TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1081 of 1199 Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
When I made this change, I finally got the "coax" light on the Action Tec Moca adapter to turn solid green. The only trouble is even after going on on the mini and changing the connection type to "moca" and trying to connect it won't connect. I get a connection failed error message with some sort of letter and number combination (I can get it if I need to).

So, my question why I am unable to connect to the mini now that I have the solid green light on the "coax" portion of the Moca adapter?
It just seems like you keep banging your head against a wall with Moca.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1199 Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This Link might help you:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501722

Charter FTTN TV
TiVo Roamio & Roamio Plus
118" Screen
PlayStation 4
Emotiva Amp On My Want List

Last edited by HotAhr; 09-30-2014 at 10:00 PM.
post #1083 of 1199 Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got my TiVo Roamio Plus and I have a question about MoCA as well. To use the MoCA adapter in the Roamio requires an ethernet connection to the router. I don't have an ethernet network in my current home so I can't connect it in the room where I'll be using it. I have the TWC Whole Home DVR setup which uses MoCA. I've tried to connect the TiVO to this MoCA network with no success. Is that even possible? I have Minis coming tomorrow and I'll need to either be on a MoCA network or an ethernet network for them to communicate with the Roamio. This won't be a problem when I move in to my new home in February, I'll have ethernet all over the place then, but I want to set these Minis up here to make sure everything works as it should. As you can see in the first attached photo my cable modem is connected to the VoIP jack on the amp outside which isolates it from the rest of the cable connections. I'm wondering if that is keeping the TiVo from seeing the network and if so would moving the modem feed to one of the two empty jacks on amp possibly make it visible to the TiVo. Also the POE filter is attached to the white cable that feeds the main line to the amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-30 17.31.01.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	290313   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-30 17.30.53.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	290329   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-30 17.31.09.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	290337  

Last edited by Bookworm; 10-01-2014 at 06:01 PM.
post #1084 of 1199 Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Have you gone into Settings> Network on the Roamio Plus and selected MOCA?

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #1085 of 1199 Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just got a Stream yesterday for our base Roamio.

Looks like it's all set-up and I hope to have time to test it outside the home network soon.

Is there a way to watch on the device, like iPad, without recording? I only had a few minutes to play around with it, but I didn't see how to watch live programming w/o recording...

Thank you.
post #1086 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Sort of - you can watch live TV but it initiates a recording for what you're currently watching, then streams it. Yes, it's dumb.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #1087 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 07:21 AM

Thank you slowbiscuit.

I finally had time to call TiVo last night to inquire, and this is by design. The rep explained that it helps to better ensure the quality of the transfer. I imagine at some point that won't be needed. Thankfully, the Stream prompts to delete upon stopping... Thanks again.
post #1088 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Thank you slowbiscuit.

I finally had time to call TiVo last night to inquire, and this is by design. The rep explained that it helps to better ensure the quality of the transfer. I imagine at some point that won't be needed. Thankfully, the Stream prompts to delete upon stopping... Thanks again.
it will always be needed. an ipad or android phone cant play the native mpeg 2 recording or live stream. all the stream does is grab a recording from the tivo, decrypts it, encodes it to mp4 and then deliver it to the device. There is no way to do that without the tivo initiating a recording first, it needs the program buffered. that will never change.
TonyB1966 likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1089 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Thanks Aero 1. The rep did not go into such detail. Given what you said, yep, this won't change. It's just a minor inconvenience as I don't think I'll ever want to record in those instances. Looking forward to trying it outside the home. Might even take the iPad with me to The Home Depot later to see how it works... Thanks for the explanation.
post #1090 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sort of - you can watch live TV but it initiates a recording for what you're currently watching, then streams it. Yes, it's dumb.
This is basically how any DVR works anyway, when we watch something "live" on a TiVo DVR it's actually a recording being made of what ever channel we've tuned to.

I'm glad this question was asked as to this point I though the Stream device was only for pre-recorded shows, like how DIRECTV does it(transfers/copies to mobile device), which has very little value for me.

Can out of home streaming be done with a Stream? And is there any service charge associated with using a Stream? And does it work with a B&N Nook HD+?

Thanks!
post #1091 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, no, no (without an aftermarket ROM like CM 11). I have the HD+ and the stock 4.0 OS is too old, have to have 4.1 min.
post #1092 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yes, no, no (without an aftermarket ROM like CM 11). I have the HD+ and the stock 4.0 OS is too old, have to have 4.1 min.
So it does work with the CyangenMod? And it will play content just as it would normally from the DVR, minus the premium channels?

I sideloaded(?) something on my Nook awhile back that suppresses the Nook OS and allows it to operate like a generic Android tablet, I think it was something you recommended in fact. Is it similar to how that process went? I picked the Nook up when they were dumping them at around $150.

Thanks
post #1093 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
This is basically how any DVR works anyway, when we watch something "live" on a TiVo DVR it's actually a recording being made of what ever channel we've tuned to.

I'm glad this question was asked as to this point I though the Stream device was only for pre-recorded shows, like how DIRECTV does it(transfers/copies to mobile device), which has very little value for me.

Can out of home streaming be done with a Stream? And is there any service charge associated with using a Stream? And does it work with a B&N Nook HD+?

Thanks!
I'm able to do out of home streaming with the Stream built into my Romaio Pro and with My Droid DNA using LTE.

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-03-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #1094 of 1199 Old 10-03-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
It's how all TiVos work, but TiVo seems to be the only DVR that always works this way. Other DVRs do let you watch TV live and don't involve the HDD until you tell them to record (and some DVRs let you switch between modes).
post #1095 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So it does work with the CyangenMod? And it will play content just as it would normally from the DVR, minus the premium channels?

I sideloaded(?) something on my Nook awhile back that suppresses the Nook OS and allows it to operate like a generic Android tablet, I think it was something you recommended in fact. Is it similar to how that process went? I picked the Nook up when they were dumping them at around $150.

Thanks
Won't work for now since CM is by default rooted (and Tivo app will stupidly not work with root), so you'd have to wait for a root cloaker that can hide root from the Tivo app. This which will come out eventually. Loading CM on a Nook HD+ is not a trivial task, so you might be better off getting a newer Kindle Fire HD or something else if you want to use a tab.
post #1096 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Loading CM on a Nook HD+ is not a trivial task, so you might be better off getting a newer Kindle Fire HD or something else if you want to use a tab.
If you follow this thread it takes less than 30 minutes and you can always go home.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post42406126
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	294242  

Last edited by Charles R; 10-04-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #1097 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's how all TiVos work, but TiVo seems to be the only DVR that always works this way. Other DVRs do let you watch TV live and don't involve the HDD until you tell them to record (and some DVRs let you switch between modes).
??

All Dish and DirecTV DVRs use the hard drive for live buffering. I know TWC Navigator, SARA, and Passport all do as well. I am curious to know what DVRs out there don't involve the HDD while watching live TV and how they implement live TV trick play functionality without it.
post #1098 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Not so. If a DVR allows pause or, more importantly, rewind of live TV it MUST spool from the hard drive to do so, otherwise it would not be able to perform those functions (barring exotic/expensive buffers). If those functions were not to be allowed from live TV, then it need not spool to HDD... but then that would be a pretty lame DVR, n'est pas? One of the nice nuances of a DVR is being able to go back to any of the most recently used stations, even when the TV was "off" and recording was not selected, and view the past hour or two that were spooled.

The heavy 24/7 workload has spawned a market of hard drives specifically designed for the task, some of which can reliably handle up to 20 simultaneous streams of HD content.

Paul (currently a Moxi user, but always interested in what else is out there)
post #1099 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
huh? All DVR's use the HDD for live tv. how else are you going to pause or rewind live tv? even the DVR+ with no HDD use the 16 Gb internal storage for trick play on live tv.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1100 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
huh? All DVR's use the HDD for live tv. how else are you going to pause or rewind live tv? even the DVR+ with no HDD use the 16 Gb internal storage for trick play on live tv.
He's probably referring to the low-end units that are primarily used to record. They don't have a live record buffer and so can't do trick play on live TV but can only do trick-play on recorded content.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1101 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Won't work for now since CM is by default rooted (and Tivo app will stupidly not work with root), so you'd have to wait for a root cloaker that can hide root from the Tivo app. This which will come out eventually. Loading CM on a Nook HD+ is not a trivial task, so you might be better off getting a newer Kindle Fire HD or something else if you want to use a tab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
If you follow this thread it takes less than 30 minutes and you can always go home.

Yes, I checked it out after my initial post and it looks fairly straight-forward to do, definitely something I'm comfortable with doing anyway. The fact that TiVo won't like it though makes it a moot point, at least until if/when the cloaker slowbiscuit mentions becomes available.
post #1102 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
He's probably referring to the low-end units that are primarily used to record. They don't have a live record buffer and so can't do trick play on live TV but can only do trick-play on recorded content.
What low end units?
post #1103 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
iView and it's many clones, Philips HD DVR, etc. which are basically glorified VCRs. They can timeshift but they generally don't always record a buffer like Tivo, one must initiate the recording process.
While I like the Tivo's always live buffer and use it frequently I kind of like it that not all DVRs are always ON and recording. For one thing to have 3 or 4 DVRs always on and recording would use a fair amount of electricity, the other DVRs probably only use a watt or two off while a Tivo or similar uses many times that always recording.
post #1104 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
iView and it's many clones, Philips HD DVR, etc.
Aside from those, the CM DVR+ seems to have that as an optional feature, since you can watch TV with it when you don't have any storage attached (and I don't think it buffers live TV to the internal 16GB storage). The TViX 6620 lets you select whether you want a background buffer all the time or whether you only want to engage the HDD when you press the pause button while watching live TV.
post #1105 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Aside from those, the CM DVR+ seems to have that as an optional feature, since you can watch TV with it when you don't have any storage attached (and I don't think it buffers live TV to the internal 16GB storage).
LOL, I would hardly call disabling functionality by pulling out the HDD an "optional feature". Hell, if you want to play that game you can pull the HDD out of a TiVo and it won't buffer the tuners either.

- kelson h

post #1106 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised a TiVo would let you do that. I don't know if the DVR+ will let you change the buffer settings when the HDD is connected, since I don't own one.
post #1107 of 1199 Old 10-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
Have you gone into Settings> Network on the Roamio Plus and selected MOCA?
Yes. It turns out that the problem is the distribution amp TWC provides. TiVo tech support says the FWD frequency of any splitter or amp needs to be greater than 1200 MHz and all TWC equipment tops out at 1002 MHz. I've found several amps that have MoCA ratings in the 1125 to1550 MHz range. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get.
post #1108 of 1199 Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Aside from those, the CM DVR+ seems to have that as an optional feature, since you can watch TV with it when you don't have any storage attached (and I don't think it buffers live TV to the internal 16GB storage). The TViX 6620 lets you select whether you want a background buffer all the time or whether you only want to engage the HDD when you press the pause button while watching live TV.
Per Dave Zatz:

"...the Channel Master DVR+ ships with a mere 16GB of flash storage, good for 2 hours of HD recording and the ability to pause live television for up to 15 minutes."

http://zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/chan...vrplus-cm7500/
post #1109 of 1199 Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I know full well what it takes as I've played around with all sort of stuff on my HD+, but will reiterate that it is not a trivial upgrade for the average user. There are known issues with the SD card driver native to the HD+, for example, and some cards are flakier than others.

But as mentioned it's pointless now anyway until a working root bypass for the Tivo app is released.
Keenan likes this.
post #1110 of 1199 Old 10-06-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
Yes. It turns out that the problem is the distribution amp TWC provides. TiVo tech support says the FWD frequency of any splitter or amp needs to be greater than 1200 MHz and all TWC equipment tops out at 1002 MHz. I've found several amps that have MoCA ratings in the 1125 to1550 MHz range. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get.
The lowest TiVo MoCA frequency is 1150 MHz. Which is channel 15.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page