TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
post #1651 of 1673 Unread 05-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not good. Too many Mini's. Mini's currently have a huge flaw in their design that I don't know if it will ever be corrected -- when you turn off the TV using the Mini, the Mini does not release the Roamio tuner. Unless you remember to release the tuner by pressing the TiVo button it will hold the tuner for a couple hours. If you have shows set to record on the Roamio and not enough tuners available because the Mini's are holding them, they won't record. You may think you can always remember to release the tuner when done but I guarantee your family members will not.

If you have 6 TV's to cover, you need 2 Roamio's and 4 Mini's. Use one Roamio Pro to serve the Mini's and the other to do your recordings. If you are serving multiple Mini's you want to use Moca and you want to serve them from a 5 or 6-tuner Roamio with built-in Moca to get full Moca speed. The 4-tuner Roamio requires a separate Moca bridge which connects to the TiVo with 100baseT ethernet. That is not fast enough to serve multiple Mini's simultaneously with smooth trickplay -- remember every Mini holding onto a tuner is putting the full load on the network and using bandwidth.
I am close to buying the whole TiVo setup and wonder what would happen if 3 of the Mini boxes did live TV streams and the other 3 Mini boxes did recorded content streams, all from a single Roamio Basic? I am getting 2 Roamio Basic boxes and this is a very unlikely scenario, but I wonder if a single Roamio Basic doing all of this streaming would get bogged down? Would it cause any trick play command delays from the Mini boxes? Would the Mini boxes be bitrate starved and produce a lower quality, stuttering video? Would the 10/100 Ethernet connection be a severe limitation in this unlikely scenario? I will not be transferring anything to my Mac, I will only be streaming live and recorded shows to the 6 Mini boxes from the 2 Roamio Basic boxes.

I really like the Roamio Pro boxes because of the faster Ethernet connection and the included MoCA, which is faster than the Ethernet connection on the Roamio Basic. I wonder if this extra network speed would be helpful with 6 Mini boxes potentially involved in the scenario described above? Also, if I got the 2 Roamio Pro boxes, I would only get 5 Mini boxes, since I could place the Roamio Pro boxes anywhere, thanks to the MoCA capability.

I have 8 TV's, but 2 of them are in the same room and rarely used at the same time. 1 is an LED and the other is a front projector and both are connected to the same receiver.

Thanks for any of help.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral

Last edited by TazExprez; 05-17-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1673 Unread 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 959
I've streamed six things concurrently from my Roamio BAsic with zero issues. I streamed to four minis, one ROmaio Pro and a Premiere. But then brodcaast content is not high bitrate. AT some point you would saturate the 100BT connection, but streaming concurrently to six devices didn't do it.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1653 of 1673 Unread 05-19-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've streamed six things concurrently from my Roamio BAsic with zero issues. I streamed to four minis, one ROmaio Pro and a Premiere. But then brodcaast content is not high bitrate. AT some point you would saturate the 100BT connection, but streaming concurrently to six devices didn't do it.
That's pretty amazing -- both that you can have that many streams being serviced by the Roamio Basic over 100baseT and the amount of equipment you seem to have in your residence.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1654 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Does Roamio have a menu command to flush the Deleted folder. I don't see any way to select multiple programs for permanent deletion from the menu. I know the system is designed to run with the disk full and it does that very well, but I still like to flush the deletes at the end of the fall season and give the disk some breathing room.

The Remote tab in kmttg allows me to do this very nicely. I can select all the programs in the Deleted folder with a shift-click and permanently delete them with a single click. I'm just curious if there is a command in Roamio to basically do the same thing.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1655 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Does Roamio have a menu command to flush the Deleted folder. I don't see any way to select multiple programs for permanent deletion from the menu. I know the system is designed to run with the disk full and it does that very well, but I still like to flush the deletes at the end of the fall season and give the disk some breathing room.

The Remote tab in kmttg allows me to do this very nicely. I can select all the programs in the Deleted folder with a shift-click and permanently delete them with a single click. I'm just curious if there is a command in Roamio to basically do the same thing.
Select the folder, and on the Remote, press the CLEAR button. Several options will appear. It took me a long time to discover that!
osu1991 likes this.
post #1656 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Select the folder, and on the Remote, press the CLEAR button. Several options will appear. It took me a long time to discover that!
Do you mean select the Deleted folder?

- kelson h

post #1657 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Seems to work only with folders that have an [X] number after them.
post #1658 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Seems to work only with folders that have an [X] number after them.
yep, darn it just tried and came to same conclusion
post #1659 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Maybe we're talking about two different things. I'm mean to select a Folder that still contains recordings, not a folder already deleted (or emptied). If you mean from "Recently Deleted Recordings", I haven't found a way to select multiple items and purge them with one button push, but the CLEAR buttons works on them individually to permanently delete them.
post #1660 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Maybe we're talking about two different things. I'm mean to select a Folder that still contains recordings, not a folder already deleted (or emptied). If you mean from "Recently Deleted Recordings", I haven't found a way to select multiple items and purge them with one button push, but the CLEAR buttons works on them individually to permanently delete them.
Yes, my question is directed at clearing the Recently Deleted Recordings folder -- the TiVo recycle bin.

I'm curious if a command exists on the Roamio to clear that folder -- empty the recycle bin. I can do it with kmttg which allows me to shift-click select all the files and do a remote delete. Just curious if anyone has found a way to do it at the Roamio instead of having to Clear one title at a time. I'm thinking that there isn't.

- kelson h

post #1661 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Sorry man but that's just way too anal, I've run all my Tivos will full disks for years (due to shows in Deleted) and there's never been an issue.

There's no real reason to be concerned about this except OCD, or maybe unless you're always recovering stuff other people delete.
post #1662 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Yes, my question is directed at clearing the Recently Deleted Recordings folder -- the TiVo recycle bin.

I'm curious if a command exists on the Roamio to clear that folder -- empty the recycle bin. I can do it with kmttg which allows me to shift-click select all the files and do a remote delete. Just curious if anyone has found a way to do it at the Roamio instead of having to Clear one title at a time. I'm thinking that there isn't.
You can Use kmttg to select all in the Deleted Folder and press Delete

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1663 of 1673 Unread 05-20-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:

There is no way to do it from the TiVo itself. You need to permanently delete each title individually. But the TiVo is also not a PC. HAving the disc full will not cause any issues. But if you want to quickly and easily delele the shows in the recently deleted folder, The easiest and quickest option is to use KMTTG.

RIght now I'm in the process of filling up my 5TB Red drive in my Roamio Pro.(At 90% ) And I just started filling up a 1TB Red drive I put in my ROmaio Basic tonight. I like to fill up the drives initially to make sure there aren't any obvious issues with the drive in the TiVo.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1664 of 1673 Unread 05-21-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sorry man but that's just way too anal, I've run all my Tivos will full disks for years (due to shows in Deleted) and there's never been an issue.

There's no real reason to be concerned about this except OCD, or maybe unless you're always recovering stuff other people delete.
It's not anal at all, I selectively delete from my deleted folder when my Tivo starts filling up with programs to be watched. When this happens things may only sit in my deleted folder for less than a week before being automatically recorded over. If I want more than a weeks option to recover something that has been deleted, I selectively delete things(from my deleted folder) to give more time for something I think I may want to recover. Other things I know I'll never watch again I delete right away. Again the only time I bother with this is when I have lots of programs to watch and I notice things may only sit in my deleted folder for a week or less, otherwise the majority of the time I just let my Tivo record over things in my deleted folder as it wants, which is generally first in, first out.
With the amount of things I record I generally notice the oldest things in my deleted folder is ~ 1 month old, this is with a 1TB HDD, the more I record or save the shorter that time is.

Last edited by jjeff; 05-21-2015 at 05:00 AM.
post #1665 of 1673 Unread 05-21-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
You can Use kmttg to select all in the Deleted Folder and press Delete
Isn't that what I just said in the post you quoted?

Quote:
I'm curious if a command exists on the Roamio to clear that folder -- empty the recycle bin. I can do it with kmttg which allows me to shift-click select all the files and do a remote delete.

- kelson h

post #1666 of 1673 Unread 05-21-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I know the TiVo is designed to run in a "disk full" condition -- I stated that at the outset. I have run my TiVo's like that for years without any issues or thoughts of cleaning out the Deleted folder -- especially when having to do it 1 title at a time.

This was just a case of some recent interaction with @pachinko that got me looking deeper into kmttg than I normally use it and I "discovered" a number of things including the ability to easily wipe out the files in the Deleted folder by Remote command. As a result of being able to do it easily, I thought it might be a good idea to annually give the HDD some breathing room and eliminate some fragmentation by wiping the Deleted folder at the end of the recording season. So I was just curious if TiVo had stuck a command in there to do it.
pachinko likes this.

- kelson h

post #1667 of 1673 Unread 05-21-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Catching up on my reading and did not see an answer to this. Probably too late but....

Yes, you do need a TA for HD (in most cases.) But also, you may need to use a different, very high channel number, perhaps 1102 for channel 2. In my case, some do and some don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post
Hello!

I have TWC and I just purchased a TiVo Roamio to help lower my cable bill. While I currently have a package with 200 channels, I will be downgrading to the lowest package with HD television for the basic channels. I believe it's 'Starter TV '.

I picked up a CableCard yesterday and I am getting TV! However, all of my basic channels are in SD not HD. On top of that, I don't receive many channels over the 100 mark.

For example, channel 2,4,5,7 - are all in SD. However, DSC (ch 15) is in HD.

Am I to assume I need a SDV Tuning Adapter to put in line in order to get HD television? The Cable Care I have is a Multi-Stream Cisco powerkey.

Thanks!
post #1668 of 1673 Unread 05-21-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Isn't that what I just said in the post you quoted?
My Bad Did not read the entire post.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1669 of 1673 Unread 05-22-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
It's not anal at all, I selectively delete from my deleted folder when my Tivo starts filling up with programs to be watched. When this happens things may only sit in my deleted folder for less than a week before being automatically recorded over. If I want more than a weeks option to recover something that has been deleted, I selectively delete things(from my deleted folder) to give more time for something I think I may want to recover. Other things I know I'll never watch again I delete right away. Again the only time I bother with this is when I have lots of programs to watch and I notice things may only sit in my deleted folder for a week or less, otherwise the majority of the time I just let my Tivo record over things in my deleted folder as it wants, which is generally first in, first out.
With the amount of things I record I generally notice the oldest things in my deleted folder is ~ 1 month old, this is with a 1TB HDD, the more I record or save the shorter that time is.
So I guess the pertinent question is, why do you regularly need to recover a show you've already watched and deleted? If you think you might want to keep it, offload it to a PC with kmttg or pyTivo.

Still not understanding why anyone cares what's in Deleted unless someone else in your house is deleting stuff you want and/or you're seriously OCD.
post #1670 of 1673 Unread 05-22-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
So I guess the pertinent question is, why do you regularly need to recover a show you've already watched and deleted? If you think you might want to keep it, offload it to a PC with kmttg or pyTivo.

Still not understanding why anyone cares what's in Deleted unless someone else in your house is deleting stuff you want and/or you're seriously OCD.
I can't speak for Kelson who brought this up but in a multiple user household someone else occasionally does delete something I'd like to watch. It's also not often but running with a nearly empty deleted folder when you delete something thats old that program is almost immediately recorded over, IOW overwriting from the deleted folder goes off date, not how long ago you deleted it. And again I don't regularly do this, only when I notice less than 50?? things in my deleted folder. Normally it contains 100+ items
post #1671 of 1673 Unread 05-26-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 165
TiVo said to be launching Cox video on demand

I've been very impressed with Tivo's recent updates and if this comes to fruition even more so.
foghorn2 likes this.

Last edited by Chere; 05-26-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Fixed link
post #1672 of 1673 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quick question for anyone using a Roamio on Comcast, I am probably moving over to Comcast (from Dish) in about a week, is there a way to either have HD duplicate channels completely overtake the SD equivalent channels? One thing I've always hated about Comcast in the past is you had to tune to a 700 or 800 number channel to view the HD equivalent channel. Just bothers me, I'm used to Directv and Dish which give the options completely remove the SD channel and the HD channels is the same channel number.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #1673 of 1673 Unread Today, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post
Quick question for anyone using a Roamio on Comcast, I am probably moving over to Comcast (from Dish) in about a week, is there a way to either have HD duplicate channels completely overtake the SD equivalent channels? One thing I've always hated about Comcast in the past is you had to tune to a 700 or 800 number channel to view the HD equivalent channel. Just bothers me, I'm used to Directv and Dish which give the options completely remove the SD channel and the HD channels is the same channel number.
There is no option to block manual entry of any channel when entering the channel number. There is no mapping function. Keep hating.

I only use the number pad when testing something, or if the HD feed of TWC breaks and I switch to the SD feed. The guide is much easier to use, and you can set the channels displayed into three groups: all, my channels, and my favorites. The Mini uses its host's setting. With 450 channels, I have some checked as my channels that are seldom watched, and about 20 that are my favorites. I always use my favorites, so it's one button for guide and then select and enter. Also, you have four or six tuners that are usually on different channels. There is one button that cycles through those tuners. TiVo has "dynamic tuner allocation", which just means it applies some logic when assigning tuners. It's hard to explain but great once you get used to it. You can also hit Info and Down to see what each tuner is assigned to at any time. Or hit right and down for the same display. You can go to any channel already assigned a tuner and inherit its 30 minute buffer.

I thought a long explanation would help. I could have just said no, but I feel chatty this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr