TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #721 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I would think that at $500, TiVo users would have paid for the right not to be annoyed by their DVR.

I guess it depends on what is annoying. Nothing TiVo does is in your face and can't be removed. For me, when I pause, 99% of the time I pause because I am doing something else. I don't care what is on the screen because I'm not even looking at it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 229
When you're playing a recording, hit select-play-select-pause-select on the remote and the progress bar (and ad) will quickly go away on pause. Has to be enabled after every boot unlike 30-sec skip which is permanent.

First thing I do when I get a new box, I never see pause ads.
post #723 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I actually like the Showcases (Ads), They reminded me to set up a Season Pass for "Gang Related", and I also saw an Ad for another upcoming show on AMC that I was not aware of "Halt and Catch Fire" so I watched the trailer and set up another Season Pass.

As for Bounty and Charmin, I just ignore those, no big deal.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #724 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I would think that at $500, TiVo users would have paid for the right not to be annoyed by their DVR.

Why would you think that?
I paid over $1000 for my PC and hundreds of dollars a year for internet service and just on this one AVS Tivo Roamio page I'm annoyed by 3 Nissan ads, replacement lamps ad, Visual Apex home theater ad, and 7 sponsor ad links. So be thankful that Tivo has minimum advertisements. It could be a lot worse.

James
post #725 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebiggers View Post

I paid over $1000 for my PC and hundreds of dollars a year for internet service and just on this one AVS Tivo Roamio page I'm annoyed by 3 Nissan ads, replacement lamps ad, Visual Apex home theater ad, and 7 sponsor ad links. So be thankful that Tivo has minimum advertisements. It could be a lot worse.

James
Seriously? Talk about a totally false equivalence.

You do realize your PC doesn't show you ANY ads right? You don't see a banner ad when pause a movie you are watching on the PC, or on your word-processing document or your spreadsheet. Blaming the PC for ads seen on the web is like blaming your coffee table for ads in the magazine that's sitting on it.

Your appliances should not advertise to you. Period.
post #726 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

I actually like the Showcases (Ads), They reminded me to set up a Season Pass for "Gang Related", and I also saw an Ad for another upcoming show on AMC that I was not aware of "Halt and Catch Fire" so I watched the trailer and set up another Season Pass.

As for Bounty and Charmin, I just ignore those, no big deal.

I sign up to get the coupons if I notice them on screen and give them to my GF after they get mailed to me.

The Discovery Bar has introduced me to a bunch of content over the years that I otherwise would probably have not run into.

post #727 of 1082 Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

Seriously? Talk about a totally false equivalence.

You do realize your PC doesn't show you ANY ads right? You don't see a banner ad when pause a movie you are watching on the PC, or on your word-processing document or your spreadsheet. Blaming the PC for ads seen on the web is like blaming your coffee table for ads in the magazine that's sitting on it.

Your appliances should not advertise to you. Period.

Ted.......Be careful, you may give the word-processing and spreadsheet software developers a new way to increase their revenue.

James
post #728 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

James

I notice that I get a few less ads on AVS when i switched from windows internet explorer to firefox mozilla and did not activate adobe flash. The switch had to do with the internet explorer/flash vulnerability that came up last month. Made the switch and liked it such that I'll probably stay with firefox even after then fix I.E.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #729 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:

Ted.......Be careful, you may give the word-processing and spreadsheet software developers a new way to increase their revenue.

It's already become much worse than that. Microsoft, Adobe, and other software companies have noticed that the cable industry's subscription model is far more lucrative than selling software, so new versions of Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and other software are now licensed through a monthly subscription model, rather than a flat fee. Now you too can enjoy the benefits of paying for the same software over, and over, and over... rolleyes.gif

Now I have yet another reason to be thankful for LibreOffice, GIMP, and other alternatives to proprietary programs.
post #730 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I notice that I get a few less ads on AVS when i switched from windows internet explorer to firefox mozilla and did not activate adobe flash. The switch had to do with the internet explorer/flash vulnerability that came up last month. Made the switch and liked it such that I'll probably stay with firefox even after then fix I.E.

JimP

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about going to firefox for some time.

James
post #731 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's already become much worse than that. Microsoft, Adobe, and other software companies have noticed that the cable industry's subscription model is far more lucrative than selling software, so new versions of Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and other software are now licensed through a monthly subscription model, rather than a flat fee. Now you too can enjoy the benefits of paying for the same software over, and over, and over... rolleyes.gif

Now I have yet another reason to be thankful for LibreOffice, GIMP, and other alternatives to proprietary programs.
That reminds me. My yearly Office 365 payment will be coming up soon. The $100 a year was cheaper than $10 monthly. Plus I needed it on multiple PCs, tablets, and a cell phone. So it didn't make sense to get an individual license for everything. Although I miss the days when I only payed $30 to $50 for each individual license for the full Office Suite.

post #732 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Hi Aleron

I'm not familiar with LibreOffice, but, do use GIMP. It's a great program. I can see TIVO dropping their lifetime subscription and only offering monthly subscriptions at an increased price. IMO, what TIVO has now with it's lifetime subscription is very reasonable: hardware at almost cost and a TIVO lifetime subscription, for the life of the hardware, with minimum advertisements.

James
post #733 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi Aleron

I'm not familiar with LibreOffice, but, do use GIMP. It's a great program. I can see TIVO dropping their lifetime subscription and only offering monthly subscriptions at an increased price. IMO, what TIVO has now with it's lifetime subscription is very reasonable: hardware at almost cost and a TIVO lifetime subscription, for the life of the hardware, with minimum advertisements.

James
TiVo did that in 2006. When i got my three, Series 3(OLED) boxes in 2006. They had dropped Lifetime service and monthly service was the only option. That didn't last too long since it didn't work out very well for them at the time.. I think by the time I got my first TiVoHD when they launched in Summer 2007, Lifetime Service was back and I got lifetime service on the several TiVoHD boxes I bought over the next couple of years. For my original Series 3 boxes I had signed up for three years and paid it upfront which was the equivalent of around $8 a month. So when the three years was up I got lifetime on all three boxes at a discounted rate. Around $200 for each box.

My GF still has two of them. WHen the first 1TB drive was introduced, an Hitachi five Platter drive in 2007, I put them in the S3 boxes. They have been going strong for seven years now. Running 24/7 that entire time except for the period that they were unplugged when I took them over to her house. I gave them to her after I upgraded to the original Premiere boxes..

I would love to give her a Roamio BAsic and a Mini. But she is happy with the S3 boxes. Plus I would need to upgrade her wireless network anyway for the wireless streaming between the Mini and the Roamio Basic. But it would still make things much easier than with the slow Series 3 boxes. But that is what she likes. So unless they break, she will continue to use them. I just can't stand using the SD menu every time I'm over there.

post #734 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

TiVo did that in 2006. When i got my three, Series 3(OLED) boxes in 2006. They had dropped Lifetime service and monthly service was the only option. That didn't last too long since it didn't work out very well for them at the time.. I think by the time I got my first TiVoHD when they launched in Summer 2007, Lifetime Service was back and I got lifetime service on the several TiVoHD boxes I bought over the next couple of years. For my original Series 3 boxes I had signed up for three years and paid it upfront which was the equivalent of around $8 a month. So when the three years was up I got lifetime on all three boxes at a discounted rate. Around $200 for each box.

My GF still has two of them. WHen the first 1TB drive was introduced, an Hitachi five Platter drive in 2007, I put them in the S3 boxes. They have been going strong for seven years now. Running 24/7 that entire time except for the period that they were unplugged when I took them over to her house. I gave them to her after I upgraded to the original Premiere boxes..

Hi aaronwt

I didn't know that the lifetime subscription was relatively new. I'm new to TIVO and I must say that TIVO is a great product. I hope the lifetime subscription is still there when I buy my next one.

James
post #735 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi aaronwt

I didn't know that the lifetime subscription was relatively new. I'm new to TIVO and I must say that TIVO is a great product. I hope the lifetime subscription is still there when I buy my next one.

James

It's not new. They had it before 2006. It's just that in 2006 they dropped it and then brought it back in 2007.

EDIT: I just checked. They brought it back in November 2007. So when I got my first TiVoHD at launch, that must have been one I got on monthly service for $6.95 a month. That was my only monthly box. I transferred that $6.95 a month rate to a Premiere when they launched. And last November, TiVo let me transfer that $6.95 a month rate to a Roamio Basic. Plus gave me a slight discount on the Basic. Otherwise I would have never bought one. And they let me put lifetime on the Premiere for only $99. I still need to sell that box though.

EDIT: And i also see that when I got my OLED S3 boxes in 2006 that they had expensive monthly options. So I got the three year pre-pay option which was $299. Which worked out to $8.31 a month. Which sucked at the time since they didn't have lifetime. But it was the cheapest option for the long haul at the time.

post #736 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:

It's not new. They had it before 2006. It's just that in 2006 they dropped it and then brought it back in 2007.

EDIT: I just checked. They brought it back in November 2007. So when I my first TiVoHD at launch, that must have been one I got on monthly service for $6.95 a month. That was my only monthly box. I transferred that $6.95 a month rate to a Premiere when they launched. And last November, TiVo let me transfer that $6.95 a month rate to a Roamio Basic. Plus gave me a slight discount on the Basic. Otherwise I would have never bought one. And they let me put lifetime on the Premiere for only $99. I still need to sell that box though.

aaronwt.......Thanks, what I should have said was, I'm glad the lifetime subscription was back when I bought my TIVOs. Also, I like your avatar. Looks like an optical diffraction pattern.
James
post #737 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

aaronwt.......Thanks, what I should have said was, I'm glad the lifetime subscription was back when I bought my TIVOs. Also, I like your avatar. Looks like an optical diffraction pattern.
James

I got the pic from the www.spaceweather.com site. It is a picture of multiple ice halos around the Sun(or is it the moon?). I think it was taken in the Arctic.

EDIT: I added the moon. I see stars in the pic so I think it was the moon and not the sun.

post #738 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:

I got the pic from the www.spaceweather.com site. It is a picture of multiple ice halos around the Sun. I think it was taken in the Arctic.

Cool. It looked like the diffraction pattern one sees when they star test a telescope.
James
post #739 of 1082 Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:

I got the pic from the www.spaceweather.com site. It is a picture of multiple ice halos around the Sun(or is it the moon?). I think it was taken in the Arctic.

EDIT: I added the moon. I see stars in the pic so I think it was the moon and not the sun.

Yep, the moon makes more sense.
James
post #740 of 1082 Old 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Can someone tell me if the processor in the Roamio Plus is faster than in the base Roamio?

If I go with the base Roamio I don't want it to be sluggish in a year or two after software updates, etc.
post #741 of 1082 Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post

Can someone tell me if the processor in the Roamio Plus is faster than in the base Roamio?

If I go with the base Roamio I don't want it to be sluggish in a year or two after software updates, etc.

They are both the same. Only the Roamio Basic has four tuners. They are both just as fast with UI navigation.

post #742 of 1082 Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm looking at getting a Roamio base and throwing a cable card in it (where is the slot?). It'd be replacing a TiVo HD, which required a tuning adapter. I'm assuming the Roamio doesn't need any such thing, correct?
post #743 of 1082 Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
I'm looking at getting a Roamio base and throwing a cable card in it (where is the slot?). It'd be replacing a TiVo HD, which required a tuning adapter. I'm assuming the Roamio doesn't need any such thing, correct?
I'm OTA only, but there's a cable-card door on the bottom of a base Roamio, and I believe you will still need a tuning adapter if your cable company uses SDV channels.
post #744 of 1082 Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I'm OTA only, but there's a cable-card door on the bottom of a base Roamio, and I believe you will still need a tuning adapter if your cable company uses SDV channels.
I looked into it a little bit, and you're correct. I will still need the tuning adapter for SDV. Was really hoping they'd have figured out a way to get that built into the latest TiVo's, but apparently not.
post #745 of 1082 Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The TA is not built into a Tivo (or WMC) because it's a cable system specific device, owned by them. Yes, you'd think they would've come up with a software solution instead, but this is a cable problem not Tivo's.
post #746 of 1082 Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The TA is not built into a Tivo (or WMC) because it's a cable system specific device, owned by them. Yes, you'd think they would've come up with a software solution instead, but this is a cable problem not Tivo's.
Judging from the stuff I was reading when I got my Roamio and TWC Tunning adaptor installed, some DVRs (TiVo) need it and others don't. Maybe I'm simply misinformed, but I wouldn't be so quick to de-blame TiVo.

I certainly do blame TiVo for making the top end Roamios cable only, thus leaving you to the tender mercies of your cable co, even in cases like mine where an OTA escape hatch would have been practically possible.
post #747 of 1082 Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
Judging from the stuff I was reading when I got my Roamio and TWC Tunning adaptor installed, some DVRs (TiVo) need it and others don't. Maybe I'm simply misinformed, but I wouldn't be so quick to de-blame TiVo.
It's hard to say who's at fault. Here's the explanation from TiVo's support site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo
Two-way communication is required
Before you can view or record a program on an SDV channel, your box must be able to send channel requests back to the cable headend. Roamio Series, Premiere Series, and Series3/HD DVRs are one-way devices, so they cannot send the required channel requests.
Now, that sounds like if they just made the damn things two-way devices, we wouldn't have this problem. Maybe there's a sound technical reason (i.e. it'd be specific to each cable co.), or maybe they're just being cheap since many customers aren't affected by SDV. I figured in the 7 years since I got my TiVo HD, they would have sorted out this thing and made two-way communication possible, but apparently not.
post #748 of 1082 Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
It's hard to say who's at fault.

Now, that sounds like if they just made the damn things two-way devices, we wouldn't have this problem. Maybe there's a sound technical reason (i.e. it'd be specific to each cable co.), or maybe they're just being cheap since many customers aren't affected by SDV. I figured in the 7 years since I got my TiVo HD, they would have sorted out this thing and made two-way communication possible, but apparently not.
I think that the Cable card is the problem. Who provides that?

If tuning adapters were reliable and could be counted on to run for Months without rebooting there would really not be a problem. I don't have any experience with the Motorola TA. However, the Cisco TA seems to hang after a period of time. The length of time seems to be associated with the number if tuning requests. Probably a memory leak. Since vendors such as Cisco never seem to run their products for long periods of time without rebooting it is unlikely that the problem will be found and fixed.

My method of coping with the problem is rebooting the Cisco TA every 45 to 6o days.
post #749 of 1082 Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The MAIN reason the ads annoy me (aside from not really being relevant to my interests) is that they are at times in the way. I want to strangle whomever took Charmins money to make an extra CATEGORY on the main menu, meaning if I want to turn my tivo off (aka standby), which I can do without a screen (tivo button, page down, select, page down, select), it suddenly DOESNT do because I accidentally hit the ad (that I'm not even viewing anyway). Tivo seems to switch from having the ad there to somewhere else. I know the Roamio is newish still, but this kind of pathetic that they have to widget it in like that. It's a good thing I like Charmin because it almost makes me want to NOT buy any product advertised that way, if at least to prove a point (advertising stuff in such an annoying way has the exact opposite effect that's intended on the consumer).

Anyway, with that rant being said, the idea of them trying to monetize with ads does not bother me. My crappy 10 year old comcast Scientific Atlanta DVR had it's crappy software effectively upgraded to new Xfinity crappy software so banner ads could be added to every guide page (and selectible like a channel...often happening by accident). I know this sounds like a heavy lowering of the bar, but the fact remains that beyond some really ignoramic design issues as to how they place their ads, the idea that the Roamio has a few, comparatively, isn't THAT big of a deal (especially given older/crappier DVR's do it, not to mention my Plasma TV has ads too I noticed...).

In summary, I dont like it, but all Tivo REALLY should be doing is fixing where they put those ads, because adding it to the main menu on the bottom at random is incredibly in the way.
post #750 of 1082 Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

well at least the Summer update is rolling out to the people who signed up for early access.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page