TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes
post #1381 of 1410 Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, hopefully can get some answers. I just had the Xfinity X1 installed at my house and learned a few things I didn't realize about it post-install, and can't stand some of the features.

1. No backup when you FF and hit play, so you miss things or have to go back.
2. No pausing of TV on the mini-boxes on other TV's.
3. The remote is horrid -- VOL and CHAN are at the top, no instant access to DVR, etc.

So anyway, we are looking to move to Tivo and as I look at the costs (which appear to be pretty big), I'm trying to price out the system.
  • I know I want a Pro for the main family room.
  • I know I want two mini's for our other two TV watching rooms. Though I may do a DVR in our bedroom depending on the answer to the next question.
  • In Tivo, can parents have a protected playlist that children can't access? Meaning, can I record an "after hours" show and have it only appear to us? For DirecTV, we just had our own DVR in our room and while we could see the playlist downstairs, we didn't share the upstairs one -- problem solved.

My other question is about networking -- my DVR right now is connected to a wall plate which then goes through a switch which connects to the router. If that is so, will MoCA work for the Mini's if they don't have an ethernet port handy?

Other than that, Tivo looks like a better solution for us. We dumped DirecTV only because we saved $150 a month because of the Quadruple Play discount on XFinity, but the X1 just is a step back from the Genie in about every way (storage, features...and dependancy on the cloud). I wish I had researched more before making the move. Wife is already peeved about the lack of pause upstairs and the crappy remote...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1410 Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I know I was shocked when I checked out my parents X1, that you could not pause live TV from the client boxes. That is the norm with other dvr systems. Including TiVo.

No idea about the kid stuff since I don't use it because I don't have any children here.

The Minis have built in MoCA capability. So you can connect an ethernet connection to the Roamio Pro, then it can connect to the Minis over MoCA. Which also gives the Minis access to the internet.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1383 of 1410 Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Could owners of the OTA basic Roamio and Premiere Tivo please share their OTA tuner quality experiences between these Tivos?

I'm from Canada so no cable card use for me.

Thanks
post #1384 of 1410 Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Could owners of the OTA basic Roamio and Premiere Tivo please share their OTA tuner quality experiences between these Tivos?

The Premier OTA tuner had some sensitivity issues with weaker stations and was generally considered inferior to the previous model's, the TiVo HD. The Roamio tuner is a step up and considered at least on par with the TiVo HD tuner or better and as such is superior to the Premier tuner.
RDHolmes likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1385 of 1410 Old 01-04-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks
In my experience my Roamio BAsic picks up the same OTA stations that my Premieres did. And my Premieres picked up the same OTA stations that my Series 3 Tivos did. And my Series 3 TiVos picked up the same OTA stations that my DirecTV HR10-250 TiVos did.

LED DLP
post #1386 of 1410 Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks
In my experience, the Premier had error correction issues in its tuner silicon. So, marginal signals which might come in fine on an HD would drop out a lot. My OTA Roamio does not exhibit this problem. Many people use the OTA tuners on their Premiers without issue, but it does have the potential to be disappointing depending on your particular circumstance.
jjeff and sheshechic like this.
post #1387 of 1410 Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Thanks
My Premiere does not handle some multipath signal issues as well as my Roamio. This is not a signal strength issue. In my opinion my Roamio has one of the best OTA tuners I have ever used not so much with my Premiere.
sheshechic likes this.
post #1388 of 1410 Old 01-07-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Tivo Roamio Onepass Update coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/tivo-onepass/
post #1389 of 1410 Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am in a NW suburb of Detroit. I have a 2-year old Tivo Premier XL and a 9(nine)-year old Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR. For most channels both are fine. But the antenna for 7.1 (ABC) is 3.7 miles away with tall buildings off to the sides.

In repeated tests the Sony gets 7.1 visually flawlessly. Both tuners on the TiVo have reasonably similar error rates so a bad tuner is not the issue. The Tivo makes an unwatchable mess of 7.1 and 7.2. On some other channels in the same general direction the difference is not so dramatic but the Tivo is usually visibly inferior.

With the TiVo pictures freeze, pixelate, break up on almost all channels sometimes. Causes include wind, rain, leaves, and sometimes no known reason. I do have roof top antennas, a rotatable VHF/UHF/FM for CBC and FOX. And a UHF for all others. And filters and amplifiers to optimize the signal at the DVRs.

I like the TiVo capabilities and interface. But I would never recommend a Premier to someone for OTA.
ncted likes this.
post #1390 of 1410 Old 01-11-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Sounds similar to my Tivo HD. I have an attic antenna with several TVs hooked to it, through a 4 way splitter. My bedroom Vizio, Samsung and lower level Sony and Panasonic HDTVs have no issues nor does my media room Sony HDTV, only my Tivo HD(which is shared with my Sony TV through a 2 way splitter) exhibits occasional break-ups on a couple channels. I've tried switching the cables but only the Tivo exhibits the occasional break-ups. It's a multipath problem for sure as I'm in a 80-95% signal area, not too strong nor too weak signal, it's multipath.
Occasionally I try tweaking my antenna and at times it gets better but then the leaves come out(or fall off) and I get the occasional(1 break-up/hr??) on 2 channels. I really have a feeling if I could only turn my antenna a bit more one way or the other my problems may clear but due to rafters this isn't possible with my longish boom antenna.
I've read the Premier is even worse and maybe the Romeo is similar to my HD for multipath....
post #1391 of 1410 Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had a weird thing happen with my OTA Roamio the last two days. When I try to play a recorded content back the tivo completely blanks out. This doesn't happen on just the recorded content but also on live channels. I can see the guide and all the other tivo functions but the actual programs either recorded or live show a blank empty black screen.

I've been able to restore everything back to normal once I restart the tivo through the help menu which usually takes a couple of minutes. Wierd that this only triggers when I go to "my shows" and choose a previously recommended program and not when I was watching live programming just before that
post #1392 of 1410 Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I've had a weird thing happen with my OTA Roamio the last two days. When I try to play a recorded content back the tivo completely blanks out. This doesn't happen on just the recorded content but also on live channels. I can see the guide and all the other tivo functions but the actual programs either recorded or live show a blank empty black screen.

I've been able to restore everything back to normal once I restart the tivo through the help menu which usually takes a couple of minutes. Wierd that this only triggers when I go to "my shows" and choose a previously recommended program and not when I was watching live programming just before that
Something similar has happened to me with my Mini. A reboot always fixes it. It only seems to happen when I haven't used the Mini for a couple of days.
UtahDude likes this.
post #1393 of 1410 Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Question on the DVR diagnostics. There a location for Transfer History under Network. One is for Video Downloads. What will cause that to be populated? It says Amazon, but viewing trailers doesn't seem to change it from zero.
post #1394 of 1410 Old 01-13-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Question on the DVR diagnostics. There a location for Transfer History under Network. One is for Video Downloads. What will cause that to be populated? It says Amazon, but viewing trailers doesn't seem to change it from zero.
If you 'push' videos to the TiVo (using pyTivo, for example) - it shows up there. I believe it also populates for video podcasts that you subscribe to that get 'pushed' to the TiVo when a new one is ready.

'Pulling' videos with pyTivo goes under 'Videos copied from remote device'.
post #1395 of 1410 Old 01-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/388

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1396 of 1410 Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
If you 'push' videos to the TiVo (using pyTivo, for example) - it shows up there. I believe it also populates for video podcasts that you subscribe to that get 'pushed' to the TiVo when a new one is ready.

'Pulling' videos with pyTivo goes under 'Videos copied from remote device'.
Thank you. I have never used pyTiVo only Desktop (which is measured with a different option).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Perhaps your option 5 is populated by Amazon when actually viewing something other than a trailer? My internet is "under construction" at the moment so I don't wish to use my trial subscription. If you get a chance, thanks. Or perhaps streaming doesn't count? Download could indicate storage of some sort. I'll have to try some other web video tests.

"This shows the most recent video download from an external source such as Amazon or Web Videos."
post #1397 of 1410 Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
When you download a video from Amazon it will also show up there.

Although with amazon streaming now, I rarely download stuff from amazon any more to my TiVos..

LED DLP
post #1398 of 1410 Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When you download a video from Amazon it will also show up there.

Although with amazon streaming now, I rarely download stuff from amazon any more to my TiVos..
Thank you. I understand now.
post #1399 of 1410 Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Time for new stuff. Might affect the Premiere too. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=524925
post #1400 of 1410 Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM
A J

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm a CM-7000PAL user and I'm considering buying a Roamio to replace that aging DVR. On TiVo's website it lists the available streaming apps as "Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube and more..."

Is a list available anywhere of the other streaming channels the Roamio can access?
post #1401 of 1410 Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I'm a CM-7000PAL user and I'm considering buying a Roamio to replace that aging DVR. On TiVo's website it lists the available streaming apps as "Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube and more..."

Is a list available anywhere of the other streaming channels the Roamio can access?
http://www.tivo.com/discover/service

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1402 of 1410 Old 01-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Season Pass - good for subsequent seasons?

Hi, all,

I'm getting to know my new Roamio basic, and I have a question about the Season Pass feature that I can't find an answer for anywhere!

I am using the Roamio in antenna/over-the-air mode (I'm a previous long-time user of the DTVPal).

I have set up a number of Season Passes for favorite shows, and so far everything is working perfectly.

My question: Will a Season Pass for a series continue to record new episodes for the NEXT season of that show?

For example, last evening the Roamio recorded the season two "Season Finale" of Resurrection on CBS.

When (if?) episodes for season three begin airing, will my current Season Pass for Resurrection begin recording the new episodes again, or do I need to create a NEW Season Pass for the new season?

Thanks!
post #1403 of 1410 Old 01-26-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzdvl View Post
Hi, all,

I'm getting to know my new Roamio basic, and I have a question about the Season Pass feature that I can't find an answer for anywhere!

I am using the Roamio in antenna/over-the-air mode (I'm a previous long-time user of the DTVPal).

I have set up a number of Season Passes for favorite shows, and so far everything is working perfectly.

My question: Will a Season Pass for a series continue to record new episodes for the NEXT season of that show?

For example, last evening the Roamio recorded the season two "Season Finale" of Resurrection on CBS.

When (if?) episodes for season three begin airing, will my current Season Pass for Resurrection begin recording the new episodes again, or do I need to create a NEW Season Pass for the new season?

Thanks!
If your question is "Will the SP still work if the show is off the air for a while?" the answer is Yes. It does get grayed out when no new episodes are found. Not to worry.
post #1404 of 1410 Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That's the beauty of a Season Pass. You don't need to know when your favorite shows are coming back. TiVo will record it when it pops up in the schedule again.
post #1405 of 1410 Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

You just listed all the big stuff, the 'and more' is miscellaneous junk that few care about (MLB TV, Huffington Post, AOL TV etc.). Amazon includes the free Prime Instant Videos btw.
post #1406 of 1410 Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzdvl View Post
Hi, all,

Thanks!
The vast majority of time it will work. But sometimes they change something with the name of the show or the way the meta data is listed which can cause the show not to be picked up with the old season pass. It's been rare though for me to run into this.

LED DLP
post #1407 of 1410 Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 281
Yep, sometimes SPs do go bad for whatever reason but as aaron said this is a rare event. An alternative is to create an auto-recording Wishlist (ARWL) using title or description keywords. I have an ARWL for American Horror Story just for that reason since the show title changes every year.
post #1408 of 1410 Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I couldn't believe I wasn't able to find that specific information anywhere.
post #1409 of 1410 Unread Yesterday, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Briefly tried looking online to find out all the audio formats that the base Tivo Roamio can decode. Couldn't find anything. DD 5.1 and DD+ are included right?
post #1410 of 1410 Unread Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Briefly tried looking online to find out all the audio formats that the base Tivo Roamio can decode. Couldn't find anything. DD 5.1 and DD+ are included right?
It seems to be decoding DD+ tracks. If the Roamio or Mini is set for stereo pcm output and you select the 5.1 DD+ tracks on Netflix and Vudu, I do get audio.

LED DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page