TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #2041 of 2065 Old 01-22-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post
Anyone else have problems with Season pass on new programs? I had set up a season pass for HC Six and it missed recording the pilot episode. I manually recorded it at a later showing and explored show for upcoming episodes and found none for next 2 weeks! However I checked the guide for episode 1's repeat and then I saw it worded correctly on info line and then when I checked for upcoming episodes I saw up to episode 3! Is this a Rovi thing?
It pays to check TCF from time to time due to the bad TiVo guide:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi....547571/unread
izzy900 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2065 Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It pays to check TCF from time to time due to the bad TiVo guide:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/communi....547571/unread
Thanks for the info Joe! FYI the episode of Six airing today after Trump is the only Episode one of Six with proper headers, and shows future airings correctly.
post #2043 of 2065 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yes, I've had problems like that a couple of times this year. What I think happened with the shows I missed is that somehow the name of the pilot was slightly different. I had one case where the pilot does not even show up on the Episodes list. There is nothing I know you can do other than check out your To Do list and make sure programs appear in it.

post #2044 of 2065 Old 01-28-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A couple of friends share an issue I've been having. Every day when I switch to the TiVo, there's a left hand column next to my shows, and the shows are sorted by date. I go through and reset the settings back to my preference of no column and to sort alphabetically. It's fine for the rest of the evening.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

It's getting old.
post #2045 of 2065 Old 01-28-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 726
It's a known issue with the latest sw release, have to wait for Tivo to fix it. And they're taking forever.
post #2046 of 2065 Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, Comcast switched many(most) channels to MP4 in my area, and the main thing I've noticed is that the bit rates seem a bit low for some stations. The great thing is that I can store a lot more shows on my hard drive, the really bad thing is that things like football games that used to average 16.8 Mbps are now averaging 3.325 Mbps for their video. You can see the difference - there is a noticeable lack of detail. I may need to go back to OTA.

Note I used KMTTG to copy shows to my PC so I could examine them.
post #2047 of 2065 Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
So, Comcast switched many(most) channels to MP4 in my area, and the main thing I've noticed is that the bit rates seem a bit low for some stations. The great thing is that I can store a lot more shows on my hard drive, the really bad thing is that things like football games that used to average 16.8 Mbps are now averaging 3.325 Mbps for their video. You can see the difference - there is a noticeable lack of detail. I may need to go back to OTA.

Note I used KMTTG to copy shows to my PC so I could examine them.
If your local Comcast is like ones in other areas of the country, they not only switched you from mpeg2 to H.264 but down rezzed your 1080i channels to 720p. Given Comcast does this as well owns NBC News and MSNBC, Comcast knows no shame.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #2048 of 2065 Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
If your local Comcast is like ones in other areas of the country, they not only switched you from mpeg2 to H.264 but down rezzed your 1080i channels to 720p. Given Comcast does this as well owns NBC News and MSNBC, Comcast knows no shame.
They've also down-rezzed their own RSNs as well. I rarely ever use my TiVo to watch TV anymore, occasionally something on a broadcast network channel but other than that my TiVo gets the most use as my main streaming device. That was at least until they screwed up Netflix somehow, I now use a used Sony BDP-S6700 I got cheap off Ebay as my Netflix streamer as it doesn't have the bitrate dropping issue the TiVo does.
post #2049 of 2065 Old 06-03-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
My goodness! You're right, everything is 720P. The down-rezing is probably as big a problem as their compressing the signal so much. Comcast probably figure that so many people are streaming movies at low bit rates that we'll not mind watching TV the same way. It really doesn't work for sports, and I doubt it works for action movies.

For the time being it looks as though my local networks are still mpeg2 and are not down-rezed. However, I no longer see the benefit of subscribing to Cable TV, so will drop it. I can wait for the cable shows to come out on disk and rent them from Netflix. I just wish there were more options for Internet providers so I could drop Comcast completely.
post #2050 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
So as the HDTV makers increase the resolution of the panels, the content providers decrease the resolution of the sources -- heading back to SD. Gotta love the dynamic.
I'll bet 720p looks dreadful when upscaled to a 4K panel.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2051 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Actually decent 720p can look fine on a 4k panel(although I still by far prefer 1080) but not the CRAP Comcrap puts out in my neighborhood! Not only is it lacking resolution and contrast but it macroblocks at most any movement, it's pure garbage IMO.
From what I've seen of their "HD" I'd just as soon they save the bandwidth and do away with TV altogether, instead allocating the bandwidth to better internet, which IMO looks far superior(at least Netflix which is my only source) than Comcast's TV quality
If I didn't have a decent antenna and get all my locals in great quality I'd probably ditch watching live TV and go to streaming exclusively(which I believe a lot of the millennials are doing just that....).
post #2052 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So as the HDTV makers increase the resolution of the panels, the content providers decrease the resolution of the sources -- heading back to SD. Gotta love the dynamic.
Yes, it is sort of amazing that cable TV is getting worse. The one advantage they had over streaming was their higher bit-rates, and now they have the same or lower rates than streaming.

However, 720p doesn't look dreadful on my 4K panel. What I notice is that subtle details are missing - details such as the sparkles in metallic paint are gone.
post #2053 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If I didn't have a decent antenna and get all my locals in great quality I'd probably ditch watching live TV and go to streaming exclusively(which I believe a lot of the millennials are doing just that....).
Jeff-
Do you ever get drop outs from your OTA broadcasts? Back in the 2004 time range I used to get some pretty weird stuff. For example, with about 2 minutes left in the super bowl I lost the HD signal from my antenna and finished watching the game in SD on cable. I never did figure out if that problem was caused by the local Fox
HD broadcast or atmospheric conditions.

It isn't just millennials that are cord cutting. I know lots of people who pay for sling, netflix, amazon, and are now thinking of streaming DirecTV. I never could understand why people would pay more to stream than to get cable TV ...until now that is.
post #2054 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Actually decent 720p can look fine on a 4k panel(although I still by far prefer 1080) but not the CRAP Comcrap puts out in my neighborhood!
I was just betting on quality based on the scale factor. Every pixel in a 720x1280 frame represents a 3x3 pixel box on a 4K panel. So either they make their 4K panel emulate a 720 panel with 3x3 super pixels or they synthesize 89% of the pixels in a 4K panel. That synthesis will probably give you horrible motion blur. I'm not in any hurry to scrap my 65" 1080 plasma for a 65" 4K OLED. I'm good for another 5 yr or more -- at which time I'll be looking towards 80" OLED.

Quote:
We watch about half of our TV as TiVo-recorded "in-season" and the other half as TiVo-recorded "summer binge" where we watch the whole series 1-2 episodes a night now that the season has ended. While we do stream other cable series, the networks are very slow to put their current season on Netflix/Prime, so collecting the season on TiVo is still the best option if you want to watch it in reasonable time. Unfortunately, the bitrate on OTA HD has slowly eroded over time as the networks cram ever more useless sub-channels into their 6mHz slot. It gets very evident in virtually no shadow detail and blocky darks. H.264 would help but the networks would only use that to decrease the bitrate even more to make room for more subs. I think their goal is to find the lowest "HD" quality the public will tolerate. Given that OTA is free, I'm sure they feel they can keep pushing it down as much as they want.
ClearToLand likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2055 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 AM

So here is a question for a Roamio user with FIOS.

Could you please tell me what the FIOS bitrates are for the Primetime HD shows from the big-4 networks -- ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX.
You just need to kmttg to look at the recordings on your TiVo and there is a column for bitrate.

- kelson h

post #2056 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was just betting on quality based on the scale factor. Every pixel in a 720x1280 frame represents a 3x3 pixel box on a 4K panel. So either they make their 4K panel emulate a 720 panel with 3x3 super pixels or they synthesize 89% of the pixels in a 4K panel. That synthesis will probably give you horrible motion blur. I'm not in any hurry to scrap my 65" 1080 plasma for a 65" 4K OLED.
Honestly, these down rezed football games on 720P doesn't look very much different on my 4K TV than it does on my 1080P projector. Sharpness is pretty good, motion is reasonable, and all that I see wrong is a loss of subtle details. Fox (and, if i remember correctly, ESPN and ABC sports) have always broadcast at 720P. Starving the bit rates does a lot of damage to the shadow detail, though. Football games don't have shadows, though.

Anyway, my plan moving forward is to watch as much stuff on disks as possible (Game of Thrones and the like) and watch sports OTA.
post #2057 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 01:26 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Actually decent 720p can look fine on a 4k panel(although I still by far prefer 1080) but not the CRAP Comcrap puts out in my neighborhood! Not only is it lacking resolution and contrast but it macroblocks at most any movement, it's pure garbage IMO.

What do you mean? Comcast says they're the "Mercedes of Cable TV", remember?
post #2058 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Jeff-
Do you ever get drop outs from your OTA broadcasts? Back in the 2004 time range I used to get some pretty weird stuff. For example, with about 2 minutes left in the super bowl I lost the HD signal from my antenna and finished watching the game in SD on cable. I never did figure out if that problem was caused by the local Fox
HD broadcast or atmospheric conditions.
I used to have issues with my local CBS station, which was bad because it was my most watched network....but since getting a different antenna, CBS is now rock solid and it's quality is great as my local CBS station only has one low rez sub channel. ABC is a different story as my local network only allocates DVD bitrate for their 720p "HD" channel
Multipath is a real problem with our current ATSC 1.0 standard, can be great at one moment and potentially nothing the next! Apparently, ATSC 3.0(MPEG4) will be much better in that respect, along with more efficient, but unfortunately will make all our current tuners obsolete
post #2059 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5714 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
slowbiscuit likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2060 of 2065 Old 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5714 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
Quote:
It can look very good a s long as it's not bitstarved. Which unfortunately is typically the case with comcast.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2061 of 2065 Old Today, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was worried that my new 4K OLED would not look very good on 720p Comcast channels. But I was pleasantly surprised to see an acceptable (at least for me) picture. Not much worse than the 1080i locals from Comcast.

Alan Oliver
Tivo user since May 2000
post #2062 of 2065 Old Today, 11:16 AM

Let me try this again in case it just got overlooked with the other discussion going on.

Quote:
So here is a question for a Roamio user with FIOS.

Could you please tell me what the FIOS bitrates are for the Primetime HD shows from the big-4 networks -- ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX.
You just need to use kmttg to look at the recordings on your TiVo and there is a column for bitrate.

- kelson h

post #2063 of 2065 Old Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Let me try this again in case it just got overlooked with the other discussion going on.
If you get the size for an hour recording I can compute the bit rates quickly. Actually, the length isn't too important as long as it's included.

Example: 61 minutes of Fox prime time from my regular cable feed is 5.53GB. I get 12.37Mbps. MPEG-2 also. My Fox feed has two 480i sub-channels.
post #2064 of 2065 Old Today, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
If you get the size for an hour recording I can compute the bit rates quickly. Actually, the length isn't too important as long as it's included.

Example: 61 minutes of Fox prime time from my regular cable feed is 5.53GB. I get 12.37Mbps. MPEG-2 also. My Fox feed has two 480i sub-channels.
I'm just looking for someone with FIOS-TV and a TiVo to run kmttg and see what the bitrates are. I'm curious how they match up with OTA, which has been steadily going downhill with subchannel clutter sucking bitrate from the HD stream.
Hyrax likes this.

- kelson h

post #2065 of 2065 Old Today, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I was worried that my new 4K OLED would not look very good on 720p Comcast channels. But I was pleasantly surprised to see an acceptable (at least for me) picture. Not much worse than the 1080i locals from Comcast.
Alan-
I am sincerely glad for you. I wish I had not noticed the really low bit rates, because my first reaction now is to get mad when ever a show doesn't look good and I probably blame Comcast for issues that were there before the switch to MP4. For example: I was watching a 720p recording of Sleepless in Seattle (one of my wife's favorites) and thought it lacked detail. I noticed that I have a 1080i recording of the same movie from a couple of years ago on another Tivo. Both recordings pretty much look the same (which was not much different than a DVD), but my first reaction was to blame Comcast for screwing up the movie. I'd since read that even the Blu-Ray looks not much different than a DVD.

It is hard not to blame Comcast for everything even when they're not to blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr