TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #841 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sam Biller (sbiller) over at TCF says Mini support was dropped because they chose a cheaper Broadcom chip.
Everything the TiVo does is a function of the firmware so lack of cable and mini support and ??? could have been done by simply cutting those parts out of the Roamio Basic firmware -- they still sell the same box. If they really degraded the hardware to make a cheaper box, that is worrisome. A cheaper CPU chip will probably mean slower menu response and possibly hit the network performance. But, in particular, did they also make the tuner cheaper. The Premier OTA tuner was never very good for pulling in marginal stations. The Roamio Basic put in a better tuner on par with the TiVo HD OTA tuner that locks onto stations well.

If they really did cheapen the hardware in the Roamio OTA box then people considering it should be wary of the OTA tuner and test it thoroughly before the BestBuy return period. It would be best to do that when there are leaves on the trees.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know if the lack of Mini support also mean that it will not allow you to stream between this new box and a Roamio/Premiere? No Mini support seems to imply that it will also not stream, but if it is true then I think this new box is a huge mistake. I've got a two tuner Premiere that I use for OTA recording. I might be interested in this new box if it had a better tuner than the Premiere, but I have no interest if it will not stream content.
post #843 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Does anyone know if the lack of Mini support also mean that it will not allow you to stream between this new box and a Roamio/Premiere? No Mini support seems to imply that it will also not stream, but if it is true then I think this new box is a huge mistake. I've got a two tuner Premiere that I use for OTA recording. I might be interested in this new box if it had a better tuner than the Premiere, but I have no interest if it will not stream content.
I think we may have missed the whole point of the OTA Roamio.

Most of us here are aware of the value of the TiVo user interface and capabilities. The OTA Roamio seems to be aimed at Cord Cutters that will no longer have access to the DVR offered by their former Cable Supplier. The low cost of entry coupled with a Monthly Subscription that is lower than their DVR Fee is a pretty good incentive for a cable cutter.

After their first year commitment is up many of these cord cutters will, hopefully, be ready for the FULL TiVo experience and they will not have spent any more than 12 Months of DVR rental at $20 per Month. That is $48 divided by 12 plus $15.95.

That seems to me to be very astute marketing by TiVo.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #844 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
The OTA Roamio seems to be aimed at Cord Cutters that will no longer have access to the DVR offered by their former Cable Supplier. The low cost of entry coupled with a Monthly Subscription that is lower than their DVR Fee is a pretty good incentive for a cable cutter.
Except for the point I made above:
Quote:
This fee will not attract newly-minted cord cutters away from the DVR+. When you read their comments they feel they have liberated themselves from the monthly TV fee and put an absolute premium on a DVR solution that has no recurring fee -- no fee OTA TV is a religious experience for them. For that they are willing to put up with a reduced feature set and occasional missed recordings.
Follow any of the cheap DVR threads here in this forum and you will see what I mean about the cord-cutters. They are rabidly anti-monthly-subscription. Whenever they attack TiVo it is always based on the existence of a monthly fee. When you point out that a lifetime subscription is available they ignore it and the next poster will come in spouting the anti-subscription mantra.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #845 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Follow any of the cheap DVR threads here in this forum and you will see what I mean about the cord-cutters. They are rabidly anti-monthly-subscription. Whenever they attack TiVo it is always based on the existence of a monthly fee. When you point out that a lifetime subscription is available they ignore it and the next poster will come in spouting the anti-subscription mantra.
Very much agree! Many people seem infatuated with Tivo's monthly fee(as I was before I found out about the lifetime option) when you tell them a "lifetime" option is available they come back with is it my lifetime or the box?? of course they know it's the box at which point they grumble off. Of course if one purchased a DVR like the Moxi or any other $400-500 HD DVR without a monthly(or lifetime) fee and it quit out of warranty they'd also be SOL, Moxi or whoever wouldn't give them a new box for 1/2 price or any discount for that matter, they'd have to purchase a new full price box. No I agree with one of the other posters, Tivo should offer the new OTA DVR as a $399 HD DVR with NO fees. Don't call it lifetime, call it a no monthly fee option. I'm tired hearing people bitch about the "lifetime" option, just market it as a no monthly fee option for $399 or a $49 box with a monthly fee.
jamez68 likes this.
post #846 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
. . . when you tell them a "lifetime" option is available they come back with is it my lifetime or the box?? of course they know it's the box at which point they grumble off.
Forgot about that one. Another of my favorites.

Quote:
No I agree with one of the other posters, Tivo should offer the new OTA DVR as a $399 HD DVR with NO fees. Don't call it lifetime, call it a no monthly fee option. I'm tired hearing people bitch about the "lifetime" option, just market it as a no monthly fee option for $399 or a $49 box with a monthly fee.
How about they sell it like a car. You can buy it up front for $xx if you can afford it. But if it is too much for you to swing up front, you can lease it with just a small $50 down payment -- then after 3 yr of the lease you get the option to buy it for $99.

Works for me.

- kelson h

post #847 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Guys, I know this a Roamio thread, but I just found one of my two old Lifetime TiVos, in a box at my dad's house... Well, this one is not all that old being a TiVo HD. This doesn't have wifi, right? I have a USB network adaptor here somewhere.... wouldn't mind comparing the tuner on this thing to the Roamio's...
post #848 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Guys, I know this a Roamio thread, but I just found one of my two old Lifetime TiVos, in a box at my dad's house... Well, this one is not all that old being a TiVo HD. This doesn't have wifi, right? I have a USB network adaptor here somewhere.... wouldn't mind comparing the tuner on this thing to the Roamio's...
I have a Roamio and an HD. The tuner in the Roamio is better.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #849 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
I have a Roamio and an HD. The tuner in the Roamio is better.
Thank you. I had heard that the TiVo HD was quite good... I remain impressed with Roamio's tuner.

If I get Lifetime on the Roamio, add it to the account with the TiVo Hd, I can get Lifetime for $399, I guess with what's called the multi service discount. If I later sell or give away the TiVo HD (a friend really wants it), and only have one TiVo on this account, will TiVo then charge me 100 dollars more because just one box will be on the account?
post #850 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nope, Once you pay for lifetime you can do as you wish with the old box. However, the original box has to remain on your account (in other words don't have your friend setup a new Tivo account and register it) if you want to get additional multi-service discounts in the future. That can get awkward if they needs support, so you might tell him/her it will cost you $100 to give him/her the box. Also, I believe life time will be $299 with the discount unless prices went up since I got mine.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #851 of 967 Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Thank you Hyrax.

Good information. So, if I were to sell it (TiVo HD) later, like to a stranger, not my friend, what would happen? He says that I'd get some pretty good $ for it...

About when did you purchase your Lifetime, for $299?

As I recall, Lifetime is $499. The discount is $100, so $399 is the deal now, at least that is my understanding....
post #852 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Lifetime used to be $299 with the Mulit-service discount. $399 without. A few years ago it was raised to $499. And $399 with a multi-service discount.

In the past I always used the PLSR code to get lifetime service on my TiVos. WHich made the cost the same as with the multi-service discount. That way those TiVos could be a qualifier for lifetime service. And since I typically sold my TiVos after a few years this has worked out well. Although I'm not sure if the PLSR code is still valid. It was for many years though and the last time I used it was with a Launch Roamio Pro last year.
TonyB1966 likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #853 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If I get Lifetime on the Roamio, add it to the account with the TiVo Hd, I can get Lifetime for $399, I guess with what's called the multi service discount. If I later sell or give away the TiVo HD (a friend really wants it), and only have one TiVo on this account, will TiVo then charge me 100 dollars more because just one box will be on the account?
It can be a little more complicated if you read the fine print -- you better check the TOS on the web site. You said that TiVo HD+lifetime was sitting in a box. In order to get the multi-disccount you have to have one active TiVo that is full subscription on your account. Active means it has connected to the TiVo server in the last 12 or 18 months (I forget which it is). I also believe I read that if a lifetime TiVo is disconnected for a certain period of time it is declared inactive (i.e. they assume it broke and you threw it out) and the lifetime is deactivated. So you need to plug in that HD and get it operational.

The comes the matter of full subscription. When you bought lifetime for that HD did you pay full price or did you get it as multi discount. You only get multi-discount if you have an active TiVo with a full price subscription on your account. I have an active HD with full price subscription. When I bought my Roamio I got the multi-discount for lifetime. If I sell and transfer my HD at a future point, when I buy my next TiVo I will have to pay full price for the lifetime.

- kelson h

post #854 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Lifetime used to be $299 with the Mulit-service discount. $399 without. A few years ago it was raised to $499. And $399 with a multi-service discount
They raised the price of the lifetime subscription when they dropped the price of the box.

- kelson h

post #855 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone.

Was up a bit late trying to educate myself on TiVo's Lifetime and MSD. Indeed, not at all clear, as evidenced by this discussion:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485068

There are other ones too that pose an equally confusing situation...

When I spoke with TiVo, I was told so long as the TiVo HD "dialed-in" within 6 months, that would be no problem - for me to get $399 on the Roamio.

The TiVo HD does not have built-in WiFi. I tried a network adaptor, and apparently it was not the right type. No phone service yet at this new house, and actually, we might not get landline service again (have had Ooma for several years at the previous home). So, I'm scrambling to find a long Ethernet line (to reach the router), for mothership connection...

Apparently there is Lifetime, and then there is "anchor Lifetime", or something to that effect. This TiVo HD was not a discounted Lifetime as I recall.
post #856 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
The TiVo HD does not have built-in WiFi. I tried a network adaptor, and apparently it was not the right type. No phone service yet at this new house, and actually, we might not get landline service again (have had Ooma for several years at the previous home). So, I'm scrambling to find a long Ethernet line (to reach the router), for mothership connection...
There are Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapters.. If all it needs to do is touch base an download programming data; (no streaming, or transfer to other TiVos) it should be more than enough. And there are also Powerline Network adapters too. My HT rack (TiVo Roamio, Roku3, Amazon FireTV, AVR) connects via Powerline. Works great, and it supports both streaming & program transfer to the TiVo HD upstairs.

Don't buy the TiVo branded WiFi adapter. I had one for my TiVo HD and it died after three years.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #857 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
There are Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapters.. If all it needs to do is touch base an download programming data; (no streaming, or transfer to other TiVos) it should be more than enough. And there are also Powerline Network adapters too. My HT rack (TiVo Roamio, Roku3, Amazon FireTV, AVR) connects via Powerline. Works great, and it supports both streaming & program transfer to the TiVo HD upstairs.

Don't buy the TiVo branded WiFi adapter. I had one for my TiVo HD and it died after three years.
The TiVo Wi-Fi adapters that my GF uses with her two S3 TiVos have been working great for many years. There has never been an issue with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #858 of 967 Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Lifetime used to be $299 with the Mulit-service discount. $399 without. A few years ago it was raised to $499. And $399 with a multi-service discount.

In the past I always used the PLSR code to get lifetime service on my TiVos. WHich made the cost the same as with the multi-service discount. That way those TiVos could be a qualifier for lifetime service. And since I typically sold my TiVos after a few years this has worked out well. Although I'm not sure if the PLSR code is still valid. It was for many years though and the last time I used it was with a Launch Roamio Pro last year.
aaronwt, thanks again. The code still works. This is what it reveals after entry:

$399.99 / TiVo Lifetime Service Rollover Promotion
post #859 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some folks over on tivocommunity.com claim to be able to get lifetime on old Tivo HD units for $99. YMMV.
post #860 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Can you beam Google Play content to the Roamio? I was reading it uses the same standard as Chromecast which I love. How does this feature compare to Chromecast? I have a Roamio on the way and was curious if I could part ways with my Chromecast.
post #861 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Tivo should offer the new OTA DVR as a $399 HD DVR with NO fees. Don't call it lifetime, call it a no monthly fee option. I'm tired hearing people bitch about the "lifetime" option, just market it as a no monthly fee option for $399 or a $49 box with a monthly fee.
I agree with this. They did offer one at one time, when it was built into a Toshiba DVD player, and Pioneer DVD Recorder about 10 years ago.

And they should also remove a lot of the features associated with people who pay. 2-3 day tv guide, as oppsed to 2 week for subs. No Season's pass. No APPS. Must be programmed like a VCR.

I am sure a lot of people would b*tch about that as well.
post #862 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I do have questions about my newly purchased TIVO Roamio. I have the standard 4-tuner version. I did the Guide set-up already, and downloaded the latest software(although my software is 23.8.5, whereas on TIVO website they say the latest is 24.0.2 or something. Cannot force that update to come in).

Anyway, I activated my TIVO service(monthly), but I am still waiting on my M-Card(and Tuning Adapter) from Time Warner, as my local office does not carry them, and I had to order it, which ticked me off, but what can I do. I will probably get it Wednesday or later. I have TWC out of Akron, OH, but I am located in NW Pennsylvania.

I have read alot of OK stories about TWC compatibility, and some HORROR stories, which has me worried. Because of TWC using Switch Digital Video. Anyone out there use TWC, and is there experience good/bad/worth it?

I am trying to get as much info as possible because if the Cable Card, and/or Tuning Adapter needs a constant reboot, they kiss my A**. I only have a 15 day window, I think, through Best Buy to return this thing for a full refund, but a 30 day window from TIVO to cancel at no Penalty for NEW CUSTOMERS($75 canc. fee if after one month).

just like to know anyone who has experience with this unit, and especially TWC. Anyone in Eastern Ohio, or NW Pennsylvania, would even be better.
post #863 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Roamio is a huge step up in convenience from the InfiniTV 4 card tuner I was using in a WMPC previously, but some of the things it omits features wise just make me shake my head.
post #864 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Vudu and Amazon streaming is coming shortly.

post #865 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Vudu and Amazon streaming is coming shortly.
are those supposedly in the fall update? That would pretty much completely eliminate my use of anything but the Roamio Pro for streaming movies and shows right now.
post #866 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Tanner View Post
are those supposedly in the fall update? That would pretty much completely eliminate my use of anything but the Roamio Pro for streaming movies and shows right now.
Not sure but at Zatz they said it could come as early as September.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/...oming-to-tivo/

post #867 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 PM

The Roamio really shined today on college football Saturday! I gave the Tablo duty as well, typically the first half of the game to Tivo, and the 2nd half to Tablo... From a tuner, reception perspective, the Tablo had issues a fair amount of the time. I believe it was bandwidth-related, as opposed to the tuner. Our down and up speeds are typically more than adequate, but not so at times today I guess...

In what places can one see a channel's SNR (signal to noise ratio) on the TiVo? I saw it somewhere, I think DVR Diagnostics... It would be great if one could customize the data provided, like on the Info button, to display what each of us feels is helpful information. Having SNR data is something I find important here...

EDIT / ADD: Yes, it's DVR Diagnostic, but the SNR is the same for all channels - 22 dB. Hmmmm....

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-30-2014 at 08:11 PM.
post #868 of 967 Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
I do have questions about my newly purchased TIVO Roamio. I have the standard 4-tuner version. I did the Guide set-up already, and downloaded the latest software(although my software is 23.8.5, whereas on TIVO website they say the latest is 24.0.2 or something. Cannot force that update to come in).

Anyway, I activated my TIVO service(monthly), but I am still waiting on my M-Card(and Tuning Adapter) from Time Warner, as my local office does not carry them, and I had to order it, which ticked me off, but what can I do. I will probably get it Wednesday or later. I have TWC out of Akron, OH, but I am located in NW Pennsylvania.

I have read alot of OK stories about TWC compatibility, and some HORROR stories, which has me worried. Because of TWC using Switch Digital Video. Anyone out there use TWC, and is there experience good/bad/worth it?

I am trying to get as much info as possible because if the Cable Card, and/or Tuning Adapter needs a constant reboot, they kiss my A**. I only have a 15 day window, I think, through Best Buy to return this thing for a full refund, but a 30 day window from TIVO to cancel at no Penalty for NEW CUSTOMERS($75 canc. fee if after one month).

just like to know anyone who has experience with this unit, and especially TWC. Anyone in Eastern Ohio, or NW Pennsylvania, would even be better.
SDV/TA operation supposedly has improved on TWC. I have not tried it in a couple of years, but when I did, it was very unreliable. I hope your experience is better. If it works for you, it will be light years better than anything TWC can offer otherwise. You should know within a few days if it is going to be problematic. Best of luck!
post #869 of 967 Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM

With Tablo out of the picture, I'm considering the TiVo Stream...

It looks like it was first released about 2 years ago. Has there been any hardware changes to this device since? I'm guessing not, and I wonder what would be changed if TiVo were to refresh the Stream...

A WishList question as it has been a long time for me... What would be a smart way to record all Green Bay Packers games? Thanks much.
post #870 of 967 Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Setup a wish list. I have one setup for the Redskin games.

It's setup for Sports, HD, Redskins, NFL, and football. WIth it my Roamio Pro records all the Redskin games that are in HD. Which is all of them.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-02-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page