TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #961 of 989 Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
No, you can not use the CableCARD that is in a leased STB. That one is already tied to that particular box, the Cable Co would have a fit if you did.

You will need to rent a separate Retail CableCARD from your cable provider, they are usually ~$2/mo or FiOS charges $5 if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the reply.....Man, I hate giving Bright house ( TWC) one red cent more than I have to !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 989 Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
The best deal (discount) on the TiVo and Lifetime Service is with an ebay code, check out the 100% positive feedback. and the number he has sold.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Promo-D...-/221526395794
The seller needs to update this ad. Mini with lifetime is now $149.99 from Tivo.
post #963 of 989 Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
The seller needs to update this ad. Mini with lifetime is now $149.99 from Tivo.
It's not the seller, it's tivo. Go look at sellmoretivo.com
post #964 of 989 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjoe43 View Post
Thanks for the reply.....Man, I hate giving Bright house ( TWC) one red cent more than I have to !!
You won't. Once you get the new cable card fitted to the Roamio and it becomes your STB, you can return your current STB to Brighthouse and recover the monthly rental cost. I suspect the STB rental is more than the cable card rental will be in which case you will come out ahead.

Furthermore, you can use Mini's at other locations in the house to replace other STB's and recover their cost which will pay for the Mini over time.

Then there is the ability to use a server to store content from or feed content to your Roamio.

Just scratching the surface of the available capabilities.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #965 of 989 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quick Mini question

Does the Mini use the same RF remote as the Roamio?

I'm awaiting a Mini that I intend for the kitchen TV. The kitchen TV is about 15-20' and around a corner from the Roamio in the family room. Am I going to run into trouble with the RF remote for the Mini messing with the Roamio when someone changes channels, etc. in the kitchen?

What kind of range are we talking about for the RF remote.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #966 of 989 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Does the Mini use the same RF remote as the Roamio?

I'm awaiting a Mini that I intend for the kitchen TV. The kitchen TV is about 15-20' and around a corner from the Roamio in the family room. Am I going to run into trouble with the RF remote for the Mini messing with the Roamio when someone changes channels, etc. in the kitchen?

What kind of range are we talking about for the RF remote.
The Mini doesn't have built in RF so it comes with the IR remote. I am using the Slide Pro Remotes with my Minis. So I got the Slide Pro that comes with the USB dongle. So I can use it in RF mode with the Minis.

For me, I get excellent range from the TiVo RF remotes. I can be anywhere in my condo, with a Brick firewall and several layers of Drywall from other walls. And the remote will still work fine.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #967 of 989 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Mini doesn't have built in RF so it comes with the IR remote.
Excellent. Thanks.

- kelson h

post #968 of 989 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Will a Roamio work with the old IR remotes too or just RF? Right now I have 2 Tivos on my tv (for extra space and also for twin view P&P on my Sony tv). I still use the old remote that has the 1-2 switch to control both tivos. If I go with a Roamio pro I would get a mini to support my P&P usage. I don't want to have to have 2 remotes to control tuning on the roamio and the mini.

And yes, I have no use of the ABCD buttons on the new remotes because of this.
FYI both tivos go to my AVR via hdmi but one also connects to the tv via component since P&P doesn't support 2 hdmi inputs.
When I select the secondary screen as active, ARC kicks in and routes sound to the receiver.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #969 of 989 Old Today, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post
Will a Roamio work with the old IR remotes too
Yes, All older IR remotes work fine, it seems the IR window on the Roamio Pro has a slightingly less angle of sight, you need to point the remote almost directly at the faceplate.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #970 of 989 Old Today, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, All older IR remotes work fine, it seems the IR window on the Roamio Pro has a slightingly less angle of sight, you need to point the remote almost directly at the faceplate.
I think that depends a lot on the strength of the remote also. I use a Harmony 880 which has a strong LED and it controls the Roamio fine when it is pointed at the ceiling -- which is how my wife typically uses it.

- kelson h

post #971 of 989 Old Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I think that depends a lot on the strength of the remote also. I use a Harmony 880 which has a strong LED and it controls the Roamio fine when it is pointed at the ceiling -- which is how my wife typically uses it.
Yes. I can still point my Harmony One remote in any direction. Even at the floor, behind the couch. And it will still control my Roamio TiVos.

post #972 of 989 Old Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

With the Fall season premier week of Sept 22 coming soon, I was scrolling through the guide last night and setting Season Passes for all the new shows of interest. Something I noticed in the guide display that I don't remember seeing before -- there was the word "new" in the guide boxes for shows that were first run.

I'm scratching my head because I just can't remember. Was this a feature of the guide last season and I just never noticed or is this something that was added with the Fall firmware update?

- kelson h

post #973 of 989 Old Today, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I just put in my order at Amazon for a basic Romio. I currently have a digital cable box. As I read from the Tivo site, the Romio becomes a digital cable box with the M Card installed.
Now can I simply take out the M Card from the cable box and swap it into the Romio?
Or is that wishful thinking on my part?
Thanks.
The one in the TWC box is barricaded in there usually.
Call them and get them to mail you a card (and maybe an SDV box and coax and USB)
Then when you get the Roamio you can hook this up and call them to send the auth hits to the Roamio.
post #974 of 989 Old Today, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The best deal (discount) on the TiVo and Lifetime Service is with an ebay code, check out the 100% positive feedback. and the number he has sold.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Promo-D...-/221526395794
You don't need to pay for the PLSR code. Just sign monthly then upgrade to lifetime 30 days later with PLSR discount.
post #975 of 989 Old Today, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
You don't need to pay for the PLSR code. Just sign monthly then upgrade to lifetime 30 days later with PLSR discount.
The ebay deal seems to be better than $100 off of lifetime service. Not sure how that works.
post #976 of 989 Old Today, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

post #977 of 989 Old Today, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Okay so I picked up the Tivo mini. Then order a moca adapter after trying to wrap my head around how this thing works. Of course that lead me to the need of a POE filter which I managed to pick up at my local Comcast office. Anyways whereas I thought there was a single line coming into my basement, I still found my cables were coming from a couple of sources into a couple of splitters. Are these filters supposed to be installed inside a home or is that first branch of the cable line outdoors? None of the diagrams or discussions I've read have specified this.
post #978 of 989 Old Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
No need to sign up for monthly. You can go directly to Lifetime (via the code) and they still offer a refund up to the 30 days if you decide to punt.

| 
|
|
|
post #979 of 989 Old Today, 12:27 PM

OTA vs. Cable...Romio basic

How do folks switch between cable and OTA since there is one RF port ? An A/B switch perhaps ?
And does this confuse the box if you do a lot of switching ?
And yes, I'm a newbie....used to the DTV PAL.
THANKS !
post #980 of 989 Old Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
How do folks switch between cable and OTA since there is one RF port ? An A/B switch perhaps ?
And does this confuse the box if you do a lot of switching ?
And yes, I'm a newbie....used to the DTV PAL.
THANKS !
You don't switch between cable and OTA. You only use one or the other. Not both.

If you want to be able ot use both cable and OTA, you would need to get oe of the older Premiere Tivos. Which are two tuner DVRs. But can use OTA and cable at the same time. The Roamio Basic is teh only roamio that can handle ota. It has four tuners. But you can only use it with either OTA or cable. Not at the same time. The six tuner Roamio Pro/plus can only be used with cable.

post #981 of 989 Old Today, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Okay so I picked up the Tivo mini. Then order a moca adapter after trying to wrap my head around how this thing works. Of course that lead me to the need of a POE filter which I managed to pick up at my local Comcast office. Anyways whereas I thought there was a single line coming into my basement, I still found my cables were coming from a couple of sources into a couple of splitters. Are these filters supposed to be installed inside a home or is that first branch of the cable line outdoors? None of the diagrams or discussions I've read have specified this.
The Point Of Entry filter goes at the point of entry of cable TV into the home. Which is the main feed from your cable provider. Although if you have FiOS no POE filter is needed.

post #982 of 989 Old Today, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
The Point Of Entry filter goes at the point of entry of cable TV into the home. Which is the main feed from your cable provider. Although if you have FiOS no POE filter is needed.
So I guess you mean it would be outside my house? Fun times ahead for me. I have Comcast so I'll need it.
post #983 of 989 Old Today, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
No need to sign up for monthly. You can go directly to Lifetime (via the code) and they still offer a refund up to the 30 days if you decide to punt.
But the code is for existing ccustomers.
If you are existing just use the code. New customers sign monthly then go PLSR and save a net 85 bucks.
post #984 of 989 Old Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
But the code is for existing ccustomers.
Unless things have changed you don't need a code (at all) if you are an existing customer for $399 Lifetime. If you are new you use the code to save $100... if you purchased the TiVo from anyone but TiVo.

Also an important point about using it even if you a current sub...

The PLSR code is better the using the Multi-Service Discount. When you buy lifetime with MSD that unit can never be used to qualify another TiVo for MSD. So it can not be used as an MSD anchor even though it has lifetime. If you use the PLSR code that TiVo can be used as an anchor for future MSD discounts.

Way back I got burnt by selling off my unit that anchored the discounts.

| 
|
|
|

Last edited by Charles R; Today at 01:46 PM.
post #985 of 989 Old Today, 03:19 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
You don't switch between cable and OTA. You only use one or the other. Not both.

If you want to be able ot use both cable and OTA, you would need to get oe of the older Premiere Tivos. Which are two tuner DVRs. But can use OTA and cable at the same time. The Roamio Basic is teh only roamio that can handle ota. It has four tuners. But you can only use it with either OTA or cable. Not at the same time. The six tuner Roamio Pro/plus can only be used with cable.
Are you saying that once I set it up for cable, I can NEVER get OTA by switching inputs....like if the cable goes out? Or vice-versa?
post #986 of 989 Old Today, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Are you saying that once I set it up for cable, I can NEVER get OTA by switching inputs....like if the cable goes out? Or vice-versa?
Yes, you could switch from Cable to OTA, after swapping the coax, But you would need to re-run Guided Setup and chose the other option. This process could take 10-30 minutes to change and reload the guide data.

I am not sure if the CableCARD pairing would survive the switch over.
Also, your Season Passes would all be wrong, not sure if you could have both at the same time.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
post #987 of 989 Old Today, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Roamio was designed as an either or box, unlike the Premier. If you want pay TV service and OTA, Dish and perhaps DirecTV offer that as add-ons to their boxes.
post #988 of 989 Old Today, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Never say never but you need to rerun guided set up which would need an internet connection.
post #989 of 989 Old Today, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
The best one can do, I believe, is to have the cable coax and antenna coax run into an A/B switch, a remote controlled one even. The output to your TiVo. Switching between the two inputs would entail having to tell the TiVo that you want cable or antenna (Settings), then perform a scan... Sort of a pain-in-the-butt.

What might be desired is to have the antenna coax run straight to the TV, and the cable coax to the TiVo. This way if the cable goes out, just toggle your TV's input to "TV", and you are good for back-up TV...
SMHarman likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page