TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 53 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes
post #1561 of 1584 Unread 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatthimself View Post
RESOLVED.

5. MoCA adapter.

The Roamio will not bridge the ethernet to MoCA. I'm not sure why they designed it that way but they did. You must purchase an Actiontec MoCA adapter.

Good Luck
This is not correct. The Roamio Pro will bridge the Ethernet to MOCA. I have it working right now in my house. There is a setting you have to set to do the bridging. It does not show up during setup but the printed setup guide tells you how to do it. No need for a MoCA adapter with a Pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1584 Unread 04-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post
This is not correct. The Roamio Pro will bridge the Ethernet to MOCA. I have it working right now in my house. There is a setting you have to set to do the bridging. It does not show up during setup but the printed setup guide tells you how to do it. No need for a MoCA adapter with a Pro.
Greetings,

The Plus will do this as well...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #1563 of 1584 Unread 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post
Yes it will bridge from MoCA to Ethernet or Bridge from Ethernet to MoCA. I tested this both ways back in 2013. Although in my setup I don't Bridge with my Roamio Pro. I just use the GigE port. I bought an Actiontec MoCA to GigE adapter to connect my four Minis from MoCA to my GigE network. Since Bridging my Roamio Pro with MoCA/GigE gives me slower transfer rates to a PC running KMTTG/TiVo Desktop than when just connected to my GigE network.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-16-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling...doH!!
post #1564 of 1584 Unread 04-16-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am OTA only in a Detroit suburb close to the antennas. There are multipath issues.

I have a 2-year old Premier XL and a crippled many year old Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR.

The TiVo is a mess for some channels all the time and almost everything when serious rain or fog. The Sony receives all channels with good SQ and PQ if the weather is half-decent. I have not tried it during bad weather in a long time.

Has anyone had a Premier with OTA problems and tried a Roamio? What were your experiences?

All comments, suggestions, insults, information are appreciated.
post #1565 of 1584 Unread 04-16-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
Has anyone had a Premier with OTA problems and tried a Roamio? What were your experiences?

One reads pretty consistently that the OTA tuner in the Premier took a step backwards from the OTA tuner in the previous TiVo HD. The magnitude is debatable but everyone seems to agree on the direction.

By the same token, the Roamio Basic is reported to have a much better tuner than the Premier and is on par with the tuner in the HD. I have both the HD and Roamio getting OTA out of Philly and from what I see the Roamio tuner is very solid.

Of course, none of this may mean anything in your situation.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1566 of 1584 Unread 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
I am OTA only in a Detroit suburb close to the antennas. There are multipath issues.

I have a 2-year old Premier XL and a crippled many year old Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR.

The TiVo is a mess for some channels all the time and almost everything when serious rain or fog. The Sony receives all channels with good SQ and PQ if the weather is half-decent. I have not tried it during bad weather in a long time.

I had a similar problem with my Tivo HD, until I added a FM trap. My Sony TV and several other TVs which shared the same antenna never had a problem, after adding the FM trap(very inexpensive, generally <$5 and easy to install) I haven't had a lick of problems with my HD, and the TVs have been just fine also. I'm speculating that strong FM was confusing my Tivo into thinking the signal was occasionally too strong and turning down it's AGC to maximum, at least that what I'm thinking. You might want to give it a try.
post #1567 of 1584 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I have an original Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere, & Roamio all are/were used for OTA only. The Premiere was by fair the worst with many multi-path issues and the Roamio is the best with slightly better reception than the Series 3 & TiVo HD. I love the Roamio and would recommend it for OTA use.

Good Luck!
Kelson likes this.
post #1568 of 1584 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post
I have an original Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere, & Roamio all are/were used for OTA only. The Premiere was by fair the worst with many multi-path issues and the Roamio is the best with slightly better reception than the Series 3 & TiVo HD. I love the Roamio and would recommend it for OTA use.
Good comparison info across the product line. Thanks.

I'm glad I skipped over the Premier.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1569 of 1584 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

I've always received the same OTA channels with my DirecTV HD TiVo(2004), Series 3 OLED TiVo(2006), TiVo HD(2007), Premiere(2010), and now a Roamio Basic(2013). I still have a Premiere hooked up to OTA and a ROmaio Basic on OTA and I get all of the same channels. But I have two antennas setup outside, pointing in different directions, that are combined. I set the antennas up in 2004.

LED DLP
post #1570 of 1584 Unread 04-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I really having the ability to watch Cnet videos on my premier and Romio. Not worth giving up to get one pass.
post #1571 of 1584 Unread 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 307
One pass has nothing to do with the loss of web video downloads (including CNet). They just dropped that feature without telling anyone, and it sucks.
Dawgdaes likes this.
post #1572 of 1584 Unread 04-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
One pass has nothing to do with the loss of web video downloads (including CNet). They just dropped that feature without telling anyone, and it sucks.
No more youtube on my TivoHD. Just Netflix. Kind of messed up that Tivo no longer supports an old unit with new software. Fine that's the game to make you buy a new unit. But to take functionality away is just wrong.
post #1573 of 1584 Unread 04-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I will be moving back to Comcast when my Dish Network contract is up at the end of June. I want to use (2) TIVO Roamio Plus boxes and probably (4) mini's as well. I haven't seen anyone talk about if (2) TIVO Roamio boxes interact with each other, or whether or not users will be able to access all recorded shows from any mini or Roamio in the house. I'm hoping it will essentially give me 12 tuners available for plenty of show recording and live watching from all six devices.

Right now I have two Dish Hoppers which allow users in the house to get to all recordings on both DVRs from any tuner in the house. Is it the same on TIVO?

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #1574 of 1584 Unread 04-18-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
No more youtube on my TivoHD. Just Netflix. Kind of messed up that Tivo no longer supports an old unit with new software. Fine that's the game to make you buy a new unit. But to take functionality away is just wrong.
A bunch of devices from 2012 and earlier are losing access to youtube because of old apps.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135?hl=en

Quote:
Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015

Devices affected: Select devices manufactured in 2012 and earlier, including Sony TVs & Blu-ray Players, Panasonic TVs & Blu-ray Players, and devices running Google TV.

On April 20, 2015, we will no longer support the YouTube app on certain device models from 2012 and older, as we upgrade the Data API that these apps are based on.

We will continue to focus our efforts on improving our official YouTube app for TV which is available on most 2013 and newer smart TVs, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and streaming devices. You can find a list of our device partners here.

How can I continue using YouTube on my TV?

If you have a web browser on your Smart TV that supports flash and/or html5, you may be able to continue using YouTube by visiting youtube.com in your browser.

LED DLP
post #1575 of 1584 Unread 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
Its not that TiVo is taking YouTube away, rather that Google dropping support for the older V2 version of the YouTube API used by those units. And it isn't just TiVo. It is any older hardware (TVs, DVRs etc.) that is still using the V2 API that will lose the channel.

Once a product is no longer sold, it goes into its support life. Any updates past that point cost the company $ to create and test, but don't generate any additional revenue, since they are no longer selling that model. At some point, they decide to no longer provide updates to the firmware for older products. As technology changes, those products become obsolete and lose features. The best you can hope for is if there is large enough "hue and cry", TiVo might decide to issue an update. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

Greg
post #1576 of 1584 Unread 04-18-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 634
This is one of the reasons why I ignore Internet offerings on hardware players: as soon as one party or another gets bored with providing support for it, it will just stop working and possibly without warning, regardless of how expensive the device was. I prefer to purchase devices based upon their features that I can control and not upon features that third parties can discontinue at any time without my knowledge or consent.
post #1577 of 1584 Unread Yesterday, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
A bunch of devices from 2012 and earlier are losing access to youtube because of old apps.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135?hl=en
Also of note for Comcast subscribers, Comcast is starting to deploy MPEG4 in their systems which will make any TiVo older than a Premiere obsolete.
post #1578 of 1584 Unread Yesterday, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
I will be moving back to Comcast when my Dish Network contract is up at the end of June. I want to use (2) TIVO Roamio Plus boxes and probably (4) mini's as well. I haven't seen anyone talk about if (2) TIVO Roamio boxes interact with each other, or whether or not users will be able to access all recorded shows from any mini or Roamio in the house. I'm hoping it will essentially give me 12 tuners available for plenty of show recording and live watching from all six devices.

Right now I have two Dish Hoppers which allow users in the house to get to all recordings on both DVRs from any tuner in the house. Is it the same on TIVO?
You can get much more information on the TiVo Community Forum. On a network, a TiVo and Mini well with any other TiVo on the network. They can watch programs/stream from either host, and transfer programs simply. The Mini can select which host to use, just not with one keystroke. You will be able to have program sharing. You will not have the "watch some here and the rest here" type of functionality. You can, of course start a program at one location, stop it, the resume playing elsewhere. I have never tried it, but I have seen the "do you want to resume" message. Having a good network is important. A dual core router would be best. TiVo does not support WiFi for networking the system you describe. It works, but it's too complicated to support. While the two units can share content, they can't share To Do List or One Pass items easily.

Last edited by JoeKustra; Yesterday at 06:46 AM.
post #1579 of 1584 Unread Yesterday, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I tried a premier in several locations in my area for OTA, and I always had multi-path issues. The Tivo HD and HR10-250 I had in the past had no such issues, and neither does the Roamio I have now. The Premier just doesn't deal with the error correction needed for multi-path issues well.
post #1580 of 1584 Unread Today, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Also of note for Comcast subscribers, Comcast is starting to deploy MPEG4 in their systems which will make any TiVo older than a Premiere obsolete.
So mp4 should be smaller, we'd effectively be getting more hours of storage, correct? Also more programming could fit in a qam channel so less need for switched video.
post #1581 of 1584 Unread Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally upgraded from my Series 3 Tivos dating back to 2006, very impressed with the Roamios and Minis along with the Ipad/Android apps.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #1582 of 1584 Unread Today, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
So mp4 should be smaller, we'd effectively be getting more hours of storage, correct? Also more programming could fit in a qam channel so less need for switched video.
Depends on their use of MPEG-4.
They could use it to keep the bitrate the same but increase the quality of the offerings.

- kelson h

post #1583 of 1584 Unread Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Imagine that, a cable company increasing quality! I'll believe it when I see it...

Time warner where I live is generally below dvd quality. I would never watch a movie on HBO because the quality was so bad.
post #1584 of 1584 Unread Today, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Depends on their use of MPEG-4.
They could use it to keep the bitrate the same but increase the quality of the offerings.
Maybe, we can certainly hope although I wouldn't bet on it. More likely it will free up bandwidth for expanded speed increases of HSI along with possibly more room for VOD. Comcast has also been testing IP delivery of linear channels and it could allow room for that sort of transition should they decide to go that way.

I really doubt they'll use the room for better quality linear video, it's apparently already "good enough" now, why would they make it better if there's no big outcry about quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr