TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Not much incentive for SOny to do that. TiVo has less than 1 million retail subscribers.....
Agreed the incentive is all TiVo's to make happen, but Vue could definitely benefit from any extra subs plus it would stand to be a pretty big deal for something like that to go down, so they would both benefit from the publicity. TiVo would FINALLY be able to get out from under the MSO's grip with their hodge podge cablecard/TA fiasco and and initial install headaches and troubles, which the MSOs distinctly use to their advantage to make it as frustrating as possible so their subs just give up and use their POS MSO equipment, which we all know is horrible. This would be a nice middle ground cost-wise between full cable subscription with all the bogus fees and a total "cord-cutter".

Quote:
.......And I can't see the MSOs allowing it on their TiVos.
......and of course why would they? No one said anything about MSO TiVos. I'm talking about their retail subs and how this can rejuvenate that department for TiVo. They wouldn't even NEED MSOs for this anyway, well other than Sony!
foghorn2 likes this.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations

Last edited by Dave Harper; 03-14-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 541
But the problem is that Tivo is in bed with the MSOs, we are secondary in the revenue priority. That's why they never did something like Sling, it's not like these streaming TV services haven't been around for a while. They don't want to piss off the people that they get most of their money from.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
But to me anyway, Sony IS the MSO, so this is just a different way of dealing with a different MSO. How would dealing with Sony Vue be any different than dealing with Comcast or TWC, etc.? It's not like Comcast gets pissed that TiVo also works on TWC, FiOS, etc.!

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
Old 03-16-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I don't believe so, but I thought I'd ask just in case I was overlooking something:
Is it possible to record the live TV buffer once a new program has started?
What I mean by this is say a program I want to record aired at 4:30-5pm and it's 5:01PM and it's in my buffer, if I push REC it will dump my buffer and instead record the first minute of whatever started at 5pm, even if my playback position is say at 4:32. OTH if it was 4:59pm and I pushed REC it would record the buffer back to 4:30. Any way to record the buffer even if it's not the current show?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I don't believe so, but I thought I'd ask just in case I was overlooking something:
No. In your scenario, if you rewind the buffer to the beginning at 5:01 and press record you will only be offered the choice of setting up a season pass of that show in the buffer. If you want that buffer you need to hit record before the next show starts.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
No. In your scenario, if you rewind the buffer to the beginning at 5:01 and press record you will only be offered the choice of setting up a season pass of that show in the buffer. If you want that buffer you need to hit record before the next show starts.
Thanks, I thought so but wanted to make sure. In this case the worst thing one could do is push REC because not only does it only start recording at the start of your current time program, it dumps your buffer so you can't even watch the end of the program you wanted to I've been burned by this before and always have to make sure the program I want to save is the current program.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4085 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
What I mean by this is say a program I want to record aired at 4:30-5pm and it's 5:01PM and it's in my buffer, if I push REC it will dump my buffer and instead record the first minute of whatever started at 5pm, even if my playback position is say at 4:32. OTH if it was 4:59pm and I pushed REC it would record the buffer back to 4:30. Any way to record the buffer even if it's not the current show?
Yes. You need to do a manual recording to get the time prior to the hour. And have the start time set prior to the hour. Then it will pull the earlier part of the buffer.

At least that used to be the case. Ever since they changed the software to use one tuner for overlapped recordings, and then had to eliminate that feature because it didn't work right. There has been some unusual behavior sometimes.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-16-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes. You need to do a manual recording to get the time prior to the hour. And have the start time set prior to the hour. Then it will pull the earlier part of the buffer.

At least that used to be the case. Ever since they changed the software to use one tuner for overlapped recordings, and then had to eliminate that feature because it didn't work right. There has been some unusual behavior sometimes.
Cool, that worked To answer a couple of my own questions I did some testing, Roamio and HD acted the same. I can set the recording to start anytime, in my example I set it to 4:30(even though the buffer only shows it goes back to 4:45) and the key is to set the ending time a few minutes later than the actual current time(even though I wasn't interested in anything later than 5pm I'd still need to set it later than the current time). After setting the manual recording I'm told my "program has already started, am I sure I want to start?" I push SELECT and wala, the event I wanted to record from the buffer gets recorded, at least as far back as it can. Thanks again for the tip, I was hoping someone might know a way but I didn't think it was possible.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I've had 2 problems in the last couple of days. I came home from work on Tuesday and the tivo spontaneously rebooted just as I walked in. My wife was watching a live station when it happened. Yesterday I cam home and the system was locked up. Judge judy was playing in the upper right corner and the rest of the screen was black. No response from the remote. I unplugged and let it restart. At that point it started recording a game that it should have been recording. It did not record the first part of the game, so the problem happened at least 2 hours before. There was a game recording the day before and the recording showed twice, the bulk of the game and then the part after the reboot. The Roamio is about 18 months old and I don't recall this ever happening before. I'm feeling like I have a time warner dvr again!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 305
There has been some TiVo server problems reported on TCF. This seem to have caused reboots on the Roamio and Premiere boxes. The problem has been reported solved. My Roamio had a spontaneous reboot Tuesday AM during its daily update. Internet access was related also, but since the box is always calling home, that isn't so special. TiVo even suggested that the internet be removed for a while since some boxes ended up in a restart loop.

The latest release notes:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10827910
Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

A complete list of software versions:
https://support.tivo.com/articles/FA...on-Information
markrubin, aaronwt and Kelson like this.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A complete list of software versions:
https://support.tivo.com/articles/FA...on-Information
Thanks for the link. I've suspected for a while that the Tivo was doing 1080p on Hulu.

Quote:
What's new in version 20.5.9

Software version 20.5.9 introduces the following features:
Added features/functionality

Updated Hulu app: Hulu eliminated the "Hulu Plus" branding for its premium service, and now offers a single subscription programming service, simply called Hulu. A subscription to Hulu is required, and no free programming is available except during "free preview" periods as determined by Hulu.

The Hulu app for TiVo (available on Series4 and above) has been updated to include an in-app subscription signup, and support for 1080p content.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Thanks for the link. I've suspected for a while that the Tivo was doing 1080p on Hulu.
Does Hulu also have DD 5.1? I don't have Hulu, but I might try it. For now, I'll stick with Amazon since the 1080/p24 looks good on my TV and it is great on my Roamio.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Does Hulu also have DD 5.1? I don't have Hulu, but I might try it. For now, I'll stick with Amazon since the 1080/p24 looks good on my TV and it is great on my Roamio.
Nope, only stereo at this time.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
But to me anyway, Sony IS the MSO, so this is just a different way of dealing with a different MSO. How would dealing with Sony Vue be any different than dealing with Comcast or TWC, etc.? It's not like Comcast gets pissed that TiVo also works on TWC, FiOS, etc.!
Comcast doesn't compete with TWC, FIOS etc. (for the most part). Sony, Sling etc. all do no matter who your cableCo is.

Big difference, and I'd bet that big cable has told Tivo in no uncertain terms that if they get in bed with a streaming TV provider there's going to be trouble. Tivo has a lot of MSO relationships that go well beyond boxes.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Cool, I didn't know that. In my defense I don't think I've ever scheduled a "manual" recording since I've had a TiVo. Those went out with the VCR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Cool, I didn't know that. In my defense I don't think I've ever scheduled a "manual" recording since I've had a TiVo. Those went out with the VCR.
I haven't done it with my Roamio but would somewhat regularly do it with my dual tuner HD due to program overlaps, it's so nice having 4 tuners to work with. With my HD I'd regularly be recording 2 things and have to watch the third live, now with the Roamio I seem to be regularly recording 3 things with the occasional 4th, so far I've never wished for more than 4 tuners of course if I did I've always got the spare HD online for another 2
Old 03-17-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
so far I've never wished for more than 4 tuners of course if I did I've always got the spare HD online for another 2
With the HD still active you "technically" already have 6 tuners.
"Technically" because you can't effectively stream recordings between a Roamio and an HD

I did exactly the same thing as you with using my HD as an overflow recorder -- that was until the Roamio OTA+lifetime went on sale for $300. Once you add tuner-stealing Mini's in a family situation where multiple TV's are likely to be active simultaneously, 4 tuners is not enough.

The HD finally went into the dumpster last week

- kelson h

Old 03-17-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I was away for a few days, and was able to see my TiVo recordings from my phone then lost access to them on Tuesday night. While speaking to my wife on the phone last night on my way home she tells me that the TiVo hadn't worked all day. When I got home the Roamio had no lights on and was stuck in "waking up" mode and it missed quite a few recordings Wednesday. I unplugged it and it started back up and fortunately it scheduled a replay of "The Americans" since it missed the original airing. In a way I'm glad to hear there was some system glitch and that it's not a bad box. I was getting nervous because before I left my minis kept losing connection to the Roamio until I rebooted the router and it.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

TiVo jumps in bed with Rovi?

It's too quiet here, so maybe this will wake things up:
http://www.streetinsider.com/Hot+M+a.../11446585.html
Old 03-24-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Rovi running TiVo (and probably supplying the guide) doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Especially when Rovi is in the grips of a Hedgefund that just wants to pump up the stock to dump it and cash in, even if that means shattering the company as a result.
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Rovi running TiVo (and probably supplying the guide) doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Especially when Rovi is in the grips of a Hedgefund that just wants to pump up the stock to dump it and cash in, even if that means shattering the company as a result.
I look at my Sony DHG and get a sick feeling. We live in interesting times.
markrubin, osu1991 and harleyjoe43 like this.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Crap! Rovi is the reason I switched from WMC to Tivo in the first place. This sucks. Ruining the guide is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TiVo continues to surprise.

The latest version of Roamio TiVo-Plex (2.5.7) has done away with the 4Mbps/720p limitation and now offer "Original" quality for local and remote content -- that includes 1080p. I'm about to play with it and run it through it's paces.
gregoryperkins likes this.

- kelson h

Old 03-28-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Finally!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Finally!
See post 1597 in the TiVo OTA thread for my observations.

- kelson h

Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

IMO Rovi SUCKS!
They are known for poor customer service and quickly abandoning old platforms, basically opposite of what I've experienced with Tivo! NOT happy about this at all
Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
And the new company will be called...............................TiVo!!

Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

IMO Rovi SUCKS!
They are known for poor customer service and quickly abandoning old platforms, basically opposite of what I've experienced with Tivo! NOT happy about this at all
According to this tweet from Mari Silbey
https://twitter.com/msilbey/status/726028499895607297

Quote:
Rovi's John Burke on TiVo's retail business: "It will be a very important part of the business going forward."
I guess we will see if this is true. But I really don't expect much to change. And hopefully there are no issues with the guide data since they supposedly could switch to the Rovi Guide data as early as May. When TiVos current contract expires with Gracenote.

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-29-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr