #623 of 756 Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes. They are both active.

LED DLP

post #624 of 756 Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Can anyone give me any device in setting up my antenna so I don't keep losing channels on and off? My options are pretty limited since I live in an apartment. Now this happens very sporadically so I have a feeling that with a longer extension cord attached to my Terk HDTVa, I can play with positioning once I find the best tuner signal. I'm pretty annoyed when my base tivo roamio recording of the Big Bang Theory cut off after 5 minutes this week.

How are you guys accessing the tuner signal readings off of your Roamios?
post #625 of 756 Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Can anyone give me any device in setting up my antenna so I don't keep losing channels on and off?

You should post to your local thread about reception issues.

Quote:
How are you guys accessing the tuner signal readings off of your Roamios?

There's a generic Signal Quality meter here:

TiVo: Settings & Messages: Channels: Signal Strength - Antenna

Even though it says "Signal Strength" I think it's a Signal Quality meter.

There's more detailed information about each tuner here:

TiVo: Settings & Messages: Account & System Info: DVR Diagnostics

Scroll down to find the tuner # used for the channel you're tuned to. There are 2 1/2 screens for each tuner (Tuners 0 - 3).
post #626 of 756 Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^ Thanks! It doesn't happen very often but I'll take your suggestions and keep em in mind.

Anyone using Amazon Instant Video on their Roamio? How's the UI and resolution compared to other hardware sources? According to the just published Sound and Vision review- it isn't much to brag about rolleyes.gif
post #627 of 756 Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Their Amazon app sucks...

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #628 of 756 Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

^^^^ Thanks! It doesn't happen very often but I'll take your suggestions and keep em in mind.

Anyone using Amazon Instant Video on their Roamio? How's the UI and resolution compared to other hardware sources? According to the just published Sound and Vision review- it isn't much to brag about rolleyes.gif

For purchased or rental content it's some of the best quality around. The content is still downloaded. But even four or five years ago most of the content I watched from Amazon on my TiVos was mostly 1080P content. But the TiVo doesn't stream Amazon content. So only rental and purchased content. I usually purchased Tv shows and it is downloaded to my TiVos. Most of those shows are in 1080P24, which is not the case with streaming. Most Amazon streaming devices are only using 720P streams. SO the quality is typically better from the TiVos than other devices.

LED DLP

post #629 of 756 Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I should have clarified. Aaron is right. I get tv show/movie downloads sent from Amazon to the TiVo and the PQ is outstanding. I do not however use the TiVo app, i register the device with the website, and do it all from Amazon. Sending downloads to your tivo is easy. Most tv shows are 1080p/24 or 1080p/60.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #630 of 756 Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

So you can't stream their free movies/ tv shows through the Roamio? Wow, this surprises me. I just signed up for this service just a couple of days through Amazon and was able to get around to checking it out for the first time straight through my VT60's tv app just yesterday. I wasn't impressed with the PQ to say the least probably because my Oppo 103D wasn't doing it's usual thing in the background as it normally does.

I was hoping my Roamio would suffice as it's hooked up in the 103D's path but I guess it's a no go if it doesn't allow free streaming which is the only feature I'm interested in mad.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page