Hi, hopefully can get some answers. I just had the Xfinity X1 installed at my house and learned a few things I didn't realize about it post-install, and can't stand some of the features.
1. No backup when you FF and hit play, so you miss things or have to go back.
2. No pausing of TV on the mini-boxes on other TV's.
3. The remote is horrid -- VOL and CHAN are at the top, no instant access to DVR, etc.
So anyway, we are looking to move to Tivo and as I look at the costs (which appear to be pretty big), I'm trying to price out the system.
- I know I want a Pro for the main family room.
- I know I want two mini's for our other two TV watching rooms. Though I may do a DVR in our bedroom depending on the answer to the next question.
- In Tivo, can parents have a protected playlist that children can't access? Meaning, can I record an "after hours" show and have it only appear to us? For DirecTV, we just had our own DVR in our room and while we could see the playlist downstairs, we didn't share the upstairs one -- problem solved.
My other question is about networking -- my DVR right now is connected to a wall plate which then goes through a switch which connects to the router. If that is so, will MoCA work for the Mini's if they don't have an ethernet port handy?
Other than that, Tivo looks like a better solution for us. We dumped DirecTV only because we saved $150 a month because of the Quadruple Play discount on XFinity, but the X1 just is a step back from the Genie in about every way (storage, features...and dependancy on the cloud). I wish I had researched more before making the move. Wife is already peeved about the lack of pause upstairs and the crappy remote...