TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 54 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #1591 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
Don't you still have to pay a monthly fee for them to TiVo?
No, TiVo Minis now automatically come with Lifetime Service, regardless of where purchased or for how much.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/mini

TiVo lowered the price to $149.99 which includes Lifetime, at least until May 4, 2015. After that the price *may* go back to $249.99 or TiVo may extend the pricing again. If a Mini is purchased now it should be Activated by May 4, 2015 to insure one gets Lifetime included for no additional cost.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone, like me, ever had an issue where there is no sound output and the only solution is to reboot the TiVo?

It has only happened to me a few times since I received the unit in December, but its recurrence worries me.

My unit is a TiVo Roamio Plus, and I installed a 3TB Western Digital WD30EURX before even booting it up the first time.

Thanks for any advice....
post #1593 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post
Has anyone, like me, ever had an issue where there is no sound output and the only solution is to reboot the TiVo?

It has only happened to me a few times since I received the unit in December, but its recurrence worries me.

My unit is a TiVo Roamio Plus, and I installed a 3TB Western Digital WD30EURX before even booting it up the first time.

Since the TiVo is always running, could you explain what action causes the loss of audio?
thos19 likes this.
post #1594 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Joe,

I only notice the sound drop out when I resume watching TV on a given day. It doesn't suddenly go silent while watching.

With my limited knowledge of the subject, I wondered if it was some kind of HDMI handshaking issue when the pre-amp (Emotiva UMC-200) the TiVO is fed into is turned off/on. It doesn't seem to me to be a hard drive issue, but I could certainly be wrong...
post #1595 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:

I have not personally run into it with my Roamio Pro or BAsic but I think a few people at TiVo Community Forums reported a similar issue.
thos19 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1596 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have not personally run into it with my Roamio Pro or BAsic but I think a few people at TiVo Community Forums reported a similar issue.
I have a sound problem with my Mini, but that's my fault. I do have an unrelated question. I know the cable signal strength can't show over 100, but with your super network, can you transfer between two TiVo boxes (or a TiVo and PC) and get a reading over 100Mbps? I'm just wondering if that measurement is also capped. Thanks.
post #1597 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I have a sound problem with my Mini, but that's my fault. I do have an unrelated question. I know the cable signal strength can't show over 100, but with your super network, can you transfer between two TiVo boxes (or a TiVo and PC) and get a reading over 100Mbps? I'm just wondering if that measurement is also capped. Thanks.
The most I get sustained using KMTTG is 190Mb/s from a Roamio Pro to a PC over a gigabit wired connection.
post #1598 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I'll get around 170Mb/s to/from a PC running TiVo Desktop/KMTTG and the Roamio Pro connected to the GigE port.

The speeds really depend on what else is going on with the Roamio Pro. If I tune the six tuners to vacant channels then the transfer rates will hit 190Mb/s. But under normal conditions with tuners buffering six channels and some recordings going on I'll have around 170Mb/s transfer rates.

LED DLP
post #1599 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Tanner View Post
The MLB.tv app is pissing me off. It gets choppy and rewinds several seconds or skips ahead all the time. It's 100% on their end. My network is a very good home network I set up and stress tested myself.

The TiVo app sucks. I've had to go back to The Apple TV version because of all the reasons you stated. Works fine on Apple TV,
post #1600 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
The TiVo app sucks. I've had to go back to The Apple TV version because of all the reasons you stated. Works fine on Apple TV,
With the Apple TV app can you choose both your video and audio streams like you can watching from a pc? That's one huge disappointment with the Tivo app is not being able to watch the Royals video stream with the KC sports radio audio stream.
post #1601 of 1612 Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
With the Apple TV app can you choose both your video and audio streams like you can watching from a pc? That's one huge disappointment with the Tivo app is not being able to watch the Royals video stream with the KC sports radio audio stream.

I don't believe so. One of my devices can do that, but I can't remember which and I'm pretty sure it's not the ATV.
post #1602 of 1612 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
The most I get sustained using KMTTG is 190Mb/s from a Roamio Pro to a PC over a gigabit wired connection.
Quote:
I'll get around 170Mb/s to/from a PC running TiVo Desktop/KMTTG and the Roamio Pro connected to the GigE port.
Roamio Basic has a 10/100 network port. I generally get sustained 60Mbps using kmttg across powerline adapters with all tuners buffering channels. I read somewhere in here that someone was getting ~75-80Mbps with a Cat6 connection between Roamio Basic and PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1603 of 1612 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

On my Mini, I occasionally have to reboot it to get sound working with my circa 2007 Samsung 46" LCD. I think the problem is an HDMI handshake issue on my TV. I do not have a similar problem on my 2012 Sammy Plasma with Roamio OTA.
post #1604 of 1612 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Roamio Basic has a 10/100 network port. I generally get sustained 60Mbps using kmttg across powerline adapters with all tuners buffering channels. I read somewhere in here that someone was getting ~75-80Mbps with a Cat6 connection between Roamio Basic and PC.
I'll get around 94mbps transfer rates with my Roamio Basic. I use cat5e cabling with GigE switches.
post #1605 of 1612 Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll get around 94mbps transfer rates with my Roamio Basic. I use cat5e cabling with GigE switches.
I appreciate you taking the time to check. My best rate is 94Mbps from my Roamio basic to my Dell 3647. One is using wired to wireless ASUS EA-N66R and one is USB 3.0 Realtek 8812AU. The basic Premiere is wired to the router and gets about 80Mbps.
post #1606 of 1612 Old Today, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Where do you see the data speeds?
post #1607 of 1612 Old Today, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
Two places. The TiVo Settings, Network, Diagnostics, Transfer Speeds. You can check all but video downloads, since they have been killed off. On the PC (with Desktop), the Task Manager can display Network Performance. If it's Win 7 there is a percentage of your link speed. In Win 8.1, it is shown in Mbps and a graph. Other TiVo activity can affect the speed also. Just having a Mini active reduces my Roamio basic speeds about 10%. But the router is just so fast, so this isn't unexpected since both are wireless on my system.
post #1608 of 1612 Old Today, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Same here my last transfer Roamio to PC via TiVo Desk Top over wire connection was 93.79.
post #1609 of 1612 Old Today, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'll get around 94mbps transfer rates with my Roamio Basic.
Quote:
My best rate is 94Mbps from my Roamio basic to my Dell 3647.
That's great. I wish I could squeeze an extra 30Mbps though my PLA's. Is that rate with the tuners buffering live channels or with the tuners set to dead-air channels?

Edit: Is that kmttg speeds?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; Today at 05:43 AM.
post #1610 of 1612 Old Today, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
If you use kmttg, the transfer rate is displayed live on the interface screen as the transfer is taking place. That way you can see the impact on transfer speed if you have other things going on with the TiVo (i.e. buffering/recording channels, streaming to Mini, etc.) or other traffic on your network.

- kelson h

post #1611 of 1612 Old Today, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's great. I wish I could squeeze an extra 30Mbps though my PLA's. Is that rate with the tuners buffering live channels or with the tuners set to dead-air channels?

All tuners on active HD channels. I don't use kmttg. This started when I learned that my clear QAM was going to be encrypted and my Sony DHGs would be obsolete. To make a long story short, I decided to use wireless for my new Roamio and Mini. I then discovered that a Roamio using its built-in WiFi doesn't work as a Mini server. I moved my Premiere downstairs where it's close to the router and moved the Roamio upstairs to my "cave". Then I found the wireless "lacking" so I started looking for something to make everything work better and add some future proofing. Since the price of oil was dropping, I had some extra cash also. So I found a nice (but ugly) router, Netgear R7500. I also store my music on its USB drives. I found that my old laptop and Dell 3647 desktop had "lacking" WiFi also. With the computers I changed to Realtek RTL8811AU for the laptop and RTL8812AU for the PC. I also was looking to off load programs to the two computers also. For the Mini I use the TiVo AN0100 adapter which is on the same floor as the router but has two thick walls in between it and the router. The Roamio seemed to need a wired interface, so I found the ASUS EA-N66R best after testing the Linksys and Netgear adapters. Only the Netgear EX6200 came close. So, with everything at 802.11a or ac, speed and reliability met my expectations. I don't have much external interference. Last check it was 4 routers and a dozen telephones. I could also get my printer wireless but I left it on 2.4GHz. The Roamio has no problem with Amazon 1080/P24, and a two hour HD program can move to a PC from either TiVo in under 15 minutes. At this time I'm unable to move any program over 2GB from the PC to the TiVo. No problem with moving programs between the TiVos so they share recording and storage duties. It's like having six tuners and my next step is to pull the 1TB drive from the MYBOOK AV and put in the Roamio. I already have an external 1T drive on my laptop.

Sorry if this is more than you asked for, but I wanted to be sure my motives were clear and observations were complete. I can watch TiVo recordings on my Dell. It has a 23" HDMI monitor and good external speakers so it's not so bad.
post #1612 of 1612 Old Today, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

With my ROamio Basic that is with the four channels buffering. And using the transfer rates that KMTTG shows.

LED DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr