TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #661 of 1081 Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I just looked at my Roamio Basic. The channels that I had in the 90's last fall when I got my Roamio Basic are now showing up as in the 70's and 80's. I'm not showing anything in the 90's any more. But I also noticed that one of my main networks, CBS is having issues. It's only showing up around 30 and the picture is breaking up. Just a few weeks ago the picture was fine. But I've always had changes in some of the channels when the foilage is gone and then when the foilage starts growing back. I might try taking it off the 3-way splitter this weekend to see if that helps any. But fortunately I don't rely on my OTA Roamio Basic for recordings. My Roamio Pro on FiOS is what I use for everything.

What is your TV fool report like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1081 Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm debating whether the Best Buy extended warranty would be worth it for my Roamio basic. If there's an issue and Best Buy gives me a new Tivo would the lifetime transfer without cost? Seems I've read mixed answers to this question before. I know if I upgraded to a larger hard drive that voids the warranty with Tivo and putting the original hard drive back probably won't help since Tivo knows the hard drive was changed. I'm thinking I could still get it fixed with a Best Buy warranty but if they just gave me a new box and Tivo won't transfer the lifetime then it's not worth it.

Ok, I just read on the Tivo website that the Lifetime Service transfers if the Tivo was exchanged under warranty through the retailer, but is that the normal warranty or include an extended warranty? It doesn't mention extended. What it also doesn't say is if there's a fee or not. I will try to get an answer from Tivo but wondering if anybody has had any experience exchanging their Tivo under an extended warranty.
post #663 of 1081 Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

I'm debating whether the Best Buy extended warranty would be worth it for my Roamio basic.
Just my opinion as a 5 yr TiVo veteran -- an extended warranty will be money wasted.

The build quality of a TiVo is sufficient to keep them running for many years -- there is an active used TiVo market on ebay that is only possible because of the expected longevity of the boxes. The only thing that generally goes wrong with a TiVo is either the HDD dies, or more rarely the PS dies. For the previous Premier and HD models, the HDD is user replaceable/upgradable and the PS can be fixed by weaKnees.

With the Roamio Basic, servicing is even easier. The internal HDD is a drop in replacement with an AV drive up to at least 3TB -- no special pre-formatting is needed like with the HD or Premier, the Roamio will format the OEM drive. Servicing the external PS is even easier should it go bad -- buy a new equivalent wall-wart from Amazon and plug it in.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #664 of 1081 Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
I always get the extended warranty. Either the three year from TiVo or the four year from BestBuy. Worst case, it will help with the resale value when I upgrade to a newer model. At least that has been the case for me since getting the TiVos used with the cable companies. They have typically helped my resale value and also helped sell them quicker.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #665 of 1081 Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. I chatted with Tivo and they said the Lifetime would transfer to a replacement box from Best Buy. I would have to fax them copies of the receipts and any documentation. If the box failed without an extended warranty I would get a replacement box through Tivo technical support and transfer the lifetime for $149.
post #666 of 1081 Old 04-10-2014, 05:43 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys,
New member here at the forum. Just joined today. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on why I am having issues when I try to upgrade my roamio (base model) to a Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm drive. After I install it, the roamio keeps power cycling. It flashes all the lights on the front for a second then turns off and starts up again. I initially thought this was the formatting process but it obviously is not. I can hear the drive spin up and down over and over. Could it be that it is a 7200 rpm and requires too much power? The drive mounts and functions perfectly both on Mac and windows computers. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
post #667 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belbers1 View Post

Hey guys,
New member here at the forum. Just joined today. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on why I am having issues when I try to upgrade my roamio (base model) to a Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm drive. After I install it, the roamio keeps power cycling. It flashes all the lights on the front for a second then turns off and starts up again. I initially thought this was the formatting process but it obviously is not. I can hear the drive spin up and down over and over. Could it be that it is a 7200 rpm and requires too much power? The drive mounts and functions perfectly both on Mac and windows computers. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
You should be using an AV drive optimized for video and continuous operation rather than a desktop HDD.
Check into the Seagate Pipeline series of AV drives for 2TB and under -- ST2000VM003 which use less than 5 watt. Seagate is releasing a new video series for 3 & 4 TB drives (ST3000VM002 & ST4000VM000) but they are considerably more expensive.

Check out these posts by gadgtfreek where he opens his Roamio Basic up and replaces the original Seagate Pipeline 500 GB drive with a WD 2TB AV drive -- lot of pictures.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486871/tivo-roamio-records-up-to-6-shows-simultaneously-3tb-storage-streams/100_100#post_23679040
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486871/tivo-roamio-records-up-to-6-shows-simultaneously-3tb-storage-streams/100_100#post_23682983
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486871/tivo-roamio-records-up-to-6-shows-simultaneously-3tb-storage-streams/100_100#post_23683103
hubcityraider likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #668 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 AM

I've been debating upgrading my Roamio
Quote:

Hey guys,
I've been thinking about upgrading my hard drive and if you go to the Tivo Community forums there is a thread on upgrading a Roamio hard drive. They recommend using the 2TB or 3TB WD Green drives that Tivo uses.
post #669 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

I've been debating upgrading my Roamio
I've been thinking about upgrading my hard drive and if you go to the Tivo Community forums there is a thread on upgrading a Roamio hard drive. They recommend using the 2TB or 3TB WD Green drives that Tivo uses.

I went with a 3 TB AV drive instead of the Green. Painless and perfect.
WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD30EURS

I know some claim that the AV is just a repackaged Green drive- but the price difference is only $10 and the AV drive does have slightly better performance.
post #670 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any word on the streaming version for the Android app? I thought it might be out by now.
post #671 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

I went with a 3 TB AV drive instead of the Green. Painless and perfect.
WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD30EURS

I know some claim that the AV is just a repackaged Green drive- but the price difference is only $10 and the AV drive does have slightly better performance.
The one you got is the one they reference at TCF, actually the newer version EURX. They're not listed as Green drives but it appears they are Green like others have said. The Amazon picture doesn't show the cover but if you look at the picture on Amazon's website of the WD30EURX it actually shows an EURS model that has the GreenPower sticker on it. Did yours have the GreenPower sticker on the cover?

I will probably get the same EURS model you got. Should I be concerned about the 3TB drive running hotter than a 1 TB in the base model Roamio?
post #672 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't think mine came with the lower-half green sticker. IIRC, the Roamio Plus/Pro models have a fan on the chassis, while the Base Roamio does not. But I do believe there's ample vent slots for the HDD to work without cooking. I do believe there is a diagnostic that shows HDD temp somewhere in the settings.

But as an aside, I've had HDDs in external enclosures with no ventilation / fans and they've never cooked / failed.
post #673 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

I don't think mine came with the lower-half green sticker. IIRC, the Roamio Plus/Pro models have a fan on the chassis, while the Base Roamio does not. But I do believe there's ample vent slots for the HDD to work without cooking. I do believe there is a diagnostic that shows HDD temp somewhere in the settings.

But as an aside, I've had HDDs in external enclosures with no ventilation / fans and they've never cooked / failed.

The Roamio Basic has a small internal fan between the hard drive and MB. (No idea where this picture came from but I found it online.)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #674 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The picture came from gadgtfreek, in this post on page 2 of the thread. I referenced them in my post above.

BTW, that 500GB drive that came in the Roamio Basic is a Seagate Pipeline

- kelson h

post #675 of 1081 Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The picture came from gadgtfreek, in this post on page 2 of the thread. I referenced them in my post above.

BTW, that 500GB drive that came in the Roamio Basic is a Seagate Pipeline

That's funny biggrin.gif. I found that with a google search. I had no idea it even came from AVS. I just downloaded the pic and uploaded it in the post.

post #676 of 1081 Old 04-12-2014, 07:36 AM

Alright, thanks. I had figured the power supply would be able to handle it but I guess it won't. For the time being I think I am going to stick with the 500 GB and see how much space I actually use, since I generally delete shows immediately after watching.

post #677 of 1081 Old 04-12-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Alright, thanks. I had figured the power supply would be able to handle it but I guess it won't. For the time being I think I am going to stick with the 500 GB and see how much space I actually use, since I generally delete shows immediately after watching.
There is always the option of plugging in a 1TB DVR Expander. That way you don't have to open the case and void the warranty -- oh wait, you already did that.

I have a 500GB expander plugged into mine for 1GB total. I have 30+ active season passes and collect about 14 of them because we don't have time to watch them now. 10 of those collected shows are off-loaded from the TiVo to my server and the rest stay on the TiVo. Once we watch something it gets deleted. Given all that, I watch how much space is being used and I have never broken 40%. The closest we came to 40% full was during the Olympics where my daughter set a season pass to record everything during the week and scan through it during the weekend.

You might find the 500GB drive is completely adequate. But as long as you have it networked, load kmttg on your PC and you can off-load shows to other HDD's then send them back to the TiVo when you want to play them.

- kelson h

post #678 of 1081 Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Has anybody here ditched their Comcast X1 STB for a TiVo? If so, how has your transition been?
post #679 of 1081 Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

There is always the option of plugging in a 1TB DVR Expander. That way you don't have to open the case and void the warranty -- oh wait, you already did that.

I have a 500GB expander plugged into mine for 1GB total. I have 30+ active season passes and collect about 14 of them because we don't have time to watch them now. 10 of those collected shows are off-loaded from the TiVo to my server and the rest stay on the TiVo. Once we watch something it gets deleted. Given all that, I watch how much space is being used and I have never broken 40%. The closest we came to 40% full was during the Olympics where my daughter set a season pass to record everything during the week and scan through it during the weekend.

You might find the 500GB drive is completely adequate. But as long as you have it networked, load kmttg on your PC and you can off-load shows to other HDD's then send them back to the TiVo when you want to play them.

The only bad thing about the expander is that it creates two points of failure. And unfortunately with TiVos(unlike most cable company DVRs) if either of the drives have issue, you will lose all recordings on both drives since they are married.

post #680 of 1081 Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 272
We have a member in the Detroit Thread with some Comcast - Roamio questions if anyone can chime in: http://www.avsforum.com/t/453486/detroit-mi-hdtv/11760#post_24643011

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #681 of 1081 Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM

Just got a TiVo Roamio to ease the shock of cutting the cable cord (which was long overdue). Went with the TiVo March Madness promo for $75 off the Roamio basic making this an easy decision for at the least the first year contract (monthly payments).

I paired the Roamio with a Mohu Curve 30 antenna and TVFool shows me 7.5 miles from the towers. When I had the Mohu hooked directly to my TV, I was getting a 100% signal from the TV meter. When routing the Mohu through the TiVo (which is then routed through my AVR), my signal is 72 max. If I stand up or walk around my living room I can see the signal drop on certain channels (quick jutter/static). This did not happen when routed directly through the TV prior to TiVo. For the most part, the picture is still excellent and the signal meter would be the only reason I'd know there was a difference (aside from the signal loss when there is motion in the room...or sometimes just random).

Is it possible that the TV has a better tuner than the TiVo?
Could it be that the signal meter in the TV reads 100% while the TiVo reads 72% and they are both tuned in the same...or is one definitely better? Just looking for opinions or advice.
Is there a better/another way to hook up my system (Mohu -> TiVo -> AVR -> TV)?

As far as Netflix on the TiVo goes, I thought I had my new go to device for streaming. It quickly buffered and looked excellent. It just seems like it snags up a little more (buffers) than the ROKU 2XS which has become much more stable as of late (Wired connection / 30mbps down). I've also gotten the error that "Netflix can't play this title now and to try again later" a few times in a single day's use. Anyone notice this more with TiVo streaming than other devices?

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #682 of 1081 Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've seen the "Netflix can't play this title now and to try again later" a few times recently on my Roku 3, so I think it is a Netflix issue. I wonder if they might have a limit on the number of people who can stream a show at one time? I'm OTA with a 2-tuner Premiere, and cannot help you with the Roamio Basic. I am very suspect of signal strength percents. They really don't seem to mean much. I wish they would just tell you the actual number.
post #683 of 1081 Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I've seen the "Netflix can't play this title now and to try again later" a few times recently on my Roku 3, so I think it is a Netflix issue. I wonder if they might have a limit on the number of people who can stream a show at one time? I'm OTA with a 2-tuner Premiere, and cannot help you with the Roamio Basic. I am very suspect of signal strength percents. They really don't seem to mean much. I wish they would just tell you the actual number.

Thanks for the response. I don't want to sound so naïve as to pin a Netflix or ISP issue on the hardware, but I had just thought earlier that day about how stable Netflix streaming had been with the ROKU the past few months with next to no buffer. Then the first time I hook up the TiVo...I'm seeing issues again. Could have simply been Netflix or the ISP...you just never know. Coincidences run rampant in my house.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #684 of 1081 Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1 View Post

Is it possible that the TV has a better tuner than the TiVo?
Could it be that the signal meter in the TV reads 100% while the TiVo reads 72% and they are both tuned in the same...or is one definitely better? Just looking for opinions or advice.
Is there a better/another way to hook up my system (Mohu -> TiVo -> AVR -> TV)?

The signal quality meter in the Roamio and the one in the Sony are calibrated differently so they won't read the same. Your Sony should have a diagnostic screen (under Customer Support) where it displays the SNR in dB. The Roamio has this feature under DVR Diagnostics. The dB readings should be pretty close together but not necessarily the same.

The Roamio Signal Quality meter is calibrated for 2.5% equals 1 dB with 35% being 15 dB SNR (minimum useable) and 100% being 41 dB SNR. Don't expect to ever see 41 dB. You'll probably never see a number above the mid 80's. 72 would be about 30 dB SNR which is excellent.

In the comparisons I ran between my Sony KDL-55HX800 and the Roamio, I found the Roamio to require about 0.5 dB more signal to decode a picture on the weakest signals but about 0.5 dB more tolerant of multipath. I consider these tuners to be about equal.

Edit: Sorry. I misread your equipment list. You don't have a Sony TV. I don't know if the Panasonic shows SNR in dB.
hubcityraider likes this.

post #685 of 1081 Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

72 would be about 30 dB SNR which is excellent.

Being that this is my first dance with TiVo and HD OTA, it's good to know where I stand. Thanks for your input.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #686 of 1081 Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quick question for the knowledgeable out there: Why does the base OTA Tivo Roamio only have 4 tuners instead of 6? Is it a limitation of OTA tuner technology in general or is this tivo's way of keeping costs down?

I had 5 shows a while back on the same time frame and I had to let one go when I was setting up a remote recording which was a first for me as I only have OTA channels. I don't think it'll happen again anytime soon wink.gif
post #687 of 1081 Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Why does the base OTA Tivo Roamio only have 4 tuners instead of 6? Is it a limitation of OTA tuner technology in general or is this tivo's way of keeping costs down?

It's the latter. They assume with the limited number of OTA channels compared to most cable packages that OTA users won't possibly have enough conflicts to want more than four tuners.
post #688 of 1081 Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Quick question for the knowledgeable out there: Why does the base OTA Tivo Roamio only have 4 tuners instead of 6? Is it a limitation of OTA tuner technology in general or is this tivo's way of keeping costs down?

I had 5 shows a while back on the same time frame and I had to let one go when I was setting up a remote recording which was a first for me as I only have OTA channels. I don't think it'll happen again anytime soon wink.gif

OTA tuner chipsets are way behind QAM tuners chipsets. They are still limited to four tuners. At least when the Roamio was designed.

post #689 of 1081 Old 05-04-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
FYI;
Sams Club has the Roamio Plus for just $299
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tivo-6-tuner-dvr-roamio-plus/prod12290525.ip?navAction=

Roamio Pro just $498.88
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tivo-6-tuner-dvr-roamio-pro-dvr/prod13280048.ip?navAction=

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
post #690 of 1081 Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Ordered a Plus last night, but got an email
just now that the order was cancelled as the product was unavailable.
Don't know if they never really had them or sold out a small quantity.
Never saw this deal mentioned elsewhere, but it was definitely there last night.

Bill
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page