TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1051 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
My Channel Master 3414 is in the attic. I don't really want to mess with that. Can I use one of these splitters in the basement around my base Roamio instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Broadband-spli...=moca+splitter

http://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Broad...=moca+splitter
yes, but if the 3414 is not moca compatible and the minis connect directly to the 3414, it will not work.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
yes, but if the 3414 is not moca compatible and the minis connect directly to the 3414, it will not work.
The coaxial lead from that 3414 goes down to the basement where the Roamio is. If that lead is connected to the Moca adapter and the cable internet line is connected to the Moca adapter, are you considering that to be "directly connected" to the 3414?

Essentially, the 3414 is in the attic serving as a splitter sending my TV feed to 3 different televisions.

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 09-26-2014 at 07:05 AM.
post #1053 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 94
@ Warner2Bruce

You're getting good help here but if you continue to still have issues & questions, there is also a wealth of knowledge on Moca at http://www.tivocommunity.com.

I just joined recently and the forum members have been very helpful with all things related to Tivo.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #1054 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
@ Warner2Bruce

You're getting good help here but if you continue to still have issues & questions, there is also a wealth of knowledge on Moca at http://www.tivocommunity.com.

I just joined recently and the forum members have been very helpful with all things related to Tivo.
Yes I appreciate the help for sure! I've been over at the Tivo forum browsing and didn't find much about trying to establish a Moca connections for someone receiving OTA TV broadcasts.
post #1055 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The coaxial lead from that 3414 goes down to the basement where the Roamio is. If that lead is connected to the Moca adapter and the cable internet line is connected to the Moca adapter, are you considering that to be "directly connected" to the 3414?

Essentially, the 3414 is in the attic serving as a splitter sending my TV feed to 3 different televisions.
thats one end of the moca loop. the last part of the loop is the tivo mini.

im sorry, i dont know how i can make this any more clear, if this doesnt help, you will never get it. output 1 of 3414 to the tivo mini, output 2 to moca splitter that goes to the roamio and the moca bridge, then the moca traffic passes through the 3414. if the 3414 cant pass moca traffic, then it will not work.

post #1056 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
thats one end of the moca loop. the last part of the loop is the tivo mini.

im sorry, i dont know how i can make this any more clear, if this doesnt help, you will never get it. output 1 of 3414 to the tivo mini, output 2 to moca splitter that goes to the roamio and the moca bridge, then the moca traffic passes through the 3414. if the 3414 cant pass moca traffic, then it will not work.
Thank you for your assistance! All I was trying to do was verify that i can use one of the splitters I linked or the CM 3414 as the connection to the existing TV coax (an either or situation). But, it seems you are saying even if I utilize one of those splitters near the Roamio in my basement I still have to be sure that CM3414 amp is moca compatible for the ethernet signal to get to the minis. If it is, the only thing left to do to connect the mini's is use the TV coax to the back of each mini and I should be good to go.

I just wanted to explain the clarification I was trying to receive. I can tell you are frustrated in your assistance so I do not blame you if you don't want to reply. Tivo tech support was on the phone with my tech installers for over a good hour yesterday. So, I guess I can take a little comfort in that it's not only just me that sees use of Moca for an OTA situation as completely simple setup. Again, thanks for your help!
post #1057 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your assistance! All I was trying to do was verify that i can use one of the splitters I linked or the CM 3414 as the connection to the existing TV coax (an either or situation). But, it seems you are saying even if I utilize one of those splitters near the Roamio in my basement I still have to be sure that CM3414 amp is moca compatible for the ethernet signal to get to the minis. If it is, the only thing left to do to connect the mini's is use the TV coax to the back of each mini and I should be good to go.

I just wanted to explain the clarification I was trying to receive. I can tell you are frustrated in your assistance so I do not blame you if you don't want to reply. Tivo tech support was on the phone with my tech installers for over a good hour yesterday. So, I guess I can take a little comfort in that it's not only just me that sees use of Moca for an OTA situation as completely simple setup. Again, thanks for your help!
yes, you got it.

no frustration, just that i honestly didnt know how to simplify the exact same simple paragraph over.

post #1058 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Do the Netgears work even if they are not on the same side of the circuit?

I found them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerl...tgear+XAVB5101
YES. That is why I specifically cite the XAVB5101. My daughters case is exactly that -- the circuits between the Roamio and the Two Mini's pass across poles in the breaker box. The XAVB5201 do not work with the Mini in that case, the XAVB5101 do work. After I figured out he bought the wrong ones and before my son in-law returned the 5201 we did some outlet testing with a Mini. When we picked a circuit that was on the same pole as the Roamio, the XAVB5201 worked perfectly and as well as the 5101. So make sure you get the XAVB5101 with the GigE port. The link you cite is correct.

Quote:
I believe i would need 3 (one at the router and two at each of the tv's with the mini). Do you know if they make a single add on rather than having to purchase the two pack twice if I decide to go this route?
I don't believe they sell them as singles. I've never seen other than a two pack and that is how I've bought them (I have 4). You can always use the extra one to connect your main computer network and thus extend your house Ethernet network around your house. That is what I do. I have an AV500 upstairs attached to the main network switch. This allows my Roamio to communicate with the TiVo server I set up for transferring programs back and forth for off-line storage. In my case the Internet router is upstairs also and plugged into the main switch so this PLA arrangement is also needed for the Roamio to access the Internet. At my media center, the AV500 connects to an 8-port GigE switch (GS108). The Roamio and all my other AV components that need a network connection are plugged into that switch (Roamio, WD Live-SMP, BD Player, Wii, HDHR2 Network tuner, plasma TV). I'm sure you will find a use for the 4th adapter.

If it makes you feel any better, when I bought my first pair of AV500's a couple years ago they were well north of $100, so they have come down quite a bit.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1059 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
For anyone else in a similar boat, I found out the Channel Master 3414 distribution amp is moca compatible according to Channel Master. First rep I spoke to thought it didn't since it didn't say but I asked to verify for sure with tech support. Tech support came back saying it was moca compatible.
post #1060 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
YES. That is why I specifically cite the XAVB5101. My daughters case is exactly that -- the circuits between the Roamio and the Two Mini's pass across poles in the breaker box. The XAVB5201 do not work with the Mini in that case, the XAVB5101 do work. After I figured out he bought the wrong ones and before my son in-law returned the 5201 we did some outlet testing with a Mini. When we picked a circuit that was on the same pole as the Roamio, the XAVB5201 worked perfectly and as well as the 5101. So make sure you get the XAVB5101 with the GigE port. The link you cite is correct.

I don't believe they sell them as singles. I've never seen other than a two pack and that is how I've bought them (I have 4). You can always use the extra one to connect your main computer network and thus extend your house Ethernet network around your house. That is what I do. I have an AV500 upstairs attached to the main network switch. This allows my Roamio to communicate with the TiVo server I set up for transferring programs back and forth for off-line storage. In my case the Internet router is upstairs also and plugged into the main switch so this PLA arrangement is also needed for the Roamio to access the Internet. At my media center, the AV500 connects to an 8-port GigE switch (GS108). The Roamio and all my other AV components that need a network connection are plugged into that switch (Roamio, WD Live-SMP, BD Player, Wii, HDHR2 Network tuner, plasma TV). I'm sure you will find a use for the 4th adapter.

If it makes you feel any better, when I bought my first pair of AV500's a couple years ago they were well north of $100, so they have come down quite a bit.
Thanks for clarifying. I went ahead and ordered a moca adapter, splitter and ethernet cord to attemp Moca one more time before consider alternate routes. Hopefully, it works out as it is the cheaper route since you have to buy two pairs of the powerline adapters. But, I am glad to know there is another option.

I probably wouldn't even be considering this if I hadn't been able to snag a couple of the minis for $85 with lifetime. Believe or not, I actually prefer the simplified layout of the guide and menus on the DVR+ to the Roamio. Channel Master's lack of a whole home option also contributed to my decision to take the plunge on the mini's (even though CM says they are going to bring some type of a wifi whole home solution hopefully by Q1 2015.

What has been most annoying is Tivo's disappointing support on the issue. In my opinion, they could really benefit from more tech with the specialty of OTA users. But, I guesss that really isn't there main market though.
post #1061 of 1206 Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I went ahead and ordered a moca adapter, splitter and ethernet cord to attemp Moca one more time before consider alternate routes.
Good luck

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1062 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I have OTA and MOCA and it's not hard to do.

Your cable internet coax is and has to be separate from your OTA coax network.

It's very simple, connect your moca bridge to your router via Ethernet and then connect a piece of coax from the bridge to your OTA coax network to a splitter. . If you have powered splitters make sure they are bi directional.

The Roamio hooks to your router via Ethernet or wifi and the minis connect via coax. Done.
I really need help with the coax connection. The coax light is not on on the moca adapter so I know that isn't correct. First off, where does the antenna coax coming from my wall need to go?

I have the moca adapter connected to my router via an ethernet cord. I have my Roamio connected to the same router via an ethernet cable.

It is connected the coax and utilizing this splitter that I am confused about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 09-27-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #1063 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Tivo support is of no help on the issue.
post #1064 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I really need help with the coax connection. The coax light is not on on the moca adapter so I know that isn't correct. First off, where does the antenna coax coming from my wall need to go?

I have the moca adapter connected to my router via an ethernet cord. I have my Roamio connected to the same router via an ethernet cable.

It is connected the coax and utilizing this splitter that I am confused about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is either of your TiVo Minis connected to the OTA COAX? If not the light on the MOCA Adapter will not come on.

The COAX at the Minis needs to be attached to the splitter.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #1065 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
Is either of your TiVo Minis connected to the OTA COAX? If not the light on the MOCA Adapter will not come on.

The COAX at the Minis needs to be attached to the splitter.
I'm beginning to doubt it is quite as simple as what one poster suggested. I have the tv coax coming from the wall connected to the "catv in" port on the moca adapter. Then a piece of coax connected from the "out" port of the adapter to the "in" port on that splitter. Then a piece of coax from the "out" on the splitter to the "coax input" on the Roamio.

I connected the coax line from to the mini in another room and nothing changed. the coax light is still not lit up and the Mini itself says it has no internet connection.
post #1066 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to doubt it is quite as simple as what one poster suggested. I have the tv coax coming from the wall connected to the "catv in" port on the moca adapter. Then a piece of coax connected from the "out" port of the adapter to the "in" port on that splitter. Then a piece of coax from the "out" on the splitter to the "coax input" on the Roamio.

I connected the coax line from to the mini in another room and nothing changed. the coax light is still not lit up and the Mini itself says it has no internet connection.
Go to the Mini's menus and somewhere under network there should be a choice to select MOCA. I don't have a mini, but I think that you have to make thus choice.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #1067 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of this is over your head. Now that you gave us an idea of which bridge you bought with a coax in and out, you don't need that second splitter before the romaio.

Just read the simple directions on the bridge, I bet it has pictures that has a similar environment as yours. Coax from the wall to the in of the bridge, then coax out from the bridge to the romaio. Ethernet from the bridge to the router and Ethernet or wifi from the romaio to the router. Now the mini on the other end closes the mica network. That's how bits go around the coax.

Did you forget about the pre amp that's connected directly to the mini and now the bridge? We talked about it, did you see if it's bi directional? I bet you that's what's breaking the moca network. And I bet you that's why TiVo or that tech you hired can't get it to work. they have no obligation to troubleshoot that if you fail to mention it or research it if that's your fail point.
post #1068 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
All of this is over your head. Now that you gave us an idea of which bridge you bought with a coax in and out, you don't need that second splitter before the romaio.

Just read the simple directions on the bridge, I bet it has pictures that has a similar environment as yours. Coax from the wall to the in of the bridge, then coax out from the bridge to the romaio. Ethernet from the bridge to the router and Ethernet or wifi from the romaio to the router. Now the mini on the other end closes the mica network. That's how bits go around the coax.

Did you forget about the pre amp that's connected directly to the mini and now the bridge? We talked about it, did you see if it's bi directional? I bet you that's what's breaking the moca network. And I bet you that's why TiVo or that tech you hired can't get it to work. they have no obligation to troubleshoot that if you fail to mention it or research it if that's your fail point.
Yes I recall the Channel Master 3414 distribution amp we discussed. If you read a few posts up I called Channel Master and a tech said it's moca compatible.
post #1069 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Yes I recall the Channel Master 3414 distribution amp we discussed. If you read a few posts up I called Channel Master and a tech said it's moca compatible.
A single MOCA adapter connected to COAX will not have anything to connect to. The result is no connected light.

The second MOCA is in the MINI.

The MINI must be turned on and configured to use the built in MOCA Adapter instead of the Ethernet (LAN) Adapter. If the COAX is connected properly you should then get the connected light on the MOCA Adapter connected to the COAX and your LAN.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #1070 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
All of this is over your head. Now that you gave us an idea of which bridge you bought with a coax in and out, you don't need that splitter. .
What? Did you not know I was using the Action Tec moca adapter Tivo sells?

Either way, it isn't over my head. I had it setup this way: Coax from the OTA antenna at the front of the basement to the "in" on the Moca adapter. Another piece of coax from the "out" on the Moca adapter to the "in" coax input on the Roamio. An ethernet cord connected from the Moca adapter to the router. An ethernet cord from the Roamio to the same router. Tried connecting the OTA coax from a Mini in a different room to the back of it, but the "coax" green light on the mini never lights up. Just to make sure, the reason I have no green "coax" light lit up on the Action Tec is because I didn't choose it in the Tivo Mini's menu I went in and tried to choose to connect it to the network but it says it can not connect to the network.

That is exactly how users suggested over at the Tivo community forum suggested, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Like I said, I called Channel Master on Friday and they told me the 3414 distribution amp I am using is Moca compatible.

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 09-27-2014 at 07:12 PM.
post #1071 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
A single MOCA adapter connected to COAX will not have anything to connect to. The result is no connected light.

The second MOCA is in the MINI.

The MINI must be turned on and configured to use the built in MOCA Adapter instead of the Ethernet (LAN) Adapter. If the COAX is connected properly you should then get the connected light on the MOCA Adapter connected to the COAX and your LAN.
See below.
post #1072 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What? Did you not know I was using the Action Tec moca adapter Tivo sells?

Either way, it isn't over my head. I had it setup this way: Coax from the OTA antenna at the front of the basement to the "in" on the Moca adapter. Another piece of coax from the "out" on the Moca adapter to the "in" coax input on the Roamio. An ethernet cord connected from the Moca adapter to the router. An ethernet cord from the Roamio to the same router. Tried connecting the OTA coax from a Mini in a different room to the back of it, but the "coax" green light on the mini never lights up. Just to make sure, the reason I have no green "coax" light lit up on the Action Tec is because I didn't choose it in the Tivo Mini's menu I went in and tried to choose to connect it to the network but it says it can not connect to the network.

That is exactly how users suggested over at the Tivo community forum suggested, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Like I said, I called Channel Master on Friday and they told me the 3414 distribution amp I am using is Moca compatible.

So I decided to do research for you. Moca 1.1 frequency runs on the 500 - 1500 MHz range. Moca 2.0 runs on a higher frequency. Your 3414 amp only allows 54 - 1002 MHz range. Once again, your amp is choking the moca network.
post #1073 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
So I decided to do research for you. Moca 1.1 frequency runs on the 500 - 1500 MHz range. Moca 2.0 runs on a higher frequency. Your 3414 amp only allows 54 - 1002 MHz range. Once again, your amp is choking the moca network.
Thank you for the research!

I was just coming back to post that the CM3414 is bidirectional according to Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_6593414..._3414&skipvs=T

But you are saying the frequency isn't high enough on it. So, is there a very similar distribution amp that I can utilize that provides similar antenna gain yet would be "high" enough to allow the Moca network to work?
post #1074 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Would this one work instead of the CM3414? http://www.pctstore.com/mobile/Produ...ode=PCTMABF14P
post #1075 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 752
The lowest MoCA channel the Mini/Roamio Pro/Plus uses is channel 15. WHich is 1150Mhz. WHich will still work fine with a 1GHz splitter. No idea about the amp though

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-27-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #1076 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Here's other options: http://pctcorporate.com/real-time-do...mplifiers.html

Needing someone to confirm the current amp is the problem and help identify one that will work.
post #1077 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The lowest MoCA channel the Mini/Roamio Pro/Plus uses is channel 15. WHich is 1150Mhz. WHich will still work fine with a 1GHz splitter. No idea about the amp though
My reception is such that I need an actual amp to boost the signal and not just a regular splitter. My OTA signals drop significantly without the use of a distribution amp.
post #1078 of 1206 Old 09-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is there a way for you to bypass the distro amp to get coax from the router to the mini?
Even if it means running another coax line from the router to the attic and then join with the coax that runs to the mini?
If you can do that then you only need one MoCA adapter at the router to run your network over coax to the mini...the mini doesn't need an OTA antenna feed since it getting it from the Roamio.
post #1079 of 1206 Old 09-28-2014, 11:25 AM

O.K. guys an update. Let me recap the setup before what I changed. Action Tec Moca adapter above my Tivo. Coax from my wall to the "in" on the Moca Adapter. Coax from the "out" on the Moca adapter to the coax input on my base Roamio. Ethernet connection from the Moca adapter to my router. Ethernet connection from the Roamio to the same router.

Now for what I changed. My initial lead runs into the attic into this distribution amp now: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=sky38323

from the "out" of the Skywalker amp to the "in" of this splitter: http://www.hollandelectronics.com/ca...band-Splitters

hen 3 coax cables connected from the "out" of the Holland splitters to the 3 TV's respectively.

When I made this change, I finally got the "coax" light on the Action Tec Moca adapter to turn solid green. The only trouble is even after going on on the mini and changing the connection type to "moca" and trying to connect it won't connect. I get a connection failed error message with some sort of letter and number combination (I can get it if I need to).

So, my question why I am unable to connect to the mini now that I have the solid green light on the "coax" portion of the Moca adapter?
post #1080 of 1206 Old 09-30-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Well this may be very short-lived. Although when I ordered it was listed as in-stock, the order confirmation EMAIL sent withing minutes indicated it was back-ordered. Within an hour it was de-listed on the ABT website as being a "discontinued product". By last evening it was back on the website but at $139 -- still back-ordered 2-4 weeks. So it remains to be seen whether or not they will honor my $88.50 order price or force me to cancel the order.
I have to give some kudo's to ABT for honoring their price commitments.

I got a call last night with a question about my CC number. Straightened it out and the order was put through for the $88.50. Invoice came in EMAIL, CC charged and Mini being shipped today.

ABT has honored their price.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page