TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 26 - AVS Forum
First ... 24  25  26 27  28  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams.
MordredKLB's Avatar MordredKLB 03:00 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
I think that the Cable card is the problem. Who provides that?

If tuning adapters were reliable and could be counted on to run for Months without rebooting there would really not be a problem. I don't have any experience with the Motorola TA. However, the Cisco TA seems to hang after a period of time. The length of time seems to be associated with the number if tuning requests. Probably a memory leak. Since vendors such as Cisco never seem to run their products for long periods of time without rebooting it is unlikely that the problem will be found and fixed.

My method of coping with the problem is rebooting the Cisco TA every 45 to 6o days.
All cable cards are two-way capable. The device itself is always the issue. There might be a good reason TiVo doesn't support it, and there might not be. I do know it's not the cable card though.

I've got a Cisco TA, and it stops working around every 4 weeks for me too. Seems to be most likely to happen when I leave the TA on a SDV channel before going to bed. About 75% of the time, just unplugging the TA will fix the problem. The other 25% of the time I have to unplug both the TA and the TiVoHD and then plug them back in (my Tivo hasn't been able to do boot up after a soft reboot in years). Not an ideal solution, and one that causes no amount of frustration when my wife encounters blank channels. If you've got a Roamio and are still having the same problems with the TA it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1 03:09 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post
The MAIN reason the ads annoy me (aside from not really being relevant to my interests) is that they are at times in the way. I want to strangle whomever took Charmins money to make an extra CATEGORY on the main menu, meaning if I want to turn my tivo off (aka standby), which I can do without a screen (tivo button, page down, select, page down, select), it suddenly DOESNT do because I accidentally hit the ad (that I'm not even viewing anyway). Tivo seems to switch from having the ad there to somewhere else. I know the Roamio is newish still, but this kind of pathetic that they have to widget it in like that. It's a good thing I like Charmin because it almost makes me want to NOT buy any product advertised that way, if at least to prove a point (advertising stuff in such an annoying way has the exact opposite effect that's intended on the consumer).

Anyway, with that rant being said, the idea of them trying to monetize with ads does not bother me. My crappy 10 year old comcast Scientific Atlanta DVR had it's crappy software effectively upgraded to new Xfinity crappy software so banner ads could be added to every guide page (and selectible like a channel...often happening by accident). I know this sounds like a heavy lowering of the bar, but the fact remains that beyond some really ignoramic design issues as to how they place their ads, the idea that the Roamio has a few, comparatively, isn't THAT big of a deal (especially given older/crappier DVR's do it, not to mention my Plasma TV has ads too I noticed...).

In summary, I dont like it, but all Tivo REALLY should be doing is fixing where they put those ads, because adding it to the main menu on the bottom at random is incredibly in the way.
There is no point in putting a tivo on standby, all that does is stop the image from outputting. The tivo is still on, it doesnt decrease power consumption, the drive is still buffering and recording.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 05:18 PM 07-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
There is no point in putting a tivo on standby, all that does is stop the image from outputting. The tivo is still on, it doesnt decrease power consumption, the drive is still buffering and recording.
While I don't use standby and as you mention it still records and buffers. Putting the TiVo in standby can prevent the EAS(Emergency Alert System) tests from interrupting recordings. Some areas have the tests done alot and also during prime time. So it will screw up any recording occurring at the time.

Since the recording goes to the EAS screen for a few minutes and you will miss that part of the show. In standby it is not supposed to be affected by it.
Distorted's Avatar Distorted 09:15 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
well at least the Summer update is rolling out to the people who signed up for early access.
Just got my Roamio Pro. To what does the above post refer, please?
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:26 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Just got my Roamio Pro. To what does the above post refer, please?
The SUmmer software update.

Here is info about it in a quote from TiVo Community from TiVo Margret.. A TiVo VP of Design..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret
(sorry for the delay in posting these)

We have begun updating TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Mini boxes with the 20.4.2 "Summer Update". There is still time to request an early update with tivo.com/priority. Customers that don't request a priority update will be automatically updated by the end of the month.

Here are some of the changes:
- TiVo Premiere and TiVo Mini boxes will now have the same visual look as TiVo Roamio. (Colors & font.)
- The UI is now written in Haxe instead of Adobe Air/Flash, which is why things are faster than in 20.4.1.
- My Shows now offers an optional left-column with a list of categories you can turn on/off & rearrange to make it easier to find the show you're looking for. Categories include: All, Partially watched, Going away soon, TV Series, Movies, Kids, Sports, News, Suggestions, Video Providers, and Devices. Use the A button in My Shows to change these settings.
Video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmbXU4PlU[/media]

- If you press INFO on a show in the Guide, it will indicate if that episode is available from a video provider, so you can watch it right away.
- HuffPost Live app now available in Apps & Games
- Fixed a problem where large recordings couldn't always be permanently deleted from the recently deleted folder
- Fixed issues related to video freezing when the TiVo's HDMI was connected to an Xbox
- DVR diagnostics should now correctly report QAM modulation
- Fixed issues related to HDMI snow appearing when YouTube videos changed frame rate
- Default recording options should now be respected when a WishList is set up from Search
- Fixed performance problems related to transferring video from a Roamio
- Fixed the occasional bursts of static some customers would randomly hear
- Fixed the pixelation that would appear at the beginning of downloaded videos

--Margret

Distorted's Avatar Distorted 07:29 AM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The SUmmer software update.

Here is info about it in a quote from TiVo Community from TiVo Margret.. A TiVo VP of Design..
Thanks, apparently mine automatically updated as I have the categories feature now.
hubcityraider's Avatar hubcityraider 02:18 PM 07-24-2014
I am confused about how to hook up a Mini to a Roamio Basic that will be used for only OTA.

My antenna drop goes from a Winegard LN-200 pre-amp to the associated powered amp and then to an 8 way splitter. My Roamio will be at the end of one of these coax runs while my Mini will be at the end of another one. The Roamio will be right next to my cable modem and Asus router, so hooking it up directly to Ethernet is the plan. What then do I need to get the Mini proper hard wired in?

From what I've read it seems like I need a MoCA box somewhere in the line, but I have concerns about the powered amplifier in the line. Then maybe a POE and maybe not.
Alternatively I could run an Ethernet line from my router to the Mini with some difficulty that I would like to avoid if possible.
PGDave's Avatar PGDave 02:49 PM 07-24-2014
Has anyone had any luck getting RSS feeds on the Roamio? I tried following the instructions on Tivo's web site but was unable to get any feeds even though some URL's seemed to be properly entered and accepted.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 08:59 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityraider View Post
I am confused about how to hook up a Mini to a Roamio Basic that will be used for only OTA.

My antenna drop goes from a Winegard LN-200 pre-amp to the associated powered amp and then to an 8 way splitter. My Roamio will be at the end of one of these coax runs while my Mini will be at the end of another one. The Roamio will be right next to my cable modem and Asus router, so hooking it up directly to Ethernet is the plan. What then do I need to get the Mini proper hard wired in?

From what I've read it seems like I need a MoCA box somewhere in the line, but I have concerns about the powered amplifier in the line. Then maybe a POE and maybe not.
Alternatively I could run an Ethernet line from my router to the Mini with some difficulty that I would like to avoid if possible.
The mini can use MoCA or Ethernet. The Roamio Basic doesn't have built in MoCA. So if you plan to use MoCA with the Mini you would need a MoCA adapter on the other end to create a MoCA network.

I guess the amp would need to be a two way amp to work with MoCA. Not sure though. But MoCA signals are also very strong.

In my setup my thre Minis are currently using MoCA. I got an Actiontec MoCA adapter with GigE LAN ports. Then my Roamio Pro and Roamio Basic are using Ethernet. Well GigE for the Pro.
Hyrax's Avatar Hyrax 01:05 PM 07-25-2014
I had a funny thing happen yesterday. I fixed the problem by resetting the tuner, and thought I'd explain the situation to save others the hassle of talking to Tivo or Comcast/cable co.

I was channel surfing and suddenly could not get any channels. There were no error message, nothing telling me the channels were not authorized...all I saw was a big, blank (black) screen. Then the channels came back, but I determined that that was because Tivo changes tuners when surfing if another tuner is already on that station. So I swapped tuners, and all of tuners except one were showing something. The tuner that showed nothing was supposedly tuned to channel 702 (local PBS).

I then went to my DVR diagnostics and looked at each tuner. The info for the first tuner was completely blank. Every other tuner was showing a signal and was tuned to a particular channel - but no tuner was showing channel 702. I figured the cable card had failed and was anticipating yet another afternoon waiting for Comcast to send a truck over. Before calling them, I thought I'd try to reset the cable card. There is no easy way to do this, so I went the 'unplug everything route'. I unplugged the cable card from the Tivo. Then unplugged the Tivo. Waited 10 minutes, plugged the cable card back into the Tivo, and then plugged the Tivo back in. Cable card was reset and all of the tuners are now working.

Note this is not restarting the Tivo. That doesn't automatically reset the cable card.
JimP 05:43 AM 07-26-2014
So if you have a Roamio basic in the living room which is only setup for OTA and is already hooked up to ethernet on your home wired router, you can pick up programming to it from another room using a mini (including Tivo subscription) and ethernet hard wired in another room.

Sounds like a great idea except for the additional Tivo subscription. All these monthly subscriptions are adding up.
Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1 06:20 AM 07-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Sounds like a great idea except for the additional Tivo subscription. All these monthly subscriptions are adding up.
So then buy lifetime.
slowbiscuit 07:13 AM 07-26-2014
Yep, Minis are $174 lifetime with the fleabay discount codes. I bought 3 at that price to go with my upgraded Plus.
hifiaudio2's Avatar hifiaudio2 03:04 PM 07-30-2014
Are you talking about the fleabay sellers who offer a discount "service"? I just started looking today and noticed these sellers. Is this reputable?

Second completely unrelated question... I searched this thread for Hdhomerun and didnt get much, so I dont know if this has been addressed. How is the quality of the basic Roamio tuner vs a first or second gen, and even current gen HDhomerun? I am considering moving from WMC to Tivo and it would be nice if the tuners were more sensitive, rejected interference better, etc. Anyone know?
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:19 PM 07-30-2014
No idea. My Roamio Basic picks up the same channels that my Premiere does. Which also picks up the same channels that my Series 3 TiVo from 2006 did, which also picked up the same channels that my HDTiVo from 2004 did. And the HDTiVo picked up the same channels that my HiPix PC cards picked up that I had been using since 2001.
Rletson's Avatar Rletson 12:10 PM 07-31-2014
A prospective Tivo-newbie general query:

Charter is about to convert our area to all-digital and (unless they've experienced a conversion on the road to St. Cloud) all-encrypted, which means that our perfectly-useful arrangement of three QAM-equipped Philips DVRs feeding a Samsung flatscreen (via a rat's nest of powered splitters and switching/distribution boxes and mostly bypassing Charter's Motorola STB except for upper-mid-tier channels) are about to be rendered 95% useless--unless, of course, we rent a Charter decoder box for each device, which would make them only about 60% useless. Add one of their mediocre DVRs for $20/month and our already excessive cable bill would become deeply offensive.

So the time has come to reconfigure via a Tivo Roamio, probably the 4-tuner model, and feed it via a CableCard from Charter. Our situation: We're too far from the Twin Cities for OTA to be an option, and in any case enjoy the mid-tier programming we get via cable. We time-shift a lot, and programs can pile up, but three Philips machines allow us to eventually see (and almost always erase) everything we care about. Some shows we do save to DVD, but less and less as the university library acquires nearly everything my wife requests (bless all librarians). We don't care about non-cable streaming sources or mobile devices or even extra tellies--we're old-fashioned living-room couch potatoes.

So four tuners seem enough, and the up-front cost of the Roamio and a lifetime Tivo subscription would be amortized over two or three years, and Charter can go pound sand for its overpriced extra boxes. We already have WiFi DSL (*not* Charter's) for the internet part of the setup, and I am prepared for several varieties of technical incompetence and/or obstructionism from the local Charter office when we ask for a CableCard. I've read most of this thread and most of the Amazon reviews and Q/As and wonder whether there are any gotchas I've missed. We have a couple of weeks to explore options and generally gird our loins. (And since I see names familiar from the standard-def DVD recorders sub-forum here, I'm confident I'll get steered straight.)
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 05:11 PM 07-31-2014
You have two choices: A TiVo Roamio or a HTPC running Windows Media Center and equipped with a cable-card PC tuner such as Silicon Dust or Ceton. You could probably do the HTPC for less than a TiVo depending on what you have laying around that could be re-purposed. However, TiVo would be the easiest to get running and maintain and is very reliable.

Once you get it set up with your cable card it will just work. What you need to investigate is what extra fees Charter will sneak onto your bill. You will be renting a cable card so they know you have something plugged into their cable. some companies charge an outlet fee and/or an HD surcharge etc. Find out what the recurring monthly fees will be with a TiVo or renting their DVR so you can accurately gage your break-even point. They are not going to lose any money on you.

You can try and sell the DVD Recorders on eBay to cover some of your initial costs.
ncted's Avatar ncted 10:29 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Are you talking about the fleabay sellers who offer a discount "service"? I just started looking today and noticed these sellers. Is this reputable?

Second completely unrelated question... I searched this thread for Hdhomerun and didnt get much, so I dont know if this has been addressed. How is the quality of the basic Roamio tuner vs a first or second gen, and even current gen HDhomerun? I am considering moving from WMC to Tivo and it would be nice if the tuners were more sensitive, rejected interference better, etc. Anyone know?
Some folks who had Premiers claim that the Roamio Basic's OTA tuner is better. As with anything OTA, YMMV.
ctgene's Avatar ctgene 03:40 PM 08-07-2014
Noob here, read a lot here and always get good advice. I have an interest in getting the Tivo Roamio plus and 1 or 2 mini's from the fleabay contact mentioned here in previous posts.

I have 3 TV's, one of which is a Vizio 3d TV that has a cable card slot. If I use a cable card with the Vizio would it work with the Tivo plus and one mini or would I be better off just getting the plus and two mini's. I realize I would need two cable cards, one for the Plus and one for the Vizio if I decide to go with one mini. My house is wired with coax so I know I need a Moca adapter also to make this all work.

I haven't seen this brought up before or if it has I missed it. I am going to go with the Tivo setup as I'm tired of paying for 3 boxes and a dvr from the cable guys. Just need information to make the right decision.
ncted's Avatar ncted 07:27 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgene View Post
Noob here, read a lot here and always get good advice. I have an interest in getting the Tivo Roamio plus and 1 or 2 mini's from the fleabay contact mentioned here in previous posts.

I have 3 TV's, one of which is a Vizio 3d TV that has a cable card slot. If I use a cable card with the Vizio would it work with the Tivo plus and one mini or would I be better off just getting the plus and two mini's. I realize I would need two cable cards, one for the Plus and one for the Vizio if I decide to go with one mini. My house is wired with coax so I know I need a Moca adapter also to make this all work.

I haven't seen this brought up before or if it has I missed it. I am going to go with the Tivo setup as I'm tired of paying for 3 boxes and a dvr from the cable guys. Just need information to make the right decision.
Putting the cable card in the Vizio would probably not get you much as most (all?) cable card TVs are unidirectional, while most cable companies have moved to Switched Digital Video (SDV). Depending on your specific circumstances, you may not be able to tune several cable channels on that TV if you use the cable card. I think your better option would be to get a mini for the Vizio TV as you could then watch recorded content as well as live content on it. I hope that helped.

Ted
slowbiscuit 08:20 AM 08-08-2014
The cablecard slot in the Vizio just gets you live TV, assuming you're on a good cableCo like Comcast that doesn't use SDV. Way better to spend the extra $174 (w/code) to get a Mini for that set, because you get live TV and all your recorded stuff on the Tivo. You also only need to pay for one Cablecard then.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 08:50 AM 08-08-2014
When did they start putting cable cards back in TVs? sounds like a recent TV if it has 3D. I thought CCs in TVs went the way of the Dodo bird.....
I agree though, money better spent to put the CC in the mini than TV.
ctgene's Avatar ctgene 10:14 AM 08-08-2014
Thanks for all the good advice, I think I will bite the bullet and just get the extra mini...
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 10:23 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
When did they start putting cable cards back in TVs? sounds like a recent TV if it has 3D. I thought CCs in TVs went the way of the Dodo bird.....
I agree though, money better spent to put the CC in the mini than TV.
Yes i thought it had been many years since they had Cable cards in TV. My 2005, Sammy, 1080P DLp set had a cable card slot. Although I never used it since the idea of watching TV in realtime made no sense to me.
rcoe's Avatar rcoe 04:10 PM 08-08-2014
How are these at playing files from a networked server? I have a windows home server box with a bunch of videos in various codecs, will I be able to stream these? I will be using a wired network.
slowbiscuit 09:00 AM 08-09-2014
Sure, just get pyTivo.

https://github.com/wmcbrine/pytivo/
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 12:01 PM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
How are these at playing files from a networked server? I have a windows home server box with a bunch of videos in various codecs, will I be able to stream these? I will be using a wired network.
Using TiVo Desktop software on my Media-PC/server I have only been able to play .tivo and .mpg files -- both coded as MPEG-2. The TiVo didn't recognize any other files like .m2ts, .ts or .mkv.

It is supposed to understand H.264, but I've never tried it. Needless to say, compared to a real media streamer like a WDTV Live the TiVo is very, very limited it what it can do.

@slowbiscuit -- I'm not familiar with Pytivo. Can it transcode files into the formats that TiVo accepts?
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 09:30 PM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Using TiVo Desktop software on my Media-PC/server I have only been able to play .tivo and .mpg files -- both coded as MPEG-2. The TiVo didn't recognize any other files like .m2ts, .ts or .mkv.

It is supposed to understand H.264, but I've never tried it. Needless to say, compared to a real media streamer like a WDTV Live the TiVo is very, very limited it what it can do.

@slowbiscuit -- I'm not familiar with Pytivo. Can it transcode files into the formats that TiVo accepts?
Using just TiVo Desktop mine have no problem with MP4 files. I used to have TiVo Desktop push them to my TiVos. But for the last few months I a switched to PyTiVo and KMTTG instead of using TiVo Desktop. But either way my Roamios, Premiere, and Minis can all play the MP4 videos.

The TiVo will need to work with a transcoding program to view alot of content. But then That is what I use real media players for. SInce they can play back the content natively.. I would never try to use my TiVos for that.
slowbiscuit 09:00 AM 08-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yep, uses ffmpeg to transcode (if needed), certain native mp4 formats can be transferred as-is when pushed from the server to the Tivo. Can also use streambaby to stream from server instead of transferring, but I wouldn't recommend it due to >1GB file size issues (has to rebuffer larger files when Tivo limit is hit). With Roamios and Premieres the transfer time is so fast you really don't need to stream.

https://code.google.com/p/streambaby..._compatibility
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 12:41 PM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep, uses ffmpeg to transcode (if needed), certain native mp4 formats can be transferred as-is when pushed from the server to the Tivo. Can also use streambaby to stream from server instead of transferring, but I wouldn't recommend it due to >1GB file size issues (has to rebuffer larger files when Tivo limit is hit). With Roamios and Premieres the transfer time is so fast you really don't need to stream.

https://code.google.com/p/streambaby..._compatibility
OK, so PyTiVo actually transfers like TiVo Desktop instead of streaming like StreamBaby.

With TiVo Desktop I can see my TiVo server displayed at the bottom of the Roamio's playlist. I click on it, it opens the server and displays all the transferred recordings arranged by show. I pick one and can play it within seconds of starting the transfer. So I am pulling from the server.

Does PyTiVo offer the same server-pull functionality? Does it appear in the TiVo playlist so you can open it up and select a server-based recording to play?
Tags: Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr
First ... 24  25  26 27  28  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop