TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1352 Old 11-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Mine's still at ver. 20.4.4a. Is there a way to force a software update on the Roamios?
Go here and enter your serial number:

http://www.tivo.com/priority_20.4.5

Your unit should update within 48 hours. You have to do this for each device.
ncted is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1352 Old 11-01-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Thanks, I did a connect and it worked on the Roamio. When I went back to the Mini, it was already there!

The slide remote does not work with the mini for entering the account...
WHich Slide? I use the Slide Pro with two of my Minis and both of my Roamios. I used them to enter the account info. The problem with the Amazon app though is that you cannot enter the text fast. Otherwise it will miss some of the entries. With the Vudu app I could enter the text as fast as I wanted.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1263 of 1352 Old 11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,473
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Try-out Streambaby - You could use Streambaby directly from the Mini
Streambaby does not actually stream to the Mini, since the Mini does not have sufficient memory to buffer the stream, but you can initiate a "push" to the Roamio directly on the Mini, so you would not have to physically move from the Mini to the Roamio.

Note: If you have Metadata files associated with your videos you must use Java 6. Java 7 will not work with Metadata.

If you need help with the configuration settings, I can post my files, for you to copy and modify.
Thanks. I'll put that on the list. Java 6 is out of the question for me so if the meta-data that is contained in .tivo files is the type you refer to then this is not an option.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1264 of 1352 Old 11-02-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WHich Slide? I use the Slide Pro with two of my Minis and both of my Roamios. I used them to enter the account info. The problem with the Amazon app though is that you cannot enter the text fast. Otherwise it will miss some of the entries. With the Vudu app I could enter the text as fast as I wanted.

Slide pro, the remote worked, just not the keypad.
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #1265 of 1352 Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Slide pro, the remote worked, just not the keypad.
I used my Slide Remote keyboard to enter my email address and password into the Amazon login screen. With the orange field highlighted (for either the email address or password), press Select on the Slide Remote and then you can type using the Slide Remote keyboard.


I realize you have already registered your account but I thought others would like to know.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet

Last edited by kokishin; 11-03-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Corrected using Enter key to Select key
kokishin is online now  
post #1266 of 1352 Old 11-02-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Slide pro, the remote worked, just not the keypad.
I would recheck something. They keypad should be working.,

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1267 of 1352 Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The Enter key on my original Slide keyboard has gone wonky for some reason, it generates some funny 'A' character when I use it. Couldn't sign into Prime when I tried hitting enter after putting in email/pw.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #1268 of 1352 Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I used my Slide Remote keyboard to enter my email address and password into the Amazon login screen. With the orange field highlighted (for either the email address or password), press Select on the Slide Remote and then you can type using the Slide Remote keyboard.

I realize you have already registered your account but I thought others would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The Enter key on my original Slide keyboard has gone wonky for some reason, it generates some funny 'A' character when I use it. Couldn't sign into Prime when I tried hitting enter after putting in email/pw.
I meant to say use the Select key (I originally wrote Enter key. I just corrected my original post and included the corrected version in this post as well.).

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

avsforum Members Atmos Configuration Spreadsheet
kokishin is online now  
post #1269 of 1352 Old 11-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Member
 
jcmeyer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So okay... I think I have this figured out. I am on Frontier Fios and have a MoCA enabled router (which my current $16 a month DVR boxes use). So aside from plugging in the power and HDMI cables, all I need to do is connect the existing coax lines and then run setup on the main unit and the two Mini's. Did I get that right?

Ordered a Plus and two Mini's today from Best Buy. Actually have the Mini's already. No good without the main unit though.

Oh... Is there a difference in the orange box vs green box Mini's? I got one of each. Same model number.
jcmeyer5 is offline  
post #1270 of 1352 Old 11-16-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
They changed the color of the box earlier this year to better match the TiVo Roamio box. The Minis are the same. Although a newer Mini will supposedly come out next year.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1271 of 1352 Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They changed the color of the box earlier this year to better match the TiVo Roamio box. The Minis are the same. Although a newer Mini will supposedly come out next year.
Any info on how the newer Mini will compare to the latest production model?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
post #1272 of 1352 Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Any info on how the newer Mini will compare to the latest production model?
Rumor is that it will basically be the same. But with some kind of automation protocol added. And possibly an RF remote. But nothing is offcial about it. TiVo probably won't release any official info until next year.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1273 of 1352 Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,473
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Rumor is that it will basically be the same. But with some kind of automation protocol added. And possibly an RF remote. But nothing is offcial about it. TiVo probably won't release any official info until next year.
By HDMI communication, the Mini knows when the attached HDTV is turned off. A valued feature would be for the Mini to release the captured Roamio tuner when it detects the display is off. Although it is easy enough to press the TiVo button to release the tuner right after pressing the TV power button on the remote -- I'm the only one in the family who appears to be capable of remembering to perform such a complicated act.

Honestly, sometimes I feel they don't deserve more than a DVR+.
markrubin likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1274 of 1352 Old 11-17-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Honestly, sometimes I feel they don't deserve more than a DVR+.
That's cold. Really cold. But funny.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #1275 of 1352 Old 11-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aero 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Totowa, NJ
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
By HDMI communication, the Mini knows when the attached HDTV is turned off. A valued feature would be for the Mini to release the captured Roamio tuner when it detects the display is off. Although it is easy enough to press the TiVo button to release the tuner right after pressing the TV power button on the remote -- I'm the only one in the family who appears to be capable of remembering to perform such a complicated act.

Honestly, sometimes I feel they don't deserve more than a DVR+.
That wouldn't work for those who don't use hdmi on the mini but do use the analog break out cable. Imagine the support headache that would cause.
Aero 1 is online now  
post #1276 of 1352 Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
It was Zigbee devices that the new Mini is supposed to work with.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/n...tgn-tcda93000/

Quote:
TiVo's new Mini is close, but it could be missing the WiFi we're waiting for


The TiVo Mini is a great little device and add-on if you've got one of the company's DVRs, but there's one small problem: no built-in wireless connection. That means you'll need a coax cable, Ethernet cord or wireless bridge to get video from your DVR or pull up internet apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus. It's not always convenient and devotees like our friend Dave Zatz have been waiting for a model with wireless since the original debuted last year. The good news (other than the fact that Mini owners can ditch the $6 per month subscription fee for a $50 "Lifetime" activation) is that a new model is coming, and its FCC listing means there's some wireless kit in it. The bad news? It doesn't seem to mention WiFi, only a 2.4GHz "Zigbee" connection. The new TGN-TCDA93000 (Mini) is even listed on TiVo's own website, and while there's not much mentioned about what it does, we have a few guesses.

That Zigbee spec could let it link up to a remote over RF for control without line-of-sight or -- more likely -- connect to home automation controls from TiVo itself, Nest, Control 4, or even the likes of Google / Apple / Samsung. If there's something else to announce after TiVo's massive 26,000-hour, $5,000 Mega DVR, this week's CEDIA custom installer show might be the place to announce it.


40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1277 of 1352 Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,473
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was Zigbee devices that the new Mini is supposed to work with.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/n...tgn-tcda93000/
From my experience with the Mini, I don't think a wireless connection would be able to feed the mini with all the bandwidth it seems to require.

I put the Mini on the kitchen TV and initially hooked it up using an AV500 Powerline Ethernet adapter that linked it into the house network. This Powerline circuit to the kitchen has sufficient bandwidth to stream full bitrate BD rips to that kitchen TV, yet it was not good enough for the Mini<-->Roamio. I started having buffering problems and stuttering when playing the high bitrate HDTV stations like CBS, NBC and CW. Skip forward and back had a very noticeable delay and FF/REW were not smooth at all. So even though an OTA HDTV channel is a max of 19Mbps, an ethernet connection capable of delivering uncompressed BluRay was not sufficient bandwidth to supply the Mini from the Roamio without buffering issues -- the Mini obviously sucks up bandwidth for some reason. I doubt a wireless connection would be able to cut it and I think TiVo knows this -- imagine the barrage of support calls they would be getting with a wireless Mini.

I ended up buying a Moca adapter (100baseT) from TiVo and using it to bridge the OTA coax and the switch the Roamio is attached to. I then pulled the OTA coax out of the kitchen TV and plugged it into the Mini while removing the ethernet cable. Using the Moca adapter gave the Mini a full 100 Mbps feed from the Roamio. This eliminated all the channel buffering issues and made skip forward/backward and FF/REW nearly as responsive as the Roamio itself.

So offhand, I would say forget wireless for the Mini.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1278 of 1352 Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,473
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
That wouldn't work for those who don't use hdmi on the mini but do use the analog break out cable. Imagine the support headache that would cause.
I think the Mini is smart enough to tell when an HDMI cable is or is not attached. It can act accordingly.
slowbiscuit likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1279 of 1352 Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
From my experience with the Mini, I don't think a wireless connection would be able to feed the mini with all the bandwidth it seems to require.

I put the Mini on the kitchen TV and initially hooked it up using an AV500 Powerline Ethernet adapter that linked it into the house network. This Powerline circuit to the kitchen has sufficient bandwidth to stream full bitrate BD rips to that kitchen TV, yet it was not good enough for the Mini<-->Roamio. I started having buffering problems and stuttering when playing the high bitrate HDTV stations like CBS, NBC and CW. Skip forward and back had a very noticeable delay and FF/REW were not smooth at all. So even though an OTA HDTV channel is a max of 19Mbps, an ethernet connection capable of delivering uncompressed BluRay was not sufficient bandwidth to supply the Mini from the Roamio without buffering issues -- the Mini obviously sucks up bandwidth for some reason. I doubt a wireless connection would be able to cut it and I think TiVo knows this -- imagine the barrage of support calls they would be getting with a wireless Mini.

I ended up buying a Moca adapter (100baseT) from TiVo and using it to bridge the OTA coax and the switch the Roamio is attached to. I then pulled the OTA coax out of the kitchen TV and plugged it into the Mini while removing the ethernet cable. Using the Moca adapter gave the Mini a full 100 Mbps feed from the Roamio. This eliminated all the channel buffering issues and made skip forward/backward and FF/REW nearly as responsive as the Roamio itself.

So offhand, I would say forget wireless for the Mini.
I can use a wireless bridge with my Minis and the experience is identical to using MoCA or Ethernet.

Anything the Mini does is low bitrate content. OTA content is around 19.2Mb/s at most. Which is a very low bitrate. I can stream multiple Minis over Wireless bridges concurrently and have zero issues.

I can stream full BD ISOs over wireless Bridges to media players without issues too and those are still no more than 54Mb/s streams.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 11-18-2014 at 10:57 AM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #1280 of 1352 Old 11-18-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,473
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can use a wireless bridge with my Minis and the experience is identical to using MoCA or Ethernet.

Anything the Mini does is low bitrate content. OTA content is around 19.2Mb/s at most. Which is a very low bitrate. I can stream multiple Minis over Wireless bridges concurrently and have zero issues.

I can stream full BD ISOs over wireless Bridges to media players without issues too and those are still no more than 54Mb/s streams.
For one person, you seem to have an incredible amount of electronic kit. Anyway, you obviously have a much better bandwidth path between your wireless bridges than I had across my PLA's. I will contend that will not be the general case if the Mini were to include a built-in wireless adapter and be dependent on it's placement and the relative placement of the wireless router in the typical household. As I stated, even though the content is limited to 19Mbps, the Mini seems to demand a lot more bandwidth to function smoothly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1281 of 1352 Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
That wouldn't work for those who don't use hdmi on the mini but do use the analog break out cable. Imagine the support headache that would cause.
Doesn't change the fact that for those that do use HDMI, the tuner could be released. There's no support issue here.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #1282 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Anyone here use the following equipment?

TiVo Roamio Basic
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4000

I ask as I have a somewhat annoying issue with a static burst when resuming from a paused state on the TiVo. The TiVo is connected to the Oppo(to utilize the Oppo/Darbee processing on the TiVo signal) via HDMI out to HDMI-Back on the Oppo, then from HDMI1 on the Oppo to the Denon(doesn't seem to matter which HDMI input here, does it on all of them) and then on to the display(Samsung PN64F8500).

When resuming from Pause I get a very brief burst of static. This appears to be a HDMI/HDCP handshaking problem between the TiVo and the downstream devices. With the Oppo out of the equation(TiVo direct to Denon) it works fine. A theory postulated over in the Oppo thread was that the TiVo has trouble with additional HDMI/HDCP handshakes(2 vs 1, or 3 vs 2 if you include the final device, the display) beyond the "normal". Switching the audio output from the TiVo to PCM eliminates the problem, leaving the TiVo output at DD and switching the audio output on the Oppo to PCM does not eliminate the problem. I think this is telling me the handshake breakdown/problem is between the TiVo and the Oppo but as I don't know the precise details of how that HDCP handshake works I don't know which device might be called the "culprit".

I ask as all the above devices are reasonably popular among the AVS crowd so there was a fair chance they might all be used together and was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if so, what measures, if any, did you take to alleviate it?

It is also quite possible that the Oppo is causing the issue and I'm working that possibility in the Oppo thread, but the more data harvested hopefully will assist in a resolution.

BTW, this is by no means a deal breaker that would force me to stop using the above connection method, I can deal with a very brief static "pop" occasionally if it means gaining the Oppo/Darbee video signal processing.

Jim
Keenan is offline  
post #1283 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Anyone here use the following equipment?

TiVo Roamio Basic
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4000

I ask as I have a somewhat annoying issue with a static burst when resuming from a paused state on the TiVo. The TiVo is connected to the Oppo(to utilize the Oppo/Darbee processing on the TiVo signal) via HDMI out to HDMI-Back on the Oppo, then from HDMI1 on the Oppo to the Denon(doesn't seem to matter which HDMI input here, does it on all of them) and then on to the display(Samsung PN64F8500).

When resuming from Pause I get a very brief burst of static. This appears to be a HDMI/HDCP handshaking problem between the TiVo and the downstream devices. With the Oppo out of the equation(TiVo direct to Denon) it works fine. A theory postulated over in the Oppo thread was that the TiVo has trouble with additional HDMI/HDCP handshakes(2 vs 1, or 3 vs 2 if you include the final device, the display) beyond the "normal". Switching the audio output from the TiVo to PCM eliminates the problem, leaving the TiVo output at DD and switching the audio output on the Oppo to PCM does not eliminate the problem. I think this is telling me the handshake breakdown/problem is between the TiVo and the Oppo but as I don't know the precise details of how that HDCP handshake works I don't know which device might be called the "culprit".

I ask as all the above devices are reasonably popular among the AVS crowd so there was a fair chance they might all be used together and was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if so, what measures, if any, did you take to alleviate it?

It is also quite possible that the Oppo is causing the issue and I'm working that possibility in the Oppo thread, but the more data harvested hopefully will assist in a resolution.

BTW, this is by no means a deal breaker that would force me to stop using the above connection method, I can deal with a very brief static "pop" occasionally if it means gaining the Oppo/Darbee video signal processing.

Jim
Will you be able to tell if it is an Oppo issue by attempting the following experiment? If you use an optical audio cable for sound and an HDMI cable for video, what happens then, as a test?

Charter FTTN TV
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
118" Screen
PlayStation 4
All I want for Christmas is my Emo Amp
HotAhr is offline  
post #1284 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
Will you be able to tell if it is an Oppo issue by attempting the following experiment? If you use an optical audio cable for sound and an HDMI cable for video, what happens then, as a test?
Yes, I tried that and the problem goes away, no static upon resume. This is with an optical S/PDIF cable from the TiVo direct to the Denon while the video is still fed through the Oppo via HDMI with HDMI audio set to Off.
Keenan is offline  
post #1285 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
HotAhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, I tried that and the problem goes away, no static upon resume. This is with an optical S/PDIF cable from the TiVo direct to the Denon while the video is still fed through the Oppo via HDMI with HDMI audio set to Off.

The problem is a tough one when you are trying to determine where the handshake issue is between two devices. Do you by some chance have another Tivo that you can swap out the current one for-for the sake of testing?

Charter FTTN TV
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
118" Screen
PlayStation 4
All I want for Christmas is my Emo Amp

Last edited by HotAhr; 11-19-2014 at 03:03 PM.
HotAhr is offline  
post #1286 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
The problem is a tough one when you are trying to determine where the handshake issue is between two devices. Do you by some chance have another Tivo that you can swap out the current one for-for the sake of testing?
No, I have just the one TiVo. Plus, the optical "fix" is not a suitable solution as then I would have to be switching between outputting audio via the TiVo for TV content and then Oppo for disc and Internet content.

I tried using the optical output from the Oppo and I still get a very small brief snap of static so that pretty much solidifies that the problem is in the Oppo. Or, the TiVo doesn't like multiple devices connected in a string, but that doesn't seem too likely to me, but then again I suppose it's certainly possible.
Keenan is offline  
post #1287 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,071
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Anyone here use the following equipment?

TiVo Roamio Basic
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4000

I ask as I have a somewhat annoying issue with a static burst when resuming from a paused state on the TiVo. The TiVo is connected to the Oppo(to utilize the Oppo/Darbee processing on the TiVo signal) via HDMI out to HDMI-Back on the Oppo, then from HDMI1 on the Oppo to the Denon(doesn't seem to matter which HDMI input here, does it on all of them) and then on to the display(Samsung PN64F8500).

When resuming from Pause I get a very brief burst of static. This appears to be a HDMI/HDCP handshaking problem between the TiVo and the downstream devices. With the Oppo out of the equation(TiVo direct to Denon) it works fine. A theory postulated over in the Oppo thread was that the TiVo has trouble with additional HDMI/HDCP handshakes(2 vs 1, or 3 vs 2 if you include the final device, the display) beyond the "normal". Switching the audio output from the TiVo to PCM eliminates the problem, leaving the TiVo output at DD and switching the audio output on the Oppo to PCM does not eliminate the problem. I think this is telling me the handshake breakdown/problem is between the TiVo and the Oppo but as I don't know the precise details of how that HDCP handshake works I don't know which device might be called the "culprit".

I ask as all the above devices are reasonably popular among the AVS crowd so there was a fair chance they might all be used together and was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if so, what measures, if any, did you take to alleviate it?

It is also quite possible that the Oppo is causing the issue and I'm working that possibility in the Oppo thread, but the more data harvested hopefully will assist in a resolution.

BTW, this is by no means a deal breaker that would force me to stop using the above connection method, I can deal with a very brief static "pop" occasionally if it means gaining the Oppo/Darbee video signal processing.

Jim
I don't have an OPPO but I do have Darblets, multiple HDMI switches, HDMI splitters, a video processor and a receiver that everything runs through before going to the TV. I've had no instances of static in my current setup with a Denon 4520. And when I was using a Denon 3808 the only time I recall having a static issue was when going through the channel list in the TiVo to add/remove channels. I would need to turn off the TiVos sounds.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1288 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't have an OPPO but I do have Darblets, multiple HDMI switches, HDMI splitters, a video processor and a receiver that everything runs through before going to the TV. I've had no instances of static in my current setup with a Denon 4520. And when I was using a Denon 3808 the only time I recall having a static issue was when going through the channel list in the TiVo to add/remove channels. I would need to turn off the TiVos sounds.
I contacted Oppo and their response was that they are aware of the problem but have no solution as of yet. They did not say the Oppo was the cause of the problem but after doing a lot of testing with various connection scenarios it seems fairly clear that if you want to have the Oppo process the video signal(including the Darbee enhancement) then you should route the audio portion of the signal through alternate means. I will likely go with HDMI splitters feeding the audio to the Denon and just have the Oppo send the video directly to the display instead of feeding it through the Denon. I'll lose the menu overlays of the Denon but that's not a big deal, somewhat inconvenient yes, but not enough to forsake using the Oppo as the upside of the player far outweighs this audio problem.

Last edited by Keenan; 11-19-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Keenan is offline  
post #1289 of 1352 Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
TonyB1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I apologize if I missed it, but I finally got the most recent update on one of our Mini's, but I still don't see the Amazon Instant Video option on it, like on the main unit (Roamio). Is there something else one needs to do? Thanks much.
TonyB1966 is offline  
post #1290 of 1352 Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had that problem with the Roamio, it appeared after I connected. The mini had it right away. Connect to the mother ship if it isn't already there.
gregoryperkins is online now  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off