TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #1711 of 1771 Old 06-14-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Unless this is fixed in a future version of the TiVo app I'm not going to have any use for Plex. I'll stick with TiVo Desktop and just work around it for the Mini.
Why do manufacturers release half finished products instead of doing it properly the first time? I mean Tivo must have been working on this for a loooooong time based on their history, or is this a sign that they reacted to competition from the likes of CM/Tablo and are repositioning themselves with features the other dont to differentiate themselves?

It would be really nice to have better than 720/4 viewing. There are things called profilers which can be used to identify and address performance bottlenecks and I only can imagine they ran into performance problems with 1080p streaming so decided to roll out a crippled feature rather than wait and fix it then release it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1771 Old 06-14-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Why do manufacturers release half finished products instead of doing it properly the first time?
It's cheaper to release an unfinished product now that they can use updates to fix only the problems that people complain about the most, as opposed to paying a QA department to fix everything initially. Welcome to the world created by the possibility of downloadable updates. If your software comes on a disc, you'd better make sure that it's perfect, or everybody will hate it. Such attention to detail is no longer necessary when you can make changes to your software whenever you want by rolling out a deluge of patches.
osu1991 and JoeKustra like this.
post #1713 of 1771 Old 06-14-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Agile! I live with it...
ncted likes this.
post #1714 of 1771 Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Why do manufacturers release half finished products instead of doing it properly the first time? I mean Tivo must have been working on this for a loooooong time based on their history, or is this a sign that they reacted to competition from the likes of CM/Tablo and are repositioning themselves with features the other dont to differentiate themselves?

It would be really nice to have better than 720/4 viewing. There are things called profilers which can be used to identify and address performance bottlenecks and I only can imagine they ran into performance problems with 1080p streaming so decided to roll out a crippled feature rather than wait and fix it then release it.
Most of the streaming will be done by tablets and cell phones. Not much need for 1080P playback for that. AS far as other media playback, I use my "real" media players for that. 99% of my content is in the BD ISO format so PLEX doesn't work with that anyway.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1715 of 1771 Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
I also changed one of my WDTV Live SMP's to look at the Plex Server, it offered up Direct Play Enabled, Direct Stream Enabled and I could set Local Resolution and Quality to the Highest.
I have not gotten around to enabling the DLNA server component of Plex to see what it looks like on my WD Live-SMP. It's a curiosity experiment. I'm in no hurry because I seriously doubt I would ever use Plex over Mezzmo as my DLNA server for BD.m2ts rips -- with Mezzmo I have total control of the playlist interface and have completely shut down any transcoding so I know it never corrupts my full bitrate BD rips. Plex has a lot of nice Plex features but it can't hold a candle to Mezzmo as a DLNA server -- which is perfectly OK since its main use is to be a Plex server.

After more playing around with Plex on the TiVo I have found a use for it that will keep it on the server and regularly used -- TiVo Plex is perfect for playing TV DVD rips. They are all 480i/AC3 which falls under the TiVo Plex limitations. I have over 800 TV DVD's ripped to my server as DVD.iso for playback using my Live-SMP's. There is no Live-SMP on the HDTV in the kitchen with the Mini which is the 2nd most used HDTV in the house. I have found it doesn't take me a whole lot of time to identify and extract the individual DVD episodes to MKV files -- especially when done a little at a time for select series we are currently watching. TiVo Plex is perfect for watching TV DVD episodes and not just on the kitchen Mini but on the Roamios as well -- It took me virtually no time at all after playing with it to say this is the way to go.

So going forward, looks like it will be a clear division of labor on my whole-house network:
  • TiVo/Plex for SD DVD TV episode rips
  • Live-SMP/Mezzmo for full-bitrate HD BluRay rips
  • TiVo/TiVo Desktop for Roamio HDTV recordings collected and sent to the server

Looks like a winner
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1716 of 1771 Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm now at the point where I have ripped the episodes of quite a few TV series DVD's for the Plex server.

The TiVo Plex interface is an acquired taste -- one I'm not totally on-board with yet. It looks real pretty and all that, with the cover art presentation for the series, etc. but that comes at a price. When you have a lot of series, scrolling sideways through the pictures 1-by-1 to get to where you want gets old quick. I'm used to the WDTV Live/Mezzmo interface where I get a 2-column list of 20 titles (or folders) on a page with fast page-level scrolling. I can get to any entry in a matter of seconds. Plex scrolling takes forever and a ton of button pushes to get deep into the list.

Other than that, usage has been very smooth and being able to use the TiVo's (and especially the kitchen Mini) to watch this DVD content has been a big carrot to make it all worth it. I'll continue gradually converting the DVD.iso in the library. There are a lot of Plex server configuration options I haven't explored yet so as I get time I'm going through the help files, but for now everything works nicely and so I'm concentrating my free time on converting the DVD.iso. It's too bad MakeMKV doesn't have a batch interface.
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1717 of 1771 Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That's my annoyance too, but its growing on me. It is slow going thru hundreds series or episode pics in that side by side view. I do like that it sets up the next episode to play in the on deck listing when you open Plex.

I've been using it a lot for DVD episodes the past week and it is convenient not having to switch boxes and inputs to do that, which is why I've watched so much.
post #1718 of 1771 Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's my annoyance too, but its growing on me. It is slow going thru hundreds series or episode pics in that side by side view. I do like that it sets up the next episode to play in the on deck listing when you open Plex.

I've been using it a lot for DVD episodes the past week and it is convenient not having to switch boxes and inputs to do that, which is why I've watched so much.
Yes, once you scroll to and start to watch a series, the initial page screens that help you continue where you left off without a lot of effort are a big help that make this palatable. Even though I have a Harmony remote, which makes switching to the WD Live-SMP a 1-button transition, there is no denying the convenience factor of being able to just make a quick TiVo menu selection and not having to fire up a media player -- which takes some time to boot.

- kelson h

post #1719 of 1771 Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TiVo is having their "Summer Sale" which features $350 lifetime service.

That means that in addition to the continuing offer of a $400 Roamio OTA (lifetime) you can get a full Roamio Basic (lifetime) for $500.

Or, you can pick up a "re-certified" Roamio Basic (lifetime) for $400.

Similar discounts for the Plus and Pro models.

No published end-date for the sale -- just the usual "while supplies last".

- kelson h

post #1720 of 1771 Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks Kelson. I couldn't find anything that specifies, but do you know if the re-certified units come with their standard warranty?

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #1721 of 1771 Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
Thanks Kelson. I couldn't find anything that specifies, but do you know if the re-certified units come with their standard warranty?
I can't say. It would be best to call them and ask.
The only things that ever go bad are the power supply and the HDD. Both are user replaceable. TiVo sells the power supply for $5.99 and you can buy a 3TB WD30EURX AV drive for $120 at Amazon.

- kelson h

post #1722 of 1771 Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
TiVo Hot Summer Sale

TiVo Hot Summer Sale
Save BIG on TiVo Roamio series DVRs while supplies last!

New Roamio OTA ($50)
New Roamio Basic ($150)
Renewed Roamio Basic ($50)
Renewed Roamio Plus ($200)
Renewed Roamio Pro ($300)

Product Lifetime service $349.99 reg. $499.99

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1723 of 1771 Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^ Look 3 posts up.

- kelson h

post #1724 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 172
'Really been impressed with tivo lately. The seamless integration of both Netflix and Amazon prime shows has been one of the most underrated features and I'm really hoping that Sling TV, HBO Go and the Showtime app will be potential future add ons as well.

My dream scenario will be where tivo gets into an agreement with these apps and add a recording feature as an option as well. I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for this and If I'm not mistaken the current Roamio hardwares are more than capable of handling this feature. If Tivo can somehow accomplish this, I think it might be a game changer especially for the ever growing cord cutters looking for alternatives out there.

Last edited by Chere; 06-24-2015 at 02:48 AM.
post #1725 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
'Really been impressed with tivo lately. The seamless integration of both Netflix and Amazon prime shows has been one of the most underrated features and I'm really hoping that Sling TV, HBO Go and the Showtime app will be potential future add ons as well.

My dream scenario will be where tivo gets into an agreement with these apps and add a recording feature as an option as well. I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for this and If I'm not mistaken the current Roamio hardwares are more than capable of handling this feature. If Tivo can somehow accomplish this, I think it might be a game changer especially for the ever growing cord cutters looking for alternatives out there.
Since I'm using a LUTs processor, I like doing as much as I can off of the Tivo too.

I doubt that they'll go back to recording downloads from some of these sources. That was good primarily due to it was being done at a higher quality level not dependent on internet congestion.
post #1726 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Since I'm using a LUTs processor, I like doing as much as I can off of the Tivo too.

I doubt that they'll go back to recording downloads from some of these sources. That was good primarily due to it was being done at a higher quality level not dependent on internet congestion.
TiVo never recorded any downloads or streaming content.

LED DLP
post #1727 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I have only Amazon Prime and 1-pass is quite amazing -- I can imagine if I added Netflix and Hulu plus. Would be just too much content to contend with.

I can see TiVo eventually integrating HBO and Showtime into 1-Pass like the other catalog streaming services. HBO's and Showtime's Internet streaming presence outside of a cable subscription is in its infancy -- they are hampered by contractual obligations & limitations with cable when it comes to their live broadcasts. Cable services are their bread-n-butter. They have to decide what they want to be when they grow up before they can be taken seriously.

As to Sling-TV -- TiVo is a premium DVR, not a Roku wannabe. Unless TiVo can DVR Sling channels the way it DVR's all others -- buffering for trick-play, full guide presence, scheduled recordings -- their addition would not fit in with the TiVo experience so why would they bother.
JoeKustra likes this.

- kelson h

post #1728 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
TiVo never recorded any downloads or streaming content.
Series 3 would record downloaded movies from Amazon. This is before streaming became the big thing.
post #1729 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Series 3 would record downloaded movies from Amazon. This is before streaming became the big thing.
no it didnt. it didnt record downloaded movies, it would simply download the movie from amazon and save it to the hard drive. there was no recording involved.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1730 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 AM
A J

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the heads up about the summer sale at TiVo.com. I just ordered the OTA with lifetime for $399.98, free shipping and no sales tax. Sounded like a good deal to me.

Last edited by A J; 06-24-2015 at 08:16 AM.
post #1731 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
no it didnt. it didnt record downloaded movies, it would simply download the movie from amazon and save it to the hard drive. there was no recording involved.
You don't call putting a movie on a hard drive recording then what is it?
post #1732 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
really? did you really ask that? its called downloading.

when you download porn onto your computer, are you recording it?

ill give you the benefit of the doubt if "computers" are new to you.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1733 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

?????

I would never call that recording.

LED DLP
post #1734 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Think of it like this: you can watch a recording. You can't watch a download until after it's done. I miss the internet CNET downloads. I can, however, watch them now but not save them to a file.
post #1735 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Just semantics. Everyone knows what is meant.

Personally I think of it this way:
  • If you are spooling a transport stream in real time as it plays -- that's recording.
  • If you are spooling a transport stream in burst mode (i.e. it completes the spooling of the TS faster than it plays in real time) -- that's transferring.
  • If you are spooling a non-transport stream that can't be watched as it is being spooled and must complete the spooling to be watched -- that's downloading.
Those first 3 are predicated on your having menu access to the item so that it can be played/replayed at a later date.
  • If you are spooling a transport stream in burst mode so that it can be watched in real-time without interruptions due to data delays -- that's buffering
Those are just my semantics or nomenclature. Other can/will have their own. Must be a slow day.
regulator8 likes this.

- kelson h

post #1736 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Just semantics. Everyone knows what is meant.

I had no idea that when recording was mentioned that it was meant as download. The thought would have never even crossed my mind.

LED DLP
post #1737 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Kelson, thanks for the heads up about the Tivo sale.
Could you tell a fellow Delawarean (or is it Delawarite?) if I got the Tivo-renewed Roamio, could I use that as a Comcast DVR replacement? I guess I need a cable card.

My plan would be to see if I could get by with OTA and Netflix and all. But if it doesn't pick up the channels I hoped it would, I could still use it (and save some $$).

Last edited by Purple Kerbie; 06-24-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
post #1738 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You need the Roamio Basic if you want the capability for both OTA and cable. You need a cable card from Comcast but no other box on that HDTV. It replaces the Comcast DVR but you won't have Comcast On-Demand capability with the TiVo.

If you already have an antenna set up, use the tuner in your HDTV and scan to see what channels you pick up. The TiVo will most likely get everything the TV can. If not there is always the option of a small amp. Also go to antennaweb.org to see what the reception map will look like at your address and what kind of antenna you would need. The further south of the North DE boarder you go and get into the hills and valleys the more difficult it is to get OTA in DE.

- kelson h

post #1739 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
You need the Roamio Basic if you want the capability for both OTA and cable. You need a cable card from Comcast but no other box on that HDTV. It replaces the Comcast DVR but you won't have Comcast On-Demand capability with the TiVo.
Just to be clear, you cannot do both OTA and Cable at the same time on the Roamio, at least not in any easy or intentional way. Also, Tivo claims you can do Xfinity on demand, at least in some areas:

https://www.tivo.com/my-account/how-...-premiere-dvrs
Kelson likes this.
post #1740 of 1771 Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Things keep developing. I had a lot of episode disks ripped but they were seasons of just a few discrete series. I now have more discrete series on the server and the TiVo-Plex display has changed. I now have a double row stack of series icons and an alphabet list has appeared at the bottom of the screen. I can go directly to a series by starting letter. This is quite a bit better and much quicker than anticipated.

I really need to take some time and read through the manual screens for the server setup. There is a lot of stuff I can probably configure that I don't know about. There is this whole thing with "agents" that I don't get yet.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr