TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #781 of 797 Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
My daughter and her husband just moved into a house and have FIOS with very limited cable runs around the house. Naturally, they are not where they would like them to be. So daddy is helping them come up with a strategy for doing what they want.

So, question about the Mini. A leading solution will be a TiVo Roamio and a couple Mini's. My understanding is that the mini functions to provide live TV by capturing one of the Roamio tuners. Can someone explain to me how that works with regards to releasing the tuner back to the Roamio when the Mini is not in use? Is there a button on the Mini remote to cause the Mini to power-down or go into standby and release the tuner? Can that be tied to toggle the HDTV power at the same time?

Please don't tell me it captures it permanently.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 797 Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
OK, so PyTiVo actually transfers like TiVo Desktop instead of streaming like StreamBaby.

With TiVo Desktop I can see my TiVo server displayed at the bottom of the Roamio's playlist. I click on it, it opens the server and displays all the transferred recordings arranged by show. I pick one and can play it within seconds of starting the transfer. So I am pulling from the server.

Does PyTiVo offer the same server-pull functionality? Does it appear in the TiVo playlist so you can open it up and select a server-based recording to play?
I know with me running KMTTG and PyTiVo it does. I can have specific folders from a PC show up at the bottom of My Shows list. Then I can select a title and begin transferring. And then start watching right away. I guess it is all PyTiVo doing that part?

My only complaint is that with Tivo desktop running if I looked at the folder on my PC, the shows would automatically show up in it's own folder when viewing from a TiVo. With my current setup with KMTTG and PyTivo, I have to manually put the shows in folders on the PC for them to show up in folders when viewing from the TiVo.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #783 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Does PyTiVo offer the same server-pull functionality? Does it appear in the TiVo playlist so you can open it up and select a server-based recording to play?
Yep, that's exactly how I use it. Also lets you stream mp3s from a separate music folder too.
post #784 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, question about the Mini. A leading solution will be a TiVo Roamio and a couple Mini's. My understanding is that the mini functions to provide live TV by capturing one of the Roamio tuners. Can someone explain to me how that works with regards to releasing the tuner back to the Roamio when the Mini is not in use? Is there a button on the Mini remote to cause the Mini to power-down or go into standby and release the tuner? Can that be tied to toggle the HDTV power at the same time?

Please don't tell me it captures it permanently.
Live TV tuner is dynamically allocated - if you hit the Tivo or left button to go back to main menu it releases the tuner, or if you go 4 hours without pressing a button it does the same (idle timer).

I don't think the Mini releases the tuner when you power down the HDTV it's connected to, if it's still on live TV. You'd think it would since it can tell the HDMI connection is gone, but I don't think it does.
post #785 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Live TV tuner is dynamically allocated - if you hit the Tivo or left button to go back to main menu it releases the tuner, or if you go 4 hours without pressing a button it does the same (idle timer).

I don't think the Mini releases the tuner when you power down the HDTV it's connected to, if it's still on live TV. You'd think it would since it can tell the HDMI connection is gone, but I don't think it does.
No it doesn't. At least none of my three Minis do.

LED DLP

post #786 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No it doesn't. At least none of my three Minis do.
Are you disagreeing with his first paragraph (going to the menu or four hours) or the second (detecting when TV is off), or both?
post #787 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you, good to know. I can guarantee the HDTV will simply be shut off and leave the mini hanging onto the tuner (I know my daughter) for the 4 hr timeout period.

So let's try this scenario:
4-tuner Roamio, 1 mini
Roamio is recording shows on tuners #1 & #2
Tuner #3 is being watched live at the Roamio
Tuner #4 is captured by the mini (either being watched live or in that 4hr timeout period)

Event:
Roamio wants to start a scheduled 3rd concurrent recording -- so now 3 tuners at the Roamio will be engaged in recording content, leaving 1 "free" tuner.

So what happens:
Does the Roamio take back tuner #4 allocated to the mini for the 3rd recording?
- or-
Does the Roamio try to use tuner #3 for the 3rd recording and make the viewer at the Roamio decide whether or not to accept giving up the tuner for the recording?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #788 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
Are you disagreeing with his first paragraph (going to the menu or four hours) or the second (detecting when TV is off), or both?
He's saying that TV power off does not release the tuner, I checked TCF and they say the same. I have 3 Minis but never checked this myself, I never run out with my 6-tuner Plus.
post #789 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So let's try this scenario:
4-tuner Roamio, 1 mini
Roamio is recording shows on tuners #1 & #2
Tuner #3 is being watched live at the Roamio
Tuner #4 is captured by the mini (either being watched live or in that 4hr timeout period)

Event:
Roamio wants to start a scheduled 3rd concurrent recording -- so now 3 tuners at the Roamio will be engaged in recording content, leaving 1 "free" tuner.

So what happens:
Does the Roamio take back tuner #4 allocated to the mini for the 3rd recording?
- or-
Does the Roamio try to use tuner #3 for the 3rd recording and make the viewer at the Roamio decide whether or not to accept giving up the tuner for the recording?
Not sure what the priority is, but I know it will ask either the local watcher or the Mini watcher whether it's ok to change channels for the recording. It won't take back the Mini tuner without asking (same as local), in other words.
post #790 of 797 Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
All my Minis will hold on to a tuner after turning a Tv off. Not sure if the time period is still four hours though since I have not timed it in a while.

LED DLP

post #791 of 797 Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Maybe this worth a new thread start, but I figured that I'd ask here first...

While it's clear that TiVo's LIfetime is tied to the unit, is it true that it is transferrable to a new unit, for a price, maybe 200 bucks? I thought I had read this somewhere... And if true, would this work if the current Lifetime is with a DirecTV account?

Thanks for any input you might have...
post #792 of 797 Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM

For those interested, $50 dollars off any Roamio purchase with code: MMA. Seems to only work on the TiVo website...

Looks like $399 for Lifetime is the best deal now...

EDIT / ADD: Amazon has it for 170. Even though it's cheaper direct from TiVo, with the discount code, I just ordered it via Amazon and paid less than 85 dollars delivered. Discover CashBack was $30 off and Amazon gave me a $70 gift card as I applied for an Amazon Rewards Visa card, which I had been eye-balling anyways...

Can one still use TiVo's "trick" features without service?

Last edited by TonyB1966; Yesterday at 12:19 AM.
post #793 of 797 Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You get a 7-day trial without service, after that you can't record or use the guide. You can watch live TV and what you have recorded already, but no internet apps.

Just pay the $399 and move on, lifetime is not transferable from another unit.
Kelson and TonyB1966 like this.
post #794 of 797 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Quote:
You get a 7-day trial without service, after that you can't record or use the guide. You can watch live TV and what you have recorded already, but no internet apps.

Just pay the $399 and move on, lifetime is not transferable from another unit.
Thank you slowbiscuit.

From what I've read, there have been lifetime transfers, albeit for special circumstances, and via apparent special offers. Wasn't sure of anything now, but it looks like $399 is it (a discount compared to $499).

The 7-day trial, I was not aware, so that is good to know. I know I will like TiVo. I've had it before with DirecTV and PrimeStar, which was consumed by DirecTV. Heck, I was employed at TiVo back in the day, in San Jose. I think it was called their Knowledge Department. I don't feel so "knowledgeable" these days though, lol.

I'm in a tough OTA reception area, and the Channel Master's DVR+ tuner didn't cut the mustard as it had me lose a couple valuable borderline channels that I get somewhat well with the TV's tuner. This will be the challenge for the Roamio and it's 4 tuners. Hoping all goes well...

With no service, I can still watch live TV (for me, experiment with OTA reception further), watch previously recorded programs, but lose the internet apps. To be clear, trick TV will still exist, correct? Back in the day, no service still allowed for manual record, think VCR, and trick play. Sounds like any type of saved recording is tied to service...

Thanks again.
post #795 of 797 Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
I'm in a tough OTA reception area, and the Channel Master's DVR+ tuner didn't cut the mustard as it had me lose a couple valuable borderline channels that I get somewhat well with the TV's tuner. This will be the challenge for the Roamio and it's 4 tuners.
The Roamio tuners are quite good -- better than the Premier and on par with the TiVo HD. The 7-day trial will let you evaluate how they perform in your reception area without having to lay out for the lifetime sub. That will make it easy to return the TiVo if it can't pull in your channels.

It will be very useful if you were to post a comparison of the Roamio tuners and the DVR+ tuners. That question has been asked several times and nobody has been in a position to answer it. You seem in an ideal situation -- your HDTV gets all the channels, the DVR+ does not, you have a Roamio on the way to see how it does in comparison.

A lot of people would appreciate you posting a comparison.
TonyB1966 likes this.

- kelson h

post #796 of 797 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Kelson, I returned the DVR+ several weeks ago, but I kept detailed notes with all of my testing of various antennas and now DVR's. I actually have one more antenna coming this Friday, a DB4-E. FWIW, I also have a Tablo coming today...

The big thing are those 2 fringe channels. Oddly, if Roamio had a 2 tuner model, I would have bought that as the hope would be that it would degrade the signal less (fewer splits)... I'm guessing that the Roamio supplies amplification to minimize loss via splitting...

If the Roamio can have me retain the current reception level of those 2 important channels (FOX and CBS), it will be a keeper. Ideally, it would be great, if reception improved of course. Apparently Samsung tuners are quite good, by accounts I've read, so I suppose it will have a tough comparison...

I can still test the tuner after the 7 day period too, at least that is my understanding. Between the new antenna, Tablo arriving, work, and looming biz travel, I'll likely need more than a week. Hoping trick TV will work also with no service, after those 7 days...

Last edited by TonyB1966; Yesterday at 10:07 AM.
post #797 of 797 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you keep trick play. They had disabled that at some point on the Premieres (with no service) but added it back with a later update.

I think you will really like the Roamio, assuming it gets the channels you want reliably.
TonyB1966 likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page