TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Transfer it to the Roamio with pyTivo which uses ffmpeg to handle all the conversion for you. If no conversion is needed it will transfer natively IIRC. I play mkvs and mp4s with AC3 all the time on my Roamio, pyTivo makes it easy.
Now that is interesting.

But specifically, in the case of MP4's with AC3, is the 5.1 preserved upon conversion. My Roamio plays through my AVR 95% of the time -- the speakers on the plasma are pretty much worthless. I don't want to lose the 5.1 audio.

One of these days I should take a good look at pyTivo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amazon and TiVo Roamio (Issue)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosinBow View Post
Please help, how do you purchase and watch an Amazon HD Season Pass with Roamio? What is this Amazon service, channel or app even called on a TiVo Roamio? I'm unsure how to even refer to it but am simply looking to be able to utilize Amazon season passes of cable channels for new series that I'd like to cherry pick watching without a cable provider.

I linked the Amazon Video (whatever it's called) in my TiVo to my regular Amazon account and set up the 5 digit passcode on the TiVo Amazon App/Channel whatever you call it. I purchased an HD season pass for Doctor Who Season 8 with Amazon online because there didn't appear to be a Season Pass option on the Roamio. Now when I go to watch the first episode of the season pass on TiVo it prompts for the passcode and charges me again for the episode of which I already have a season pass.

The extra sting here is that the first episode is an extended episode and Amazon is charging $7.99 for it ouch!!!

Just discovered an odd thing with the Roamio box. There are app or service icons for Netflix, Hulu etc. on the outside of the Roamio box, but for some reason there is a piece of white tape covering over the Amazon Video app/service whatever you call it.

I am surprised that nobody here chimed in to help a new TiVo owner so I'm quoting myself to show what I've uncovered. I first wrote Amazon who refunded me the $7.99 that I was charged through Roamio for the first HD episode of Doctor Who Season 8 after I had already purchased the season pass.

Here are some relevant links and threads I found that cover the issue for anyone else who may be interested...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10219450

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-10/tivo...-improvements/

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/amaz...oming-to-tivo/

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=520804

The good news besides being refunded for the extra $7.99 from Amazon which I was charged again for is that this issue is being addressed and will be resolved soon with a Roamio update. Gosh, I never would have even thought this would have been an issue it the first place. Cord cutters have long been able to subscribe to season passes of cable series with Roku and then Apple TV for several years now. Our old Roku hasn't been used for years, it's one of the original models that dates to when it was still called the Netflix Player. We were very early beta testers when Netflix first rolled these out and went on to beta test the addition of Amazon streaming service before it was introduced. That old Roku device now lives in a guest bedroom.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Now that is interesting.

But specifically, in the case of MP4's with AC3, is the 5.1 preserved upon conversion. My Roamio plays through my AVR 95% of the time -- the speakers on the plasma are pretty much worthless. I don't want to lose the 5.1 audio.

One of these days I should take a good look at pyTivo.
Yes.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yes.
Cool. Although I'm familiar with ffmpeg it never occurred to me to use it to do the audio conversion.

I'll try to shake some time loose this weekend to explore pyTivo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
I am surprised that nobody here chimed in to help a new TiVo owner so I'm quoting myself to show what I've uncovered. I first wrote Amazon who refunded me the $7.99 that I was charged through Roamio for the first HD episode of Doctor Who Season 8 after I had already purchased the season pass.

Here are some relevant links and threads I found that cover the issue for anyone else who may be interested...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10219450

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/amaz...oming-to-tivo/

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=520804

The good news besides being refunded for the extra $7.99 from Amazon which I was charged again for is that this issue is being addressed and will be resolved soon with a Roamio update. Gosh, I never would have even thought this would have been an issue it the first place. Cord cutters have long been able to subscribe to season passes of cable series with Roku and then Apple TV for several years now. Our old Roku hasn't been used for years, it's one of the original models that dates to when it was still called the Netflix Player. We were very early beta testers when Netflix first rolled these out and went on to beta test the addition of Amazon streaming service before it was introduced. That old Roku device now lives in a guest bedroom.
I've been able to subscribe to season passes with Amazon content for years with my TiVos. Amazon allows me to download each show to two devices. So I can download it to my TiVos. And most TV shows are in 1080P24 that I've watched from Amazon during the last five years with my TiVos. Although I think Doctor Who was always in 1080i.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've been able to subscribe to season passes with Amazon content for years with my TiVos. Amazon allows me to download each show to two devices. So I can download it to my TiVos. And most TV shows are in 1080P24 that I've watched from Amazon during the last five years with my TiVos. Although I think Doctor Who was always in 1080i.

Amazon will finally be a “real” TiVo app with Prime access and extend beyond Premiere and Roamio units to also include Mini streaming. Of course, if the technical details play out as anticipated, what we gain in convenience we may lose in quality when migrating from the download to stream model. Then again, anyone who purchased a TiVo Roamio manufactured after January 1st, 2014 has had NO Amazon at all – just a box logo covered by a sticker. So the benefit will be even greater for a subset of subscribers, irrespective of video bitrate. Source Link

I can currently only purchase individual episodes for download directly from the Roamio (v20.4.4a) but not a season pass and Roamio doesn't recognize that I've purchased a season pass directly from Amazon. I really don't care if it is download or stream but the choice would be nice. I'm only looking for Roamio to recognize my season pass purchases so I'm not charged more. It's not a biggie as the television the Roamio is hooked up to is a Smart TV with Amazon and Netflix streaming built in. It is desired feature though to reduce source switching and take full advantage of the cross-search features of Roamio, would be ideal to purchase Amazon season passes right from Roamio.

Last edited by RosinBow; 10-23-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was a little irate that Amazon had changed Instant Video season passes from charged per-episode after aired to pay once for the whole season. If the zombie apocalypse happens and civilization ends tomorrow, that's $35 for The Walking Dead I'm never seeing again.
Chere likes this.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Should that occur your currency would be worthless anyway so better to have spent it now.
Chere likes this.

- kelson h

Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
TiVo Priority Update Request (20.4.5)

The TiVo Priority Update Request (20.4.5) page is up, this update will bring Amazon Prime and Vudu,
http://www.tivo.com/priority_20.4.5

TiVo Winter Update to Feature Amazon, Vudu, and Mobile Improvements

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...09177787977729
aaronwt and fumoffu like this.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 PM

Thank you, signed up for the early update.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

The TiVo Priority Update Request (20.4.5) page is up, this update will bring Amazon Prime and Vudu,

Finally! The Amazon Prime Update is long.. long.. L.......O.......N....................G over due!

Charter FTTN TV
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
118" Screen
PlayStation 4
All I want for Christmas is my Emo Amp
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
I was a little irate that Amazon had changed Instant Video season passes from charged per-episode after aired to pay once for the whole season. If the zombie apocalypse happens and civilization ends tomorrow, that's $35 for The Walking Dead I'm never seeing again.
You won't need to watch it, you'll be living it.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
I agree. Noticed that at the start of the fall tv season. Not very cool paying up front, especially if the show gets cancelled...

I signed up for the new update priority, be curios to see the new Vudu and Amazon apps.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Old 10-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I agree. Noticed that at the start of the fall tv season. Not very cool paying up front, especially if the show gets cancelled...

I signed up for the new update priority, be curios to see the new Vudu and Amazon apps.
huh? you can still pay per episode after they air on amazon. Episode 2 is $2.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=dv_dp_ep2

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You are missing out on what we are talking about. Last season you could buy a "season pass" for $2.84/episode, or some discounted rate. You only paid each week when a new episode was announced, so if you cancelled you didn't spend any more. This season, when I bought a season pass of American Horror Story an Walking Dead, I got charged the whole season up front.

I'm not lost on the fact I can spend $2.99 an episode, but that is at full price.

Also, when you had a season pass, the new spi would auto download to the tivo upon release. Mine do not do that anymore...

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
You are missing out on what we are talking about. Last season you could buy a "season pass" for $2.84/episode, or some discounted rate. You only paid each week when a new episode was announced, so if you cancelled you didn't spend any more. This season, when I bought a season pass of American Horror Story an Walking Dead, I got charged the whole season up front.

I'm not lost on the fact I can spend $2.99 an episode, but that is at full price.

Also, when you had a season pass, the new spi would auto download to the tivo upon release. Mine do not do that anymore...
Thanks for the reminder, it was cheaper that way and they did bill per individual episode.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

it isnt a huge deal for something like AHS or WD, because I know they will not get cancelled. For a new show, I might hold off a few weeks before going all in.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Exactly, Season Pass = Lower Price

I don't mind paying for the whole season upfront and actually prefer it. I like to be able to access episodes as they then become available without being charged each time. Paying upfront could be an issue though if it's a series that doesn't last a whole season.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Paying upfront could be an issue though if it's a series that doesn't last a whole season.
If it something I am really wary about, Ill hold off 3-4 weeks and just see how ratings do. I only tend to buy and download cable network shows, so they are usually good about lasting a whole season. ABC/CBS, etc... will drop em like a bad habit on you.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
If it something I am really wary about, Ill hold off 3-4 weeks and just see how ratings do. I only tend to buy and download cable network shows, so they are usually good about lasting a whole season. ABC/CBS, etc... will drop em like a bad habit on you.
I'm OTA so ABC/CBS etc shows will be recorded by TiVo not purchased. Purchased season passes are for the few current series cable shows that are desired right away. e.g. Doctor Who, which has been running 50 years now so it's doubtful BBC will be dropping it anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Try e.g. next time, because confusing people with Latin abbreviations is even more fun!
Aleron, see what I did there
Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 PM

The snag with Amazon/TiVo has apparently been closed captioning, FCC has mandated changes.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/display-ca...eo-programming

I could never understand why all live concert videos on DVD and Blu-ray don't include lyrics. Hope the FCC is going after this too, it's a disappointment to look for lyrics only to find they were not included with a disc release.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has downloading of Amazon shows disappeared? I haven't used it for a long time until last night, and in fact didn't actually view the show with the Roamio, using the Amazon app in my display instead, but I didn't see any option to DL. Wasn't that capability there in the past?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Has downloading of Amazon shows disappeared?
No, you just have to assign the download through Amazon's website, not through the TiVo.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, you just have to assign the download through Amazon's website, not through the TiVo.
Yeah, on my new Roamio I went thru the Amazon app on the Roamio and linked to my Amazon account. It shows as a download option when I buy a tv show, but I have to force it on Amazons site.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Thanks. I requested the Priority Update because I want to have access to Amazon Prime Instant Video.

avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

How to Create a Dolby Atmos Demo Disc (post #15199)

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah, on my new Roamio I went thru the Amazon app on the Roamio and linked to my Amazon account. It shows as a download option when I buy a tv show, but I have to force it on Amazons site.
I realize it's all going to change with the impending update, but where did you actually register the Roamio? It doesn't show up as a compatible device. I know I've done this in the past with my Series 3 TiVos, but don't recall if I ever did with the Roamio.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I realize it's all going to change with the impending update, but where did you actually register the Roamio? It doesn't show up as a compatible device. I know I've done this in the past with my Series 3 TiVos, but don't recall if I ever did with the Roamio.
I went into the Amazon app on my tivo, and linked it with it. Once I did, it showed up in my devices on Amazon. Once I did all that, I can download tv shows and movies to the HDD.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Old 10-24-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I went into the Amazon app on my tivo, and linked it with it. Once I did, it showed up in my devices on Amazon. Once I did all that, I can download tv shows and movies to the HDD.
I'm glad the Amazon topic has finally started to roll, when I started it in post 1193 there was nothing but <crickets>.

I had looked on Amazon but wasn't able to find my Roamio as a device and Amazons supported devices did not list Roamio. Thanks to your post I dug deeper, Amazon doesn't make it easy to find but I found it. Your Account > Your TV Passes > Series > Viewing Location <Device Name>

Perhaps it took a while after my linking Roamio to Amazon for this to appear as an option on Amazon idk. At any rate I switched it over and will check tomorrow if I can access my season pass from the Roamio now without being charged again and at the higher non pass price.

Last edited by RosinBow; 10-24-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Most people like to stream I guess, I dont because my ISP can suck at when I sit down to watch something, it is nice that it is downloaded to the HDD.

Once I buy a certain episode or movie, or if I own a season pass and the next episode comes available, I go on Amazon and click the series in my "Video Library".

Once you pick the current episode, or the one you want, over to the right up at the top by the by button is something that says Download Licenses (4 available). Once I linked my Tivo using its built in app, I can click the Download Licenses link and the Tivo is one of the options. I select it and it queues it to my Tivo and a couple of minutes later the download starts. I really dont do anything from the Tivo itself, but maybe this new app will change that. I wonder if they arent just going to add a Prime Streaming app but hopefully leave the forced download function alone since it works without an "app".

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Old 10-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Most people like to stream I guess, I dont because my ISP can suck at when I sit down to watch something, it is nice that it is downloaded to the HDD.

Once I buy a certain episode or movie, or if I own a season pass and the next episode comes available, I go on Amazon and click the series in my "Video Library".

Once you pick the current episode, or the one you want, over to the right up at the top by the by button is something that says Download Licenses (4 available). Once I linked my Tivo using its built in app, I can click the Download Licenses link and the Tivo is one of the options. I select it and it queues it to my Tivo and a couple of minutes later the download starts. I really dont do anything from the Tivo itself, but maybe this new app will change that. I wonder if they arent just going to add a Prime Streaming app but hopefully leave the forced download function alone since it works without an "app".
We stream all the time as cord cutters since before the the term was coined so bandwidth is not a concern here. The option to download is nice but being able to stream an Amazon season pass both with or without prime is desired. No sense wasting local drive space as long as streaming from Amazon works in HD. It can be streamed again anytime and our local drive has more available space for our own recordings.

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr