TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 31 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams.

HDTV Recorders

TonyB1966's Avatar TonyB1966
07:45 PM Liked: 24
post #901 of 1377
09-09-2014 | Posts: 405
Me too kamouflage. "Pending restart" now... My Account shows "We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours."

Anyone else contemplating another? I'm certainly thinking about it...
eric102's Avatar eric102
08:23 PM Liked: 12
post #902 of 1377
09-09-2014 | Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Me too kamouflage. "Pending restart" now... My Account shows "We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours."

Anyone else contemplating another? I'm certainly thinking about it...
At this price you should have one in every room, I'm up to 4 and thinking about adding 2 more.
Hyrax's Avatar Hyrax
09:42 PM Liked: 17
post #903 of 1377
09-09-2014 | Posts: 2,578
Would a remote Mini work if I connected to my home network over a VPN?
10:47 PM Liked: 24
post #904 of 1377
09-09-2014 | Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I'm totally new to the Mini, but logically, one would think it possible. Given that the TiVo Stream does not, per this Amazon reviewer, I'm guessing that the Mini won't either:

"TiVo Stream has made it very easy for my wife and I to transfer shows to our iPads when we go on trips but the live streaming of recorded content is hit or miss. The Stream isn't always able to generate the connection and we get an error. I was also extremely disappointed to learn that TiVo has deliberately prevented connection to the Stream over VPN. I'm giving it 4 stars in the hope that they unlock that ability someday... please?"

Bought another Mini tonight for my home office. I'll pick it up tomorrow...
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
06:36 AM Liked: 477
post #905 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 10,529
I see the on-line price of the Mini has already jumped to correspond with the TiVo offer. BestBuy has it at $150 and Amazon has it at $135. You can search around and find it for under $100 from a couple places but I suspect those prices will be short-lived. I found it at ABT for $88.50 and just ordered one.

Bottom line is if you even think you would want one, don't drag your feet with indecision and order it, like now.
ncted's Avatar ncted
08:06 AM Liked: 17
post #906 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I doubt the high latency of a VPN connection across the Internet would allow for this. Many folks have trouble getting the Mini to work well across local networks.

-Ted
08:07 AM Liked: 24
post #907 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 405
Indeed. That is why I bought over the phone yesterday, twice. I figured that I just need two though. I'll get a Stream too at some point for the mobile devices...
CptnRandy's Avatar CptnRandy
08:37 AM Liked: 13
post #908 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 2,973
Hey all,

I've just gone through another knock-down-drag-em-out fight with U-verse and and seriously sick of the continual bill changes and cost. So once again I'm looking at cutting the cable.

Here's my question for all of you is this: can a Tivo Romio and Tivo Minis with an antenna work for me? I have 6 TVs to connect, need to record multiple programs at the same time, and do it all wirelessly.

From what I'm reading wireless is the weakness for Tivo Minis currently. Any recommendations?
09:07 AM Liked: 24
post #909 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRandy View Post
Hey all,

I've just gone through another knock-down-drag-em-out fight with U-verse and and seriously sick of the continual bill changes and cost. So once again I'm looking at cutting the cable.

Here's my question for all of you is this: can a Tivo Romio and Tivo Minis with an antenna work for me? I have 6 TVs to connect, need to record multiple programs at the same time, and do it all wirelessly.

From what I'm reading wireless is the weakness for Tivo Minis currently. Any recommendations?
Hey CptnRandy. It's working well for us, and we live in a tough reception area. Do you have good OTA reception at your location? If you dont' know, you can go to tvfool.com and put in your address to find-out...

We have found that with the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS), along with streaming devices (Roku, Chromecast, etc), we are fine from a programming perspective. The Roamio satisfies the DVR side exceptionally well. I tried a couple others...

As far as getting programming to multiple TVs, that can be done from the antenna down lead itself, feeding into a multi-port distribution device. It can be an amplified device if the runs are long or signal strength not so good...

Or, with the Roamio, I have found that this can bring live TV and your TiVo's recordings to another location, without the need to run a coax there. You'd need to run an Ethernet cable (or MoCA) though...

Very liberating to cut the cord. Start to experiment and see if you and the family will be satisfied...
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
09:09 AM Liked: 477
post #910 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 10,529
Quote:

Roamio basic for OTA has 4 tuners and only 3 can be simultaneously allocated to Minis. You might be better served with a pair of Roamio Basics and 4 Minis.

Mini does not work with wireless adapters and requires an ethernet cable (or Moca). You may be able to get away with bridge routers if your wireless is strong and fast enough but I would look into Powerline Adapters instead. I have Netgear AV500's around the house to extend the main network to the remote viewing areas. PLA's are situational and may not provide the bandwidth needed at all locations -- you have to try it out.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
09:10 AM Liked: 854
post #911 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 22,184
Quote:
Hey all,

It works fine with the Roamio Basic and OTA. The only issue is the Roamio Basic only has four tuners and a 500 GB hard drive. So you might want to upgrade it. So with six Minis it will work fine, but if you have a bunch of people using those Minis at the same time, then two Roamio Basics and five Minis might be a better solution.

I use a Roamio Basic for OTA alongside my Roamio Pro on FiOS. My Minis have no issue with the Roamio Basic. And in a few seconds I can quickly change my host TiVos if I want. But not really necessary since the Minis can stream from an S4 or S5 on the network and on the same account. So you can watch any show recording or previously recorded. But you need to use the Host TiVo for live TV which of course will use a tuner if available.
CptnRandy's Avatar CptnRandy
10:44 AM Liked: 13
post #912 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It works fine with the Roamio Basic and OTA. The only issue is the Roamio Basic only has four tuners and a 500 GB hard drive. So you might want to upgrade it. So with six Minis it will work fine, but if you have a bunch of people using those Minis at the same time, then two Roamio Basics and five Minis might be a better solution.

I use a Roamio Basic for OTA alongside my Roamio Pro on FiOS. My Minis have no issue with the Roamio Basic. And in a few seconds I can quickly change my host TiVos if I want. But not really necessary since the Minis can stream from an S4 or S5 on the network and on the same account. So you can watch any show recording or previously recorded. But you need to use the Host TiVo for live TV which of course will use a tuner if available.
Thanks all for the replies - very helpful!
ncted's Avatar ncted
11:22 AM Liked: 17
post #913 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Roamio basic for OTA has 4 tuners and only 3 can be simultaneously allocated to Minis. You might be better served with a pair of Roamio Basics and 4 Minis.

Mini does not work with wireless adapters and requires an ethernet cable (or Moca). You may be able to get away with bridge routers if your wireless is strong and fast enough but I would look into Powerline Adapters instead. I have Netgear AV500's around the house to extend the main network to the remote viewing areas. PLA's are situational and may not provide the bandwidth needed at all locations -- you have to try it out.
Yeah, I would only try wireless bridge routers or PLAs in desperation. Many people have had problems getting Minis to be reliable with Tivos and Minis on different switches. First choice is ethernet, then MoCA, then the more exotic solutions.
11:49 AM Liked: 24
post #914 of 1377
Just picked-up my 2nd Mini, and this one is in an orangish box. The other one came in a very different designed box, like the Roamio. Does this denote anything important?

Just found a depiction here:

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-06/tivo...mio-treatment/

Maybe a different remote?

To play it extra safe, I went back BB and switched Mini's to get the green box one....
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
06:45 PM Liked: 854
post #915 of 1377
09-10-2014 | Posts: 22,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Just picked-up my 2nd Mini, and this one is in an orangish box. The other one came in a very different designed box, like the Roamio. Does this denote anything important?

Just found a depiction here:

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-06/tivo...mio-treatment/

Maybe a different remote?

To play it extra safe, I went back BB and switched Mini's to get the green box one....
The one in orange boxes are the older ones. They changed the packaging earlier this Summer to the green color that I guess matches the Roamio Better. The one I got from Amazon today was in a green box. While the one I got in the SPring, and my two launch Minis were in orange boxes.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
10:56 AM Liked: 477
post #916 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 10,529
Quote:
I see the on-line price of the Mini has already jumped to correspond with the TiVo offer. BestBuy has it at $150 and Amazon has it at $135. You can search around and find it for under $100 from a couple places but I suspect those prices will be short-lived. I found it at ABT for $88.50 and just ordered one.
Well this may be very short-lived. Although when I ordered it was listed as in-stock, the order confirmation EMAIL sent withing minutes indicated it was back-ordered. Within an hour it was de-listed on the ABT website as being a "discontinued product". By last evening it was back on the website but at $139 -- still back-ordered 2-4 weeks. So it remains to be seen whether or not they will honor my $88.50 order price or force me to cancel the order.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
12:30 PM Liked: 854
post #917 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 22,184
The Mini I got from amazon for $85 worked. I just entered the TiVo Service Number on the activation page. Then when I checked my account, it showed that I had lifetime Service on the Mini. My cost was $90 after taxes. So $90 for a lifetime Mini is much better than the $250 each I paid for my two launch Minis in early 2013.
12:41 PM Liked: 24
post #918 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 405
Indeed, great deal! With tax in CA, 95.70 here... Both are Lifetime on my account, and I even took a screenshot and saved it, just in case... I don't imagine that would happen.
kamouflage's Avatar kamouflage
03:09 PM Liked: 57
post #919 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 360
I hope everyone got in on this deal while it lasted. Looks like the well is about to dry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MordredKLB's Avatar MordredKLB
04:58 PM Liked: 15
post #920 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
I hope everyone got in on this deal while it lasted. Looks like the well is about to dry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally missed out which sucks because I'm in the market for two in the next week. I guess that's what I get for not reading this forum every day. What was the old cost of the Mini + Lifetime?
Warner2Bruce
05:01 PM Liked: 26
post #921 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 291
Quote:
I have a simple wishlist with 2 keywords:
Eagles and NFL.
I also pad the wishlist with 1hr on the backside.

This has recorded every Philadelphia Eagles game on any channel for the last 5 seasons and has the Sunday season opener already queued up in the ToDo list.

I would suggest for you:
Packers and NFL
Quote:

Does Amazon sell the Netgear 500's? I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...erline+adapter

and this single: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...3A62FAQRTPPMBA

to connect to two mini's I just bought. But, wondering if I made a mistake.
Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1
05:06 PM Liked: 68
post #922 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
I totally missed out which sucks because I'm in the market for two in the next week. I guess that's what I get for not reading this forum every day. What was the old cost of the Mini + Lifetime?
$85 from amazon or $88 from frys. I got in on 2 from frys and price matched the last mini from local best buy for $88. 3 minis with lifetime for $270!

Now I have to get a roamio but with the new Tivo Roamio Ultra HD announced today with more powerful processor and 4K, going to have to wait and see price and release date.
kamouflage's Avatar kamouflage
07:18 PM Liked: 57
post #923 of 1377
09-11-2014 | Posts: 360
Quote:
I want to say the mini was $100 and lifetime was $150 or something crazy like that.
ncted's Avatar ncted
07:14 AM Liked: 17
post #924 of 1377
09-12-2014 | Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Does Amazon sell the Netgear 500's? I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...erline+adapter

and this single: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...3A62FAQRTPPMBA

to connect to two mini's I just bought. But, wondering if I made a mistake.
Amazon has a nice return policy. You could see if they work for you, and if not, return them and order something else.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
09:20 AM Liked: 477
post #925 of 1377
09-12-2014 | Posts: 10,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
$85 from amazon or $88 from frys. I got in on 2 from frys and price matched the last mini from local best buy for $88. 3 minis with lifetime for $270!

Now I have to get a roamio but with the new Tivo Roamio Ultra HD announced today with more powerful processor and 4K, going to have to wait and see price and release date.
According to the TiVo site, the free lifetime offer only extends to Jan 6. If you are going to wait to get a Roamio you should check if you can activate a mini without having a Roamio. If you wait until after Jan 6 to activate you may not get the free lifetime deal.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
09:24 AM Liked: 477
post #926 of 1377
Quote:
I'm waiting to see if ABT will honor the $88 price I ordered it for. If not, I still want one and the $135 price from Amazon is still better than the old $250 price for mini+lifetime.
Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1
09:27 AM Liked: 68
post #927 of 1377
09-12-2014 | Posts: 706
Quote:
According to the TiVo site, the free lifetime offer only extends to Jan 6. If you are going to wait to get a Roamio you should check if you can activate a mini without having a Roamio. If you wait until after Jan 6 to activate you may not get the free lifetime deal.
thanks, im aware of the deadline. Im going to wait till i receive the other 2 minis that are on the way before i activate them. im just hedging my bets because ive been doing good so far. just when im about to pull the trigger, they announce some good things. first it was the OTA Roamio announcement which was a bust (i'm OTA only) for not including lifetime and no mini's, then it was the mini sale which i jumped on, then i was about to get an ebay code for substantially reduces Roamio Basic, they announce this Ultra HD model and now i wait till they hopefully release more info about it. going to wait till the holidays hoping they announce and release something or another.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson
09:37 AM Liked: 477
post #928 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
. . . then i was about to get an ebay code for substantially reduces Roamio Basic, they announce this Ultra HD model and now i wait till they hopefully release more info about it. going to wait till the holidays hoping they announce and release something or another.
Do you have some information about an upcoming OTA transition to broadcasting 4K OTA?
Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1
09:42 AM Liked: 68
post #929 of 1377
09-12-2014 | Posts: 706
Quote:
Do you have some information about an upcoming OTA transition to broadcasting 4K OTA?
no, and i am aware that there will probably wont be any 4k ota broadcasts and if there are, it will be years. If they decide to include ATSC tuners in this, it has a better processor and it will support 4k apps like netflix, amazon, and most likely vudu. It will most likely be able to push and play 4k files and have better support for newly created apps, like the PlexTivo thats being worked on currently. Thats the reason i am interested in it, not the broadcasts.
12:44 PM Liked: 24
post #930 of 1377
09-12-2014 | Posts: 405
Have a question for the savvy TiVo users, those who use it for OTA.

What is the best way use the remote control to get to let's say channel 2.1 or 5.1? Right now I'm just selecting channel number 2 or 5, then channel up...
Tags: Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread