TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #1741 of 1767 Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I haven't delved very far into the server settings. I have opened a port up on my router at home and I can now see the Plex server on my Roamio at the Lake house too. It worked well streaming a few episodes out there. The alphabet list helps a lot as I have currently have 42 series and over 2000 episodes ripped to that NAS. I need another NAS and a bigger one if I want to use Plex for everything I have available. I have had to take some time matching stuff that I have from foreign networks that it didn't match or tried to match to a US version. I am enjoying this now, as I said earlier one device integration is very appealing and makes me use it more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1767 Old 06-24-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You need the Roamio Basic if you want the capability for both OTA and cable. You need a cable card from Comcast but no other box on that HDTV. It replaces the Comcast DVR but you won't have Comcast On-Demand capability with the TiVo.
On Demand does work with Tivo.
post #1743 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It does not work with Time Warner cable in Rochester. Cablecard does not work with their on demand.
post #1744 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
I haven't delved very far into the server settings . . . . I have had to take some time matching stuff that I have from foreign networks that it didn't match or tried to match to a US version. I am enjoying this now, as I said earlier one device integration is very appealing and makes me use it more.
I'm enjoying it also, on several levels. I'm seeing some odd stuff myself with Plex server. So far it has identified each series correctly. I have a couple series where it picks up the poster art for the main series icon and for the first couple seasons then draws a blank on poster art for the remaining seasons. It does recognize them because it has all the episode meta data including the episode summaries -- it just draws a blank on the poster art. I have a feeling it has something to do with this whole "agent" thing and where it looks for stuff.

Right now I'm focused on converting the unwatched DVD.iso of my collection and extracting the episodes to MKV for Plex. I have a straight-forward process defined for my collection and I'm just chugging along with its execution. I did seasons 1-3 of Falling Skies last night -- it took me about an hour and maybe half of that time was unattended computer chugging. I think that when I get everything ripped to episode that I want, I'm going to delete the whole Plex library and let it reconstruct from scratch after going through the configuration documentation and figuring out this "agent" thing.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1745 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
TiVo Hot Summer Sale
Save BIG on TiVo Roamio series DVRs while supplies last!

New Roamio OTA ($50)
New Roamio Basic ($150)
Renewed Roamio Basic ($50)
Renewed Roamio Plus ($200)
Renewed Roamio Pro ($300)

Product Lifetime service $349.99 reg. $499.99
I am wondering about future proofing a little. If I order an OTA to get streaming and over the air, could I use it as a Mini to get stuff recorded off cable on the Roamio Pro that I already have? So instead of having a Pro and 3 mini's on my Moca network, I would have a Pro, an OTA and 2 mini's. Thanks.
post #1746 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post
If I order an OTA to get streaming and over the air, could I use it as a Mini to get stuff recorded off cable on the Roamio Pro that I already have? So instead of having a Pro and 3 mini's on my Moca network, I would have a Pro, an OTA and 2 mini's.
Yes, Roamios can all stream the content on each others HDD regardless of the cable/OTA source of the recording. The OTA does not have built-in Moca like the Pro, you would have to add a Moca adapter and your speed is limited to the 10/100 port on the OTA. The Pro will have the faster Moca performance.

I have a Basic, an OTA and a Mini on my network.
The Mini is tied to the Basic with Moca but can play anything on the OTA.
The OTA and Basic can play anything on either, also.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1747 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post
I am wondering about future proofing a little. If I order an OTA to get streaming and over the air, could I use it as a Mini to get stuff recorded off cable on the Roamio Pro that I already have? So instead of having a Pro and 3 mini's on my Moca network, I would have a Pro, an OTA and 2 mini's. Thanks.
Streaming on an OTA is like streaming on a basic Roamio. A Mini does stream its content, but to "stream" from a PC or other device you need a Pro or the Stream box. However, you can use the OTA as a Mini to stream content from your Roamio Pro. Or you can copy the programs to the OTA if so desired.
post #1748 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Yes, Roamios can all stream the content on each others HDD regardless of the cable/OTA source of the recording. The OTA does not have built-in Moca like the Pro, you would have to add a Moca adapter and your speed is limited to the 10/100 port on the OTA. The Pro will have the faster Moca performance.

I have a Basic, an OTA and a Mini on my network.
The Mini is tied to the Basic with Moca but can play anything on the OTA.
The OTA and Basic can play anything on either, also.
MoCA or a 100Mb/s network connection is more than fast enough for streaming recorded content. The only time I see the slower speed come into play is when transferring content to/from my PC. Then the 95Mb/s transfer speeds of the Roamio Basic are noticeably slower than the 220Mb/s transfer rates from my Roamio Pro. But since the transfers typically happen automatically, it still isn't an issue.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1749 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
MoCA or a 100Mb/s network connection is more than fast enough for streaming recorded content.
Yes it is, but the faster speed of the Pro gives you more headroom if you are doing multiple network tasks like simultaneous streaming to 2 devices and downloading content to a server -- easy to run into if you have the server set up to do automatic downloads like mine is.

- kelson h

post #1750 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yes it is, but the faster speed of the Pro gives you more headroom if you are doing multiple network tasks like simultaneous streaming to 2 devices and downloading content to a server -- easy to run into if you have the server set up to do automatic downloads like mine is.
I've never had streaming to my Minis affected by transfers to my PC. The PC transfers slow down and the streaming to the TiVos takes priority. So PC transfer rates could go into the single digits to keep streaming to the Minis or Roamios or Premieres from having issues.

LED DLP
post #1751 of 1767 Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All I'm saying is that with the higher headroom, the transfers wouldn't have to slow down.

- kelson h

post #1752 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
A J

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Roamio OTA with lifetime arrived Monday, so I retired my old CM-7000PAL and have been clawing my way up the learning curve. I'll be asking some questions (hopefully not too dumb) over the coming days and appreciate any help provided.

First off, is there a way to directly switch channels using the number keys? The remote doesn't have a decimal or dash. The workaround on my old DVR was to key in a 5-digit number, i.e. 04602 to switch to ch. 46-2, but I haven't found anything that works with the Roamio.
post #1753 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
My Roamio OTA with lifetime arrived Monday, so I retired my old CM-7000PAL and have been clawing my way up the learning curve. I'll be asking some questions (hopefully not too dumb) over the coming days and appreciate any help provided.

First off, is there a way to directly switch channels using the number keys? The remote doesn't have a decimal or dash. The workaround on my old DVR was to key in a 5-digit number, i.e. 04602 to switch to ch. 46-2, but I haven't found anything that works with the Roamio.
read the manual: http://assets.tivo.com/assets/resour..._9Sept2014.pdf

the dash is the advance button on the remote. its labeled with a dash.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1754 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

The button just above the green button. Its a forward and -

Samsung 65" HU8550-TS01 UHDTV, Denon 3312, Cerwin Vega VE's x 7, DefTech Sub x3
TiVo Raomio OTA 3TB Lifetime, 2 TiVo Mini's, TiVo Stream, HD Homerun Extend, WDTV Live, Roku 3, FireTV
Winegard HD7697 Roof Antenna, RCA Preamp, ACTIONTEC Coax Network Adapter (ECB3500T01)
PC: AMD FX8350, 16GB, LG 16x BD-RW, 1000w PSU, EVGA GTX-980 ACX 2.0, GTX-750Ti, (2) 27" Secondary Monitors
post #1755 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
I agree. Read through the manual to familiarize yourself then don't be afraid to roam through the menus to see all it can do. If you do that there won't be any "clawing" and the questions will be few -- which is why this thread is generally quiet.

- kelson h

post #1756 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
A J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

I have skimmed the manual over the past few days but I didn't find that. On page 12 it states, "To go to a specific channel, use the numbers on your remote control, then press Enter". No mention of the Advance key in that reference to changing channels. And, Find can't locate the word "dash" anywhere in the manual (I had tried to find a solution before asking!).

I hadn't noticed the dash symbol on the Roamio's remote because I never bother with OE remotes. I had already programmed my Harmony 700 by logging onto Logitech's site. After reading your post I found that the key programmed for Advance does insert a dash, so problem solved. Thanks!
post #1757 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If "cable-centric" is a word, then TiVo owns it. Only recently have they started to embrace OTA. Cable feeds with a cable card give you just whole numbers that we have grown up with. Things are changing. For me the "-" is about as useful as the Download Manager.
post #1758 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
If "cable-centric" is a word, then TiVo owns it. Only recently have they started to embrace OTA.
Well, that's a little harsh. Old TiVos used to support OTA, then TiVo decided OTA wasn't important enough to bother including anymore, and now that a few thousand people have cancelled their cable subscriptions, TiVo is making new DVR models for OTA again. It's just supply and demand for which kinds of DVRs they think people will use.
post #1759 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Well, that's a little harsh. Old TiVos used to support OTA, then TiVo decided OTA wasn't important enough to bother including anymore, and now that a few thousand people have cancelled their cable subscriptions, TiVo is making new DVR models for OTA again. It's just supply and demand for which kinds of DVRs they think people will use.
Point taken and I didn't mean to come across as harsh. In fact, just the opposite. I put most of the blame on cable companies and the FCC, but that's for a different debate. I really like my units and have zero chance of OTA (unless I move). I do get that TiVo has to appeal to the market. I hope they stay ahead of their competition. So far, my prediction of the problems with regard to streaming and OTT services on an other DVR are starting to appear. That thread goes ballistic when "TiVo" is mentioned, so I won't mention their name either.
post #1760 of 1767 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Point taken and I didn't mean to come across as harsh. In fact, just the opposite. I put most of the blame on cable companies and the FCC, but that's for a different debate. I really like my units and have zero chance of OTA (unless I move). I do get that TiVo has to appeal to the market. I hope they stay ahead of their competition. So far, my prediction of the problems with regard to streaming and OTT services on an other DVR are starting to appear. That thread goes ballistic when "TiVo" is mentioned, so I won't mention their name either.
My experience with TiVos only goes back to the Series 3 HD and HDXL. During that period TiVo has ALWAYS offered models that supported OTA.

The Roamio OTA is merely a Roamio Basic that does not give the owner the choice of OTA or Cable and supports OTA only.

As far as the TiVo Remote, I would never trade it for a Harmony. The peanut shape fits easily in the hand and the buttons are located in a way that provides easy "No-Look" control after a short period of usage. Important buttons such as Volume, TV Pwr and Input are programmable allowing system control with the TiVo remote. In addition to all of this the Roamio remote uses RF so line of sight is not needed.
Kelson likes this.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #1761 of 1767 Old Today, 07:14 AM
A J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
As far as the TiVo Remote, I would never trade it for a Harmony. The peanut shape fits easily in the hand and the buttons are located in a way that provides easy "No-Look" control after a short period of usage.
For just a TV and TiVo, I wouldn't consider anything other than the TiVo's remote. BUT, I don't want to fumble with separate remotes for my amp, Roku, and Blu-Ray (and, other stuff I sometimes have plugged in).

The TiVo's remote could handle volume and mute on my Onkyo amp, but I would need the amp's remote to switch to Bluetooth for streaming MP3s from my phone. One click on the Harmony handles that. And, when I finish watching a DVD, one click turns off the Blu-Ray player, switches the TV's input and resets the remote's keys from Blu-Ray settings to TiVo settings.

In my case a single remote that is fully functional with all my equipment and is easily programmable on-line works best for me. YMMV.
Kelson likes this.

Last edited by A J; Today at 07:22 AM.
post #1762 of 1767 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
For just a TV and TiVo, I wouldn't consider anything other than the TiVo's remote. BUT, I don't want to fumble with separate remotes for my amp, Roku, and Blu-Ray (and, other stuff I sometimes have plugged in).

The TiVo's remote could handle volume and mute on my Onkyo amp, but I would need the amp's remote to switch to Bluetooth for streaming MP3s from my phone. One click on the Harmony handles that. And, when I finish watching a DVD, one click turns off the Blu-Ray player, switches the TV's input and resets the remote's keys from Blu-Ray settings to TiVo settings.

In my case a single remote that is fully functional with all my equipment and is easily programmable on-line works best for me. YMMV.
I rarely use my Harmony Remotes with my TiVos. I use the harmony Remotes to turn everything on. Then I use the TiVo remote to control the TiVo and the volume controls from my receivers. I just like using my TiVo Slide Pro remotes so much better than my Harmony One remotes.

LED DLP
post #1763 of 1767 Old Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
My experience with TiVos only goes back to the Series 3 HD and HDXL. During that period TiVo has ALWAYS offered models that supported OTA.

The Roamio OTA is merely a Roamio Basic that does not give the owner the choice of OTA or Cable and supports OTA only.
That is basically what I would have written. TiVo's main customer base has been cable so naturally they put out a couple models in Premier and Roamio that were pointed directly at that customer base. But they always had a model that was both cable and OTA. Apparently they perceive the OTA market to be large enough and untapped to make a pointed entry into it with a model directed at that customer base -- the Roamio OTA. They are learning the realities of that market -- cord-cutters are looking to cut cost but even more so they have a pathological hatred of paying a monthly subscription fee for just about anything except Netflix or Prime.
JoeKustra likes this.

- kelson h

post #1764 of 1767 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For just a TV and TiVo, I wouldn't consider anything other than the TiVo's remote. BUT, I don't want to fumble with separate remotes for my amp, Roku, and Blu-Ray (and, other stuff I sometimes have plugged in). . . .

Same here. Way too many devices plugged into my AVR to be able to control with just a TiVo remote. I would be lost without a Harmony.

On the other hand, most of the time is spent in the TiVo and the AVR is usually set to the TiVo input. If I could figure out how to have the TiVo remote both turn on and off the AVR at the same time it turns on/off the HDTV I could let my wife use the peanut which she is used to using for the other TiVo's in the house.

- kelson h

post #1765 of 1767 Old Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So far, my prediction of the problems with regard to streaming and OTT services on an other DVR are starting to appear. That thread goes ballistic when "TiVo" is mentioned, so I won't mention their name either.
Go ahead and mention it. Nobody here goes ballistic because nobody here is trying to convince themselves they didn't make a mistake buying a TiVo.

- kelson h

post #1766 of 1767 Old Today, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Go ahead and mention it. Nobody here goes ballistic because nobody here is trying to convince themselves they didn't make a mistake buying a TiVo.
I'm just trying to be nice. But, after all, it is an antenna company. Years of experience should have prepared them for internet problems. I feel bad for some of the early users who had to learn about the Rovi experience, now who have to find out how "easy" it is to get Netflix and other services to work reliably. But it is fun to watch.
post #1767 of 1767 Old Today, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to be nice. But, after all, it is an antenna company. Years of experience should have prepared them for internet problems.
It's not a bad product but in the face of a $400 Roamio OTA it is very over-priced for what it is.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page